Sign in to follow this  
ILoveRayMilland

You're Sick. Which Movie Do You Want?

65 posts in this topic

I love Musicals, especially with lots of dancing! Fred Astaire, Cyd Charise, in THE BANDWAGON,All old Disney movies. I remember being very sick as a young girl and watching The Wonderful World of Disney,Professor Ludwick Von Drake was on I couldn't stop laughing. I also remember having the Chicken-Pox,and the Mumps and watching Peter Pan with Mary Martin, oh how I wished I could fly! Now that I'm all grown-up, when I'm sick, I like The Thin Man, I love Wm. Powell. Any Bette Davis movie, especially, NOW VOYAGER. But I must admit I still long for THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF DISNEY!

I usually pick something that I feel comfortable with. Something that I've seen a million times and don't have to concentrate on and not worry about dozing off in the middle of it.

If I were home sick in bed, and I had a DVD player, I'd want the following:

West Side Story (my alltime favorite movie, hands down)

The Sound of Music

Wizard of Oz

Georgy Girl

Midnight Cowboy

The Graduate

South Pacific

Easy Rider

Bonnie & Clyde

Dr. Zhivago (maybe)

Off the top of my head:

"3 Godfathers"- The Duke of course

"Song of the South"

"People Will Talk"

"Singing in the Rain"

These are just a few that would make me feel better.......

Hello all,

This thread is being locked, since it has had no new activity in almost 3 years. If you want to you can always make a new thread on this topic so you can get fresh new opinions and thoughts!

Thanks

Pete

If I were home sick in bed, and I had a DVD player, I'd want the following:

West Side Story (my alltime favorite movie, hands down)

The Sound of Music

Wizard of Oz

Georgy Girl

Midnight Cowboy

The Graduate

South Pacific

Easy Rider

Bonnie & Clyde

Dr. Zhivago (maybe)

These are the same films that I'd always want if I were home sick, but West Side Story is the one that I'd want most of all, if I were home sick in bed.

There's no need to be insulting.

Oh, you mean "IF you were sick, which movie....?"

It would be a comedy. Maybe PEE-WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE, or THE JERK, or DR. STRANGELOVE.

It's interesting how this 7-year old thread was suddenly revived.

If I were really sick, like so sick all the energy I could muster was lying on the couch (or in bed) and watch movies, I'd have to watch really fun movies that could entertain and provided I wasn't falling in and out of sleep, I'd also use the time to watch old classics that I haven't seen.

My fun movies:

Anything with Errol Flynn- Seeing that gorgeous face would definitely take my mind of being sick, I'd probably watch these ones first: The Adventures of Robin Hood, Gentleman Jim, Dodge City, Uncertain Glory and Never Say Goodbye.

Musicals, I love musicals- Meet Me in St. Louis, Singin' in the Rain, Easter Parade, Summer Stock, Funny Face

Bette Davis horror movies- What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?, Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte

Classics I haven't seen: Gone With the Wind, Random Harvest, Chinatown, Doctor Zhivago, The Bridge on the River Kwai, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (filmed in my hometown too!), High Noon, Shane... Just to name a few.

I remember a Memorial Day weekend about 20 years ago when it was really hot in NYC -- about 95 degrees. I was shivering -- fever and chills. I somehow got it into my head to watch "warm" movies, and so I watched a triple bill of:

Lawrence of Arabia

The Sheltering Sky

Mountains of the Moon

Though I like it well enough, I've never been a huge fan of LoA -- I feel that A Passage to India is David Lean's masterpiece. But I loved the other two films, which I hadn't seen before. 

A comedy, musical, or animated Disney movie.

-The Wizard of Oz

-The Sound of Music

-Singin' in the Rain

-Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

-Dumbo

-Peter Pan

-Fantasia

-Grease

-Monty Python and the Holy Grail

-Mary Poppins

Or Casablanca

It's interesting how this 7-year old thread was suddenly revived.

If I were really sick, like so sick all the energy I could muster was lying on the couch (or in bed) and watch movies, I'd have to watch really fun movies that could entertain and provided I wasn't falling in and out of sleep, I'd also use the time to watch old classics that I haven't seen.

My fun movies:

Anything with Errol Flynn- Seeing that gorgeous face would definitely take my mind of being sick, I'd probably watch these ones first: The Adventures of Robin Hood, Gentleman Jim, Dodge City, Uncertain Glory and Never Say Goodbye.

Musicals, I love musicals- Meet Me in St. Louis, Singin' in the Rain, Easter Parade, Summer Stock, Funny Face

Bette Davis horror movies- What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?, Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte

Classics I haven't seen: Gone With the Wind, Random Harvest, Chinatown, Doctor Zhivago, The Bridge on the River Kwai, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (filmed in my hometown too!), High Noon, Shane... Just to name a few.

If I were real sick and lying on the couch (this did happen to me one time!) and could only watch TV, I would want to watch some fantasy films, Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid, Mad About Men and Miranda with GLynis Johns.

I have a great memory for an incident that happened when I was only 3!  MY sister was 6 and remembers it.  I was lying on the couch wiht a really high fever.  I could barely raise my head from the pillow.  Our mother had put on the TV and I remember watching for the first time - Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid!  Most notably, I remembered the scene where William Powell is standing near the water and of course only he hears an eerie voice "humming".  Then I remember how beautiful Ann BLyth looked.  He had brought her into the house and let her take a bubble bath!  Well, his wife was out of town --  lol!  Well, she loved the wife's combs and put them in her hair.  Of course his wife returned unexpectedly and saw all the soapy water - and where were her combs? 

ABout the time when the wife returned I was so engrossed that I didn't hear OR NOTICE  the doctor come in with his medical bag.  THey made house calls - rarely, but did in the mid-50's.  MY temp. was 103.1 our mother remembered.  When he gave me a pennicillin shot - OUCH!  And then my gaze riveted right back to the TV!  So that is an early memory I loved.  I had a very bad case of tonsillitis for some reason. 

I have the film now and each time I watch it I remember it!  A really nice early memory. :)

• Like 2

If I were real sick and lying on the couch (this did happen to me one time!) and could only watch TV, I would want to watch some fantasy films, Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid, Mad About Men and Miranda with GLynis Johns.

I have a great memory for an incident that happened when I was only 3!  MY sister was 6 and remembers it.  I was lying on the couch wiht a really high fever.  I could barely raise my head from the pillow.  Our mother had put on the TV and I remember watching for the first time - Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid!  Most notably, I remembered the scene where William Powell is standing near the water and of course only he hears an eerie voice "humming".  Then I remember how beautiful Ann BLyth looked.  He had brought her into the house and let her take a bubble bath!  Well, his wife was out of town --  lol!  Well, she loved the wife's combs and put them in her hair.  Of course his wife returned unexpectedly and saw all the soapy water - and where were her combs? 

ABout the time when the wife returned I was so engrossed that I didn't hear OR NOTICE  the doctor come in with his medical bag.  THey made house calls - rarely, but did in the mid-50's.  MY temp. was 103.1 our mother remembered.  When he gave me a pennicillin shot - OUCH!  And then my gaze riveted right back to the TV!  So that is an early memory I loved.  I had a very bad case of tonsillitis for some reason. 

I have the film now and each time I watch it I remember it!  A really nice early memory. :)

Night Nurse ! Barbara & Joan can take care of me anytime !

Wish I had seen Night Nurse when I was very sick.  I remember the severe supervisor  clearing her throat - ahem!  and Joan Blondell hiding under the covers when she checked to see if they were in bed!   She had just imitated her; all too well!

Wish I had seen Night Nurse when I was very sick.  I remember the severe supervisor  clearing her throat - ahem!  and Joan Blondell hiding under the covers when she checked to see if they were in bed!   She had just imitated her; all too well!

Love Night Nurse but I wouldn't say it is a movie that makes one feel relaxed.    Well unless one is the Gable character.  He got the big sleep at the end of that picture! 

A comedy, musical, or animated Disney movie.

-The Wizard of Oz

-The Sound of Music

-Singin' in the Rain

-Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

-Dumbo

-Peter Pan

-Fantasia

-Grease

-Monty Python and the Holy Grail

-Mary Poppins

Or Casablanca

A neat list!  IF I were sick - another time I would want Mary Poppins, Dumbo and Peter Pan!  Plus all of the ones you mentioned!  Taking a long time to get better, as I think the Dr. "Film Guy" recommends all of the 30's, and 40's films Bette made.  So that recuperation is really getting more positive! 

About a year ago I had a spine surgery for Scoliosis (still waiting to get my posture back)  and had had a surgery in 2010 to start with.  I was delighted that the hospital actually had TCM!  I proudly watched THe Little Foxes and Mr. SKeffington.  Bette was marvelous! 

Seriously, I was there nearly 3 weeks with complications.  During that time I saw many other films on my son's laptop.  Mom did not get bored, and now - darn it, have to go and do my exercises! 

Love Night Nurse but I wouldn't say it is a movie that makes one feel relaxed.    Well unless one is the Gable character.  He got the big sleep at the end of that picture! 

That's right!  Not very relaxing.  Of course he deserved the ultimate treatment!  HE did punch out Barb Stanwyck's character who did save her little patients.  In the end she really got rescued!  AN interesting film.

Bette Davis going blind slowly.

Great film, but a real tearjerker.  Loved Bette in Dark Victory.  Geraldine and George were great too!

That's right!  Not very relaxing.  Of course he deserved the ultimate treatment!  HE did punch out Barb Stanwyck's character who did save her little patients.  In the end she really got rescued!  AN interesting film.

Oh yes, a very interesting and in your face film.    I saw the film years ago when I was just discovering pre-code movies and this film really helped me understand the difference between pre-code and production code films.    So raw and so real without any of the production code window dressing.    But yea,  anyone that puts a hand on Barb deserves what they get.  I love the ending where Barb and her want-a-be boyfriend have a laugh about what happens to the Gable brute.

As for films I would want to see why sick; well 30s screwball comedies would be my ticket unless I had broken ribs.   I could laugh myself to a good nights rest.    

I haven't seen the film that you are talking about, but it sounds interesting.  I hope TCM plays it in the future. 

re: the penicillin and immediately forgetting the pain because of the movie.  That's the great thing about movies.  They allow you to escape the present day and be transported into some other world.  Whether you're in a world like 'Mr Peabody' or Meet Me in St. Louis or even something serious like All About Eve or crazy like What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?, if the story is compelling and interesting, you get swept up in it and pretty soon 2 hours of your sickness have passed you by.  Movies are the perfect distraction for sick or stressed or what have you. 

I remember that I discovered All About Eve while lying on the couch with major stomach issues.  Another time, I discovered Holiday Inn while lying in bed with a fever and sinus infection.  Watching an entertaining film is definitely a good way to make time pass.