CelluloidKid

'Dune' Remake On the Way -- Third Time's the Charm?

15 posts in this topic

This is all over the net...from Cinematical to Movieweb!!

Now this shall be a hotly debated remake. Variety has just announced that Peter Berg will be directing the latest version of Dune for Paramount (as previously rumored). It will be produced by Kevin Misher, who has spent the last year trying obtain rights from Frank Herbert's estate.

Dune has been made twice already -- most famously by David Lynch, less so by the Sci-Fi Channel. This time, they are looking for writers who can adapt the definitive version for movie audiences. However, just a glance through any "geek" forum shows fans are already worried that the studio's belief that "its theme of finite ecological resources [is] particularly timely" is already missing the point.

The Lynch version is a film that people either love or despise. Most critics despised it upon release, but it has a fairly large fan following. (I know one guy who considers loving it a dating criteria.) Well, except me -- it's been so long since I have seen it that I fall into neither camp, especially since I watched it at 2am through very bleary eyes. I must remedy that so I can discuss this properly. So I'm not entirely convinced a remake is a bad idea -- after Lord of the Rings, no book is considered impossible, and it would please many Herbert fans to see a more loyal adaptation. Then again, there are so many sci-fi books I would love to see tackled that I'm disappointed to see them simply pick up Dune again. Perhaps it is the beginning of a trend.

I haven't seen the film, just skipped through the parts but I'll eventually watch it for Jose Ferrer and J?rgen Prochnow . Could one of you tell me what was the large worm like creature and it's purpose? (David Lynch version)

Not sure which version is the David Lynch version. The one with Sting was AWFUL! The other one which was in three parts I believe was much better but the books are the best!

The sand worms are one of the most important parts of the story. One of the main characters eventually turns into a sand worm and becomes "God Emperor of Dune".

I wish they would complete the trilogy as a follow-up to the original movie. It's been a little over twenty years since I've read the trilogy but I remember the original movie followed the book fairly well. I was very impressed with the worms.

Fans of Frank Herbert's Dune trilogy and the feature film Dune (1984) may have to wait, who knows how long, for the next film in what is hoped will be a Dune franchise. This article is from 2011 and will explain parts of what has been delaying the project.

Paramount Ends 4-Year Attempt To Turn Frank Herbert's 'Dune' Into Film Franchise

Deadline Hollywood article - HERE

I would almost rather they not try again. I'm one of the few that really like the David Lynch film, even with all of the changes from the book. The book is also my favorite SF novel, and one of the only fiction books that I've read multiple times. When they made those mini-series adaptations on the Syfy channel, I just couldn't get into them. I feel any attempt to make them into a modern film franchise would require the "dumbing down" of a lot of the philosophical and anthropological details and ideas that made the book so fascinating. But I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

I would like to see the next film made, if for no other purpose than to keep the ball rolling on developing the franchise - and of course I would prefer they not dumb things down in favor of revenue generation with today's audience. A person really needs to be a sci-fi fan; read the main trilogy before seeing the first film. 

The first "Dune" with Kyle & Co.is one of my guilty pleasures.  I guess sometimes I see on one of the pay channels the "extended" version with about another 10 minutes added.  The casting was great for me: Freddie Jones, Kenneth McMillan. Sean Young and Everett McGill.

Rather than a remake,how about another one of the stories?

• Like 1

I just saw the original 1984 Dune. I had the same reaction to it as I did for Lord of the Rings. I thought it was well made, but since I never read the books, I had no clue what was going on.

I just saw the original 1984 Dune. I had the same reaction to it as I did for Lord of the Rings. I thought it was well made, but since I never read the books, I had no clue what was going on.

That was a common complaint when the movie was released. Some theaters even handed out brochures that had a glossary of terms to help people follow along.

I can honestly say that I never had any trouble following along, and I didn't read the book until after the movie. I've since read it three times, and it's my favorite SF novel.

I saw that it was announced that recent Best Director Oscar nominee Denis Villeneuve (Arrival) has been tapped to helm the Dune remake/reboot. He also directed this year's belated sequel to Blade Runner, so he's definitely the current SF movie "It boy". I personally cringe at the idea of a new Dune movie, as I can see them dumbing it down a lot to try for a mass audience. The material would be much better served by a Game of Thrones-style cable TV series.

• Like 1

We really do not need another "Dune " movie- the Lynch film was crazed but interesting to look at- the sci-fi channel tv version was less weird but at least the story made more sense.

• Like 1