Sign in to follow this  
ILoveRayMilland

You're Sick. Which Movie Do You Want?

65 posts in this topic

Well I AM "down" on a regular basis, confined to the house with no activity allowed. I typically reach for long, hard to get into type dramas, sometimes foreign films because I KNOW I have to stick with it. 

One great film I saw when sick was THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM and another was LAWRENCE OF ARABIA. 

• Like 1

I swear this is true.  Twenty years ago I did go home from work sick.  I fixed some tea, honey and rum and turned on the TV.   Misery had just started on the second station I picked and I kept it on to see Kathy Bates win her Oscar.  After what she put poor James Caan through my ailments didn't seem so bad; okay, maybe my concoction helped too.   No Down Payment was on next.        

When I'm sick, I like to see a whole bunch of Abbott and Costello films, such as the ones TCM showed last night. They are so funny and they require no serious thinking.

• Like 1

From your list I'd have to choose Laura, It Happened One Night, or All About Eve.

If we can branch out, it might be the Mapp & Lucia series (British, for Channel 4), The Women, Top Hat, The Gay Divorcee, or Flying Down to Rio.  If I owned them, The Trouble with Angels and The Parent Trap would also be in rotation.

If sick at holiday time, probably Christmas in Connecticut or The Bishop's Wife.

I want to see "Mr . Blandings Builds His Dream House " I am lover of Carey Grant. Not just this movie but all his his movies when I am sick, which today, I am truly sick with a winter time cold/flu. Watching these movies makes me feel a little comfort. Thank you, Shawanda Williams

We have been down since Thursday with severe colds. We have spent most of the time drifting in and out of sleep except for when we need to prepare chicken soup or new gallon of orange juice from concentrate. I am waiting now for chicken soup to heat so I can return to bed with mug of it.

None need feel sorry for us as we are resting comfortably due to OTC medications and pharmaceutical relief of muscle aches. 

We had excellent weekend because: BBCAmerica was having marathon of: Doctor Who. We know all episodes and so it was as if we were with old friends. Since their marathon ended we have been watching: Harry Potter movies. We place them on repeat and so we do not have to worry when movie ends. We change movie to next in series when one of us feels ambitious. They are simple stories told in engaging manner and so do not tax us. We have watched them often before and so they are as if old friends also.

• Like 3

Harold and Maude. A romantic comedy classic that talks about what it means to be truly alive. Or something like So I Married An Axe Murderer. Another romantic comedy which makes for a perfect 'sick-in-bed-and-can't-get-up' movie. Would love to watch pet movies or animal movies or play simple pet games like these too. I remember a couple of months ago I was down with the flu for 5 days at a stretch and re-watched classics like Beethoven, Babe (love the story; this pig is adorable) and Lady and the Tramp (have loved this one from as far back as I can remember, cocker spaniels and all). Pets always make you feel good, ill or otherwise  :)

• Like 1

Harold and Maude. A romantic comedy classic that talks about what it means to be truly alive. Or something like So I Married An Axe Murderer. Another romantic comedy which makes for a perfect 'sick-in-bed-and-can't-get-up' movie. Would love to watch pet movies or animal movies or play simple pet games like these too. I remember a couple of months ago I was down with the flu for 5 days at a stretch and re-watched classics like Beethoven, Babe (love the story; this pig is adorable) and Lady and the Tramp (have loved this one from as far back as I can remember, cocker spaniels and all). Pets always make you feel good, ill or otherwise  :)

I love So I Married an Axe Murderer.

"...WOMAN. WO... MAN."

• Like 1

Blandings is definitely on my list, too!

I want to see "Mr . Blandings Builds His Dream House " I am lover of Carey Grant. Not just this movie but all his his movies when I am sick, which today, I am truly sick with a winter time cold/flu. Watching these movies makes me feel a little comfort. Thank you, Shawanda Williams

• Like 1

We have been down since Thursday with severe colds. We have spent most of the time drifting in and out of sleep except for when we need to prepare chicken soup or new gallon of orange juice from concentrate. I am waiting now for chicken soup to heat so I can return to bed with mug of it.

None need feel sorry for us as we are resting comfortably due to OTC medications and pharmaceutical relief of muscle aches. 

We had excellent weekend because: BBCAmerica was having marathon of: Doctor Who. We know all episodes and so it was as if we were with old friends. Since their marathon ended we have been watching: Harry Potter movies. We place them on repeat and so we do not have to worry when movie ends. We change movie to next in series when one of us feels ambitious. They are simple stories told in engaging manner and so do not tax us. We have watched them often before and so they are as if old friends also.

That was great you had the Doctor Who series on BBC to help with muscle aches.  They are really fun to watch!  Hope you are all recovered and have a Happy New Year!

Blandings is definitely on my list, too!

Cary is almost No. 1 on my list too!  I love all of his movies.  Every performance has something special, including The AWful Truth and Mr. Blandings.  Cary left a great legacy for us.  I just love Bringing up Baby too!  What a great comedy enhanced by Katharine Hepburn.   She and Cary were a joy to watch!

Probably any John Wayne Movie, or any western with good actors, James Stewart, Glenn Ford, Clint Eastwood etc...I also Like Barbara Stanwyck, Katherine Hepburn, Betty Davis, Deborah Kerr, Lauren Bacall, Grace|Kelly, Lucille Ball, Rosalind Russell, ...to name only a few. I could fill the screen with movies I like but i usually pick them based on who is in them, However now that the TCM has opened the doors to the oldies I find myself drawn to the old black and whites and some of those good oldies like David Niven, George Brent, Boggy, Claude Rains, Gary Cooper, Cary Grant, Clark Gable so many I like etc..etc.I like the old war movies too, and a good old comedy that makes me laugh..slap stick...!

If I had a cold I would want to watch Pride Of The Marines. If I had the flu I would want to watch Destination Tokyo, Air Force, and Action In The North Atlantic. The flu usually takes longer to recover from. But I've got cancer. And my doctor wants me to have radiation therapy. So I want to indulge in a guilty pleasure of mine: disaster films. Most disaster films are disasters in themselves, but there are a few gems out there. And I bought one on the weekend. The Day The Earth Caught Fire with Leo McKern and Janet Munro. If I'm going to feel really lousy for six horrid weeks I want to see someone having a worse time than me.

Austin2