Sign in to follow this  
laffite

GENERAL TRIVIA QUESTION THREAD

5,738 posts in this topic

RV is currently posting on other threads so why doesn't someone else just throw up a question. Maybe she has passive-aggressive issues with this thread ;) or, less likely, has simply forgotten. It's been two days since she has posted so why wait any longer.

I see no reason why we cannot have more than one question at a time anyway. If confusion arises, it will get sorted out. Any poster who has an unanswered question can always bring it up again. That way we can keep going.

Next, please ...

:)

I'll put up one; should go down quickly.

Sidney Aaron Chayefsky (1923-1981) was a talented and profilic screenwriter who garnered

3 Oscars, 2 Golden Globes, and a raftload of additional awards and nominations. He took home

these honors under the more familiar nickname that he used for his billing -- PADDY Chayefsky.

How many published rumors can you repeat as to how this Orthodox Jew acquired that Irish

nickname?

Katherine Hepburn in Sylvia Scarlet

Marlene Dietrich in The Devil Is a Woman

Greta Garbo in Anna Karinina

Joan Crawford in Susan and God

Mae West in Klondike Annie

Bette Davis in Cabin in the Cotton

Fred Astaire in Damsel in Distress

Edward Arnold - had to seek character parts after Come and Get It..

I kind of thought Bette Davis was top box office, but in Maria Riva's book on her mother MARLENE

Bette is mentioned as one of the eight, and yes, I guessed at the films...

mr6666;

re; Sidney Aaron = Paddy;

That's one of the three stories I've run across. Another claims that he asked to be let off of

KP on a Sunday in order to attend Mass. When an officer pointed out that he was Jewish even

on official records, our Sidney Aaron claimed (untruthfully) an Irish Mother. He was allowed to

go to Mass, but the name was born.

And the third story, a variation on the second, does not involve an officer's intervention. That one

also claims that he did not get to Mass, and did not get off KP. Whatever the facts of the case,

the name Paddy Chayefsky came into being, and became an honored one in the industry.

One of the two that never regained their formerly popularity may have been Mae West. Isn't it true that when the Code came into being on June 1, 1934, it effectively destroyed her career. She was just hot and suggestive for the Code.

Can I give this a try? Forgive me if I'm jumping in out of turn.

Here are my answers:

the five comeback movies:

Marlene Dietrich - Destry Rides Again

Joan Crawford - The Women

Greta Garbo - Ninotchka

Katherine Hepburn - The Philadelphia Story

Fred Astaire - Broadway Melody of 1940

The two that never regained their popularity - Mae West and Kay Francis

6666 will confirm, but I would like to comment on Kay., to say I'm sure you're right. I remember an RO intro of a movie (the title escapes me), made in 1938 where she was cast as a mother, not something a still pretty and young looking actress would go for. The studio considered her through but owed her more films so they tried to give her roles that she would surely refuse. Kay surprised them by accepting the roles. As RO said, Kay didn't care, unlike most of her fellow actors, she was in it primarily for the money.

Molo, I'm sure you did not jump in out of turn. If you have answers, go for it. I only hope I haven't done so with the commentary. If so, someone let me know. Maybe the commentary should wait till the end. Thanks.

This is my first and maybe only chance at this.

Here's a movie quote You can't run away from trouble. There ain't no place that far.

Please identify the:

Movie title?

Movie Character who said it?

The Actor who played the character?

That's all that's required.

There is also something unique accomplished by the actor as well as previously by one of his costars in the film.

Bonus praise if you can identify his accomplishment and the name and accomplishment of his costar.

I hope this isn't too easy for you guys.

Lafitte,

I also thank you for your comments.

I will return at 1:00pm EST today to confirm unless someone gets this within the next 30 minutes.

Yes that's right.

His unique accomplishment was that he was the first African American actor to have his performance awarded by the academy. He was given an honorary Oscar for his role.

His costar Hattie McDaniel was the first African American actress to win a competitive Oscar. The suppporting Oscar of 1939.

Your turn cmvgor.

Message was edited by: molo14 to insert actress for McDaniel

Okay, its on me. I happen to have this opportunity because for the first time ever I got that danm

"Quote Index" to work. Now I would like help in tracking down a quote that has, for the most part,

eluded me.

A Police official of some sort (Chief, Commissioner, Precinct Captain, whatever) says: "I tell all my

boys to drink Scotch, not vodka. I want people to know they're drunk, not stupid."

I have traced this down to a film title, but no further. If anyone can name character, actor, person

addressed, etc, I will really appreciate it.

Okay, this hasn't worked out. That quote, I am led to believe, is somewhere in Bulworth, but I've been unable to get any more than that on it. I'll just drop it, and maybe get lucky someday.

Let's try a round of the Kevin Bacon Game. Can you get from Richard Burton to our Mr. B. in six titles or less? I'll leave this open for 24 hours.

Burton - Clint Eastwood Where Eagles Dare

Eastwood - Burt Reynolds City Heat

Reynolds - Demi Moore Striptease

Demi Moore - Bacon A Few Good Men

You are RIGHT of course.

...The one I had in mind was much more complex:

Burton and Victor Mature in The Robe

Mature and Clark Gable in Betrayed

Gable and Sidney Poitier in Band Of Angels

Poitier and River Phoenix in Little Nikita

Phoenix and Keifer Sutherland in Stand By Me

And Sutherland, like Bacon, was one of the Flatliners

Its yours.

cmvgor

There was a similar thread (six degrees of anybody, basically) on here. I'll see if I can find it and revive it.

Why, thanks, CM. I really appreciate that, considering the source. scsu did, indeed revive the other thread, and I think I got lucky there, just noodling on the keyboard without knowing where I was going. But, again, thanks.

With the "Degrees of Seperation" squad operating elsewhere, let me pose another question of the

"General Trivia" sort: Identify this utterance as to source, and name what it refers to.

"lt's the last of the V-8 Inteceptors!"

Go.

I've been working on this one cmvgor!

This was uttered by the mechanic in *Mad Max 2* 1981.

It refers to the car driven by Max which is a customized Ford Falcon XB GT coup. It is also known as (and more properly to some fans) "The Pursuit Special."

Here it is:

RNEM734J.jpg

Is this right?

molo14;

Spot-on!

Max confiscates the Interceptor and uses it in tracking down the outlaw bikers who killed his wife and son. In the second of the series, Road Warrier, Max has the Interceptor booby-trapped

to deal with gasoline thieves. A gas thief called Toady sets it off and dies in the blast.

Its your turn to pose a question.

Thanks cmvgor,

Alright then,

Please name this actor:

He was born in Canada but considered Milwaukee his hometown.

He had a successful radio show in the 1940's

He was known for light comedies but also made notable appearances in dramatic films.

He was often cast in supporting parts.

He was married four times.

He was never nominated for an Oscar.

He was over 6 feet tall.

He was known for his double takes.