Sign in to follow this  
Det Jim McLeod

Hysteria (1965) and other amnesia films

9 posts in this topic

I just saw "Hysteria" for the first time and it made me think of other films about amnesia, especially in the 1960s.

Hysteria (1965) has character actor Robert Webber in a rare leading role. He is an American in England who loses his memory after a car accident. He then finds himself involved in a murder or did he imagine it? It seems like it may be inspired by "Psycho" since it also has a stabbing, a shower and plot twists. Maurice Denham has a memorable supporting role as private investigator who is tougher and smarter then he seems.

Mirage (1965) is a similar film from the same year. Gregory Peck is the amnesiac who may or may not be a murderer. This one has great New York locations and an excellent supporting cast. Diane Baker is a helpful female but she may not be what she seems. George Kennedy is a violent thug who gives Peck some pain. Robert H. Harris is a nasty, short tempered psychiatrist. And best of all we have Walter Matthau as a wisecracking private eye.

Another 1960s film worth mentioning is Mister Buddwing (1966), this time with James Garner as the amnesia victim. This is also set in New York and I have not seen all of it, I caught part of it after it started and was intrigued. I would like to see the whole thing.

What do you think of "Hysteria" or any other amnesia films of ones I mentioned or haven't mentioned?

I'm a big fan of Mirage. 1965 is late for a film noir amnesia story in black & white, but Mirage is solid all the way, one of the best films Edward Dmytryk directed, and as you mentioned, Walter Matthau adds a lot as the private detective Gregory Peck hires.

Mister Buddwing is not a suspense film, and as James Garner has flashbacks to various parts of his life, different actresses play the same woman in different scenes. This was the first substantial role for Katharine Ross.

On 4/13/2018 at 12:23 PM, kingrat said:

Mister Buddwing is not a suspense film, and as James Garner has flashbacks to various parts of his life, different actresses play the same woman in different scenes. This was the first substantial role for Katharine Ross.

I loved how there were so many different actresses in this, Jean Simmons and Suzanne Pleshette among them. Nichelle Nicols (later Lt. Uhura on Star Trek) also shows up in a small role.

Great topic thread! I totally enjoyed seeing Robert Webber in this film by Jimmy Sangster I think.

Though amnesia as a plot might seem overused, it is usually always worth watching, just because.

Who knows where the story will go?

• Thanks 1

I would love to participate in this discussion but I can't remember anything about it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

I totally enjoyed seeing Robert Webber in this film by Jimmy Sangster I think

Yes, the Hammer Films team of Jimmy Sangster and Freddie Francis made a rare film set in modern times. I always enjoyed the 1960s films set in swinging London.

On 4/16/2018 at 9:28 AM, Det Jim McLeod said:

I loved how there were so many different actresses in this, Jean Simmons and Suzanne Pleshette among them. Nichelle Nicols (later Lt. Uhura on Star Trek) also shows up in a small role.

What Mister Buddwing is, is is actually a pretty good Neo Noir with a great Jazz score,

I have to admit I've never cared for Mister Buddwing.