saschasolange

FILM SUGGESTIONS

22 posts in this topic

How many of you have suggested a film and found that it was scheduled shortly afterward?  I would like to  thank the powers that be in the  scheduling department;  with few exceptions, most of the movies I mentioned have been aired.  Coincidence? possibly, but it doesn't seem so.  -just one of many reasons that places TCM at the top.

what has been your experience with this?

and thanks again - so much - for listening to us!  TCM, you're the best!

I requested "The Happy Years" starring Dean Stockwell about a year ago and it aired on TCM on March 5th of this year. That's not bad, considering that they plan the schedule months in advance and all the work that is involved. That would be a dream job for me - Working on scheduling and programming at Turner Classic Movies.

• Like 3

sounds like an incredible job! I'd be too biased in my taste though. I'd never schedule any war movies, monster movies, etc...  

I noticed after posting that two more that I requested a while back will air on the 16th.  I make no assumptions, as William Holden is featured this month anyway, but I'm delighted that I'll get to see them!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Suddenly the tone of this lovely thread just changed LOL.

I think he really, REALLY wants them to play Hot Spell. LOL

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gershwin fan said:

I think he really, REALLY wants them to play Hot Spell. LOL

Yes, we don't have to read between the lines very much to figure that out. :)

Maybe five years ago, there was a discussion just after Christmas about movies that some of us would like to see as part of the next year's holiday programming.  Sure enough, when December rolled around again, TCM featured many of the movies that we suggested -- way too many of the same titles for it to be a coincidence.  (For example, they had a "Christmas Noir" evening that picked up several crime-oriented holiday movies that we suggested.)

I think TCM does a pretty good job of listening to viewers' programming ideas.  It's easy to be disappointed when they don't show a requested movie, but I always assume that there's a reason that they can't get a particular film (e.g., rights issues; no suitable digital copy).  My impression is that they try to follow up on viewer suggestions as much as possible.  (That said, I'd love to see "Christmas Holiday" and "The Holly and the Ivy" next December -- neither of which have ever been on TCM as far as  I know, although "Holly" was scheduled and then replaced one year.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BingFan said:

Maybe five years ago, there was a discussion just after Christmas about movies that some of us would like to see as part of the next year's holiday programming.  Sure enough, when December rolled around again, TCM featured many of the movies that we suggested -- way too many of the same titles for it to be a coincidence.  (For example, they had a "Christmas Noir" evening that picked up several crime-oriented holiday movies that we suggested.)

I think TCM does a pretty good job of listening to viewers' programming ideas.  It's easy to be disappointed when they don't show a requested movie, but I always assume that there's a reason that they can't get a particular film (e.g., rights issues; no suitable digital copy).  My impression is that they try to follow up on viewer suggestions as much as possible.  (That said, I'd love to see "Christmas Holiday" and "The Holly and the Ivy" next December -- neither of which have ever been on TCM as far as  I know, although "Holly" was scheduled and then replaced one year.)

I’m pretty sure I saw “Christmas Holiday” listed on the Noir Alley schedule for December. Hopefully it won’t be replaced. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I’m pretty sure I saw “Christmas Holiday” listed on the Noir Alley schedule for December. Hopefully it won’t be replaced. 

Wow, great news about "Christmas Holiday" being on the December schedule!  I just found Noir Alley's long-term schedule (http://noiralley.tcm.com/schedule), and there it is -- "Christmas Holiday" is scheduled for Dec. 23, 2018.

I'll definitely be watching (and recording) "Christmas Holiday" -- thanks for the great news, and thanks to Eddie Muller for putting it on the schedule!

(I wish someone would put out "Christmas Holiday" on Blu-ray.  I'd buy it the first day!)

I'll second that! It's great to hear this; confirmation...  I've never seen "Christmas Holiday"; - look forward to it. - and to checking Film Noir's long term schedule. It's great to discover new films that I wasn't aware of and end up on my favorites list.

I had also wondered if there are licencing issues or other obstacles in obtaining/airing certain films.  for example, months ago, I requested "La Piscine" with Alain Delon and Romy Schneider.  Several months later they did air a number of films with Alain Delon - (certainly appreciated) - just not that one.

I'd love to see him interviewed. on TCM. his old ones in English show him to be a good guest; funny and charismatic.

Am I missing something from this thread?  Have some posts been disappeared?

On 4/3/2018 at 4:16 AM, garovick said:

I requested "The Happy Years" starring Dean Stockwell about a year ago and it aired on TCM on March 5th of this year. That's not bad, considering that they plan the schedule months in advance and all the work that is involved. That would be a dream job for me - Working on scheduling and programming at Turner Classic Movies.

I like Maude Adams.

• Like 1

By the way, is anyone else loving Ben M's discussion with Stephanie Powers about her time with and knowledge of William Holden?

I've always admired and respected her, not only for her talent, personality and wonderful countenance, but even more impressive is her genuine dedication to animal conservation and education.   She's quite a lady!

11 hours ago, saschasolange said:

can anyone fill us in please? were they edited out for some reason?

It was nothing important. Nipkow was just mad that they didn't air Hot Spell and he really wants them to.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, saschasolange said:

I missed that one; hopefully they'll air it again soon. 

Maude Adams - wasn't she in a James Bond film?

"I like Maude Adams" is a line from The Happy Years, when the boys are trying to torment the girl they are visiting. Maude Adams was an actress who was at the height of her fame at the time The Happy Years takes place.

Here's a comment about the line, from someone who posted online:

"My main recollection of the film is a scene where the boys play a prank on a young girl. First, one kid comes calling on a Sunday afternoon. A few minutes later, another kid shows up. And then another. And so on. They're all sitting around with perfectly straight faces, giving the same speech. At one point, each kid in turn is saying "I like Maude Adams" while new kids start showing up so fast the girl doesn't even have time to sit down before someone else is at the door. Eventually, she breaks into tears and goes running from the room."

• Thanks 1

On 4/9/2018 at 9:02 PM, Swithin said:

I like Maude Adams.

Excuse me, Swithin?

That would be the Maude Adams, born in the 1870's and who starred on the stage in the early 1900's as Peter Pan, her most famous role??? She was quite dishy and I appreciate all her beautiful stage photos in my book "The History of the Stage". To this day I would kill to see her only appearance on film, in a screen test done for Selznick in the 1930's.

I would have thought with your predilections that you would have been more attracted to Maud Adams, who appeared in "Rollerball" and "Octopussy".

Thanks for the insights into your psyche!

3 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

Excuse me, Swithin?

That would be the Maude Adams, born in the 1870's and who starred on the stage in the early 1900's as Peter Pan, her most famous role??? She was quite dishy and I appreciate all her beautiful stage photos in my book "The History of the Stage". To this day I would kill to see her only appearance on film, in a screen test done for Selznick in the 1930's.

I would have thought with your predilections that you would have been more attracted to Maud Adams, who appeared in "Rollerball" and "Octopussy".

Thanks for the insights into your psyche!

The Happy Years is set in the 1890s, and yes, that is the lady whom the boys were talking about.

Maude Adams (1872-1953) was the first to play Peter Pan on stage. A huge star in her day; much more so than the lady without the "e" in Maude!
Maude_Adams_as_Peter_Pan.png

Thanks, Swithin and CaveGirl...   I thought I knew a fair amount about the films, actors, directors from the eras / genres featured on TCM.  This site lets me know how much there is to learn...