Sign in to follow this  
jaragon

Euro Horror Madness

9 posts in this topic

Nobody makes crazed horror movies like Europeans - I had never heard of this one- https://youtu.be/vWfAVIDfY1M"The Amok Train" (1989) released here as "Beyond the Door III" American students take a ride on the horror express and encounter satanist

• Like 1

And Bo Svenson as "The Professor"

That looks incredible. And....I just ordered the DVD. Thanks, jaragon!

• Like 1

https://youtu.be/6gSJvB18iTo"Satan's Blood" (1978) original title "Escalofrio"- a Spanish production about a young bored couple who are invited for a weekend of fun and games at a chateau but end up taking part in Satanic sex rituals . A very erotic horror film with full frontal nudity and a lot of suggested kinks.  The directors creates a very disturbing atmosphere

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jaragon said:

A very erotic horror film with full frontal nudity and a lot of suggested kinks.

After Franco died, censorship in the arts disappeared. Movies, plays, and live shows became increasingly bolder and began to show nudity. Equus, for example could not be staged in Spain until the mid 1970s.  It was known as El Destape ("uncovering", nudity). Soon, a lot of movies started to show full nudity.

Thanks for reminding me of this movie. I'll look for it and watch it soon, I hope.

• Like 1

I wish I had seen Satan's Blood. It was released on disc by the terrific Mondo Macabro company, who specialize in strange and exotic horror and fantasy from around the world. At one time I had all of their releases on my DVD-by-mail Netflix queue, but I ended up canceling it many years ago before I got through very many of them. Now many of the discs are out of print and outrageously priced.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mondo_Macabro_releases

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

I wish I had seen Satan's Blood. It was released on disc by the terrific Mondo Macabro company, who specialize in strange and exotic horror and fantasy from around the world. At one time I had all of their releases on my DVD-by-mail Netflix queue, but I ended up canceling it many years ago before I got through very many of them. Now many of the discs are out of print and outrageously priced.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mondo_Macabro_releases

I loved "Mondo Macabro"

1 hour ago, Arsan404 said:

After Franco died, censorship in the arts disappeared. Movies, plays, and live shows became increasingly bolder and began to show nudity. Equus, for example could not be staged in Spain until the mid 1970s.  It was known as El Destape ("uncovering", nudity). Soon, a lot of movies started to show full nudity.

Thanks for reminding me of this movie. I'll look for it and watch it soon, I hope.

You are right- Spanish films became very liberal specially when it came to both male and female nudity- "Satan's Blood" has plenty of both

http://dai.ly/x55voqq"Demon Witch Child" (1975) original title "La Endemoniada" it was also released as "The Possessed".  Armando de Osorio who directed all those creepy Blind Dead movie made this exorcist copy.  Susan is cursed by a gypsy and becomes a foul mouth head spinning murderer and only handsome  Father Juan can save her.   The movie does not have the budget to pull off most of the effects and it's rather dull.  There is still those crazy euro horror touches- at one point the possessed Susan castrates one of her victims and sends the gift wrapped organ to the poor man's girlfriend.   Amazon Prime has a horrible print- with a ridiculous English dubbing which makes the movie seem a lot sillier than it's original intent

Armando de Ossorio's " Night of the Seagulls" (1975) original title " La Noche de las Gaviotas"- a Doctor Stein and Joan his wive move to Spanish fishing village in which the not too friendly locals spend their days beating up the village idiot and their nights performing human sacrifices to the zombified medieval nights.  This is another dull Blind Dead sequel.  There are a few moody shot but the movie is very slow.  The only weird bit is  the sight of huge crabs munching on the remains of one of the victims