Sign in to follow this  
Film_Fatale

MGM: When the Lion Roars

10 posts in this topic

Anyone here a big fan of this magnificent 6-hour look at MGM's Golden Age?

And wishing it would eventually be released on DVD? B-)

I remember this documentary, and I, too, wish it would be released on DVD in the future.

There is a companion book available under the same title that's worth taking a look at in the mean time.

I'll vote for this one too. MGM When The Lion Roars hosted by Patrick Stewart is a movie fans dream.

It should have been released LONG AGO on DVD. I recall a 1999 Home Theater Forum discussion with Warner executives who then mentioned that the title was good to go for an upcoming release. But then nothing happened.

Here's to hoping.

Another documentary I'd like to recommend to everyone reading this is "Cleopatra: The Film that Changed Hollywood" - a great piece documenting not only that film's flawed journey to the screen but also providing a great time capsule on film making in the 60s. Great stuff!

I saw it originally on TBS I think and bought the VHS tape when it came out. It's a GREAT Documentary, it's still very sad to see a great studio fall like it did.

> {quote:title=Bablefish wrote:}{quote}

> I saw it originally on TBS I think and bought the VHS tape when it came out. It's a GREAT Documentary, it's still very sad to see a great studio fall like it did.

It was indeed the saddest event in the history of Hollywood, marking as it did the end of its Golden Age.

Good news - according to digitalbits.com, WHV has scheduled a DVD release of *MGM: When the Lion Roars* for January 20, 2009. B-)

> {quote:title=NZ wrote:}{quote}

> It should have been released LONG AGO on DVD. I recall a 1999 Home Theater Forum discussion with Warner executives who then mentioned that the title was good to go for an upcoming release. But then nothing happened.

I like the fact that in addition to the stand-alone release, the whole 6 hours of the documentary is included as a "bonus feature" in the Ultimate Collector's Edition of The Wizard of Oz on blu-ray. (But the doc itself is not in a blu-ray)