hlywdkjk

The Annual FrankGrimes Torture Thread

12,959 posts in this topic

You liked The Tender Trap ?! That shocks me

Oh good grief. DUH!! No.. I have NOT seen that one. (ha) I looked it up online the other day and I must have had it confused with a DIFFERENT Debbie movie though don't ask me what one.. because whatever it was it HAS been a long times since I saw it (oh for pity's sake, I am a doofus) After reading the synopsis for TTT, um.. yeah. I am with you.. I would be shocked if I liked that one TOO. Ha. (silly me) :D

I believe you'd like the "Maisie" films

I likely need to check them out.. they are something that to be honest was TOTALLY off my radar. (I don't even remember hearing about them before, that I can recall) until you started talking about them.

I'm all of those! Well, with the exception of Bud Abbott

Um.. wrong Bud. HA! (meet me out at the ROCK QUARRY and I will

try and explain it to you) :P:P:P

As for Miss Brodie.. ha. I won't keep beating a "DEAD" horse (ha.. did you like how I worked that word in there for you??) :P:D

I am sure we are viewing this film from our own respective little corners of the world, ha, so that is pretty much how we will choose to see it all. Still, it's been fun to toss her back and forth with you a bit.

As for some of the other topics we've covered with regard to that conversation... again, I think this is just one of those areas where you will see it the way you do because of the more liberal ideals that you ascribe to. I have a different take on it.. and I think that there can be room for discussion on the topic, so I appreciate you hearing me out. I will add one more comment though because to me.. I really do think you have a misconception on why at least some parents may think the way that I do.. and it is regarding this:

I don't believe in micro-managing a child's life. I feel they need their own space to become a person.... We can't have mom and dad come in and attempt to remove all the bad for us. We have to learn to handle these things on our own

I don't think insuring your child receives a quality education is "micro-managing". Now yes.. there ARE some parents who do try to do that.. insinuating themselves into every aspect of a child's day at school (I have seen it myself, so I do understand that is a problem) But I also have seen that in some circles of education, there is a movement to "teach" an agenda.. along with reading, writing, etc, etc, etc. And please.. PLEASE know that I have nothing but the greatest respect for teachers and their profession. I know (and am friends with) several very good and dedicated school teachers. I respect their job and I respect the hard work that goes into it. But what I am talking about is something that goes deeper than even the classroom level. Curriculums that are used today are NOT what they were even back as recently as when YOU went to school (you whippersnapper, ha) and the politics that have become a part of every day teaching can sometimes even be a very subtle thing (and other times it is flagrant) and before you know it, it can become an "us vs them" situation in terms of what the school says about certain topics and what some parents may say.

And to me, that is where I draw the line. No one has the right to "un-teach" my child the things that I want her to learn about moral issues. I am not micro-managing her.. I am her parent. And she should not be taught that her respect for me (and the things I teach her in my home) is somehow less valuable or worthy to be learned than the things she hears about at school. And yet things like that happen EVERY day (and a lot of parents don't have the slightest idea) So it is important to stay involved. NO.. not peer over the teacher's shoulder or try to boss the school district around.. etc., etc. But just know what your child is learning.. and be their advocate if you feel there are issues to be concerned about. I guess that is all I am saying.

Today, it's a parent's ego that is completely inflated. They believe that everything they believe in must me taught in their child's school. Little do they even consider that there are other parents who don't think as they do. But it's never about the others. It's always about them and their child. It's way too much today. Way too much. But the genie is out of the bottle. Everyone thinks they are right... vanity

Well again.. I think I can understand what you are saying. Which I guess goes to MY point as well. It is not the school's responsibility to have to choose one parent's point of view over another. They take too much on themselves in promoting ANY "world view". Words like liberal and conservative really have no place in most school subjects. (unless you are teaching civics or perhaps history.. maybe) And yet you can find all sorts of leanings (one direction or another.. but you would likely agree they are mostly NOT to the conservative side, I may add) And this is true in most school districts (at all levels of education) all across the country. So yeah.. there IS some vanity maybe.. but to me it is on the part of those who seek to promote their own agendas in the classroom at the expense of the parent's rights at home.

But, ha.. let's don't get TOO much further down this road, dear friend. I know we've had these sorts of chats before.. and we get all muddy from our heads to our feet.. because we really do come from completely opposite sides of the fence on this. But while I truly do respect your opinion.. I know you are not going to change your opinion and I won't be changing mine. It is fun to bounce the ball back and forth.. but I just know that I have to answer to my own conscience. on this one, and this is how I feel led to think on behalf of my child. It's a very personal matter, to me, and my "vanity" has nothing to do with it, despite what you may think.

But HEY! Thanks for putting up with me, all the same.. ha. I promise not to fling any more mud at you.. (at least not with regard to THIS topic) :D But you never can tell.. I may have to sharpen my HAT pin. :D

Edited by: rohanaka on Mar 19, 2014 2:48 AM

Edited by: rohanaka on Mar 19, 2014 9:39 AM because I have to answer to my "conscience" not my "conscious' HA!! (Hey.. it was late when I was writing, and I am old.. you do the "math") Ha. :D

_Hey, Laffite_ -- *Her motivation for what she did was benign, she did not knowingly betray him, she thought she was helping. Not being able to see through the ruse is a part of her ditziness. But I know what you mean, I even had flashes of irritation with her when she did that :) .*

Her intentions were all good. She just wanted John (Edward G. Robinson) and Jack (Humphrey Bogart) to get along. Her naivete almost cost him dearly, though.

*I?m glad you said that, lots of trouble adjusting to Toler. You?re probably speaking comparatively, I can't even say who the original was.*

Yes, I was speaking of Sidney Toler in comparison to Warner Oland. I love Warner's "Charlie Chan". Sidney is all right. I'm sure I'll get used to him the more I see him.

*My adjustment is just with having him pretend to be Asian, something I should be over by now what with old Hollywood being what it was. At one point the sheriff refers to him as, "this here Oriental..." Toler is pretty good at it, I guess.*

That really hasn't bothered me. I believe watching classic film comes with understanding the times the films were made. That doesn't mean someone has to like it, though.

*I can remember seeing Charlie Chan movies when I was a kid, either TV or some theater that maybe put them on (I wasn?t around when they first came out :)) and my brother and I used to get a kick out of the references to number 1 son, Number 2 son, etc., we thought that was really funny.*

:D I only knew of Chan thanks to seeing the DVD box sets. This was about six years ago. I know the missing Molo is a big fan of Chan.

*Number Two son, yes, help and hindering by and by but providing (along with the sheriff) a little comic relief here and there. Victor Sen Yung is so young and for me a little dull, but I'm not being fair, I can't get out of my mind that splendid portrayal in The Letter. I looked him up on imbd and see he had a long movie career.*

I really like him. I love his youthful enthusiasm.

*I didn?t really enjoy the Chan movie that much, I doubt if I'll ever see another one, I had trouble getting through it, actually. You're right about the cast, though, lots of interesting supporting players.*

Chan isn't for everyone. I have come to like them. I love the forensics in the series.

*I thought it dragged too, but only the second half. I was quite taken with the beginning. Of course I?m "modern" and therefore jaded about real old films like this, I couldn?t really get a fright about it, but I was thinking how scary this might have been had I been there watching this in a theater at the time it came out. I think it would have scared me, especially if I were a kid. This must have been a pretty well made film at the time.*

I'm sure it was really scary for those days. But I'm like you with classic film: I'm rarely frightened by them. I love the atmosphere of classic horror.

*I haven?t seen a lot of Bela but yes, very good, what a face. In general, all the acting came across especially well, I think those most responsible for making this movie really knew what they were doing. I liked it overall.*

Bela is at his best in roles like this. He's a very good "silent actor". And then his thick accent makes him appealing, as well.

*I think I have The Tender Trap and Hobson?s Choice coming, they were on your list.*

I'm sure you'll appreciate *Hobson's Choice*. I have no idea how you'll like *The Tender Trap*.

_Hola, Quiet Gal_ -- *Oh good grief. DUH!! No.. I have NOT seen that one. (ha) I looked it up online the other day and I must have had it confused with a DIFFERENT Debbie movie though don't ask me what one.. because whatever it was it HAS been a long times since I saw it (oh for pity's sake, I am a doofus) After reading the synopsis for TTT, um.. yeah. I am with you.. I would be shocked if I liked that one TOO. Ha. (silly me) :D*

I was starting to wonder! You would like David Wayne and Celeste Holm in the film, though. They form the wise-cracking "Greek chorus".

*I likely need to check them out.. they are something that to be honest was TOTALLY off my radar. (I don't even remember hearing about them before, that I can recall) until you started talking about them.*

Maisie (Ann Sothern) is a feisty woman who often ends up in a situation that typically concludes with a sweet result.

*Um.. wrong Bud. HA! (meet me out at the ROCK QUARRY and I will*

*try and explain it to you) :P:P:P*

Ha! Now I know who I am! I'm still waiting for you on the roof!

And with the rest of the discussion, I'm leaving you with the final words. I think we have both made our points.

Now I know who I am! I'm still waiting for you on the roof

HA! Oh yeah, sure. I'll meet you up there.. (hey.. we can even go together, let's take the truck. You go first) :D

I'm leaving you with the final words

Aw man.. what? No HAT PIN?? :D

All kidding aside, thanks for talking it out with me. I enjoy the fact that for all our cutting up.. we don't rip each other apart, ha. I like that I can have a chat like that one with you and not end up in a shouting match. Respect is a two way street and I appreciate that you feel secure enough in your own opinions that you don't feel like you have to beat me up with angry words if I tell you my own (and equally certain) points of view. It is nice to have a friend I can chat with that way.

All I can say is, Ethel.. we are a rare pair, you and I. HA. :P:D

*HA! Oh yeah, sure. I'll meet you up there.. (hey.. we can even go together, let's take the truck. You go first) :D*

We're taking the truck to the roof?!

*Aw man.. what? No HAT PIN?? :D*

I expect to get the hat pin no matter what!

*All kidding aside, thanks for talking it out with me. I enjoy the fact that for all our cutting up.. we don't rip each other apart, ha. I like that I can have a chat like that one with you and not end up in a shouting match. Respect is a two way street and I appreciate that you feel secure enough in your own opinions that you don't feel like you have to beat me up with angry words if I tell you my own (and equally certain) points of view. It is nice to have a friend I can chat with that way.*

I like and respect you far too much to do such a thing. And it's also not my style. Just because I think a certain way or believe in something it doesn't mean I don't value the right of others to do the same. That really is who I am.

And, besides, you should see the discussions Miss G and I have had through the years. Talk about getting pummeled! :D Don't you believe for one moment that "Minnie" is a mouse!

*All I can say is, Ethel.. we are a rare pair, you and I. HA. :P:D*

That's hilarious! I should just watch the show to see how ridiculous we really are!

I should just watch the show to see how ridiculous we really are

Ha.. you really should. (it is just a fun screwball sort of show) As for Fred and Ethel..

They are ALMOST as nutso as Lucy, ha (except maybe Fred has a LITTLE more sense.. MAYBE) Ethel and Lucy get into one goofball mess after another and Fred is usually on Ricky's side. But sometimes Fred gets dragged into the hairbrained schemes Lucy will cook up too.

Still.. somewhere along the way, in nearly every episode, Fred (that's ME) and Ethel (that's YOU) ha.. we bicker back and forth.. and back and forth.. and then we bicker some more.

Basically.. you can't live without me. :D:P:D

*Still.. somewhere along the way, in nearly every episode, Fred (that's ME) and Ethel (that's YOU) ha.. we bicker back and forth.. and back and forth.. and then we bicker some more.*

I know how that is!

*Basically.. you can't live without me. :D:P:D*

:D How do we men get to this point?!

Here is what I have just recently watched:

The Animal Kingdom (1932)

Bad for Each Other (1953)

Band of Angels (1957)

Belle Starr (1941)

Blues in the Night (1941)

Born Yesterday (1950)

Brute Force (1947)

Charlie Chan at Treasure Island (1939)

Counsellor at Law (1933)

Destination Murder (1950)

Executive Suite (1954)

The Fearmakers (1958)

Forsaking All Others (1934)

The Gold Rush (1925)

The Great Sinner (1949)

Haunted Gold (1932)

He Ran All the Way (1951)

Hotel Reserve (1944)

Idiot's Delight (1939)

The Invisible Menace (1938)

Johnny Apollo (1940)

Julius Caesar (1953)

The Lawless Breed (1953)

Maisie Gets Her Man (1942)

The Mayor of Hell (1933)

Outpost in Morocco (1949)

Park Row (1952)

The Public Menace (1935)

The Rains of Ranchipur (1955)

The Search (1948)

State of the Union (1948)

Sunset Blvd. (1950)

Tales of Manhattan (1942)

They Died with Their Boots On (1941)

Three Wise Girls (1932)

Together Again (1944)

Torchy Gets Her Man (1938)

Two of a Kind (1951)

The Undercover Man (1949)

Yellow Sky (1948)

I'd love to hear your (and anyone's) thoughts on any of these titles. Any favorites? Any guess on my top ten?

> Idiot's Delight (1939)

Bad Russian accents particularly grate on me but this one is so very unrealistic that it imparts a nearly surreal quality.

> Tales of Manhattan (1942)

This is one of my favorite movies! I love in particular the segment in which Ginger Rogers playfully seduces Henry Fonda. It is so very precious! :)

That segment is available on YouTube in three parts. It is one of the few partial American movie videos which I have put into a playlist so that I can watch it at will.

It is the movie also which introduced me to the phrase: "not as sharp as a rowboat."

17 for me.

Among my favorites you'll find -

Born Yesterday

Executive Suite

The Search

State of The Union

Together Again

Yellow Sky

Others that were fine films include -

Brute Force

The Gold Rush

He Ran All The Way

Sunset Blvd

They Died With Their Boots On.

I see there is at least one more Wayne "B" picture. That may be too high a grade. They are okay for what they are but take away the stunt work and there isn't much left.

Another varied group for you.

Adding comments about some others not previously mentioned:

The Rains of Ranchipur is a rather dull remake of the very fine film The Rains Came.

Johnny Apollo is a nifty noir or gangster film, with Tyrone Power in a good role, Dorothy Lamour proving herself a really fine actress (wish she'd had more parts like this), and strong direction by Henry Hathaway.

The 1953 Julius Caesar is pretty good. Brando got vocal coaching from John Gielgud and made a strong Antony. Cassius was one of Gielgud's favorite Shakespearean roles.

Blues in the Night turns into a kind of noir musical. The shift in tone when Lloyd Nolan is helped onto the train shouldn't work, but I think it does.

Band of Angels, not great, is still worth seeing, and Yvonne DeCarlo could believably be mixed race.

Here is what I have just recently watched

Hello Mr. Grey..

HEY! What do you know I have actually (ha) seen a few on this latest list. (though still not very many) But some I am not sure about.. would have to go in and look them all up to be sure.. so will not be able to comment much until I have more time.

What I can remember:

Band of Angels

I have NO idea for how you would rate this other than I would imagine not TOO high. (sort of a soap opera, perhaps,) And maybe not the most politically correct movie ever made, either. ha.

But I remember seeing it for the very first time way (wayyyyyy) back when I was a kid and being totally intrigued.. just by the concept of what it would be like to be Yvonne DeCarlo in that movie. wowsa..

Anyway.. I have seen it again since then and likely would have to say I still feel the same. It is thought-provoking just to be able to step outside your own self and imagine if you were her.. OR Sidney Poitier for that matter. Both characters give you something to think about.

Born Yesterday

I love this movie, if only for the way she comes into her own (eventually) I also like the remake from back in the 80's (I think?) with Melanie Griffith and Don Johnson (ha.. and that may be the ONLY time you'll ever see me tell you that I liked Don Johnson.. but I really did enjoy it)

The Gold Rush

Woo hoo! Hope you liked it. (not sure if it will be a favorite for you, but hope you found some of it to your liking.. at least as much as the jr high girls in my scout troop did, ha) :)

State of the Union

Seen it.. but it's been a looonnng time (I think) I do enjoy some of those Hepburn/Tracy movies, but can't recall where I'd put it in my list.. (if I made lists, ha)

Sunset Blvd

What a disturbing movie. To me its almost kinda like driving past a train wreck, ha. You know you SHOULD look away, but you just can't. :D I have not seen it in a long while, but I do recall being very intrigued by how it was all going to play out (given you know at least ONE of the characters' outcomes before it even starts) Will be interested in hearing what you thought of this one.

Will have to look into a couple of the other titles before I can say for sure if I've seen them or not. Some ring a bell.. but I can't say for sure why. Maybe just familiar with the title, but I may have seen one or two more too. ha. (what can I say? it's late and I am old.. and my brain cells aren't what they used to be) :D

Edited by: rohanaka on Mar 25, 2014 12:39 AM

Grimesy - ( :-) ) Good to see you are increasing your vocabulary on classic films by leaps and bounds. I see westerns, comedies, dramas, noir and a silent, on your latest list. You've got a myriad of types as well. Looks to be an enjoyable journey for you this diving into classic films and kibbitzing with folks on-line. You learn something from every film ( and ev'ry film fan ) whether it's a hit or a miss and we learn from you. This Message Board is about to undergo some big changes. Who knows what the heck will be on the other side of this all, but I just wanted to send you my regards here and I hope Kyle's thread for you remains intact. Keep your lists and bon mots coming.

NEW MESSAGE BOARDS? YIKES!!!

Too many changes going on in my life! I need to know some things will never change...well...this board does NEED to have CERTAIN changes made (we all have been down THAT road tooooooo long....).

So I will try to reply to your list, Frank, today before everything is consigned to upgrade-limbo.

Where in the world is JackFavell?! I hope she survives the upgrade.

Now I have to check out Rohanaka's review of DUEL IN THE SUN, I'm sure the discussion is as colorful as the movie. CinemAva, hope you mosey on down to the western forum for that...I think I recall you found it, um, interesting!

'Lust in the Dust'!

i don't remember much about this one, except ann, leslie and myrna in a triangle and they all trying to out-noble one another.

I have not seen this one---or have completely forgotten it. Heston and Lizabeth Scott, directed by (Now, Voyager) Irving Rapper? That's worth seeing at least once.

Band of Angels (1957)

I like, as I said in another thread---but it's overly long and the maid is obnoxious. I really like Yvonne, she's terrific and very beautiful. I feel Walsh tried to turn "Rhett Butler" upside down, even satirize him (that absurd "welcome wagon" scene---oh how he must have laughed at his old friend up there looking foolish!)

Belle Starr (1941)

Squeeky voiced Gene?

I haven't seen this one all the way through though I keep hearing good things about it.

Born Yesterday (1950)

Good movie, really smart and great acting all around.

Brute Force (1947)

Heavy movie but it does pack a punch. Burt is really savage and Hume Cronyn plays yet another sadist with a Napoleon complex.

Counsellor at Law (1933)

I thought you'd seen this already! I adore this movie. It's one of my very favorites by Barrymore. He really worked on this one, didn't just walk through it. With a lot of help from Wyler. I find his character touching.

Executive Suite (1954)

It's a bit dry to me. There are some good moments, but I prefer Targets, which is similar, or even The Man in the Grey Flannel Suit.

The Fearmakers (1958)

This one disappointed me by lacking any real tension or suspense, given the title.

A fun, 1930s romp with a beautiful cast.

The Gold Rush (1925)

Maybe the funniest, to me, of the Chaplins I've seen (I have not seen them all). LOVE it.

The Great Sinner (1949)

I found this one a bore, incredibly, even though the story idea is rather fascinating. Greg and Ava just don't "spark" here like they did in Hemingway's tale and On the Beach.

Pretty suspenseful. Sad because Garfield died shortly after, maybe he shouldn't have run all the way with a bad heart!

Charlie Buschinsky has a memorable bit part.

Hotel Reserve (1944)

I found this WWII spy movie set in Europe rather fascinating. It had atmosphere and James Mason and Herbert Lom are splendid.

Idiot's Delight (1939)

The first time I saw it as a teen I hated it. Then I saw it a few years ago and found it delightful and funny until it turned serious. So, the first half or so I love. I would never have believed Norma could play a character like that. And Gable dancing!

Johnny Apollo (1940)

I was disappointed when I saw it, I expected more but maybe I should watch it again. I found it really "soft".

The Lawless Breed (1953)

I honestly have only seen this movie in patches...though it's Walsh and Rock Hudson, I just didn't get into it.

Park Row (1952)

Didn't get into it. Not Fuller's best, in my opinion.

Oy, as much as I like both Lana and Richard, this is excruciatingly bad. So bad I've never been able to finish it, and I've sat through some really bad stuff by both.

The Search (1948)

Excellent, heartbreaking movie. Very documentary style. That little boy just rips your heart out.

Not a favorite. Angela Lansbury seemed to be warming up for Manchuria.

Sunset Blvd. (1950)

It's a classic I can't take away from that, I just find the "wax works" scenes tiresome. What I got into was the relationship between Holden and Nancy Olson.

Haven't seen it in a long while, I remember liking some more than others---the one with Rita stands out.

Excellent, at least for the romance between Olivia and Errol. They don't really have tons of scenes that are romantic but by the time that last moment comes, you've invested in them more than you realize and it's just so achingly poignant. Then add that layer of reality because Flynn really was in love with her and that was their last film together.

Three Wise Girls (1932)

Didn't care for it.

Together Again (1944)

Disappointing, considering the cast.

Two of a Kind (1951)

This one I think I did see and found it pretty entertaining. The look was very noir---the director was the same as for "Gilda" so no wonder, he's very stylish.

Good, solid Glenn Ford vehicle, but not "great".

Yellow Sky (1948)

Others seem to love this movie more than I do. I probably need to watch it again one day.

i don't remember much about this one, except ann, leslie and myrna in a triangle and they all trying to out-noble one another.

I have not seen this one---or have completely forgotten it. Heston and Lizabeth Scott, directed by (Now, Voyager) Irving Rapper? That's worth seeing at least once.

Band of Angels (1957)

I like, as I said in another thread---but it's overly long and the maid is obnoxious. I really like Yvonne, she's terrific and very beautiful. I feel Walsh tried to turn "Rhett Butler" upside down, even satirize him (that absurd "welcome wagon" scene---oh how he must have laughed at his old friend up there looking foolish!)

Belle Starr (1941)

Squeeky voiced Gene?

I haven't seen this one all the way through though I keep hearing good things about it.

Born Yesterday (1950)

Good movie, really smart and great acting all around.

Brute Force (1947)

Heavy movie but it does pack a punch. Burt is really savage and Hume Cronyn plays yet another sadist with a Napoleon complex.

Counsellor at Law (1933)

I thought you'd seen this already! I adore this movie. It's one of my very favorites by Barrymore. He really worked on this one, didn't just walk through it. With a lot of help from Wyler. I find his character touching.

Executive Suite (1954)

It's a bit dry to me. There are some good moments, but I prefer Targets, which is similar, or even The Man in the Grey Flannel Suit.

The Fearmakers (1958)

This one disappointed me by lacking any real tension or suspense, given the title.

A fun, 1930s romp with a beautiful cast.

The Gold Rush (1925)

Maybe the funniest, to me, of the Chaplins I've seen (I have not seen them all). LOVE it.

The Great Sinner (1949)

I found this one a bore, incredibly, even though the story idea is rather fascinating. Greg and Ava just don't "spark" here like they did in Hemingway's tale and On the Beach.

Pretty suspenseful. Sad because Garfield died shortly after, maybe he shouldn't have run all the way with a bad heart!

Charlie Buschinsky has a memorable bit part.

Hotel Reserve (1944)

I found this WWII spy movie set in Europe rather fascinating. It had atmosphere and James Mason and Herbert Lom are splendid.

Idiot's Delight (1939)

The first time I saw it as a teen I hated it. Then I saw it a few years ago and found it delightful and funny until it turned serious. So, the first half or so I love. I would never have believed Norma could play a character like that. And Gable dancing!

Johnny Apollo (1940)

I was disappointed when I saw it, I expected more but maybe I should watch it again. I found it really "soft".

The Lawless Breed (1953)

I honestly have only seen this movie in patches...though it's Walsh and Rock Hudson, I just didn't get into it.

Park Row (1952)

Didn't get into it. Not Fuller's best, in my opinion.

Oy, as much as I like both Lana and Richard, this is excruciatingly bad. So bad I've never been able to finish it, and I've sat through some really bad stuff by both.

The Search (1948)

Excellent, heartbreaking movie. Very documentary style. That little boy just rips your heart out.

Not a favorite. Angela Lansbury seemed to be warming up for Manchuria.

Sunset Blvd. (1950)

It's a classic I can't take away from that, I just find the "wax works" scenes tiresome. What I got into was the relationship between Holden and Nancy Olson.

Haven't seen it in a long while, I remember liking some more than others---the one with Rita stands out.

Excellent, at least for the romance between Olivia and Errol. They don't really have tons of scenes that are romantic but by the time that last moment comes, you've invested in them more than you realize and it's just so achingly poignant. Then add that layer of reality because Flynn really was in love with her and that was their last film together.

Three Wise Girls (1932)

Didn't care for it.

Together Again (1944)

Disappointing, considering the cast.

Two of a Kind (1951)

This one I think I did see and found it pretty entertaining. The look was very noir---the director was the same as for "Gilda" so no wonder, he's very stylish.

Good, solid Glenn Ford vehicle, but not "great".

Yellow Sky (1948)

Others seem to love this movie more than I do. I probably need to watch it again one day.

Here is how I liked the films:

1. Blues in the Night (1941)

2. Sunset Blvd. (1950)

3. The Search (1948)

4. The Gold Rush (1925)

5. Yellow Sky (1948)

6. Counsellor at Law (1933)

7. Executive Suite (1954)

8. State of the Union (1948)

9. Born Yesterday (1950)

10. He Ran All the Way (1951)

11. Brute Force (1947)

12. Charlie Chan at Treasure Island (1939)

13. The Mayor of Hell (1933)

14. Forsaking All Others (1934)

15. Park Row (1952)

16. Together Again (1944)

17. Tales of Manhattan (1942)

18. The Undercover Man (1949)

19. The Lawless Breed (1953)

20. The Fearmakers (1958)

21. They Died with Their Boots On (1941)

22. Torchy Gets Her Man (1938)

23. The Great Sinner (1949)

24. Hotel Reserve (1944)

25. Johnny Apollo (1940)

26. Belle Starr (1941)

27. Two of a Kind (1951)

28. Band of Angels (1957)

29. Idiot's Delight (1939)

30. Julius Caesar (1953)

31. The Public Menace (1935)

32. Haunted Gold (1932)

33. Bad for Each Other (1953)

34. Maisie Gets Her Man (1942)

35. Destination Murder (1950)

36. The Invisible Menace (1938)

37. Three Wise Girls (1932)

38. The Animal Kingdom (1932)

39. The Rains of Ranchipur (1955)

40. Outpost in Morocco (1949)

_Hola, SansFin_ -- *Bad Russian accents particularly grate on me but this one is so very unrealistic that it imparts a nearly surreal quality.*

That made me laugh! Norma really does go overboard in *Idiot's Delight*. She was bothering me, as well.

*Tales of Manhattan (1942)*

*This is one of my favorite movies! I love in particular the segment in which Ginger Rogers playfully seduces Henry Fonda. It is so very precious! :)*

:) That was a very cute segment in the film. I actually liked Eddie G.'s segment the very most. I also liked seeing Charles Laughton with Elsa Lanchester.

*That segment is available on YouTube in three parts. It is one of the few partial American movie videos which I have put into a playlist so that I can watch it at will.*

That's great!

_Hi, Movieman_ -- *17 for me.*

That's about right for you. You almost always place around fifty percent. That's a good showing.

*Among my favorites you'll find -*

*Born Yesterday*

*Executive Suite*

*The Search*

*State of The Union*

*Together Again*

*Yellow Sky*

I liked all of those. So we are on the same wavelength.

*Others that were fine films include -*

*Brute Force*

*The Gold Rush*

*He Ran All The Way*

*Sunset Blvd*

*They Died With Their Boots On.*

And I pretty much liked all of those. *They Died with Their Boots On* is the one I wasn't as keen on.

*I see there is at least one more Wayne "B" picture. That may be too high a grade. They are okay for what they are but take away the stunt work and there isn't much left.*

It's a different kind of early western for Duke. I loved the horror elements of the film.

*Another varied group for you.*

I'm trying! I do look to watch an equal amount of 30s, 40s, and 50s films. And since everyone has such varied tastes, I end up watching different genres.

_Hey there, Kingrat_ -- I enjoy checking out your top ten lists for the individual years over at SSO.

*The Rains of Ranchipur is a rather dull remake of the very fine film The Rains Came.*

I completely agree. It's frustratingly bad. I couldn't believe they changed the ending.

*Johnny Apollo is a nifty noir or gangster film, with Tyrone Power in a good role, Dorothy Lamour proving herself a really fine actress (wish she'd had more parts like this), and strong direction by Henry Hathaway.*

I thought it was a pretty solid father/son gangster pic. It's an interesting role for Edward Arnold. I do agree with you about Dorothy Lamour. She's really good playing "dames".

*The 1953 Julius Caesar is pretty good. Brando got vocal coaching from John Gielgud and made a strong Antony. Cassius was one of Gielgud's favorite Shakespearean roles.*

I'm very new to Shakespeare, so I can't even say if this is the kind of Shakespeare I'm going to like or not. I was very impressed by James Mason and John Gielgud. I give Brando a ton of credit for his work, too. I was surprised to find Edmond O'Brien. That really amazed me, actually.

*Blues in the Night turns into a kind of noir musical. The shift in tone when Lloyd Nolan is helped onto the train shouldn't work, but I think it does.*

I was floored by the film. It's so darn unique in a great way. As you say, it plays like a musical film noir. That's remarkable.

*Band of Angels, not great, is still worth seeing, and Yvonne DeCarlo could believably be mixed race.*

Yvonne was quite convincing. I liked her a lot. The film fell short for me, though. I just couldn't grab onto anything.

_Ciao, CinemAva_ -- *Grimesy - ( :-) ) Good to see you are increasing your vocabulary on classic films by leaps and bounds. I see westerns, comedies, dramas, noir and a silent, on your latest list. You've got a myriad of types as well. Looks to be an enjoyable journey for you this diving into classic films and kibbitzing with folks on-line. You learn something from every film ( and ev'ry film fan ) whether it's a hit or a miss and we learn from you.*

Thank you! You are much too kind. I do enjoy the journey because I enjoy the people. All the fascinating characters in all these films are one thing, but the people I discuss the films with on this board are even more compelling to me.

*This Message Board is about to undergo some big changes. Who knows what the heck will be on the other side of this all, but I just wanted to send you my regards here and I hope Kyle's thread for you remains intact. Keep your lists and bon mots coming.*

I'm not sure what we'll be encountering on the other side. I just hope I continue to encounter you and the rest of the "Ramblers".

_Howdy, Ma Stone_ -- *Band of Angels*

*I have NO idea for how you would rate this other than I would imagine not TOO high. (sort of a soap opera, perhaps,) And maybe not the most politically correct movie ever made, either. ha.*

You have it right. While I do like some soap, I wasn't too keen on this one. I like Miss G's calling this sort of a satire of Gable's "Rhett Butler". I can definitely see that.

*But I remember seeing it for the very first time way (wayyyyyy) back when I was a kid and being totally intrigued.. just by the concept of what it would be like to be Yvonne DeCarlo in that movie. wowsa..*

That's a great way to look at the film. And it's how I did view some of the film. What in the world would I do if I was all of a sudden taken away from my happy life and treated as a slave? Amantha (Yvonne De Carlo) was much more courageous than I would have been!

*Anyway.. I have seen it again since then and likely would have to say I still feel the same. It is thought-provoking just to be able to step outside your own self and imagine if you were her.. OR Sidney Poitier for that matter. Both characters give you something to think about.*

It's a tough film because Hamish (Clark Gable) is a good guy but he still has slaves. I know it was the time, but it really held me back from really liking Hamish. Of course, the film does a good job of showing the hypocrisy of another character in the film, as well.

*Born Yesterday*

*I love this movie, if only for the way she comes into her own (eventually) I also like the remake from back in the 80's (I think?) with Melanie Griffith and Don Johnson (ha.. and that may be the ONLY time you'll ever see me tell you that I liked Don Johnson.. but I really did enjoy it)*

I thought it was a sweet comedy with a lot of crassness. Boy, is Broderick Crawford ever remarkable in the film. What a loudmouth! "Billie" (Judy Holliday) is nothing but lovely. I loved her want to better herself with the idea of making Paul (William Holden) proud of her.

*The Gold Rush*

*Woo hoo! Hope you liked it. (not sure if it will be a favorite for you, but hope you found some of it to your liking.. at least as much as the jr high girls in my scout troop did, ha) :)*

I liked *Modern Times* better but I did like this one. It started slowly for me, but once the love story was introduced, I started to really like it. Some very funny gags in the picture. My favorite is definitely the "dog" scene.

*Sunset Blvd*

*What a disturbing movie. To me its almost kinda like driving past a train wreck, ha. You know you SHOULD look away, but you just can't. :D I have not seen it in a long while, but I do recall being very intrigued by how it was all going to play out (given you know at least ONE of the characters' outcomes before it even starts) Will be interested in hearing what you thought of this one.*

"Disturbing" is a good word for it. I actually found myself feeling sorry for Norma (Gloria Swanson). There was a lot of sadness to be found with her. I ended up not liking Joe (William Holden) because of how he viewed Norma. But he did come to feel for her. I'll give him that.

I'm hoping to reply to your post on the "other side", Fordy Guns. Thank you for commenting on so many of the films!

I'm hoping to reply to your post on the "other side", Fordy Guns. Thank you for commenting on so many of the films!

Well it looks like we can now post here...but as you see, the board wouldn't accept my re-registration as MissG.  Hopefully the moderators can figure it out.

I'm in but everything is reversed. It also looks like I'm down about 500+ posts. I was so looking forward to my 7000 post party.

• Like 1