Sign in to follow this  
kimpunkrock

Bob Hope Radio Show--Legends of Hollywood

11 posts in this topic

hopecd.jpg

I recently have discovered the Bob Hope Radio show which ran throughout the 30's, 40's and 50's. Most of the shows online are from the 40's and 50's. They are really funny and my favorite ones are the ones that he did from army bases in the us that aired on the radio for everyone to hear. There are some great guest stars. My favorite being the one with Humphrey Bogart, but I could not find that one for download only streaming media.

To listen the to about 21 episodes- goto *Legends of Hollywood* my blog on classic film:

http://classicfilmisanaddiction.blogspot.com

Here are some links for more episodes to download and listen to (different than the ones in the blog).

http://www.archive.org/details/otr_bobhope
http://www.archive.org/details/bob_hope

Enjoy!
-
kim

I'm also a big fan of early Bob Hope, and his radio shows from the 1930's, 40's and early 50's are a real eye-opener for people whose main exposure to Hope has been through those dull, unfunny TV specials that he hosted during his later years.

Hope's radio delivery was fast and flawless, and he was a superb ad-libber....especially when goofs were made in the script reading (either by him or by other cast members).

Recordings of his old radio shows, combined with his early movies, enlighten the present-day public as to just why this man was so famous and popular over the years.

Yes Bob was so good at improve. You can learn a lot about delivery, comedy and improve from listening to those radio shows. Jack Benny was also really good at all of those things.

At Archive.Org you can download many, many, many radio shows including Lux Radio Theater episodes and just about any other show that was on the air. Bold Venture the Bogie and Bacall show is also there to download.

http://www.archive.org/details/oldtimeradio

I am loving Bob's radio shows. I have been on a huge Hope kick lately. Helps that I have been down in the dumps and Bob makes me laugh (I broke my 350 dollar I pod, plus I have been pretty depressed other wise and it has nothing to do with any s-hit talkers on here so don't worry about that). One thing I do when I am depressed is buy a lot of classic film dvd's, I have to be careful because it is really easy to spend your my savings with that amazon one click buying option! Plus it is going to cost 150 bucks to fix my I Pod. I Pods are addicted. I was freaking out when mine broke.

One Bob Hope movie I just got was the double feature of *Give me a Sailor* and *Caught in the Draft*. *Give me a Sailor* is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. I look forward to getting the 5 other double features from the Bob Hope Tribute Collection from Universal.

These are the Hope DVDs I have gotten in the past 2 weeks:

*The Paleface*

*Give me a Sailor*

*Caught in the Draft*

*Paris Holiday*

_The Bob Hope MGM Legends Collection_ with:

*Alias Jesse James*

*They got me Covered* -My Favorite in the set. I had this one taped on VHS from TCM.

*The Road to Hong Kong* ---the worst one in the series but still fun to watch.

*I'll Take Sweden*

*The Facts of Life* ----Awesome film with Lucille Ball

*The Princess and the Pirate*

*Boy did I get a Wrong Number*

(I bought this box set at Costco for 15.99, saving me 20-30 bucks)

and I completed my Road Film Collection with

_One the Road with Bob Hope and Bing Crosby_ which has the first four road movies on one double sided disc.

*Road to Morocco* - My favorite in the series

*Road to Utopia*

*Road to Zanzibar*

*Road to Singapore*

*Road to Rio* and *Road to Morocco* are my 2 favs of the series.

I am going to pick up *The Great Lover* today for 4 dollars brand new. I have never seen this title.

Thanks for the Memories-

kpr

thank you for posting this kim!!!

i love bob hope and have all of his movies. i have listened to each of those shows on the radio, and i love them all. they are so funny and make you laugh til you breaking down crying. heehee!

i love the episode with gary cooper! he sings or tries to sing pistol packin' mama and does a sweet little job while laughing at himself.

barbara jo allen is also on it with bob and she was actually my favorite fairy in Sleeping Beauty when i was smaller and she was hilarious on there!!!

I used' to listen to Bobs radio shows on Sunday night along with Jack Benny.When I was in 'college his late son Tony was a close friend and despite the fact that he was adopted he had a "ski nose" like his father. I use to take my mother to see him perform in the 1980s at Westbury music Fair on Long Island. He would perform uninterrupted for 2 hours when he was in his 80s. Stars like Debbie reynolds and rosemary Clooney also performed as an opening act.I was quite an experience and one I will always cherish.

> {quote:title=michaelryan wrote:}{quote}

> I used' to listen to Bobs radio shows on Sunday night along with Jack Benny.When I was in 'college his late son Tony was a close friend and despite the fact that he was adopted he had a "ski nose" like his father. I use to take my mother to see him perform in the 1980s at Westbury music Fair on Long Island. He would perform uninterrupted for 2 hours when he was in his 80s. Stars like Debbie reynolds and rosemary Clooney also performed as an opening act.I was quite an experience and one I will always cherish.

that is so cool Michael. Bob is the tops. I read somewhere that in 2003 he wanted to go and perform for the troops in Iraq but was too sick and old to make the trip. What a guy! He is so irreplaceable and it is time that TCM had him as Star of the Month.

I love Bob Hope. God Bless Him!

I got *The Great Lover* for 4 dollars new on DVD the other day. The movie is so funny. What a hidden gem it is. I highly recommend it!

So funny!

Nothing like Bob Hope when you are depressed.

"Road To Morroco" is my favorite "Road" movie also!!!!

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Bob Hope!!!!!!!!!!!! He has been my favorite comedian person since I was about seven! I love all the ad-libs in his movies, and I love how so many parts of his movies center around the current times (back then).

Another one I would suggest is "The Lemon Drop Kid". I bought a cheap DVD of it for two bucks and I loved it! Not his best, but still definitely a hidden gem! The part where he dresses like an old lady is HILARIOUS!!!! (rather reminicent of "Road To Morroco"!)

I have seen MOST of Bob Hope's movies and love pretty much ALL of them!

He was so AMAZING!!!!!