hlywdkjk

The Annual FrankGrimes Torture Thread

12,977 posts in this topic

Hahahahahaha.. Phony Frank. Too funny. (does this mean I have to start calling you PHONY Dude instead of Grey Dude??? (But I don't care WHAT name  you go by, I will still have to use my real hat pin and frozen rope, though)  :P

I wouldn't want it any other way!  We both need to figure out how to post some pics.  I see there is a way to go around Photobucket.  That would be huge for me.  And I saw what you wrote in Rambles.  I fully expect lots of eye-rolling directed at me!

Glad to see you made it Frank!

I hope the journey was not too perilous. I know reading many of the other posters here abouts they had excruiatingly terrible trips. So I am glad you are not any for the worse for wear.

Pretty cool about adding avatars, huh? Is that you at the beach? I did not know they had any beaches in Harrisburg. Don't they have a three mile long island???

Hi, Movieman -- Good. I'm glad "real" Frank is here.

And I'm glad the one and only Movieman is here!

Now if I can stay logged in I might be able to add something.

Are you getting bounced from the board?

Hey, ReyMan -- Glad to see you made it Frank! I hope the journey was not too perilous. I know reading many of the other posters here abouts they had excruiatingly terrible trips. So I am glad you are not any for the worse for wear.

I copied "Pappy's Girl", which can be dangerous. :D  If I didn't sign up as a "newbie", I wouldn't have been able to contact a moderator.  Once they got involved, I had no problems at all.

Pretty cool about adding avatars, huh?

I'm not someone who goes for that, yet I'm now thinking of changing it a lot.  So goes me.  I'm always hesitant to change and try new things, but once pushed, I often end up liking the change.

Is that you at the beach?

How do you see me?  I'm lurking off screen.  But that's my favorite girl in her big white sunglasses.

I did not know they had any beaches in Harrisburg. Don't they have a three mile long island???

Yeah, we do have that.  That's more like "On the Beach".

I am getting bounced out on my computer at work almost with every screen after I sign in. One of the other posters is having trouble using XP and that may be my problem. I'm getting by. Have to find a way to stay in touch with the gang.

Seeing your avatar I wonder, does this mean at long last I should retire "Sir Francis"? (I'd just as soon have mine read Chris instead of "Advanced Member." I feel old enough without them reminding me.

GREY Dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (is it REALLY you!) ha. Wowsa.. that avatar.What a lovely beach girl. (I figured you'd go with Sherriff Lane, ha.. you know.. because you are such a WHITE hat kinda guy). :D

Ha.. Miss G.. maybe we should post pictures of what WE think his avatar should be. (oh wait.. I can't post pictures without using my thumbnails.. ha.. maybe another time) :D

Meanwhile, Mr. Grey.. doggone it!! I just realized one of the movies (I THINK) you mentioned to me is on.. tonight.. more than HALF over, already) I didn't even know it was coming on.. I tried to catch up, but I have missed too much of it to know what is going on.. so here I am, missing out ONCE more. (bah!)

dadgum!

Hi, Musicman -- I am getting bounced out on my computer at work almost with every screen after I sign in. One of the other posters is having trouble using XP and that may be my problem. I'm getting by. Have to find a way to stay in touch with the gang.

I have XP and I'm holding my breath for the loss of Microsoft's "protection".  And I haven't had any issues since I got onto the site.

Did the moderator help you get onto the site or were you able to re-register without any help?

Seeing your avatar I wonder, does this mean at long last I should retire "Sir Francis"? (I'd just as soon have mine read Chris instead of "Advanced Member." I feel old enough without them reminding me.

That made me laugh!  I saw that Patful had "Advanced Age" with his.  That was good.  I like "Sir Francis" and you can call me "Scott", too.  Mix it up!

Howdy, Ma Stone -- GREY Dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (is it REALLY you!) ha. Wowsa.. that avatar.What a lovely beach girl. (I figured you'd go with Sherriff Lane, ha.. you know.. because you are such a WHITE hat kinda guy). :D

:D  I think I'm gonna fool around with my avatar.  I like your Sheriff Layne idea!  And I certainly know who the real "Sheriff Lane" is.  Talk about the Law!  I decided to go with Francie first for personal reasons.  You will probably get a kick out of the one I'm looking to use next.

Ha.. Miss G.. maybe we should post pictures of what WE think his avatar should be. (oh wait.. I can't post pictures without using my thumbnails.. ha.. maybe another time) :D

That's a funny idea!  I've got some for you, I'll say that! :P

Meanwhile, Mr. Grey.. doggone it!! I just realized one of the movies (I THINK) you mentioned to me is on.. tonight.. more than HALF over, already) I didn't even know it was coming on.. I tried to catch up, but I have missed too much of it to know what is going on.. so here I am, missing out ONCE more. (bah!) dadgum!

You're right!  I didn't even know The Naked City was on.  You would like that one.  You'd love Barry Fitzgerald as a detective.

AGH! Ok.. I am seeing a pattern here. I am not able to quote people OR copy and paste (so I can make my own quotes)

Did I mention AGH!! ha. (Oh well.. its not the end of the world.  I will try to not whine.. at least not much.. not for now.. not at this moment.. for a while, I hope. That is my plan. (maybe) HA!  

ANYWAY.. Grey Dude, ha.. I am on the edge of my seat to see what your next avatar will be. ha. (and ps.. there is only ONE Sherriff Layne (that I know of.. and that would be.. um.. YOU! Even if I DID spell the name wrong.. and even if his last name IS "Hunter" ha)  :D

In the meantime.. what DO you mean you have avatar suggestions for me. ha. (I thought the one I picked already showed the "real"  me) ha.

I have XP and I'm holding my breath for the loss of Microsoft's "protection".

Support for XP ends tomorrow, so you should survive your breath-holding.

The Animal Kingdom (1932)
i don't remember much about this one, except ann, leslie and myrna in a triangle and they all trying to out-noble one another.

"Out-noble"!  You're killing me!  Myrna wasn't too noble, actually.  Leslie and Ann were, without a doubt.  I thought the film was terribly dry.

Bad for Each Other (1953)
I have not seen this one---or have completely forgotten it. Heston and Lizabeth Scott, directed by (Now, Voyager) Irving Rapper? That's worth seeing at least once.

Think again!  Another dry offering.  Heston as a doctor?  Liz is pretty much wasted, and not in the drunk sense.

Band of Angels (1957)
I like, as I said in another thread---but it's overly long and the maid is obnoxious. I really like Yvonne, she's terrific and very beautiful. I feel Walsh tried to turn "Rhett Butler" upside down, even satirize him (that absurd "welcome wagon" scene---oh how he must have laughed at his old friend up there looking foolish!)

I can't even remember the "welcome wagon" scene!  I love your comment of the film being a satire of "Rhett Butler".  I think that's it.  But I just couldn't get into the film.  Yvonne is beautiful and mostly interesting.  I was okay with Gable.  Even your obnoxious maid didn't bother me.  But the story just didn't move me much.

Belle Starr (1941)
Squeeky voiced Gene?

Yes!  But she wasn't too squeaky.  I was not expecting the film to play as it does.  It's completely a love story.

Blues in the Night (1941)
I haven't seen this one all the way through though I keep hearing good things about it.

I don't believe it's your kind of film, but I loved it.  It's so darn original.  A musical film noir?!

Born Yesterday (1950)
Good movie, really smart and great acting all around.

I thought it was both sweet and cute.  It's definitely a different kind of William Holden.  Broderick Crawford is a riot.  I pretty much liked Judy.

Brute Force (1947)
Heavy movie but it does pack a punch. Burt is really savage and Hume Cronyn plays yet another **** with a Napoleon complex.

I agree with your assessment.  I'm not crazy about prison films, per se, but this one was pretty good.  The ending is terrific.

Counsellor at Law (1933)
I thought you'd seen this already! I adore this movie. It's one of my very favorites by Barrymore. He really worked on this one, didn't just walk through it. With a lot of help from Wyler. I find his character touching.

You mentioned this as being a favorite of yours a while ago.  I'd always look for it on TCM and YouTube to no avail.  I finally tracked it down.  It's a fascinating film.  I don't know if Jackie has ever seen it, but she'd love it.

Executive Suite (1954)
It's a bit dry to me. There are some good moments, but I prefer Targets, which is similar, or even The Man in the Grey Flannel Suit.

You mean Patterns, right?  I actually enjoyed Executive Suite.  I loved the cowardly panic.  Holden is once again superb.  He's been great in the films I have seen him in recently.  Well, except for Rachel and the Stranger.  That Paul Douglas sure does fool around a lot!

The Fearmakers (1958)
This one disappointed me by lacking any real tension or suspense, given the title.

I pretty much agree with you.  I wanted more from the film.  I liked the set-up, but the story just doesn't find any legs.

Forsaking All Others (1934)
A fun, 1930s romp with a beautiful cast.

More agreement!  I enjoyed this one.  Gable is sensational in the film.  In fact, "Jeff Williams" is now one of my very favorite characters of his.

The Gold Rush (1925)
Maybe the funniest, to me, of the Chaplins I've seen (I have not seen them all). LOVE it.

Look at you!  I would not have guessed this with you.  Once the "Tramp" gets to town, I really started to enjoy the film.

The Great Sinner (1949)
I found this one a ****, incredibly, even though the story idea is rather fascinating. Greg and Ava just don't "spark" here like they did in Hemingway's tale and On the Beach.

How in the world did we get to agreeing this much?  The film is a "beautiful people" addicition film that lacks real substance.  I did like Ava.  She actually plays a good girl in this one.

He Ran All the Way (1951)
Pretty suspenseful. Sad because Garfield died shortly after, maybe he shouldn't have run all the way with a bad heart!
Charlie Buschinsky has a memorable bit part.

It's a really interesting film noir.  I'm not crazy about "captive" films but this one puts a nice twist on it.  It's somewhat similar to Dial 1119 due to evolving sympathies.

Hotel Reserve (1944)
I found this WWII spy movie set in Europe rather fascinating. It had atmosphere and James Mason and Herbert Lom are splendid.

This film really does have your kind of appeal.  I could see how you'd go for it.  It was lacking something for me.  I didn't like the ending.  I did like Julien Mitchell, who played the police chief.

****'s Delight (1939)
The first time I saw it as a teen I hated it. Then I saw it a few years ago and found it delightful and funny until it turned serious. So, the first half or so I love. I would never have believed Norma could play a character like that. And Gable

dancing!

What a strange film this is.  I was bothered by it more than I liked it.  I did love Burgess Meredith.  I've been liking Burgess a lot, lately.  It was interesting to see Gable playing this kind of character, but it's not one I like for him.  And Norma annoyed the heck out of me was once she went "Russian".  I found Edward Arnold's character to be quite interesting.

Johnny Apollo (1940)
I was disappointed when I saw it, I expected more but maybe I should watch it again. I found it really "soft".

It's a nice twist on the gangster genre since it features a father/son connection.  I do agree with you, I found it lacking, overall.  Dorothy Lamour was very good, though.

The Lawless Breed (1953)
I honestly have only seen this movie in patches...though it's Walsh and Rock Hudson, I just didn't get into it.

I thought it was pretty solid.  The first half is better than the second.  There's a good "escape" scene in the film.  I enjoyed Julie Adams in this one.  She's very sexy.

Park Row (1952)
Didn't get into it. Not Fuller's best, in my opinion.

A film about the newspaper wars in the late-1800s surely ain't for you.  But it's very much "Sam Fuller".  It's an idealistic film.  I'd say it's "lesser" Fuller but I still liked it.

The Rains of Ranchipur (1955)
Oy, as much as I like both Lana and Richard, this is excruciatingly bad. So bad I've never been able to finish it, and I've sat through some really bad stuff by both.

You couldn't finish it?  Wow!  I do think it's bad.  Who thinks of casting the super-passionate Richard Burton as an emotionless doctor?  Awful.  And they changed the ending from The Rains Came.  The ending is "who cares".

The Search (1948)
Excellent, heartbreaking movie. Very documentary style. That little boy just rips your heart out.

And I don't see it being your kind of film.  But it is all that you say.  It's exceptional.  This is one Quiet Gal would love.

State of the Union (1948)
Not a favorite. Angela Lansbury seemed to be warming up for Manchuria.

You are right!  Angela is great in the film.  And I also loved Kate.  I thought she was really good.  I liked the picture.  But I can see you not going for it because of the political setting.

Sunset Blvd. (1950)
It's a classic I can't take away from that, I just find the "wax works" scenes tiresome. What I got into was the relationship between Holden and Nancy Olson.

And you are probably the only person who goes for that relationship more than Norma (Gloria Swanson).  I found the film to be sad, actually.  I really felt for Norma.  I didn't like Holden in this one.  He's on the cruel side.

Tales of Manhattan (1942)
Haven't seen it in a long while, I remember liking some more than others---the one with Rita stands out.

I fully expected to like the Rita (with Charles Boyer, for goodness sake!) and Ginger stories the most, but I didn't.  I liked the others more.  I especially like Eddie G's story.

They Died with Their Boots On (1941)
Excellent, at least for the romance between Olivia and Errol. They don't really have tons of scenes that are romantic but by the time that last moment comes, you've invested in them more than you realize and it's just so achingly poignant. Then add that layer of reality because Flynn really was in love with her and that was their last film together.

I would have never guessed you liking this one.  I wasn't too crazy about it.  But I did like the love story with Errol and Olivia.  That was the best part of the film for me.

Three Wise Girls (1932)
Didn't care for it.

I was disappointed in that one, too.

Together Again (1944)
Disappointing, considering the cast.

I liked it!  Charles Boyer was marvelous and Charles Coburn is hilarious!  And I also went for Irene Dunne.  I thought it was very romantic.

Two of a Kind (1951)
This one I think I did see and found it pretty entertaining. The look was very noir---the director was the same as for "Gilda" so no wonder, he's very stylish.

It's a crazy set-up for a film but the outcome was a letdown.  Edmond O'Brien and Liz Scott?  Now that's interesting.  I liked them both, too.

The Undercover Man (1949)
Good, solid Glenn Ford vehicle, but not "great".

I completely agree.  There are some high points but the overall vibe is mostly flat.

Yellow Sky (1948)
Others seem to love this movie more than I do. I probably need to watch it again one day.

Ha!  You won't like it anymore.  Shelley Winters playing a "tomboy" isn't your kind of picture.  It's another good Gregory Peck showing, though.

Good evening, Quiet Gal -- AGH! Ok.. I am seeing a pattern here. I am not able to quote people OR copy and paste (so I can make my own quotes)

Did I mention AGH!! ha. (Oh well.. its not the end of the world.  I will try to not whine.. at least not much.. not for now.. not at this moment.. for a while, I hope. That is my plan. (maybe) HA!

Hmmmmm, that's curious.  I'm not sure what would cause that.

ANYWAY.. Grey Dude, ha.. I am on the edge of my seat to see what your next avatar will be. ha. (and ps.. there is only ONE Sherriff Layne (that I know of.. and that would be.. um.. YOU! Even if I DID spell the name wrong.. and even if his last name IS "Hunter" ha)  :D

I'm definitely Sheriff Layne!  But I know who the other sheriff is.  You break those laws and look out!

In the meantime.. what DO you mean you have avatar suggestions for me. ha. (I thought the one I picked already showed the "real"  me) ha.

But what about your favorites?!

primeofmissjeanbrodie12_zpsfed1bf60.jpg

duelinthesun4_zpsf9713482.jpg

Yellow Sky (1948)

Others seem to love this movie more than I do. I probably need to watch it again one day.

Ha!  You won't like it anymore.  Shelley Winters playing a "tomboy" isn't your kind of picture.  It's another good Gregory Peck showing, though.

That was Anne Baxter.

As far as my computer troubles go I have been able to get back in. I just can't stay in. Every time I change a page I have to log in again. Also, if I hit the TCM Message Board heading in the thread I get an error page and have to come back into the web site. 

It's a pain but you and the ladies are worth it.

Yellow Sky (1948)

That was Anne Baxter.

As far as my computer troubles go I have been able to get back in. I just can't stay in. Every time I change a page I have to log in again. Also, if I hit the TCM Message Board heading in the thread I get an error page and have to come back into the web site. 

It's a pain but you and the ladies are worth it.

Goodness, Chris...have you PM'd the moderators about this?  Can you try a different browser?

Bad for Each Other (1953)

I have not seen this one---or have completely forgotten it. Heston and Lizabeth Scott, directed by (Now, Voyager) Irving Rapper? That's worth seeing at least once.

Think again!  Another dry offering.  Heston as a doctor?  Liz is pretty much wasted, and not in the drunk sense.

I think I get the picture...I would like to see it anyway, just for the cast.  Even though I'm not crazy about Heston he always makes me curious to watch his films to see if I might actually like him (because mostly I don't, except for Will Penny, Touch of Evil and The Big Country, where I liked him a lot).

I can't even remember the "welcome wagon" scene!  I love your comment of the film being a satire of "Rhett Butler".  I think that's it.  But I just couldn't get into the film.  Yvonne is beautiful and mostly interesting.  I was okay with Gable.  Even your obnoxious maid didn't bother me.  But the story just didn't move me much.

I can see it not being your cuppa.

Yes!  But she wasn't too squeaky.  I was not expecting the film to play as it does.  It's completely a love story.

It is a triangle and with Randolph Scott and Dana Andrews I expected more sparks, but I actually did not care for it.

I don't believe it's your kind of film, but I loved it.  It's so darn original.  A musical film noir?!

Well, it combined two of Webb's passions: jazz music and crime. :D

I agree with your assessment.  I'm not crazy about prison films, per se, but this one was pretty good.  The ending is terrific.

I know you don't go for the prison films, but this one is quite powerful.

You mentioned this as being a favorite of yours a while ago.  I'd always look for it on TCM and YouTube to no avail.  I finally tracked it down.  It's a fascinating film.  I don't know if Jackie has ever seen it, but she'd love it.

What did you find fascinating?

You mean Patterns, right?  I actually enjoyed Executive Suite.  I loved the cowardly panic.  Holden is once again superb.  He's been great in the films I have seen him in recently.  Well, except for Rachel and the Stranger.  That Paul Douglas sure does fool around a lot!

Yes, ha, Patterns---I get those two titles confused all the time!  There were so many of those "big business" movies in the 50s.  They often started out kind of tough and end up (in my opinion) copping out (compromising) by the end.

More agreement!  I enjoyed this one.  Gable is sensational in the film.  In fact, "Jeff Williams" is now one of my very favorite characters of his.

Wow, I'm surprised you thought Gable was sensational.  I thought he demonstrated his gift for comedy and more than held his own in this "genre", though he is thought of as an "action" sort of guy, or macho hero type.  I have to see it again, I have always liked it but my memory isn't clear on specifics.  Doesn't Joan slap him, ha?  She slapped a lot in her movies.

Look at you!  I would not have guessed this with you.  Once the "Tramp" gets to town, I really started to enjoy the film.

Why?  The Gold Rush is simply perfection to me. 

How in the world did we get to agreeing this much?  The film is a "beautiful people" addicition film that lacks real substance.  I did like Ava.  She actually plays a good girl in this one.

Most people find the movie a bit insipid.  Too much talk and not the kind I like.  Ava is quite good, though, and seldom played such serious characters.  Usually there is that wicked wise-cracking or self-mockery covering the serious.

It's a really interesting film noir.  I'm not crazy about "captive" films but this one puts a nice twist on it.  It's somewhat similar to Dial 1119 due to evolving sympathies.

And I love "captive" films.  It's not my favorite Garfield, though.  What did you like about it?

I-diot's Delight (1939)  What a strange film this is.  I was bothered by it more than I liked it.  I did love Burgess Meredith.  I've been liking Burgess a lot, lately.  It was interesting to see Gable playing this kind of character, but it's not one I like for him.  And Norma annoyed the heck out of me was once she went "Russian".  I found Edward Arnold's character to be quite interesting.

That's exactly the reaction I had when I first saw it.  I was very surprised at myself when I ended up liking it.

You couldn't finish it?  Wow!  I do think it's bad.  Who thinks of casting the super-passionate Richard Burton as an emotionless doctor?  Awful.  And they changed the ending from The Rains Came.  The ending is "who cares".

I think that ending is how the audience felt at the beginning of the movie.

And I don't see it being your kind of film.  But it is all that you say.  It's exceptional.  This is one Quiet Gal would love.

No, movies about the War in Europe and its devastation do not appeal to me.  But this one is exceptional especially for the time...the style feels like a 1960s movie.

And you are probably the only person who goes for that relationship more than Norma (Gloria Swanson).  I found the film to be sad, actually.  I really felt for Norma.  I didn't like Holden in this one.  He's on the cruel side.

I agree about Holden's character, another reason the movie keeps me at a distance.  Wilder could be terribly caustic.  He sometimes wallows in cynicism.

Tales of Manhattan - I fully expected to like the Rita (with Charles Boyer, for goodness sake!) and Ginger stories the most, but I didn't.  I liked the others more.  I especially like Eddie G's story.

I honestly don't remember the stories.

They Died with Their Boots On (1941)
I would have never guessed you liking this one.  I wasn't too crazy about it.  But I did like the love story with Errol and Olivia.  That was the best part of the film for me.

I don't like the movie as a whole, just the love story which is really exceptional considering Flynn's character isn't all that likeable.

Together Again (1944) I liked it!  Charles Boyer was marvelous and Charles Coburn is hilarious!  And I also went for Irene Dunne.  I thought it was very romantic.

It had an excellent cast and script but I didn't get into it.  I liked the story and Charles is always hilarious playing "cupid".  Maybe I wished it had been made a few years earlier.

Yellow Sky (1948)  Ha!  You won't like it anymore.  Shelley Winters playing a "tomboy" isn't your kind of picture.  It's another good Gregory Peck showing, though.

I don't remember much about Peck's character.  Movieman probably can talk more about this one.

Miss G:

After a little run through it may be that Internet Explorer works. I don't like it but if that is the one I have use from the office, so be it. (Normally I use Chrome with an XP system. They are not faring well.)

Miss G:

After a little run through it may be that Internet Explorer works. I don't like it but if that is the one I have use from the office, so be it. (Normally I use Chrome with an XP system. They are not faring well.)

I used Chrome briefly yesterday from the office (we now have Windows 7) and it was okay, so I guess it is the XP.  I never would have thought that would be an issue.  I hate that they "force" you to pay to upgrade systems.

I used Chrome briefly yesterday from the office (we now have Windows 7) and it was okay, so I guess it is the XP.  I never would have thought that would be an issue.  I hate that they "force" you to pay to upgrade systems.

I may have found a way around it. Well, more like stumbled on a way around it. So far it is working. It does ask me when I log on to reregister but I get rid of that easily enough. Here's hoping.

I may have found a way around it. Well, more like stumbled on a way around it. So far it is working. It does ask me when I log on to reregister but I get rid of that easily enough. Here's hoping.

good!  how is your head? :)

Hmm.. Trying an experiment:  

Frank Grimes asks: But what about your favorites?

To which rohanaka replies:  HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (and also.. NO!!!!!!!!!)   :P

Oh.. and ps: you left out your beloved FRANK from Once Upon a Time in the Blah Blah Blah! :D

Nope.. still doesn't let me copy and paste into the quote box.. ha.. but HEY.. it was worth a try. :)

Ro, I too have had difficulty figuring out the copy/paste function.  it doesn't let me just paste text from a previous post right in the text box...a pop up asks me to paste the data on the "clipboard" there first...which to me defeats the purpose of it being a quicker method.

• Like 1

Here is how I liked the films:

1. Blues in the Night (1941)

2. Sunset Blvd. (1950)

3. The Search (1948)

4. The Gold Rush (1925)

5. Yellow Sky (1948)

6. Counsellor at Law (1933)

7. Executive Suite (1954)

8. State of the Union (1948)

9. Born Yesterday (1950)

10. He Ran All the Way (1951)

11. Brute Force (1947)

12. Charlie Chan at Treasure Island (1939)

13. The Mayor of Hell (1933)

14. Forsaking All Others (1934)

15. Park Row (1952)

16. Together Again (1944)

17. Tales of Manhattan (1942)

18. The Undercover Man (1949)

19. The Lawless Breed (1953)

20. The Fearmakers (1958)

21. They Died with Their Boots On (1941)

22. Torchy Gets Her Man (1938)

23. The Great Sinner (1949)

24. Hotel Reserve (1944)

25. Johnny Apollo (1940)

26. Belle Starr (1941)

27. Two of a Kind (1951)

28. Band of Angels (1957)

29. Idiot's Delight (1939)

30. Julius Caesar (1953)

31. The Public Menace (1935)

32. Haunted Gold (1932)

33. Bad for Each Other (1953)

34. Maisie Gets Her Man (1942)

35. Destination Murder (1950)

36. The Invisible Menace (1938)

37. Three Wise Girls (1932)

38. The Animal Kingdom (1932)

39. The Rains of Ranchipur (1955)

40. Outpost in Morocco (1949)

Okay Jack, I never did get around to posting about this round of films from you. I know it's really late, but you don't have to answer it. I know you are right in the middle of chatting with everyone about everything. Heehee!

I'm NOT surprised at your liking for Sunset Blvd. Although, it's not my favorite film noir. Maybe it's because I always thought Gloria Swanson was just too overbearing in that role. And I know that she was somewhat suppose to be that way for her character, but she is just annoying to watch. And Gloria was also never a favorite for me in general. I do like the storyline, though, so that makes it worth watching for me.

Executive Suite has my Junie in it! You would never think her to go with Holden, it was always odd to me, but it worked even though their relationship wasn't solid. Who really captures my attention is Nina Foch. She. Was. Brilliant. I really liked how real this was for the time it came out. Stanwyck doesn't have a lot of screen time, which surprised me, but it really doesn't matter, because she radiates in the minor time she has with Holden. And of  course there's Walter...AAWWWW. Not my favorite kind of role for him, but he is always lovable no matter what role he plays....except for maybe in Forbidden Planet. Then it just gets Weird. Heehee!

Idiot's Delight. What can I say about this one? I normally will sit and watch any musical and absolutely LOVE most of them no matter what, but this one just baffled me with Gable's uncommon performance of "Puttin' on the Ritz." I wanna know who thought to make him sing and dance to that and why. I couldn't really get passed him in the movie at all, but I do like the movie as a whole. I just think he was miscast.

I'm also not surprised to find Julius Caesar so far down on the list. Heehee! It's interesting, isn't it? I absolutely love the scene where Greer freaks out, because she realizes what is going to happen to her husband. It's SO not like her and is a little outrageous, and I think that's why I like it so much. Heehee! Maybe I'm just strange.  I usually don't go for Marlon Brando, but I found him quite intriguing. I would never have chosen him for Marc Antony. I would've thought him to be a great Brutus, but I was proven wrong. His speech is golden and it made me a believer that I would like Brando more. I was never as fond of him as so many other people are, but then I'm not really attracted to the "bad boy" image that he portrays. He takes it to a whole new level.

As for Born Yesterday, I knew you would like this one. Do you like Judy Holliday? What did you like most about this one?

State of the Union I really love, because it's a Tracy/Hepburn flick. The story is really strong too! Lansbury plays a wonderfully wicked woman. Oh, she is so great at it! The politics really hit you in the face here, but I love how a lot of people say that the political references are dated. Of course they are dated. Any political movie will be dated just as soon as it's made. How silly. Heehee! The thing I really love about this film is the marital relationship between our leading players. It hits a BIG rough patch, but she supports him and straightens the view of his path along the way. The looks on her face, when Spencer is making his speeches that have become corrupted and run ragged say it all.

Blues in the Night and Two of a Kind are two films-noir on your list I really like. I like how Two of a Kind is like a little heist/hustle story. I was raised by a father who LOVES heist movies, so I have come to rather enjoy them immensely. :D

Now do you believe me!?

I love the line in "State of The Union" early on when they are looking at the White House and someone (Tracy?) says "it needs paint." It's a good mix of comedy and drama.

I love the line in "State of The Union" early on when they are looking at the White House and someone (Tracy?) says "it needs paint." It's a good mix of comedy and drama.

Oh I know! Tracy definitely had the ability to deliver a good funny line, but still be completely serious at the same time. I don't know how he pulled that off, but boy did he ever! I forgot he said that line!

Odds bodkins, I'm here.  How did I do that, lol?  Maria Schell has nothing on me because I'm laughing and crying (with joy) at the same time.

Now to figure out how to put up an avatar...

• Like 1

Odds bodkins, I'm here.  How did I do that, lol?  Maria Schell has nothing on me because I'm laughing and crying (with joy) at the same time.

Now to figure out how to put up an avatar...

YAAAAY!!!  As Edwin Carp would say, "Perserverance!" :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XK2ZkPMSf4

AVATARS:  Click on your user name in the upper right corner of the screen and a bunch of options should appear in a pop-up...click My Profile and it will take you to a screen where you can insert a pic for your avatar from your computer or a URL.