Sign in to follow this  
midnight08

Hell's Angels tonight at 9:30pm

13 posts in this topic

Hell's Angel's is getting a rare showing tonight on TCM. The flight scenes are awesome. And the film has a 2 strip technicolor sequence which is the only color footage ever taken of Jean Harlow. Don't miss this opportunity. 

• Thanks 2

I didn't miss it.  The flight scenes were terrific - no CGI!  Really impressive, intense stuff.  Jean Harlow wasn't a very good actress here but she (barely) wore some great outfits and supplied eye candy.

• Like 1

Saw it several times over the years.  But sadly, had to miss it this time.  But do recall when a friend of mine asked me, wondering if it was about the MOTORCYCLE gang or not?  And his surprise(seemingly) that "they go BACK that far!" :D

AND his disappointment that it WASN'T about the bike gang.  :blink:

Sepiatone

A year ago I got a fancy-schmancy new television which is hooked up digitally instead of via cable. As a result, 90% of the time I try to watch a live Film on TCM the sound sync goes out and or the picture freezes. The only way to fix it is to turn my television off and turn it back on, which takes about 30 seconds each time.

no lie, this happened about 27 times during the hour that I tried to watch THE EAGLE AND THE HAWK, And I was so frustrated and mentally exhausted I just didn't want to have the same experience while trying to watch HELLS ANGELS

Had I known this was going to be such a problem, I would never ever have "upgraded."

• Haha 1

One thing I noticed in "Hell's Angels" and again in "Scarface" - two early talkies from Howard Hughes. The women are always faithless! Even the mother in "Scarface". And they are not faithless in a believable way.  It seems Howard Hughes may have loved women, but didn't like or trust them at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

A year ago I got a fancy-schmancy new television which is hooked up digitally instead of via cable. As a result, 90% of the time I try to watch a live Film on TCM the sound sync goes out and or the picture freezes. The only way to fix it is to turn my television off and turn it back on, which takes about 30 seconds each time.

no lie, this happened about 27 times during the hour that I tried to watch THE EAGLE AND THE HAWK, And I was so frustrated and mentally exhausted I just didn't want to have the same experience while trying to watch HELLS ANGELS

Had I known this was going to be such a problem, I would never ever have "upgraded."

I got rid of my cable box and now I'm just casting everything to the HDTV, I use Sling TV for TCM. I used to use the Roku box but have bypassed that now altogether.

So the cable signal goes to the router then to the WiFi, to Sling TV on the the laptop, then from the laptop to the WiFi to the Chrome Cast to the TV, occasionally I'll have some problems as you describe along with some pixellation, but the solution for me is to stop casting for a second and then recast. I think it has to do with buffering and stopping the cast for a second allows the buffering more time.  

& always superior to 1927's ok (**1/2) *"WINGS" (Paramount) the first BEST FIOLM *ACADEMY AWARD VICTOR-(though shared the top honor with much better silent pic. "Sunrise")

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 9:52 AM, calvinnme said:

One thing I noticed in "Hell's Angels" and again in "Scarface" - two early talkies from Howard Hughes. The women are always faithless! Even the mother in "Scarface". And they are not faithless in a believable way.  It seems Howard Hughes may have loved women, but didn't like or trust them at all.

On the H. Hughes-(l905-=76) Hughes utterly adored ladies' until he started getting worse with that disease of all & any germs yrs later

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 11:21 PM, ChristineHoard said:

I didn't miss it.  The flight scenes were terrific - no CGI!  Really impressive, intense stuff.  Jean Harlow wasn't a very good actress here but she (barely) wore some great outfits and supplied eye candy.

I saw this one for the first time too, but I really liked Jean Harlow's performance in this one.  Having watched a lot of the 1930's faire TCM has shown over the years, I think a lot of actresses from that decade come off as rather shrill and screamy when they deliver their lines.  Harlow did this as often as say, Carole Lombard and Ruth Chatterton, and after a while, it gets tiresome (at least for me).  Sure, the role may have called for such energy when the film was shot, but I think a lot of women and men during that decade overplayed their parts; sometimes by a lot.  :unsure:

• Like 1

On 4/17/2018 at 11:37 AM, midwestan said:

I saw this one for the first time too, but I really liked Jean Harlow's performance in this one.  Having watched a lot of the 1930's faire TCM has shown over the years, I think a lot of actresses from that decade come off as rather shrill and screamy when they deliver their lines.  Harlow did this as often as say, Carole Lombard and Ruth Chatterton, and after a while, it gets tiresome (at least for me).  Sure, the role may have called for such energy when the film was shot, but I think a lot of women and men during that decade overplayed their parts; sometimes by a lot.  :unsure:

I really didn't like Harlow that much in this film or "The Public Enemy". In "Enemy" she is supposed to be from Texas but sounds like she is from Queens??? MGM and the persona they gave her were the best things that ever happened to her. She only had a seven year career in film, but is still probably better remembered than some who had careers that lasted decades.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, calvinnme said:

I really didn't like Harlow that much in this film or "The Public Enemy". In "Enemy" she is supposed to be from Texas but sounds like she is from Queens??? MGM and the persona they gave her were the best things that ever happened to her. She only had a seven year career in film, but is still probably better remembered than some who had careers that lasted decades.

There is no actor in the history of HOLLYWOOD who pulled off a more spectacular turnaround than JEAN HARLOW when it came to the craft of acting.

In her first few films she is terrible (especially THE PUBLIC ENEMY), and then an exponential improvement begins at MGM to where she becomes one of the most interesting and enduring (and endearing) personas of the era.

• Like 3

Harlow's comedic timing is perfection.

First time that there was a bona-fide funny bombshell?

Also perfection...this dress continues to be my favorite of all time.

images.jpg.92211472011428636ba7b5116511872b.jpg5ad8ab9163954_images(1).jpg.e3278d19c9671af8058a8a02eb9a8b82.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Prior to "Hell's Angels" Jean's acting skills consisted of some roles as an extra, a few short films with Laurel and Hardy and a small role with a couple of lines in "The Saturday Night Kid". She was only 18 when she became the leading lady in a blockbuster film of epic proportion. Considering everything I thought she did very well as Helen. She had little to no direction in how to act the part. James Whale who was hired as dialogue coach gave most of his attention to Ben Lyon and James Hall. 

I know this is very subjective but I thought Harlow looked gorgeous in the two strip technicolor sequence with that low cut gown.