hlywdkjk

The Annual FrankGrimes Torture Thread

12,976 posts in this topic

Hi, Miss G.!  Merci!  Oh my goodness, I never saw that DVD episode, ha!

I've got a big problem uploading anything that doesn't have a "www" proceeding it, which makes finding and putting up a specific avatar darned near impossible right now.  For several weeks on my computer, I get "Problem Loading Page".

For instance, if I wanted to display Gene Tierney as Lucy Muir (the scene where she's asleep and the Captain is hovering over her to tell her it was all a dream -- I'm sobbing as I write this, lol) I'd have to write "www.GeneTierney.com" in the address line, or "www.RexHarrison.com" or "www.TheGhostandMrs.Muir.com", all of which of course don't exist.

I'm not going to use Lucy and Capt. Gregg as my avatar, but this is an example of what I mean.  I can't put -- and here's another one I won't use, but just to show you: "fish fountain from MON ONCLE", lol.  I'd have to write: "www.MonOncle.com" or maybe "www.JacquesTati.com".

Oy!

Hi, Miss G.!  Merci!  Oh my goodness, I never saw that DVD episode, ha!

I've got a big problem uploading anything that doesn't have a "www" proceeding it, which makes finding and putting up a specific avator darned near impossible right now.  For several weeks on my computer, I get "Problem Loading Page".

Can you do right-click on the picture and "save as" to your computer?  Then you can just upload it.

How do we edit our posts?

after you've posted, below your post you should see a button that says edit.  now i admit i've noticed it sometimes fades in and out in a ghostly way, lol.  DON'T know what that's about!  But if you have a sharp eye and quick click you can do it! :D

Can you do right-click on the picture and "save as" to your computer?  Then you can just upload it?

No, because I can't even GET a specific picture!

Twinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnie!!!! I am so happy to see your name!! (hope the whole process of getting started back up didn't startle you TOO much little darlin'!! )  Woo Hoo! Bronxie's in the house. :D

Ha.. Miss B, it took me a day or two myself to figure a few things out, (and I am still catching up on some of it)  

Hey.. Maybe we need the big guy to come in and clear a path for us! :D 

godzilla_zpsb883e104.png

• Like 1

Exactly, Goddess.  Either Server Not Found or Problem Loading Page.  See my post below, #9.  I'm so frustrated! 

Twinnie!  Yes. we need Godzy STAT! 

• Like 1

Does your thumbnail need trimming, or did you finally figure out the image posting?

hahahahaha, Patful, I had help, but yes, I DID finally get it figured out. (it appears to  have been a browser issue, who knew? ha) . 

Meanwhile.. re: the avatar.. that is NOT an airplane. :D

Those are gams, ma'ams. Kyle used to post them for me on a regular basis. Still couldn't find any of the originals, even on his Flickr page, so I made do with this one.

Ha, I am sure he would approve. :) 

I actually saved several of the images he posted on that Memorial Day thread.. just because they were so eye-poppin' awesome, ha. (though I don't believe I saved any "gam" images) ha. I mostly saved all the ones showing the different branches of the military and a few other assorted favorites.. but alas, nearly all of them are locked up on my PC (that is holding all my stored stuff hostage until I can figure out what is wrong with it, but that is another sad story for another day, bah!) :rolleyes:

I do have a couple of them stored on my laptop.. one Air Force one even, I think.. but no airplanes.  Will hope they can get the archived stuff up and running soon. (before Memorial Day.. wouldn't that be great?) I would love to peruse through all that treasure trove of stuff he has in there, just for the sake of enjoying it all over again.  

Yeah, right -- plopped down in my armchair with a giant mug of Taster's Choice (or, if I'm lucky, a glass of sangria) in one hand and a shovelful of nachos in the other as my eyes are glued to either TCM, Jewelry Television, or HGTV (even though they've gone disastrously downhill...)  It's not a pretty sight, lol.

Thank you, Chris!!

I'm not going to use Lucy and Capt. Gregg as my avatar, but this is an example of what I mean.  I can't put -- and here's another one I won't use, but just to show you: "fish fountain from MON ONCLE", lol.  I'd have to write: "www.MonOncle.com" or maybe "www.JacquesTati.com".

Oy!

Hi there, Barb! You won't use it but do I detect another Tati fan? That fish fountain is a howl, but so is the whole movie. Watch that movie and then go outdoors and look at any random, common object...it's very possible the object in question might seem to have something humorous about it, however vague. If so, you are looking at it through a Tati lens. He can do that.

Hi, matey!  Yes, I'm a Tati fan, particularly of MON ONCLE.   Where I live in Florida there's a lot to be amused about, lol.

B00005A8TU.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Hello Bronxgirl,

As a fellow Tati fan it's lovely to see the poster.  Funny, recently at a restaurant I saw this poster (a very large one!) on the wall by the booth of the owner, one Mr. Coppola (alas, not present).  You've inspired me to dig out my VHS copies of "Mon Oncle" (I covet that all mod cons house!) and "Playtime."

Hi, matey!  Yes, I'm a Tati fan, particularly of MON ONCLE.   Where I live in Florida there's a lot to be amused about, lol.

B00005A8TU.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Hi Barb, my heaven's what happened to all those wonderful adjectives? Love them. The poster is nice too. :)

Do you know the pic below?

mononcle.jpg

It's the last shot of MON ONCLE. Quite mundane looking at first glance, but the white diaphanous

window curtains (not too visible here) waving in the breeze makes it quite beautiful. If memory serves, this shot just

blacks out and the movie is over, no 'the end', no 'credits' no nothin'. Typical for Tati in a way, he was

so unique.

lafitte, thanks.  I think those words disappeared after I uploaded the poster.  Still trying to pokily navigate my way around on this brave new board, lol. 

Those closing moments of MON ONCLE are very poignant, as your photo with the lace curtains so beautifully illustrates.  I love the way Tati gently (but pointedly) juxtaposes the disorienting gleaming space-age sterility of creeping modernity with the slower-paced, "picturesque" (but not sentimentalized) rhythms/traditions of the village.

Good evening, Movieman -- That was Anne Baxter.

Oops!  My mistake, you are right.  I sometimes confuse Anne with Shelley.

As far as my computer troubles go I have been able to get back in. I just can't stay in. Every time I change a page I have to log in again. Also, if I hit the TCM Message Board heading in the thread I get an error page and have to come back into the web site. 

Is this still the case?  That's certainly not a good thing.  I don't know what would cause this, either.  Did you contact the administrator?

Howdy, Fordy Guns -- I think I get the picture...I would like to see it anyway, just for the cast.  Even though I'm not crazy about Heston he always makes me curious to watch his films to see if I might actually like him (because mostly I don't, except for Will Penny, Touch of Evil and The Big Country, where I liked him a lot).

Bad for Each Other is so doggone dry.  Heston and Liz's attraction to one another is exciting but it's merely temporary.  I have the film in a film noir collection but I certainly do not consider it film noir.

It is a triangle and with Randolph Scott and Dana Andrews I expected more sparks, but I actually did not care for it.

Randy is likable and Dana is a jerk until the end.  It was the ending that made the film barely passable for me.  The majority of the film is on the silly side.

Well, it combined two of Webb's passions: jazz music and crime. :D

Are you talking about Jack Webb?  Was he involved with Blues in the Night?

I know you don't go for the prison films, but this one is quite powerful.

I really enjoyed the ending to Brute Force.

What did you find fascinating?

The pacing for Counsellor at Law is breathtaking.  It really makes the film.  The transformation of George Simon (John Barrymore) is impressive.  How the film incorporates multiple storylines is tremendous.  It's a very unique film.

Yes, ha, Patterns---I get those two titles confused all the time!  There were so many of those "big business" movies in the 50s.  They often started out kind of tough and end up (in my opinion) copping out (compromising) by the end.

Yes, I can see that with Executive Suite.  The idealist is the one who wins out in the film.  That's a positive spin on the business world.  It's rarely that way.

Wow, I'm surprised you thought Gable was sensational.  I thought he demonstrated his gift for comedy and more than held his own in this "genre", though he is thought of as an "action" sort of guy, or macho hero type.  I have to see it again, I have always liked it but my memory isn't clear on specifics.  Doesn't Joan slap him, ha?  She slapped a lot in her movies.

I'm trying to remember if you, I mean, Joan slapped the King.  I'm sure she did.  I almost always like Gable in a comedic role.  He was at his best in Forsaking All Others.  Despite the presence of Joan Crawford and Robert Montgomery, it's his film, really.  Gable really yukked it up in the film, too.  He was on overdrive.  He was a treat to watch.

Why?  The Gold Rush is simply perfection to me. 

I never think of you liking silent films.  I know you love 3 Bad Men, but I'm not sure what else.

Most people find the movie a bit insipid.  Too much talk and not the kind I like.  Ava is quite good, though, and seldom played such serious characters.  Usually there is that wicked wise-cracking or self-mockery covering the serious.

That's right.  Ava starts off as a gambler living the lifestyle.  But she then turns the other way and she ends up becoming an angel.  I can't think of her playing such angels.

And I love "captive" films.  It's not my favorite Garfield, though.  What did you like about it?

You seem to like a group of strangers being held captive more so than families.  Am I right about that?  I know that's how I am.  I love the strangers held captive but a family being held hostage is less interesting to me.

I can see how you wouldn't go for this Garfield.  He's on the crazed side.  I see him as a wounded animal, though.  He's lacking the love of anyone, most especially his mother.  And that's why I liked the film.  The ending is wonderful.

That's exactly the reaction I had when I first saw it.  I was very surprised at myself when I ended up liking it.

I still cannot believe you like Idiot's Delight.  It must be solely due to Gable's being a song and dance man.

I think that ending is how the audience felt at the beginning of the movie.

Ha!  I cannot get over Richard Burton playing the Indian doctor.  Unbelievable.

No, movies about the War in Europe and its devastation do not appeal to me.  But this one is exceptional especially for the time...the style feels like a 1960s movie.

That's a good observation about The Search.  I've never seen Montgomery Clift play such a character, either.  I never picture him being "fatherly".  He's good.  I like Monty.

I agree about Holden's character, another reason the movie keeps me at a distance.  Wilder could be terribly caustic.  He sometimes wallows in cynicism.

You are most certainly right about Wilder's want to wallow in cynicism.  I mostly like that about him, but it does make him a cold director for many.  In Sunset Blvd., I give him credit for making me not like Joe (William Holden) and making me feel for Norma (Gloria Swanson).  I can't believe I ended up feeling lots of sadness with Norma.

I honestly don't remember the stories.

Edward G. Robinson's story in Tales of Manhattan has him, now a down-and-out bum, going to his college reunion where he has to face all of his former classmates and professor, all of which are great successes, particularly in comparison to him.  George Sanders is one of Robinson's classmates.  Charles Laughton's story has him as a classical conductor whose suit rips and tears in front of a dignified audience.  Elsa Lanchester, his wife, is the one who got him this "lucky" suit.  Those were my two favorite stories.

I don't like the movie as a whole, just the love story which is really exceptional considering Flynn's character isn't all that likeable.

But Flynn is always likable, so that made it easy for me to go for his Custer.

It had an excellent cast and script but I didn't get into it.  I liked the story and Charles is always hilarious playing "cupid".  Maybe I wished it had been made a few years earlier.

Are you saying you thought Charles Boyer and Irene Dunne were past their prime or just too old for you to fall for their comedic romance?  Since she was a widow, I thought it worked.

I don't remember much about Peck's character.  Movieman probably can talk more about this one.

This is another time where Peck plays a bad boy.  He's eventually confronted with being a straight shooter or siding with his fellow outlaws.  Richard Widmark plays the guy who pushes back with Peck.  Yellow Sky is a "tight quarters" kind of western.

Hola, Miss Hollywood -- Okay Jack, I never did get around to posting about this round of films from you. I know it's really late, but you don't have to answer it. I know you are right in the middle of chatting with everyone about everything. Heehee!

Oh, stop!  You're not late.  I'm the one who is late!

I'm NOT surprised at your liking for Sunset Blvd. Although, it's not my favorite film noir. Maybe it's because I always thought Gloria Swanson was just too overbearing in that role. And I know that she was somewhat suppose to be that way for her character, but she is just annoying to watch. And Gloria was also never a favorite for me in general. I do like the storyline, though, so that makes it worth watching for me.

I actually felt sorry for Norma (Gloria Swanson).  There's a lot of loneliness with her.  I found her delusions to be quite sad, too.

Executive Suite has my Junie in it! You would never think her to go with Holden, it was always odd to me, but it worked even though their relationship wasn't solid. 

She was great!  She played catch exceptionally well!

Who really captures my attention is Nina Foch. She. Was. Brilliant.

She was!  I liked Nina a lot.  She was my favorite woman in the film.  But I liked all of the women in the film, actually.

Stanwyck doesn't have a lot of screen time, which surprised me, but it really doesn't matter, because she radiates in the minor time she has with Holden.

I agree!  I was also very surprised to find out Barbara isn't in the film all that much.  But she's excellent when she's on screen.

And of  course there's Walter...AAWWWW. Not my favorite kind of role for him, but he is always lovable no matter what role he plays....except for maybe in Forbidden Planet. Then it just gets Weird. Heehee!

I haven't seen Forbidden Planet just yet.  But your Walter was a decent fella in this one.

Idiot's Delight. What can I say about this one? I normally will sit and watch any musical and absolutely LOVE most of them no matter what, but this one just baffled me with Gable's uncommon performance of "Puttin' on the Ritz." I wanna know who thought to make him sing and dance to that and why. I couldn't really get passed him in the movie at all, but I do like the movie as a whole. I just think he was miscast.

It's certainly odd casting.  I guess the whole idea of Gable playing this kind of character is part of the draw of the film.  And Gable didn't bother me in the film.  I mostly liked him.  It was Norma who was driving me crazy.

I'm also not surprised to find Julius Caesar so far down on the list. Heehee! It's interesting, isn't it?

It's my first "pure" Shakespeare film.  I'm not sure if I'm going to go for such films or not.  Maybe with more exposure I'll come to like it more.

I absolutely love the scene where Greer freaks out, because she realizes what is going to happen to her husband. It's SO not like her and is a little outrageous, and I think that's why I like it so much. Heehee! Maybe I'm just strange.

You are strange! :P  I was surprised to find out Greer wasn't in the film that much.

I usually don't go for Marlon Brando, but I found him quite intriguing. I would never have chosen him for Marc Antony. I would've thought him to be a great Brutus, but I was proven wrong. His speech is golden and it made me a believer that I would like Brando more. I was never as fond of him as so many other people are, but then I'm not really attracted to the "bad boy" image that he portrays. He takes it to a whole new level.

It really was a bold casting choice of having Brando play "Mark Antony".  And I thought he did quite well.  But I liked James Mason even more.  His demeanor really made "Brutus" an interesting man.  Antony seemed more grand and idealistic but Brutus and his motivations were quite interesting.

As for Born Yesterday, I knew you would like this one. Do you like Judy Holliday? What did you like most about this one?

It took me a little while to warm up to Judy, but I did end up liking her by film's end.  I loved her studying with her glasses on.  What I liked about the film was the love.  How Billie (Judy Holliday) wanted to gain the respect of Paul (William Holden) and how Paul loved her innocence.  Their relationship was the direct opposite of Billie's with Harry (Broderick Crawford).

State of the Union I really love, because it's a Tracy/Hepburn flick. The story is really strong too!

It's now my third favorite of Tracy & Hepburn's, trailing just Without Love and Desk Set.

Lansbury plays a wonderfully wicked woman. Oh, she is so great at it!

She's sensational!  Angela is such a good actress.

The politics really hit you in the face here, but I love how a lot of people say that the political references are dated. Of course they are dated. Any political movie will be dated just as soon as it's made. How silly. Heehee!

I actually don't think the politics are dated at all.  The film is about courting votes by kissing each voting bloc's collective fanny.  That is truer today than ever.  It's never about one's beliefs in politics, it's about convincing voters to believe in you.  It's all a dance.

The thing I really love about this film is the marital relationship between our leading players. It hits a BIG rough patch, but she supports him and straightens the view of his path along the way. The looks on her face, when Spencer is making his speeches that have become corrupted and run ragged say it all.

Very good!  I do like the relationship between Grant (Spencer Tracy) and Mary (Katharine Hepburn).  Kate is especially good in the film.  I like her a lot.  I liked your Van Johnson the very most in the film.  He's superb.

Blues in the Night and Two of a Kind are two films-noir on your list I really like. I like how Two of a Kind is like a little heist/hustle story. I was raised by a father who LOVES heist movies, so I have come to rather enjoy them immensely. :D

I'm sure your dad hasn't seen Two of a Kind!  The entire set-up to that film is quite strange.  Liz Scott is really interesting throughout, though.  But I didn't like how the film ends.  That's what dragged it down some, for me.

Now do you believe me!?

Of course not!