hlywdkjk

The Annual FrankGrimes Torture Thread

12,975 posts in this topic

"Wall-eyed" is the perfect description! She was so discriminating. :D

I wonder if she'd gone with Hunnicutt if he'd offered to take her away on his mule?

And wouldn't you know who the injured fugitive with McNally would be. He keeps crossing my path!

Is that the same actor you all have been discussing? I had no idea who he was. He's rather colorless. "Disposable" is written on his forehead.

And I know you liked him in Chicago Calling, too. Dan is so much fun. Yes, I'm being elusive about Ride Clear of Diablo. I love Dan in The Burglar. It's arguably his greatest performance.

I think so. It has some gravitas.

I'm completely surprised by this! You are right on point about The Unknown Man sharing a similar thread with the The Big Heat.

It's not in the same class but it does peel back the lid a bit.

*And, boy, are you ever alert this day. I did see two very different characters for Pidgeon in this group. It's something I caught, myself.*

He could be quite adaptable, as it turns out.

I just can't see you going for A&C!

I can't take them for too long but I used to love them when I was little. I've always thought Lou was funny when he in over his head or scared, which was most of the time. Bud still seems nasty to me.

White Zombie - really creepy stuff.

And this is why I'm shocked to see you list it as one of your favorites in this group! The message is one you'd probably appreciate, though.

It's almost too much for me but I think it's well made and down right scary for an early 30s film.

But it's really not her film. It's Richard Barthelmess. I can't see you liking him.

Is he playing another self-sacrificing pilot? He seemed the go-to man for that role.

Did you watch *All Quiet on the Western Front* yet? I can't remember.

"Wall-eyed" is the perfect description! She was so discriminating. :D

I wonder if she'd gone with Hunnicutt if he'd offered to take her away on his mule?

And wouldn't you know who the injured fugitive with McNally would be. He keeps crossing my path!

Is that the same actor you all have been discussing? I had no idea who he was. He's rather colorless. "Disposable" is written on his forehead.

And I know you liked him in Chicago Calling, too. Dan is so much fun. Yes, I'm being elusive about Ride Clear of Diablo. I love Dan in The Burglar. It's arguably his greatest performance.

I think so. It has some gravitas.

I'm completely surprised by this! You are right on point about The Unknown Man sharing a similar thread with the The Big Heat.

It's not in the same class but it does peel back the lid a bit.

*And, boy, are you ever alert this day. I did see two very different characters for Pidgeon in this group. It's something I caught, myself.*

He could be quite adaptable, as it turns out.

I just can't see you going for A&C!

I can't take them for too long but I used to love them when I was little. I've always thought Lou was funny when he in over his head or scared, which was most of the time. Bud still seems nasty to me.

White Zombie - really creepy stuff.

And this is why I'm shocked to see you list it as one of your favorites in this group! The message is one you'd probably appreciate, though.

It's almost too much for me but I think it's well made and down right scary for an early 30s film.

But it's really not her film. It's Richard Barthelmess. I can't see you liking him.

Is he playing another self-sacrificing pilot? He seemed the go-to man for that role.

Did you watch *All Quiet on the Western Front* yet? I can't remember.

*I wonder if she'd gone with Hunnicutt if he'd offered to take her away on his mule?*

:D Of course she would have! And then she would have left him the moment she was in the clear.

*Is that the same actor you all have been discussing? I had no idea who he was. He's rather colorless. "Disposable" is written on his forehead.*

We haven't been discussing him, no. It just seems like I keep running into Paul Kelly. In fact, the "Torchy" film I watched was one that had replacements for Glenda Farrell and Barton MacLane. And who is filling in for Barton? It's Paul Kelly!

*I think so. It has some gravitas.*

It certainly does.

*It's not in the same class but it does peel back the lid a bit.*

There's a serious moral dilemma in *The Unknown Man*. This makes it a "Quiet Gal" film, for sure.

*He could be quite adaptable, as it turns out.*

You think so?

*I can't take them for too long but I used to love them when I was little. I've always thought Lou was funny when he in over his head or scared, which was most of the time. Bud still seems nasty to me.*

They both make me laugh, but Lou is obviously the funny man. And I can't see you liking them as a kid, either!

*It's almost too much for me but I think it's well made and down right scary for an early 30s film.*

It's creepy, all right.

*Is he playing another self-sacrificing pilot? He seemed the go-to man for that role.*

Ha! No, but he's playing many other kinds of men in *Heroes for Sale*, though.

*Did you watch All Quiet on the Western Front yet? I can't remember.*

No, not yet. It's definitely one of the bigger films from the 30s that I've yet to watch.

We haven't been discussing him, no. It just seems like I keep running into Paul Kelly. In fact, the "Torchy" film I watched was one that had replacements for Glenda Farrell and Barton MacLane. And who is filling for Barton? It's Paul Kelly!

That's the one. I wouldn't recognize him from one movie to another.

There's a serious moral dilemma in The Unknown Man. This makes it a "Quiet Gal" film, for sure.

Yes! I think she would really enjoy this one.

You think so?

He's done comedies, dramas, villains and playboys. They're all kind of "Walter" in the end, and he's no action hero to be sure, but he got around.

They both make me laugh, but Lou is obviously the funny man. And I can't see you liking them as a kid, either!

I did.

No, not yet. It's definitely one of the bigger films from the 30s that I've yet to watch.

It' s the best anti-war film I think. *Paths of Glory* goes for the jugular, this movie goes for the mind and heart. It's also very creatively filmed.

*That's the one. I wouldn't recognize him from one movie to another.*

And I find him so recognizable! There's a lot of surprising things going on today! I cannot believe I'd recognize any classic performer better than you.

*Yes! I think she would really enjoy this one.*

I do, too.

*He's done comedies, dramas, villains and playboys. They're all kind of "Walter" in the end, and he's no action hero to be sure, but he got around.*

I think that's what I was getting at. He still seems like "Walter." It's always interesting to see him playing a villain in the 30s, though. If Greer only knew!

*It' s the best anti-war film I think. Paths of Glory goes for the jugular, this movie goes for the mind and heart. It's also very creatively filmed.*

And for you to speak well of a war film says a lot.

*And I find him so recognizable! There's a lot of surprising things going on today! I cannot believe I'd recognize any classic performer better than you.*

He's not a memorable type.

*It' s the best anti-war film I think. Paths of Glory goes for the jugular, this movie goes for the mind and heart. It's also very creatively filmed.*

*And for you to speak well of a war film says a lot.*

it's so much more than a (anti) war film. it's haunting.

*He's not a memorable type.*

This is true. I do think he has a distinctive look, though.

*it's so much more than a (anti) war film. it's haunting.*

I'll look to get it this month.

*This is true. I do think he has a distinctive look, though.*

you do? i don't, at all.

I think you will appreciate the power of *all quiet on the western front*. It really gets to the heart of what stirs people to go to war. This movie could have been made in Germany (pre-war of course), it seems like a German expressionist film more than Hollywood.

*you do? i don't, at all.*

For me to instantly know it's Paul Kelly, it's because of a look. It's his hair, eyes, and jaw.

*I think you will appreciate the power of all quiet on the western front. It really gets to the heart of what stirs people to go to war. This movie could have been made in Germany (pre-war of course), it seems like a German expressionist film more than Hollywood.*

Just the mention of "German Expressionism" wins me over. And I'd love to see what stirs people to go to war.

*The Blue Angel* (1930) - I don't think I have to say why.

*White Zombie* (1932) - This one is soooo creepy.

*The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie* (1969) - I am taking a big risk putting this one so high, but I remembered how much you like Tennessee Williams and this movie reminds me of Streetcar. It's got all sorts of messy emotions and screwed up motives. If you can get past it's Britishness, I think you'd rate it highly. But can you.....?

*The Hands of Orlac* (1924) - this would have rated higher but it's tremendously slow moving and they could have cut out a lot of the film without losing the plot. I rated it higher than I feel it deserves or than I probably should have, because the idea is so good, and some of the scenes really stick with you.

*Buck Privates* (1941) - you seem to really enjoy A&C and this one is early on for them. Some great schtick.

*Hail the Conquering Hero* (1944) - I am gambling on this one too. When I first saw this one, it really fell flat for me in comparison with the other Sturges films. I now find it creeping up the list again. I think you liked it, but didn't LOVE it.

*Cesar* (1936) - Hard to say whether this one came in higher for you. I rank it here, figuring you will go for the way it sees all sides. Again, I find it hard to rank this separately from the others in the series.

*Kongo* - really really bizarre,It starts out way over the top but gets you in the finale. I'm hoping you'll like it, even though it's pretty much a rip off of another movie. It isn't as good, but has it's own charms. Walter Huston being one of them and a good leading lady + the other girl is pretty.

*Operator 13* - it's Hitch, and I haven't seen it. Even less than stellar Hitch is interesting.

*The Notorious Landlady* - I've never seen it, but you have been pretty good with sex comedies and Kim.

*Ringside Maisie* - I think this is one of the better Maisies, I like the milieu. They kind of dip down for a while but this one marks an upswing in the series for me. Good cast.

*Hobson's Choice* - I am really not sure with this one, but I will take a guess that you like the love story at the center.

*711 Ocean Drive* - I've only seen part of this one. An OK movie, sort of cheap procedural in feel even though it's not a police drama. Edmund O'Brien is always fun to watch. Nothing special but an easy watch.

*Split Second* - I haven't seen it but you discussed it so I am ranking it.

*Heroes for Sale* - a really good unknown movie, with a super performance by Barthelmess. Dark. I should have rated it higher I think now.

*Golden Earrings* (1948) - I enjoy this one so much, and I can't figure out why. It's patently ridiculous, so kitschy it works. I think you'd like it *for it's humor.*

*The Last Time I Saw Paris* - this one goes in the middle because I am just totally unsure - it's either a love or a hate.

*The Last Mile* - Very good performance by Mickey, this is one of my favorite of his later films. I think you'd like seeing the grit of it, and his really different performance.

*The Lavender Hill Mob* - This is my least favorite of the Ealing comedies, but it has a lot to recommend it and it's quite suspenseful in the end. Did you spot Audrey Hepburn in a bit part?

*A Connecticut Yankee* - I REALLY liked this one far more than I thought I would.

*The Tender Trap* - This one is meh for me, I like Susan Slept Here better. But you tend to like these stories a bit better than I do. Or maybe you hated it. Everyone is good but who cares? David Wayne is good as always.

*A Woman's Face* - you already made it clear that it was not your cup of tea.

*Mata Hari* - Talk about kitschy! I think you'll actually like this one in spite of it's more ridiculous aspects.

*If I Had a Million* - Some of the stories are just great but not all - my personal favorites are Charles Laughton (hahahahaha, it makes me laugh just thinking about it), The streetwalker story, and George Raft's section, where I think George does some of his best acting.

*State Fair* - I have missed recording this every single time it's been on, but I did see part of it once - I saw the end. I really loved what I saw, but this is not your kind of story.

*Life With Father* - This isn't you. I love it, but I can't get you and it into the same space, so I am placing it low.

*In This Our Life* - I think you won't like the more potboiler aspects of this one, but I could be way off. This one might come in high for you because of those family situations and bad girl/good girl storyline. But I don't think so. I think you'll think it's unpleasant.

*Sunrise at Campobello* - It's a really good movie but I don't think it will do much for you. Ralph never gave a better performance though. Stagey and perhaps you'll think it's long.

*Fire Over England* - wow, It has Viv, but it's costume, British, and she's not in it much.

The more I look at my rankings, the more I think I completely screwed them up. The rest I haven't seen and don't know enough about to rank.

Edited by: JackFavell on Mar 4, 2014 8:11 AM

Wow, you guys, you got me to really want to see Split Second. I love Odds Against Tomorrow and everything else you said really got me into it.

Paul Kelly has been turning up for me lately too. I think he's blandly rugged looking, the jawline is all that sets him apart....but his voice is quite distinctive. I find I like him a lot as an actor, even though I know he murdered someone in real life. Weird.

Could you have mixed up "Operator 13" with "Number 17"? Cooper stars in "Operator 13" where he plays a southern officer mixed up with Marion Davies who plays a spy for the North.

If you are thinking of "Number 17" I recently saw it and found it rather confusing. Some of the chase at the end was good but I also thought some of the editing clumsy and the miniature sets looked to obvious.

Back to the list.

You're a riot, Jackie! I love how you say I'll really like a film and follow it up with "or maybe not"! No need to second guess yourself. You did magnificently on your guessing. :) You have me figured out, quite well. Way to go!

Could you give your own favorites from the list? I'd love to see that. Then I'll post how I liked the films.

And Movieman is right, I watched Gary Cooper and Marion Davies in *Operator 13*. Let's just say it's not Hitch. :D

My list.

Cesar

Life With Father

Hobson's Choice

A Woman's Face

Hail the Conquering Hero

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie

Golden Earrings

State Fair

White Zombie

The Lavender Hill Mob

A Connecticut Yankee

Heroes for Sale

If I Had a Million

The Blue Angel

Ringside Maisie

The Last Time I Saw Paris

The Last Mile

Hands of Orlac

Buck Privates

Kongo

Fire Over England

Mata Hari

In This Our Life

Sunrise at Campobello

711 Ocean Drive

The Tender Trap

Tonight and Every Night

*My list.*

*Cesar*

*Life With Father*

*Hobson's Choice*

*A Woman's Face*

*Hail the Conquering Hero*

*The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie*

*Golden Earrings*

*State Fair*

*White Zombie*

*The Lavender Hill Mob*

*A Connecticut Yankee*

*Heroes for Sale*

*If I Had a Million*

*The Blue Angel*

*Ringside Maisie*

*The Last Time I Saw Paris*

*The Last Mile*

*Hands of Orlac*

*Buck Privates*

*Kongo*

*Fire Over England*

*Mata Hari*

*In This Our Life*

*Sunrise at Campobello*

*711 Ocean Drive*

*The Tender Trap*

*Tonight and Every Night*

Very good! Thank you for doing that. Our discussion should be pretty good since there are some similarities and only a couple differences. Although the "Jean Brodie" discussion may prove to be noteworthy. I'd LOVE for Quiet Gal to watch that one! :D

So you did end up watching Ingrid's *A Woman's Face* ?

Here is how I liked them:

1. The Blue Angel (1930)

2. Hail the Conquering Hero (1944)

3. Life with Father (1947)

4. The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (1969)

5. The Last Mile (1959)

6. Hobson's Choice (1954)

7. In This Our Life (1942)

8. Ride Clear of Diablo (1954)

9. Charlie Chan in Reno (1939)

10. The Notorious Landlady (1962)

11. Cesar (1936)

12. Thunder on the Hill (1951)

13. The Lavender Hill Mob (1951)

14. The Last Time I Saw Paris (1954)

15. Ringside Maisie (1941)

16. The Atomic Submarine (1959)

17. Split Second (1953)

18. The Hands of Orlac (1924)

19. Horizons West (1952)

20. The Unknown Man (1951)

21. When Strangers Marry (1944)

22. Mata Hari (1931)

23. Kongo (1932)

24. A Woman's Face (1938)

25. Heroes for Sale (1933)

26. State Fair (1933)

27. The Tender Trap (1955)

28. Golden Earrings (1947)

29. Torchy Blane in Panama (1938)

30. A Connecticut Yankee (1931)

31. Suspense (1946)

32. The Great Moment (1944)

33. 711 Ocean Drive (1950)

34. Sunrise at Campobello (1960)

35. The Dangerous Passage (1944)

36. Comanche Territory (1950)

37. Operator 13 (1934)

38. Buck Privates (1941)

39. White Zombie (1932)

40. Tonight and Every Night (1945)

41. If I Had a Million (1932)

42. Fire Over England (1937)

No, I didn't get to the Ingrid version yet. I thought you were listing the Joan one for some reason. I tried to watch the other day, but got interrupted about ten times, so I put it off. and then promptly forgot to watch it.

I think Ro's head would explode if she watched jean brodie.

It's good to see I haven't completely lost it as those films I really like are at the top of your list.

Even The Bride really likes "Life With Father" and "Hobson's Choice." I'd say she is in good company.

Bonjour Mlle Greer

Hello Captain Johnny!

C'est un joli matin! Appreciez-vous ce?

Absolument, mais il est glace partout!

Mais non. Je n'aime?pas le matin. Je dors. Zzzzzzzzzz

Bien se reveiller! il est temps pour le plaisir! You got that? FUN!

My favorite kind!

Well that's just dandy. Now I can't pout anymore in front of you!

Oh shucks, thanks. You?re making me blush. We love compliments

You are so reminding me of Kevin Kline in The Pirates of Penzance right now. Heehee! I bet you even get all soft hearted when you see orphans!

...or Ted Hamilton in The Pirate Movie. Either one works... :D

Well, I'm almost as bad. So you'd better watch out.

Pffttttt....

Does he look scary to you?

MV5BOTk3NDExMTgxN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzkz

Thank heaven for that! Whew! I feel sorry for that Frankie. But I hear you're pretty good with the machete.

I still have my machete!

Was that suppose to scare me? You?ll have to do better than that

Well when i do that in person it doesn't work either. People just start laughing at me. Heehee! BUT, I could it's about trying, right?

No, but it sounds like my kind of film.

It's a cheesy 90's pirate movie with Geena Davis starring. She pulls off the womanly pirate quite well and would't hesitate to push you off the plank. But you would like it!

Tu a jete la rum dans la riviere? Eh bien, j'ai swimm-ay dans toutes les rivieres, and Eureka! I found it! It was being guarded by Torsten Barring. He said he was hired by someone who was armed with a machete and had a ghoulish look (or was it Greer-ish )

Ha. Ha. Ha. I haven't the foggiest notion what you are talking about. Greer wouldn't ever hide anything. She was too sweet for that.

Bien sur! Je vais watch-ay un film qui s'appelle ROUTE DE TONERRE aka Thunder Road. Connais-tu ce film?

Je ne sais ce film dont vous parlez! It's a pretty good one of Mitchum. I like that his brother was in it with him. Did you like it? I really like Keely Smith for her singing, but when she is on film there is almost something missing a lot of the time for me.

Edited by: butterscotchgreer on Mar 4, 2014 12:29 PM

*And you said I shouldn't second guess myself.....*

You guessed most everything right! That's almost impossible to do, too. You immediately said *The Blue Angel* would be first. That was right on target. You guessed I'd really like *The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie* and *Hail the Conquering Hero*. That's spot on. You had me enjoying *The Notorious Landlady*, *Hobson's Choice*, *Ringside Maisie*, and *The Last Time I Saw Paris*. That's impressive!

You also guessed I wouldn't like some, such as *Fire Over England* and *If I Had a Million*.

I suppose you are focusing on your not seeing my liking *Life with Father* and *In This Our Life*. I probably wouldn't have guessed that way with myself, either.

*No, I didn't get to the Ingrid version yet. I thought you were listing the Joan one for some reason. I tried to watch the other day, but got interrupted about ten times, so I put it off. and then promptly forgot to watch it.*

You were on the "African Queen" with Quiet Gal!

*I think Ro's head would explode if she watched jean brodie.*

Ha! Oooooh, let's get her to watch it! Let's get her to watch it! :P

*It's good to see I haven't completely lost it as those films I really like are at the top of your list.*

*Even The Bride really likes "Life With Father" and "Hobson's Choice." I'd say she is in good company.*

It's the other way around! I'm finally showing some real class for a change!

I have no idea how you got to be so snobby!

When have I ever given you indication of being snippy?!...You're the one who provokes it!

"Love" is much too strong a word!

Shows how much you know! ;)

There's no hope!

Yeah, it's too bad we all have to keep you. :P:P

No, I haven't seen 2010. I like 2001: A Space Odyssey for its silence and visuals. It's mesmerizing. I also love the message. It's proven to be true. But I certainly understand why it's not a film for most. The story is sparse.

You like it for it's silence? Of course you would. How did I not pick up on that? I find it hard to hand so much silence or great pauses in film unless it leads to something phenomenal or it's a build-up. In *2001*, it's not really a build-up a lot of the time. It's more of the story in the long run. That makes it hard for me the concentrate.

Thank goodness for that!

It's the finer things in life you can't appreciate. Heehee! :P:P You won't even make snow angels! I should plan a musical flash mob just to torture you. :D It would be SO MUCH FUN!

1. Pickup on South Street

2. Night and the City

3. Sunrise

4. Fallen Angel

5. The Hustler

6. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

7. 3 Bad Men

8. An Affair to Remember

9. Forty Guns

10. Unfaithfully Yours

11. Batman

12. Hush... Hush, Sweet Charlotte

13. The Innocents

14. Nightmare Alley

You have definitely discussed your love for Pickup on South Street many times, so that's not hard to believe it's your number 1.

I am SUPER surprised An Affair to Remember is even on your top list for all Fox films! Your taste in films has definitely altered over the years at least slightly. I'm so HAPPY about that. Heehee! That just bugs you doesn't it? :P

How did I know that *The Innocents* would be up there? That is a really creepy movie. I wouldn't want to be around those kids. I love how clearly deborah shows her fear and confusion, though. It's so real.

The only one I am not surely about it *3 Bad Men*. I haven't seen that one from start to finish. I have seen the first half hour of it, but got distracted and didn't finish it. I don't even remember all that much from it. Do you really like Oliver borden?

I didn't know you liked Fox that much. I'd love to see a list of your favorites for both. That would be great.

A lot of my favorites are surprisingly from Fox. I think you will find one particularly surprising...

This was EXTREMLY hard to narrow down. Here's my list I just compiled of my TOP favorites before 1970 from FOX:

1. Margie

2. The Sound of Music

3. An Affair to Remember

4. Nightmare alley

5. Hello, Dolly!

6. Ramona

7. Zoo in Budapest

8. 7th Heaven

9. Heaven Knows, Mr Allison

10. The African Queen

11. Four Men and a Prayer

12. How to Steal a Million

13. The Beautiful Blonde from Bashful Bend

14. Anna and the King of Siam

15. River of No Return

16. Alexander's Ragtime Band

As for my MGM list, I was right. I have seen more movies from that studio than any other and found that there was no way to make a narrowed down list that is small. I love WAY too many of them. I would have to split my list up in all genres before i ever do that. there are just too many.

Buck Privates - (This is among my top 5 favorite Abbott and Costello movies. It sends me in raptures of never-ending giggles.)

Raptures?! Somebody here is silly!

I think you're silly!

Coop was in those? I didn't even notice him!

It's really hard not to notice him! You're just saying that to make me flustered. I'm not giving in. NEVER! :P

Heroes for Sale - (What did you think of Loretta in this one? Gorgeous, don't ya think?)

Who's Loretta?

GASP!!! That's mean! You know perfectly well who Loretta is! Her pre-codes are always really good. You can't go wrong with any of them!

I can't even picture you watching this one!

I like Maggie Smith! I had to watch it at least once and I ended up really baffled the first time. The next time I saw it, I ended up liking it. But it's one of those ones that is kind of a guilty pleasure for me. Because it has many uncomfortable parts in it and some of the characters are so easy to hate and be annoyed with. I like how different it is.

I see that you liked it - a lot! I am excited about discussing that one!

Such horrible taste!

I noticed it was in the bottom of your list..

I know why you loved it. And it has nothing to do with Liz!

Oh really?! And why do you think I liked it? - This should be good.

You just like it because the title features the word "marry"! Now that is terrifying!

Oh my word!! Seriously?! I'm shaking my head at you right now. :P That is not why I LOVE it.

That's a fascinating grouping! I'm awaiting the opinions of Jackie and Snippy before I post.

I wasn't that far off, but I actually regret not putting *The Blue Angel* in your top 5, because I had a really big feeling that would be one of your favorites, but I strayed away from it, because I know what your views are on her looks. I should have gone with my gut on that one.

And what's with Tonight and Every Night? That's a musical!! Who are you?? Oh it's just because of Rita, isn't it?

That's correct! It's a "Rita" watch. And what an eyeful I got!

Yes, I know. She shows a lot in that one, but she is really pretty and the music is good. I do like that one. It's not my favorite of her musicals, though.

You're right, it's German Expressionism, so that's right down my nightmare alley.

I'm actually starting to have a grasp on what real "German Expressionism" is, thanks to you. I've been watching more of those kinds of films and to my big surprise, I like a lot of them. What are your top 10 favorite movies in that category? I'm actually really interested!