Sign in to follow this  
theoldbag

Little known movies you love and would recommend

56 posts in this topic

So nice to hear of another LILI fan!! Isn't it so utterly uplifting? I think I'll watch it now.

I thought of two other obscure movies:

1. Christmas in July--- I've only heard of it because it was on the Preston Sturges DVD set I got. It is a great film--hilarious, touching, all the things Preston's films usually are. And in my opinion Dick Powell's finest performances--he's so genuine. "If you can't sleep at night, it isn't the coffee, it's the bunk!"

2. The Last Man on Earth---A fun scary Better Than It's B-Budget movie with Vincent Price, need I say more? (It's basically what I Am Legend was based on; though it didn't get screen credit, it's a bit obvious)

I prefer *Lili*, as the Broadway musical, *Carnival!*, because the score is so wonderful. The show absolutely blew me away, all those years ago. I was sort of hoping they were finally going to make the film version with Anne Hathaway (who did the role of Lili in a concert version of the musical) but nothing came of that.

> {quote:title=LonesomePolecat wrote:}{quote}

> Most people know Princess Mononoke and his oscar winner Spirited Away , but my favorite is *Howl's Moving Castle* . I also would recommend *Porco Rosso* ,*Whisper of the Heart* , and my other all time favorite *Castle in the Sky* , which has one of the greatest beginnings ever.

*Howl's Moving Castle* is an unforgettable epic, I badly want to see it again!

>I prefer Lili, as the Broadway musical, Carnival!, because the score is so wonderful. The show absolutely blew me away, all those years ago. I was sort of hoping they were finally going to make the film version with Anne Hathaway (who did the role of Lili in a concert version of the musical) but nothing came of that.

Really? Though the music is lovely, the film has such a wonderful charm about it that, to me, it's just not good enough. Maybe it's Leslie Caron and those particualr puppets with Mel's voice. Still, by all means, they should make a movie of Carnival, since there isn't one anyway.

These 3 Australian films are not particularly esoteric but they're worth a mention here. I was lucky enough to be able to rent them at my local library. Wouldn't it be so nice if tcm would air them...

Strictly Ballroom - My Brilliant Career - The Adventures of Priscilla Queen of the Desert

One more - Pascali's Island with Helen Mirren, Ben Kingsley, and Charles Dance

Another one of my all-time favorites: David Mamet's House of Games

Starring Lindsay Crouse and Joe Montagna, it's abt a woman's quest to find her true self. Well, she does in ways that are horrifying. The performances are first rate and the story...well if you haven't seen it I won't spoil it for you. Let's just say it's abt con men and thieves.

I believe it's an HBO movie, I don't know if it's on DVD but it is on VHS.

> {quote:title=Poinciana wrote:}{quote}

> I believe it's an HBO movie, I don't know if it's on DVD but it is on VHS.

"House of Games" may have shown up on HBO and other movie channels, but it was made to be released in theaters. Actually, I seem to remember that it was originally distributed by the now-defunct Orion Pictures.

And, yes, like most David Mamet pictures, it's dynamite, once you get past the heavy language.

P.S. There are actually two editions of this movie on DVD: one from MGM and one from Criterion.

Thanks for the info. Yes, we did see it first on HBO, I had no idea it was a theatrical release. And it is fun in a way to get into Mamet's rhythmic speech thing, but like you said, it can be "heavy" going.

I did. Is she still married too him? Really like her in anything. And Joe can do no wrong either. Wish tcm would show Searching for Bobby Fisher some time.

> {quote:title=LonesomePolecat wrote:}{quote}

> Most people know Princess Mononoke and his oscar winner Spirited Away , but my favorite is *Howl's Moving Castle* . I also would recommend *Porco Rosso* ,*Whisper of the Heart* , and my other all time favorite *Castle in the Sky* , which has one of the greatest beginnings ever.

Have you seen *Only Yesterday* ? As far as I know, it's never been dubbed, but if you like *Whisper of the Heart* you should take to it. I've read that although Disney now has the rights, they won't release it because it's not a children's movie (as if his other films are just for children!).

I have to admit that I'm not a big fan of either *Porco Rosso* or *Spirited Away* -- I see moments of brilliance in them, but for my tastes, there's too much clutter between the excellent bits. (The soot sprites feeding the furnace in *Spirited Away* are my favorite part.)

Well, I was going to start a thread, but adding on to this one seems more appropriate.

I want to recommend All Of Me (1984) Carl Reiner's film starring Lily Tomlin & Steve Martin, showing on TCM Fri April 24th at midnight eastern.

If you like kooky angel/ghost sentimental type films like Here Comes Mr Jordon, most likely you'll enjoy similar themed AOM too.

Lily Tomlin is great as is Steve Martin, if you can suspend your belief enough to swallow the idea Lily controls one half of his body. Martin is just wacky enough to pull it off. This film simply would not have worked without such super talented actors/comedians.

I bought this DVD in the used $5 bin solely based on Reiner's reputation and it's become one of my favorites, I was so glad to see it included on TCM's schedule.

> {quote:title=Poinciana wrote:}{quote}

> I did. Is she still married too him? Really like her in anything. And Joe can do no wrong either. Wish tcm would show Searching for Bobby Fisher some time.

No, apparently they divorced in 1990.

I have never seen Carnival, but I do have the original Broadway cast album, with Jerry Orbach who played the puppeteer and Anna marie Allberghetti who played lili. While I liked the music .... to me at least, I love the movie magic of Lili the movie much more. Leslie Caron's magical performance of the innocent orphan. Mel Ferrer as the complex puppeteer. Brittle and bitter from personal tradgedy, yet full of depth and renewed life from his unrequited love for Lili. Not knowing how to handling this young innocent flower. Because of his shyness and fear of being rejected, can only communicate his feelings through the magic of his puppets, until the climactic end, Lili finally realizes it is he, that is the one who truly loves her.

So wonderful. I just taped it on TCM last week. I really do hope it comes to DVD soon.

I did not have the pleasure to see Anne Hathaway's version in Carnival. i think she would be terrific in the part as Lili. She has a wholesomeness about her that would fit that role very well.

I thought of more movies

" You Can Never Tell" With Dick Powell. It is the story about a german shepherd that is murdered, then comes back to life as a human to find his killer. Falls in love with his mistress in the process. Wonderful movie!

I also like

"Mr Peabody and the Mermaid" with William Powell and Anne Blyth

M'Liss with Anne Shirley

Peter Ibbston with gary Cooper

I thought of more movies

" You Can Never Tell" With Dick Powell. It is the story about a german shepherd that is murdered, then comes back to life as a human to find his killer. Falls in love with his mistress in the process. Wonderful movie!

I also like Mr Peabody and the Mermaid" with William Powell and Anne Blyth

M'Liss with Anne Shirley; Peter Ibbston with Gary Cooper

Message was edited by: romanticatheart

Message was edited by: romanticatheart

REMEMBER THE NIGHT

No one seems to know this movie, except Robert Osbourne and me. Those of you who do might also agree of how good it is. of all the amazing films that is never mentioned as one of the greatest films ever made, this is the best (to me). Barbara Stanwyck, Fred MacMurray, Sterling Holloway, Beulah Bondi, all by Preston Sturgess. AMAZING and awesome. Funny, smart, sweet, surprising, fantastic.

Philip Kaufman's 1988 film "The Unbearable Lightness of Being" would be great. It is a great film and would be nice to add to the schedule one night. Perhaps collect some new admirers.

Also, some Alan Rudolph Indies from the 80's, "The Moderns", "Choose Me" and "Trouble in Mind".

I know and love this movie also. I saw it on TCM not too long ago. You are right it's a great movie with an unbeatable cast. Of course I love just about anything Bondi is in.

> {quote:title=BRADE wrote:}{quote}

> Philip Kaufman's 1988 film "The Unbearable Lightness of Being" would be great. It is a great film and would be nice to add to the schedule one night. Perhaps collect some new admirers.

>

I haven't seen *The Unbearable Lightness of Being* since shortly after its original video release around 1988 or 1989, but I still have great memories of it and would love to watch it again soon. I remember Lena Olin and Daniel Day-Lewis being very, very good in it.

Also released around the same time was Paul Mazursky's *Enemies, A Love Story*, which I enjoyed almost as much.

Gee, after reading the code of conduct, all I dare say is:

Penny Serenade, Ma and Pa Kettle , or Deadend kids movies are very funny and entertaining.

The Three Stooges too -

I have been reading through your recommendations and comments on films that I know and some that are new to me. I few of my favorite lesser-known films include My Brilliant Career, 84 Charing Cross Road, Remember The Night and I am really looking forward to seeing So Long At The Fair (1950) again this evening. I would also recommend the following classic and ?contemporary? titles.

Mr. Bug Goes To Town (1941)~from the studio of Max Fleischer, the man who created Gulliver?s Travels (1939), and perhaps my all time favorite classic animated tale. Mr. Bug tells the tale of Hoppity the grasshopper as he explores the big city and falls in love with Honey the bumblebee. This film will make a classic movie fan of the youngest viewer.

Orchestra Wives (1942)~the film is primarily a soap opera/melodrama with the focus on the wives of members of a big band, but the real attraction is Glenn Miller and his band as ?characters? in the film. The actresses playing the wives include Ann Rutherford, Carole Landis and Lynn Bari, with George Montgomery as Ann Rutherford?s husband and appearances by the Nicholas Brothers, Cesar Romero and Jackie Gleason.

The Locket (1946)~a melding of film noir and psychological thriller starring Larraine Day, Robert Mitchum, Gene Raymond and Brian Aherne. I ?discovered? this film and Strange Loves Of Martha Ivers (1946) at about the same time, and both films have similar plotlines in the form of a secret from the past that threatens an unstable woman?s carefully crafted facade.

Dancing with a Stranger (1984)~starring Miranda Richardson and Rupert Everett and directed by Mike Newell. This film has a neo-noir sensibility and is similar to Heavenly Creatures and Cause C?l?bre (1987) with the story based on an actual murder case.

A Month in the Country (1987)~each of the lead actors, Kenneth Branagh, Colin Firth and Natasha Richardson, is probably better know for their later work and this might not be the first film for each, but they look as though they had just left university/acting school. The story is set immediately after World War I and shows the many sinister ways in which the war affected these men?s spirits, and their attempts to rebuild their lives.

Another goodie I'm pleased to recommend is Hotel Du Lac. A Brit pic from 1986, it stars the wonderful Anna Massey as a plain little woman who just happens to write romance novels for a living. She vacations in Switzerland at Hotel Du Lac and meets up with some interesting characters. Co-starring Denholm Eliot, Patricia Hodge, and Googie Withers, it is a charmer.

> {quote:title=george1212 wrote:}{quote}

> Gee, after reading the code of conduct, all I dare say is:

>

> Penny Serenade, Ma and Pa Kettle , or Deadend kids movies are very funny and entertaining.

> The Three Stooges too -

There's a bunch of *Ma and Pa Kettle* movies on the July schedule. Maybe half of the series or so. Hope they can get the rest for August.