Sign in to follow this  
NipkowDisc

Damascus chemical facilities bombed by France, UK, United States

83 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

it was made clear that if more action is needed it will be taken.

we're locked and loaded as nikki haley says.

:P

Yeah, whatever. Guess that's why Donny was saying we would be out of Syria in

fairly short order. Whenever I listen to Haley I'm convinced she's more loaded than

locked.

Big O was not embarrassed by American power. He just didn't want to use it for

any random occasion that came along.

3 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

she looks quite pale like a vegan.

Where did her long hair go? Where is the girl I used to know? How did she lose that happy glow?

O, Caroline -no.

Why Russia did not respond to the US strikes on Syria

Despite its hostile rhetoric, Russia has taken care to avoid confrontation on the ground in Syria.

".........Moscow understood that the strikes on Syria are not really in retribution for the alleged use of chemical weapons in Douma and definitely not an attempt to influence the outcome of the Syrian conflict. It was simply a demonstration of force.

What's more, the fact that Washington was slow to undertake the strikes was perceived in Moscow as a manifestation of weakness and indecisiveness, which only gave confidence to the Russian leadership. As a result, Moscow afforded itself a certain degree of hostile rhetoric to accompany the coordination with Washington that ensured no damage was done to Russian assets on the ground....

It is, therefore, not surprising that Russia has also not responded to repeated Israeli air raids in Syria. Over the past six months, Israel has consistently targeted Syrian infrastructure and military facilities. .....

So clearly Russia has chosen a strategy of talking tough while making sure it does not take any risks on the ground.

That said, despite the lack of apparent escalation on the ground, rhetorical tensions should not be underestimated. There is a degree of unpredictability in the behaviour of actors on both sides in recent months, as well as increasing disregard for internationally accepted norms and procedures. This could prove dangerous in the future as it minimises the space for negotiations and diplomatic settlements.

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/russia-respond-strikes-syria-180415130802748.html

:unsure:

• Thanks 1

What Bashar al-Assad Wants-

".... Bashar al-Assad, Syria’s President, gambled that he could use chemical weapons to seal a victory in an offensive just outside his country’s capital, and that he and his regime could survive whatever the world would do in response. And he was right. ....

....His strategy has been clear: let the Americans and other Western countries focus on destroying ISIS, his main enemy, and don’t make the outside world too angry. All of his escalations have been calculated and gradual, even his use of chemical weapons.

......Assad’s position has been strengthened greatly by the American-led destruction of ISIS—he ought to thank Trump for that—and lately he’s been trying to consolidate the long strip of cities and towns he holds between the Mediterranean, Aleppo, and Damascus. Eastern Ghouta—and Douma more specifically—represents one of the last rebel-held areas around the capital. ....

That’s where the chemical weapons come in. They’re lethal and efficient. And they did what they were intended to do. The offensive against Douma is proceeding, with Assad offering the rebels and residents there a choice of evacuation by bus, or probably death or imprisonment if they stay. It’s not a pretty picture.

The wider point is that the latest missile strikes may deter Assad from using chemical weapons again for a while. And that’s good. But this action is not likely to alter the course of the war or even, most likely, Assad’s calculations about using such weapons again. After all, they’ve worked before."

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/the-syria-strikes-and-what-bashar-al-assad-wants?mbid=social_twitter

:unsure:

In Damascus, Syria's deputy foreign minister, Faisal Mekdad, met inspectors from the global chemical weapons watchdog OPCW for about three hours in the presence of Russian officers and a senior Syrian security official.

The inspectors were due to attempt to visit the Douma site. Moscow condemned the Western states for refusing to wait for OPCW's findings before attacking.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/putin-predicts-global-chaos-if-west-hits-syria-again/ar-AAvV035?li=AAadgLE&ocid=spartandhp

On 4/14/2018 at 11:45 PM, Vautrin said:

Yeah, whatever. Guess that's why Donny was saying we would be out of Syria in

fairly short order. Whenever I listen to Haley I'm convinced she's more loaded than

locked.

Big O was not embarrassed by American power. He just didn't want to use it for

any random occasion that came along.

:lol:

he sure had a high standard for randomness.

3 hours ago, HIGHWAY said:

Wish  I could watch it, HIGHWAY - you know how I love laughing.

But, I just can't listen to that voice. I just can't.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Alex Jones WWCR are the few shortwave broadcast.  4.860 Mhz( nightly) 9.350 Mhz (Sundays) and 12.160 Mhz during the day.  Didn't know about him until an old radio host Rollye James recommended him several years ago before her show was cancelled.  First picked them up on the regenerative receivers I built.

2d7x4zr.jpg

Edited by hamradio

2 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Alex Jones WWCR are the few shortwave broadcast.  4.860 (nightly) 9.350 (Sundays) and 12.160 during the day.  Didn't know about him until an old radio host Rollye James recommended him several years ago before her show was cancelled.  First picked them up on the regenerative receivers I built.

Hmm. And here I thought that the only receivers that would pick up Alex Jones would be degenerate. 

(That's a play on words, hamradio. I don't need a lecture about radio equipment. Also, I have no idea what that first sentence in your post means.)

14 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Hmm. And here I thought that the only receivers that would pick up Alex Jones would be degenerate. 

(That's a play on words, hamradio. I don't need a lecture about radio equipment. Also, I have no idea what that first sentence in your post means.)

Edited my post, frequencies are in MHz.

Picked up Rollye James just after completion of an Ocean Hopper clone - far cheaper than the outrageous asking prices on Ebay. :angry:

About WWCR

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWCR

1 hour ago, hamradio said:

Alex Jones WWCR are the few shortwave broadcast.  4.860 Mhz( nightly) 9.350 Mhz (Sundays) and 12.160 Mhz during the day. 

2d7x4zr.jpg

Used to listen to WWCR a Lot back in the  1990"s...they had some really good programs on back then.When the programs WWCR used to carry migrated to the internet i stopped listening.Maybe i should crank up my sw radio and take a listen again.I think that eventually,and probably sooner rather than later,all the types of programs they used to carry,but migrated to the net,will go back to shortwave.

47 minutes ago, JR33928 said:

Used to listen to WWCR a Lot back in the  1990"s...they had some really good programs on back then.When the programs WWCR used to carry migrated to the internet i stopped listening.Maybe i should crank up my sw radio and take a listen again.I think that eventually,and probably sooner rather than later,all the types of programs they used to carry,but migrated to the net,will go back to shortwave.

Shortwave might be a good thing to pick up on as it could come in handy some day, but I don't forsee the need quite yet.  We received a small AM/FM/SW radio for Christmas several years ago, it has come in handy during power outages.  I generally listen on the net too, but unlike the net, shortwave isn't delivered through a bottleneck and cannot be obstructed as easily.  Thanks to the net I can listen to some locals in different areas, as well as the nationals of my choice.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hamradio said:

Alex Jones WWCR are the few shortwave broadcast.  4.860 Mhz( nightly) 9.350 Mhz (Sundays) and 12.160 Mhz during the day.  Didn't know about him until an old radio host Rollye James recommended him several years ago before her show was cancelled.  First picked them up on the regenerative receivers I built.

2d7x4zr.jpg

Have you picked AJ up on shortwave?

P.S. If so, that could be because they purchased some of the former VOA properties/licensing.  Just didn't know if it was operational.

6 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

:lol:

he sure had a high standard for randomness.

Yeah, it cut down on doing stupid stuff quite a bit.

" Syrian and Russian authorities prevented independent investigators from going to the scene of a suspected chemical attack, the head of the chemical watchdog group said Monday, blocking international efforts to establish what happened and who was to blame. .........

Syria and its ally Russia deny any chemical attack took place, and Russian officials went even further, accusing Britain of staging a “fake” chemical attack. British Prime Minister Theresa May accused the two countries — whose forces now control the town east of Damascus — of trying to cover up evidence.

The lack of access to Douma by inspectors from the watchdog group, the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons, has left unanswered questions about the attack....

https://apnews.com/5ef71f938d1f457f8a7768b7b6eddfb5?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

-_-

8 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Have you picked AJ up on shortwave?

P.S. If so, that could be because they purchased some of the former VOA properties/licensing.  Just didn't know if it was operational.

Once in a while but I haven't been listening  much recently, bad propagation due to low sunspot activity and repairing, building electronic devices. Just finish an EM84 based VU meter.

VOA has nothing to do with WWCR. Both use different antenna setups.

WWCR

640x480_at_am-da.gif

FL_25.JPG

VOA

voa.jpg?w=300

voa_delano04.jpg

1 minute ago, hamradio said:

Once in a while but I haven't been listening  much recently, bad propagation due to low sunspot activity and repairing, building electronic devices. Just finish an EM84 based VU meter.

VOA has nothing to do with WWCR. Both use different antenna setups.

WWCR

640x480_at_am-da.gif

FL_25.JPG

VOA

voa.jpg?w=300

I think maybe you misunderstood.  AJ/IW now owns their own shortwave transmitters.

6 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

I think maybe you misunderstood.  AJ/IW now owns their own shortwave transmitters.

The only news I've heard were Chicago's WCKG were in the stages of broadcasting Infowars. Don't know anything about owning former VOA antenna properties.

2 hours ago, hamradio said:

The only news I've heard were Chicago's WCKG were in the stages of broadcasting Infowars. Don't know anything about owning former VOA antenna properties.

Ok, I misunderstood you.  Yes, upon looking it up I can say he has had the owner of that station on as a guest too.  Both are the case: the WCKG station owner has been on as a guest (several times), and it was seperately announced they have purchased former VOA transmitters.

22 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I once had a worldwide shortwave superheterodyne receiver. that mother had this cylindrical antenna that would snap up over the top of the radio.

:D

Israeli intelligence reportedly says Trump's Syria strike failed, didn't take out much of anything

• Israeli officials cited in a Ynetnews report characterized the missile strike on Friday by the US, the UK, and France on suspected chemical weapons facilities in Syria as a failure.
  • Multiple Israeli government and military sources suggested the strike was not effective in hurting Syria's ability to conduct chemical attacks.
  • These officials also criticized President Donald Trump's talking about the strike beforehand.
  • The latest strike most likely didn't change anything on the battlefield in Syria, and it's hard to know how much of the chemical weapons stockpile it hit.

https://amp.businessinsider.com/israeli-intelligence-trump-syria-strike-failed-2018-4?__twitter_impression=true