Sign in to follow this  
Sepiatone

How many remember this one?

16 posts in this topic

And although it WAS an Oscar winner, why hasn't it(to my knowledge) ever been shown on TCM during the "30 days" presentations?   ;) 

 

Sepiatone

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many live/animated Oscar-winning shorts DO they show as filler during 30 Days?

Have we seen "De Duva"?  "The Critic"?  We can assume TCM's already shown the Oscar-winning Tom & Jerry and Pepe Le Pew cartoons that Warner owns to begin with, and MGM's "Peace on Earth" up to our eyeballs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah.  And seeing as how most theaters( 'round MY "neck-a" anyway) DON'T show the shorts that wind up getting nominated year after year, wouldn't it only be FAIR to both us AND the film makers who create them if TCM would put them on from time to time? ;)

Sepiatone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

And although it WAS an Oscar winner, why hasn't it(to my knowledge) ever been shown on TCM during the "30 days" presentations?   ;) 

 

Sepiatone

 

That style of animation reminds me of this old commercial.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, EricJ said:

How many live/animated Oscar-winning shorts DO they show as filler during 30 Days?

Have we seen "De Duva"?  "The Critic"?  We can assume TCM's already shown the Oscar-winning Tom & Jerry and Pepe Le Pew cartoons that Warner owns to begin with, and MGM's "Peace on Earth" up to our eyeballs.

Yep, definitely caught Peace on Earth one night in February between features.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:rolleyes:

And again, as I should have expected, the point of this all has been lost and shoved aside. ;)

Sepiatone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2018 at 7:14 PM, Sepiatone said:

And although it WAS an Oscar winner, why hasn't it(to my knowledge) ever been shown on TCM during the "30 days" presentations?   ;) 

 

Sepiatone

Hah, I do vaguely remember seeing it, but it was very long ago! 
TCM shows a few Academy Award nominated shorts during 31 Days, but they always appear to be the same handful from the old studio era. However I don't recall them airing any animated shorts during that time?
I wonder why TCM hasn't shown any later Oscar nominated (or at least winning) foreign (or at least domestic) animated shorts (and documentaries, etc.) during that annual marathon?
They do generally toss in a later (more recent era) movie or two. I think that if they can do that, that for a little added variation they could (should) toss us an occasional "Crunch Bird" type classic or two (or three, or four, or more)! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2018 at 7:50 PM, EricJ said:

How many live/animated Oscar-winning shorts DO they show as filler during 30 Days?

Have we seen "De Duva"?  "The Critic"?  We can assume TCM's already shown the Oscar-winning Tom & Jerry and Pepe Le Pew cartoons that Warner owns to begin with, and MGM's "Peace on Earth" up to our eyeballs.

Not so sure about that Eric.
Though TCM did air several cartoons on Saturday's, back when Ben first began hosting, they have been rather stingy with them ever since... that is until they just recently began tossing in a cartoon or two again on Saturdays.
I remember seeing Peace On Earth long ago on TCM (but NOT during Oscar month!).

I just "fact" checked with MCOH's marvelous schedule summary and, according to it, TCM has only aired Peace On Earth a total of five times since its inception, and the last two times were were both in December of 2007 & 2005.
For such a classic I consider that to be far below from being "up to my eyeballs" in over airing!
And I personally can't remember seeing any of the Pepe Le Pew cartoons on TCM. If I did, it may have been back around 2003, or so? :unsure:

http://moviecollector.us/reports/TCM_SCHEDULES_SUMMARY_alpha.htm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Stephan55 said:

Not so sure about that Eric.
Though TCM did air several cartoons on Saturday's, back when Ben first began hosting, they have been rather stingy with them ever since... that is until they just recently began tossing in a cartoon or two again on Saturdays.
I remember seeing Peace On Earth long ago on TCM (but NOT during Oscar month!).

I just "fact" checked with MCOH's marvelous schedule summary and, according to it, TCM has only aired Peace On Earth a total of five times since its inception, and the last two times were were both in December of 2007 & 2005.
For such a classic I consider that to be far below from being "up to my eyeballs" in over airing!
And I personally can't remember seeing any of the Pepe Le Pew cartoons on TCM. If I did, it may have been back around 2003, or so? :unsure:

http://moviecollector.us/reports/TCM_SCHEDULES_SUMMARY_alpha.htm

This was part of the older Cartoon Alley block.  They showed it twice during 2004-12 and twice in 2005-12.  There was also a later airing in 2007.  I don't have any more info than that.  It was a short, so they may have used it unannounced some other time as a bookend as well.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stephan55 said:

And I personally can't remember seeing any of the Pepe Le Pew cartoons on TCM. If I did, it may have been back around 2003, or so? :unsure:

Was just assuming they'd mostly dip from the Oscar-winning Warner and MGM animated shorts for the month, and "For Scent-imental Reasons" was one of the only three Warner Looney Tunes to get the Oscar.  

(The other two being "Birds Anonymous" and "Knighty Knight Bugs".)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was under the impression that Cartoon Network/Boomerang had the rights to the MGM/WB cartoons.

I'd assume the rights situations for shorts after the studio era are a dickens to take care of.  Even more so for foreign shorts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2018 at 4:54 PM, sewhite2000 said:

Yep, definitely caught Peace on Earth one night in February between features.

Can you figure out which night?  I have a project contributor who may be interested in this as a case in point, as he does this a different way, and I don't see this in either of our offline data.

In any case not a huge deal to me, as it is not a feature length movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, boy, I was only half paying attention to it. I went over and got on my laptop between movies. It was during primetime hours, and it was relatively late to into 31 Days, maybe the final week. I think I would be hard-pressed to get more specific than that, but if I figure it out, I'll post here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember at the time that some local theaters would show "Crunchbird"  along with the mix of other cartoons and previews back in the early '70's.  We laughed because we'd heard the premise before in some old High School era joke about some "magic" phallic sex toy. ;)

Sepiatone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us