hlywdkjk

The Annual FrankGrimes Torture Thread

12,977 posts in this topic

Well HELLOO there little Island Girl! :) 

THE BAD SEED

What??? You mean to tell me he's never seen it??? Well by ALL means, he needs to watch that one for sure. I will even fix him a nice "little blue chair" to sit in. (or perhaps he'd rather lounge out on a lovely bed of excelsior!!) :D

Hey.. just for good measure, we can even offer him some pear juice too!! Because..  you know.. we DO want him to enjoy the film to the fullest. :D

• Like 1

At least now when I hear the term Island Girl I can think of April rather than that awful Elton John song. Thanks.

The awful song has been replaced by the awful girl! :P

Should we all contribute and make suggestions for Jackie's avatar or are you preferring to go "incognito", Miss Favell?  :D

???

I didn't even realize I could do an avatar over here!

It's so nice to hear from you too, Big Kahuna Island Girl Lady of the Tropics!

I can't possibly have Alan Marshal for my avatar... though I remember liking White Cliffs of Dover as a kid, Marshal is just too bland for me. I'm thinking George would be much more appropriate, or perhaps my other favorite rascal, STYMIE. :D

• Like 1

Well HELLOO there little Island Girl! :)

THE BAD SEED

What??? You mean to tell me he's never seen it??? Well by ALL means, he needs to watch that one for sure. I will even fix him a nice "little blue chair" to sit in. (or perhaps he'd rather lounge out on a lovely bed of excelsior!!) :D

Hey.. just for good measure, we can even offer him some pear juice too!! Because..  you know.. we DO want him to enjoy the film to the fullest. :D

Hahahaha!!  As a last resort, we can always sick the stick bloodhounds on him.

• Like 1

At least now when I hear the term Island Girl I can think of April rather than that awful Elton John song. Thanks.

The awful song has been replaced by the awful girl! :P

Yes, it's time for the stick bloodhounds!

• Like 1

it's time for the stick bloodhounds

HA! One stick blood hound coming right  up. (Just let me go get those shoes out of the incinerator first.. I;m pretty sure we can use THOSE too. ha. But we need to make sure the taps don't leave a mark this time) :D

• Like 1

Should we all contribute and make suggestions for Jackie's avatar or are you preferring to go "incognito", Miss Favell?  :D

???

I didn't even realize I could do an avatar over here!

It's so nice to hear from you too, Big Kahuna Island Girl Lady of the Tropics!

I can't possibly have Alan Marshal for my avatar... though I remember liking White Cliffs of Dover as a kid, Marshal is just too bland for me. I'm thinking George would be much more appropriate, or perhaps my other favorite rascal, STYMIE. :D

Just call me "Tandaleyo".

I like Ro's choice for your avatar:)

Ciao, Madame X -- Hot chick? Oh yeah, I do get overheated sometimes. :)

:D  You ain't the only chick I know who does!

Pinocchio is really really gorgeous, animation wise. It's kind of dark, in a sort of Grimm's fairy tales way. There are shadows and there's depth. It's just stunning looking, to me. Rich.

I just talked about the film with my friend last night and he said the same things.  He said Dumbo doesn't come close to it.

I know you do! Just call me Madame X.

That's perfect!

It is. But it's also a beautiful film. I just LOVE the rainstorm sequence. And Thumper and Flower.

And I have no recollection of that sequence.  I hope to catch it soon.

It'll make you think twice about whether the evil stepmother from Snow White was all that bad... I kind of have a fascination with children's stories about overcoming abuse. I think this movie is on some level about that, without being overt. Same with James and the Giant Peach which is a TERRIFIC movie with a very dark start.

More films to get to!  You just made Tangled one I really want to see.

OK. I saw Robin Hood on your list. I really love the representation of evil in Sleeping Beauty. Gave me nightmares as a very young kid. Though the animation isn't as good as some of the other movies, the IDEAS in the fight scene are very frightening. Malificent is so strong, so overpowering and magnetic that it really freaked me out when I was little. I still have a very strong memory of the cliff scene at the end.

That one is on the docket for me.  And since my brother likes it, I have pretty high expectations for it.  Your words only fortify my preconceptions.

No, I think Disney tried a little too hard to make the dwarves funny and cutesy. It's just overkill to me. Although I do like Bashful... 

That's my feeling on the dwarfs, as well.  I wish they were used intermittently versus all in one big chunk.  Ugh.

I think I must have watched Toy Story 50 or more times when Alice was little, including in the theater. If you can watch a movie that many times and still like it, there is something special about it.  It was as enjoyable to me as an adult as it was to Alice. Alice loved it so, intil one night she was sleeping with her Woody doll and his ring got stuck on something and he started talking in the middle of the night. Man, you never saw a kid so scared....Woody got the boot right out of the bed that night and never went back.

Poor Woody!  I believe Toy Story started the current incarnation of animated films, where the films now include adult humor and winks, making the films desirable to all ages.  It was definitely a groundbreaking film in many ways.

What I liked was how differently the townspeople were from most of the other westerns I'd seen. I also liked how withdrawn into himself Glenn Ford was, always trying to go it alone, expecting the worst.

You are right, the townsfolk are much different than in most westerns.  A flip of convention.  George (Glenn Ford) was attempting to live in two worlds, his wife's and his father's.  He had to conquer the ghost before he could truly live.

Ack! Lee Bowman! Ewww. I think you are right though. Both she and Melvyn are basically the same type - smart **** who like to put one over on the other person. It should work with them one-upping each other, but it doesn't. On the other hand, it isn't a horrible movie. Just a little disappointing with the caliber of most Myrna films. I will watch it when it's on, if there is nothing else available.  Maybe Myrna was starting to get involved in politics at this time and just didn't care as much.

I didn't know her politics were affecting her like that.  I mostly blame the script.  It seemed rather weak, to me.  For some reason, I didn't buy Melvyn Douglas as some guy headed to the simple life in Ohio.  Nor could I see Myrna chasing after him and such a life.  Geez, Myrna is Miss G!

Oh. Never heard of this one, or most of the Hammer noirs. I didn't even know Hammer MADE noirs.

I think you'd appreciate the Hammer films noir.  There is a charm to them.  Your guy Dane Clark is in quite a few of them.  Cash on Demand is actually included in a Hammer horror collection but I feel it's more crime than horror.  Peter Cushing is splendid.

Me too. It feels true. It isn't forced. And it's clear that there's love between them BOTH, it isn't all on Annie's side which is so frustrating. Something just gets in their way that we can still relate to now. Kind of like A Star is Born, it's always going to be relevant. Status/Work/ Power/ Love makes conflict. Annie Oakley is a buillseye all around for me. Great casting. I even like Preston Foster in it, which is saying a lot. There are only about 3 movies of his where I really like him and this is one of them. The supporting cast is PERFECT, a dream, especially Chief Thunderbird.  And they really got the wild west show feel completely right. In fact, I'd say Annie Oakley is one of my very favorite epic films.

Wonderfully expressed!  It can be very difficult for a man to accept being less than a woman when it comes to work and status.  The traditional societal view is always a tough force to fight.  Comparing Annie Oakley to A Star Is Born is very apt.  Nicely done!  The difference between the two is that Toby (Preston Foster) would give Annie (Barbara Stanwyck) the credit, knowing it was killing him.

Not to diss Union Pacific here, sorry I got carried away. Isn't it funny that at first we are like "Babs' accent is kind of wonky" but then, pretty much right after you totally forget because her acting is so good. I think this is one of her most charming roles...I love her as these waif types, the ones who are feisty and down to earth, but very loving. It's a great fit for her.

You hit on it, it's Barbara's feisty love that is always a great pull with me.  I like that she'll fight and tell a guy off, only to later figure out there is something about the guy that stirs her in a way she likes.  I definitely loved her love in Union Pacific.  I also liked the mix of serious and loose with Joel McCrea.  That's my kind of guy.

A film almost can't be bad when you have more than one villain - most of my favorite films have a bevy of them - Robin Hood would not be near as good if it was only Claude Rains, or only Basil Rathbone. Prisoner of Zenda is another with a slew of great villains. I like DEGREES of badness to choose from, myself. It's why I like The Devil Doll as well.

What a fascinating point!  I never thought of that!  I concur with you.  One of my favorite kind of film with Karloff is when he's been wronged and exacting revenge.  The horror western.  The Walking Dead is one of these films.

Dang it! I think what I saw was The Mark of the Vampire. I thought it was The Devil Bat because The Vampire Bat was on right before it and I got confused. I'll have to check out the Devil Bat. Does it have Evelyn Ankers in it? Queen of B Horror? 

No Evelyn.  But she would have fit!  The Devil Bat is good, cheesy horror fun from the early-40s.

I remember thinking this one was so romantic when I was a kid. I haven't seen it for a long long time. I just remember the motif of waves crashing. Yeah, I'd probably still go for it. It kind of reminds me of the Merle Oberon flick, Lydia, but maybe that's only because it has Alan Marshal too.

Is Lydia any good?

I unfortunately thought Gloria was not up to her usual standards. Her put-on accent was really getting on my nerves. The only thing I liked about her was that she was giving snively, whiny Richard Widmark what for.

Ha!  Gloria was going for the young loon to start!  That's Gloria's old tricks.  She rejects Boyer!  I got a kick out of that.

You can REALLY tell when Hedy is not interested in a movie. She gets this glacially bored look on her face. I think this is one of her better films. She really seems to care. Jimmy must have charmed her.

I never can tell with Hedy!  You know me, I like glacial.  Especially when the glacier looks like Hedy!  I'm sure Jimmy charmed her.  He charms me!

You too. I've missed you.

Awwww!  I have often thought someone telling me they miss me is second only to hearing they love me.  Sometimes, hearing "miss" is even stronger.  Thank you for saying that.  I greatly missed you, as well.  You are an important part of my life.

Howdy, Ma Stone -- Or should I say.. Mr. Contemporary.. ha. 

I hope not!

Great googly moogly, man. WHAT have you DONE to yourself. Ha. I hardly know  you. That is an amazing assortment. And I have to say I have not even HEARD of a couple of these.. so you are way out ahead of me in both watching classics AND contemporaries now. ha. 

Not with contemporary!  I really haven't seen that much.  And I'm not sure what happened to me.  Although, I'm happy to say, I have been finding my classic mojo again.

Of the ones I have seen that are on your list, I could only guess how you liked some of them. But if I HAD to guess.. I think you liked the "quirky" ones better than the sweet. ha. Maybe. (because agh.. ParaNorman.. though I haven't seen it.. very quirky, I imagine, but I can't picture it being very good.. ha. (though we did used to crack up when they showed commercials for it, about the kid throwing the hummus.. ha. It's spicy" HA!) 

You wouldn't like ParaNorman.  What I liked about it was that it was very "80's".  It has a "Goonies" appeal.

Bolt (2008)

Finding Nemo (2003)
Frozen (2013)
The Lego Movie (2014)
Monsters, Inc. (2001)
Monsters University (2013)
Up (2009)

You did quite well!

As for the ones you'd rate lower.. I don't think you would have liked How to Train Your Dragon (much), Beauty and the Beast, or the Little Mermaid. but ha.. I freely confess.. I am just so bowled over by the fact that you WATCHED them all that I have no idea what to think. :D

You were right about The Little Mermaid.  I wasn't crazy about that one.

And I have never seen (and a few I have never even heard of) any of these..  

Brave (2012)
The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (2005)
The Darjeeling Limited (2007)
Eternal Sunshine on the Spotless Mind (2004)

Good Will Hunting (1997)
The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)
Hotel Transylvania (2012)

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004)

Little Miss Sunshine (2006)
Lost in Translation (2003)
Once (2006)
Out of Africa (1985)
ParaNorman (2012)
Ratatouille (2007)
Robin Hood (1973)

I'd say only Brave and Robin Hood would have a chance of you liking them.  I can't see you going for any of the non-animated films.  Good Will Hunting would be the closest, but the vulgarity level is a little too high.

But based only on what I know about the story.. rather than first hand knowledge.. You MIGHT have also liked Good Will Hunting, Out of Africa, but I can't say for sure.. ha..  because, again.. I have never seen them. (So it's a total shot in the dark for those two)  

I liked them both, but I prefer Out of Africa.  It's a tortured romance kind of film.  I love those.

So  wowsa.. you are always full of surprises, Mr. Movie-watching-man. I will have to stay on the edge of my seat to find out about how you liked all these.. but hey.. that's ME.. I like to live on the edge)

:D

Wowsa!!! Now that is a surprise! Ha.. or should I say.. it's "Awesome" (because everything IS,  you know. ha) :D

It certainly is!

My favorites are Vitruvius (he got most of the best lines.. "All this is true.. because it rhymes" HA! and I also love GoodCop/BadCop. (we go around  here all the time, doing our best "Liam Neeson" "TOO Bad") ha.

I love Good Cop/Bad Cop!  One of the best characters in the film.  Vitruvius is also funny.  Morgan's voice is so melodious.

And I have to confess.. I saw the movie trailer for this when we were at the theater to watch something else and I literally laughed out loud. ha (with the bit about Batmobile AND Wonder Woman's invisible jet") TOO funny. ha.  I don't think they could have crammed one more thing into that film, but oh my goodness. they sure did try. But despite what it might sound like (when trying to describe it to someone else, ha) it WORKS. There is not one thing about this film that was disappointing. Very funny. (for kids and grownups alike) and the ending w/ "The Man Upstairs" was terrific. 

The ending got me to tear up.  It made the film even better to me.  The film is mostly non-stop until the end.  Tons of action and humor.

(And now  you know the kidling's and my newest obsession. ha.. looking up all our "favorites" to see if they have made a HISE episode out of it.. too silly.. but still pretty fun). :D

Y'all are crazy!

It really is something wonderful, isn't it? And aside from just being a great movie (and the fun memories I have of watching w/ the kidling) I have already told you about the little boy I used to work with and the ties I have to him with this movie.. so yeah.. ha. Bring on the kleenex every time I watch it.. but it is worth it all. (and it's another favorite for us to go about quoting.. ha. There are so many favorites I can't even begin to list them.. but a lot of them are either from Russel ("There's no tigers in South America.. Zoology!") and Dug ("I have just met you , and I love you")  And I am with you.. Kevin is very endearing. Very emotional in a subtle way..  you don't expect it..and then there it is.. the first time you hear those babies crying. 

The Kevin scenes are emotionally tough for me.  Who knew!  I liked Muntz (Christopher Plummer) and how he turned out to be.  The danger in the film was pretty good.  It added a lot of excitement to the great emotion.

I have seen a portion of a W. And G movie.. not this one.. but I think if I recall it was about a penguin who was running from the law??? I don't recall too much other than it was funny. (Wallace was so obtuse.. ha. And poor Gromit kept trying to catch the penguin) I don't think I saw more than half of it.. it was one of those situations where it was being shown in a classroom where I was working and I had to leave before it was over.. ha. Just my luck) I should try to find it and watch.. if only to see how it ended! And golly.. if you liked W&G that much, I may need to check into the Were-Rabbit now too.  

I watched the Wallace & Gromit shorts after seeing the film and I enjoyed them very much.  I'm pretty sure you would like the shorts and characters.  The first one is the one you referenced.  They are only a half-hour long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17Q2qtozj8U

The film has some naughty innuendo but it's not dirty.  It's great fun.  I think you'd enjoy it.  I can see your daughter liking Wallace & Gromit, for sure.

A very sweet and funny movie for sure.. just as you say. I still remember taking my youngest stepson and my 4 nieces and nephews (at the time I only had 4) to see this when it first came out at the theater.  And then after the kidling was born, we had to buy it.. and she has loved it for YEARS and years.  I still remember thinking how amazing it was that they could actually make a big green eyeball look like Billy Crystal. ha. But they DID. And this film in another that we quote from around here all the time.. if someone leaves a sock on the floor.. the first person to see it will yell "23-19!" ha! (but thank goodness.. we don't shave anyone) :D  The kidling really was excited when they came out with Monsters U.. but I am with you.. it didn't stand out as much for me. I probably liked it a bit better than you did.. but it was missing a lot (if you compare it to the first one) 

I just couldn't get into the "Revenge of the Nerds" kind of story with Monsters University.  I liked the friendship angle with Mike and Sulley, but all of the other stuff just didn't captivate me.  Monsters, Inc. pretty much has it all.  It's a wonderful film.

Wow.. I got one right.. ha. But I am surprised you rated it this high (only because for whatever reason I just couldn't get into it as well.. ha. But hey.. that alone should have been an indicator for me that you WOULD rate it higher. ha) I did like it well enough though. (the hamster is my favorite) 

I really liked the relationship between Bolt and Mittens.  Lots of back and forth.  Eventually, it all registers with Bolt and Mittens starts to come around, too.  It's lovely.  I like that they both cared about one another despite being different.

Now you got me on this one. I don't know why, but i didn't think  you would go for this one as much as you did. I am glad you like it. This was another one of those movies that I had pretty low expectations for and then was pleasantly surprised. And I am with the kidling on Toothless.. he is one of my all time favorite movie dragons. They did such a great job of animating him that  you know just what he is thinking every moment of the story. I love that he has a "voice" even though he doesn't speak. If you  like this one, then I  do recommend the sequel. It is different in some respects.. but still very good. It has a LOT stronger themes in it though.. I mentioned earlier.. it was almost too much for the kidling.. but then after it was over, she loved it. If  you were "teary" at the end of the first one.. have twice as many kleenex on had for the second. ha.  

Oh, no!  I'll be wrecked with the sequel!  If anyone has had a pet, especially a dog, you'll relate to the relationship between Hiccup and Toothless. I love how they looked out for one another.  It's very much "a boy and his dog".  I'm an animal lover, so this film struck that chord with me.

He ABSOLUTELY makes the whole movie for me. ha.The song, "Be Our Guest" is my favorite part of the entire movie. I never knew this was "Lenny Briscoe" from Law and Order (my only other more favorite role for him)  until years later.. I was shocked.   And I DO like Gaston too (as in.. Iike to see him get what's coming to him, ha) As Disney bad guys go.. he's right up there. Loud, arrogant, selfish, and just plain mean.. a bully from start to finish. The kidling and I love to change the words to the song.. No one STINKS like Gaston. ha. :D

But I'm Gaston!  Oh, wait.  Now I get it. :P

He's one of those guys you just love to hate.

I sure am!

Well based on how you rated it, you still like it better than I did. And I can tell you why I didn't like it.. ha. But it would only be one of those things that makes sense to me. :D  I did find some parts of it enjoyable.. just not one that I really was bowled over by. 

If you care to explain, please do.  I was definitely surprised by my liking Finding Nemo less than others.  My brother and friend both like it quite a bit.  Most women and girls that I know love it.

I am just so surprised  you not only saw this film.. but you  LIKED it. ha. Way cool (no pun intended!!) :D  And I LIKE that you like Kristoff. ha. I remember sitting in the theater when we saw this for the first time and when you see Kristoff and Sven (the very first time after they are grown up) I was AFRAID that Sven was going to be a talking reindeer.. and I was all prepared to roll my eyes.. and then when I realized what was REALLY happening.. ha. I loved it.

Ha!  You and your eye-rolling!  I was worried it was going to be too over-the-top with girl power and I would be puking.  But it wasn't that.  The film is much better than I'd expected.

And to be honest.. I did not have much hope for THIS movie either.. all because of the previews.  I thought Olaf was the DOOFIEST looking thing I ever saw.. ha. But he ended  up being my most favorite character of the whole thing. I l-o-v-e LOVE him, ha. (his song is my favorite in the entire movie)  

I'm not as crazy about Olaf.  He's okay with me.  Most everyone loves him, though.

FROZEN SPOILER

I really like the "twist" ending. (HUGE SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!! Stop reading now if you have never seen this movie.. no really.. ha. I MEAN It!)   :D  I had NO idea about the bad guy.. at all. I NEVER saw him coming. For a Disney to hide the bad guy THAT well was a real feat. You ALWAYS know who they are in Disney films.. it's obvious to anyone. You spend the whole movie hating them and waiting for them to be defeated.  But not in THIS film.. very, very unexpected. 

And I hated that!  It was far too easy of an out with the film.  But hey, it's Disney.  I can't expect hard decisions to be shown.

Well Hello Gaston, :D

I'm happy to say, I have been finding my classic mojo again.

Now THIS sounds more like the Frank Grimes we know and love (to torture) :P

Still I have to give you a lot of points on just expanding your horizons so much lately. I give you credit because I know that you DO sometimes like your specific comfort zones. ha. (I remember once you told me you were only interested in seeing movies from the 30's.. see how FAR (so very far) you have come from there.

You wouldn't like ParaNorman.  What I liked about it was that it was very "80's".  It has a "Goonies" appeal.

I googled it, just for kicks. and read a plot summary on it (on wikipedia) ha.. I can tell you for SURE I would most likely not enjoy it. ha. Having said that. I did love the Goonies.

Y'all are crazy!

THAT'S putting it mildly. ha. (what was  your first clue??) :D

The danger in the film was pretty good.  It added a lot of excitement to the great emotion.

It really was intense (albeit absurd, ha) from the thunderstorm early on in the story.. to the menacing way Muntz starts to get suspicious and knock those helmets around.. to the airplane Dog Fight (ha.. literally) It really was a nail biter there a few times.  

I also loved the opening scenes when Ellie is a little girl and they first meet. Oh my golly. That little girl was just so well written. (ha.. It's like America.. but SOUTH!) She's hilarious! (and so his he, for that matter) Our favorite part is when she shows him her dream picture of Paradise falls and says she RIPPED that page right out of a library book) ha. So funny.. and yet so endearing. And then as they grow older together.. agh.. don't get me started. 

I watched the Wallace & Gromit shorts after seeing the film and I enjoyed them very much.  I'm pretty sure you would like the shorts and characters.  The first one is the one you referenced.  They are only a half-hour long.

The pants!! I remember them now. ha. thanks for posting those.. I bet you are right.. the kidling will really enjoy them (me too!) 

Oh, no!  I'll be wrecked with the sequel!  If anyone has had a pet, especially a dog, you'll relate to the relationship between Hiccup and Toothless. I love how they looked out for one another.  It's very much "a boy and his dog".  I'm an animal lover, so this film struck that chord with me.

That's a GREAT way to describe it.. and you still get that feeling in the sequel too.. but there is more as well. It's also a lot about family.. and other stuff. I don't want to give too much away.. but agh.. it is very emotionally intense in places. 

But I'm Gaston!  Oh, wait.  Now I get it

Ha.. not yet.. but it's coming.. about the last four minutes of the movie or so. :D

f you care to explain, please do.  I was definitely surprised by my liking Finding Nemo less than others.  My brother and friend both like it quite a bit.  Most women and girls that I know love it.

Well. again... it would probably only make sense to me, but it was sort of a double whammy. PART of it has to do with my youngest stepson and some of the issues we had to deal with for him. (too much emotion and water under the bridge to go there) but ANOTHER aspect that I really get turned off by is the way that the little girl is portrayed.. in the dentist office. This has a lot to do with the reason I don't like Wall-E either. I really have a hard time with the commentary that is being made about how much more "human" the creatures (and/or robots.. whatever) are versus the actual HUMANS in the story. They make too many "sweeping" commentaries sometimes in movies like that.. but I do confess that it has been a LONG time since I saw either of those two movies.. but that is what I am remembering most about both of them. (and that is saying a lot, especially for Finding Nemo because if I recall there really ISN"T much to do with humans in that story.. but for whatever reason.. the bit with the little girl (and how horrid she is) is the part I remember most. 

ugh.. she really was horrid. 

There are probably some other things I could say for Nemo (about why I didn't enjoy it as much) if I could remember more. but the issues w/ the father/son conflict (being too hard to watch) and the issues with the little girl (being too horrid) are the two things that I can say for sure kept me from liking it much. 

See.. I told you it would only make sense to me. :D ha! 

Ha!  You and your eye-rolling!  I was worried it was going to be too over-the-top with girl power and I would be puking.  But it wasn't that.  The film is much better than I'd expected

HA! And if it had been as you thought.. I would have been right there beside  you puking too! ha. :D

As it was.. it really was a nice mix of "girl power" and just the power of love. But not TOO "girl power" ha. More "SISTER" power I guess.  

I like that Anna never gave  up on loving her.. even after all those years of being shut out (and not knowing why) Poor Elsa.. I crack up when I think of that "how it should have ended" clip I posted.. but her parents really DID make some very big mistakes. I wonder if they had lived if they would have seen it happening and stopped her from being so shut off from everyone. That "Let it Go" song to me was just heartbreaking. To see her finally "letting go" and yet.. really just giving in and imprisoning herself worse than before.. all at the same time. As a mother. it broke my heart. 

And ha.. as a SIDE note.. I can tell you that while I love the song.. and it is PERFECT for the movie itself.. for that moment in the movie.. it has ALSO become the "anthem" for just about every preteen and teenage girl I know (and I know dozens.. because of our scouting ministry at church) and AGH!! Taken out of context.. if you sing that song.. and they almost all do.. it sounds like the MOST belligerent and disrespectful nonsense ever to be spouted out of the mouth of any child.. ever. HA! :D

It makes me bristle.. a bit, because they are singing it without even REALIZING how it sounds coming out. (if you take it out of context) I don't say too  much.. because I don't really THINK most of them are thinking that way (more likely they are thinking they are ELSA) ha. But still.. oh me. I will be glad when THAT phase is over for most of them. Fortunately the kidling seems to enjoy singing "For the First Time in Forever" and Olaf's "Summer" song more.. ha. (but every now and then.. she'll belt out "Let it go.. let it go" and oh me.. the eye rolling will commence. :D

And I hated that!  It was far too easy of an out with the film.  But hey, it's Disney.  I can't expect hard decisions to be shown.

He DID seem to get off a bit easy.. compared to say.. GASTON!! ha. :D

(and hey.. even to Muntz.. and the Wicked Stepmother/Queen in Snow White.. etc, etc)

But overall.. I was just so bowled over by being FOOLED. I have never seen that done in a Disney before. I may have overlooked one.. or just not have seen one where that was the case.. but they are very "open" about revealing the villian.. because they are usually so much FUN in the story. This was very "non-traditional" spin on Disney villainy.. maybe they are entering a new era for bad guys now, or something. 

OR.. it could have been the fact that when this was first written.. ELSA was the villain. (I read on this a while back) They originally had her much different... but when the song writers sat down to write the Let it Go song.. it actually CHANGED the way they looked at her character and she (and the story) got a complete overahaul. So it MAY be that this is why the "bad guy" was so subtle.. maybe he was only originally supposed to be a side character... or he was added later as an after thought once they rewrote the story. Whatever happened.. it worked for me. 

Edited by rohanaka

22. Robin Hood (1973) -- I found this film to be fun but not that emotionally deep.  I certainly liked the playful confidence of Robin Hood Fox (Brian Bedford).  I also liked the comedy of Little John (Phil Harris).  They are the highlights for me.

I am sorry that you did not find this more entertaining.

It does not have great emotional depth but it is in this way similar to other movies of its ilk. I believe that the same could be said of: The Sword in the Stone (1963), The AristoCats (1970) and Lady and the Tramp (1955).

I feel that casting Terry-Thomas as: Sir Hiss was a stroke of genius. It is nearly type-casting as he does snake-in-the-grass roles so very well. He was strikingly similar characters in: Those Daring Young Men in Their Jaunty Jalopies (1969).and Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines (1965).

vlcsnap-2014-11-12-09h40m08s21.png

vlcsnap-2014-11-12-09h38m20s228.png

vlcsnap-2014-11-12-09h38m11s135.png

I can't decide if I like the self-satisfied Jack or the mock-confiding Jack or the quizzical, supercilious Jack. Right now it's a toss up between self-satisfied and mock-confiding.

stymie500-1.jpg

stymie-mushand.jpg

I have the same problem with Stymie. One of these two.

P1qwK0p.jpg

This one is just perfect! Great choice, Sansfin.I'm very close to picking it....

Curse-Cat-People-Carter.png

This one though, just grabbed my heart.

Frank? Any suggestions before I decide?

• Like 1

I am sorry that you did not find this more entertaining.

It does not have great emotional depth but it is in this way similar to other movies of its ilk. I believe that the same could be said of: The Sword in the Stone (1963), The AristoCats (1970) and Lady and the Tramp (1955).

I feel that casting Terry-Thomas as: Sir Hiss was a stroke of genius. It is nearly type-casting as he does snake-in-the-grass roles so very well. He was strikingly similar characters in: Those Daring Young Men in Their Jaunty Jalopies (1969).and Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines (1965).

I remember I just loved the jauntiness of Brian Bedford's Robin Hood. Once again, you and I are on the same wavelength. You are so right about Terry Thomas, he's a great villain. That goes along with what we were talking about before - gradations of villainy. I so much like laughable villains - for instance, Jack Lemmon and Peter Falk in The Great Race (again very similar to the Magnificent and Daring Men movies). And Melville Cooper in Robin Hood is such a fool that you can't help but laugh at him. Or the sublimely ridiculous Charlie Chaplin, Jack Oakie and Henry Daniell in The Great Dictator... these kinds of villains not only make you laugh, but they make you think about the nature of evil... just when you think someone is at the bottom of the barrel, you find someone worse standing right behind him. For instance, in Prisoner of Zenda, who is the more dangerous? Raymond Massey as cold Prince Michael, or the kill-happy, do-anything-for-a-thrill Douglas Fairbanks, Jr? Hard for me to say.

I think there is something to be said about the relaxed nature of those particular Disney films you've mentioned. Sometimes this is what you want from a movie, not a WOW, that was spectacular, but instead just a good enjoyable time. A film that makes you laugh and leaves you smiling. And all three of the DIsney films you mentioned are that in spades.

WOO! Jackie, I am on the edge of my seat! ha. This is so exciting to see what you will pick! I bet the Grey Dude has a wild card he's going to throw in before it's all over. ha. :D ( I have two ideas already of what he might vote for and neither of them are even pictured yet.. ha. I almost picked one of them myself before I went with the option I chose. So I am going to wait and see if I am right) 

Meanwhile.. if you decide to stick with one of the three "Jack's" I pick Jack #1 for sure.. that's him all over! :D

Whatever you pick I know it's going to be terrific, little darlin'! :) 

Pinocchio is really really gorgeous, animation wise. It's kind of dark, in a sort of Grimm's fairy tales way. There are shadows and there's depth. It's just stunning looking, to me. Rich.

I just talked about the film with my friend last night and he said the same things.  He said Dumbo doesn't come close to it.

It really doesn't. I don't think there is a more beautiful animated film... except for maybe parts of Bambi.

It is. But it's also a beautiful film. I just LOVE the rainstorm sequence. And Thumper and Flower.

And I have no recollection of that sequence.  I hope to catch it soon.

I hope you do! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it.

It'll make you think twice about whether the evil stepmother from Snow White was all that bad... I kind of have a fascination with children's stories about overcoming abuse. I think this movie is on some level about that, without being overt. Same with James and the Giant Peach which is a TERRIFIC movie with a very dark start.

More films to get to!  You just made Tangled one I really want to see.

I thought Tangled was pretty great. But I'd really like to know your opinion of James and the Giant Peach. Not a Disney film, but an early and quite fascinating Tim Burton film, I believe. It's a favorite of mine. When Alice was in nursery school, we decorated her school bag with pictures of all James' insect friends. I still have it somewhere.

I really love the representation of evil in Sleeping Beauty. Gave me nightmares as a very young kid. Though the animation isn't as good as some of the other movies, the IDEAS in the fight scene are very frightening. Malificent is so strong, so overpowering and magnetic that it really freaked me out when I was little. I still have a very strong memory of the cliff scene at the end.

That one is on the docket for me.  And since my brother likes it, I have pretty high expectations for it.  Your words only fortify my preconceptions.

It happened to be on the other night so I watched it again. I got bored in the middle section, but the beginning and end are really quite good. While the animation itself is not up to the others you've been watching, I felt that the design of the film is still quite beautiful and interesting.

No, I think Disney tried a little too hard to make the dwarves funny and cutesy. It's just overkill to me. Although I do like Bashful... 

That's my feeling on the dwarfs, as well.  I wish they were used intermittently versus all in one big chunk.  Ugh.

Exactly! Have them come in and out through the whole movie, not that one extended section that just goes on and on... I didn't like the stupid way they were portrayed it borders on manic to me.  Maybe this is a time period thing - like watching some late twenties, early thirties films where the comedy just seems kind of creepy to me. I very much try to put myself into the time frame of the movie I am watching, but here, ugh. I just don't like the dwarves seeming so.... and this is very un-PC of me to say.... they border on having mental issues in my eyes.  And I don't find that funny.

I think I must have watched Toy Story 50 or more times when Alice was little, including in the theater. If you can watch a movie that many times and still like it, there is something special about it.  It was as enjoyable to me as an adult as it was to Alice. Alice loved it so, intil one night she was sleeping with her Woody doll and his ring got stuck on something and he started talking in the middle of the night. Man, you never saw a kid so scared....Woody got the boot right out of the bed that night and never went back.

Poor Woody!  I believe Toy Story started the current incarnation of animated films, where the films now include adult humor and winks, making the films desirable to all ages.  It was definitely a groundbreaking film in many ways.

I agree, though Warner Brothers and the muppets were doing that way back. Still, it had been a long dry spell for cartoons before Toy Story came out. I love it still. And I felt bad for Woody doll too! She started taking Buzz to bed after that. Almost mirrored the movie! :D

What I liked was how differently the townspeople were from most of the other westerns I'd seen. I also liked how withdrawn into himself Glenn Ford was, always trying to go it alone, expecting the worst.

You are right, the townsfolk are much different than in most westerns.  A flip of convention.  George (Glenn Ford) was attempting to live in two worlds, his wife's and his father's.  He had to conquer the ghost before he could truly live.

That's terrific. And don't we all? A British friend of mine said that the voice in your head is yor dad's.... the voice in your heart is your mom's. I don't know if I agree or not.

Ack! Lee Bowman! Ewww. I think you are right though. Both she and Melvyn are basically the same type - smart **** who like to put one over on the other person. It should work with them one-upping each other, but it doesn't. On the other hand, it isn't a horrible movie. Just a little disappointing with the caliber of most Myrna films. I will watch it when it's on, if there is nothing else available.  Maybe Myrna was starting to get involved in politics at this time and just didn't care as much.

I didn't know her politics were affecting her like that.  I mostly blame the script.  It seemed rather weak, to me.  For some reason, I didn't buy Melvyn Douglas as some guy headed to the simple life in Ohio.  Nor could I see Myrna chasing after him and such a life.  Geez, Myrna is Miss G!

Now, now...

I guess you are right about the script... something about the movie seemed tired and a bit cliche, It's a good film if you aren't too picky, or just want something easy to watch.  But it felt a little forced? I don't think Myrna would have let her other interests interfere with her acting. She was very much into the war effort later on. Both she and Douglas became very political.

Oh. Never heard of this one, or most of the Hammer noirs. I didn't even know Hammer MADE noirs.

I think you'd appreciate the Hammer films noir.  There is a charm to them.  Your guy Dane Clark is in quite a few of them.  Cash on Demand is actually included in a Hammer horror collection but I feel it's more crime than horror.  Peter Cushing is splendid.

as usual.

Me too. It feels true. It isn't forced. And it's clear that there's love between them BOTH, it isn't all on Annie's side which is so frustrating. Something just gets in their way that we can still relate to now. Kind of like A Star is Born, it's always going to be relevant. Status/Work/ Power/ Love makes conflict. Annie Oakley is a buillseye all around for me. Great casting. I even like Preston Foster in it, which is saying a lot. There are only about 3 movies of his where I really like him and this is one of them. The supporting cast is PERFECT, a dream, especially Chief Thunderbird.  And they really got the wild west show feel completely right. In fact, I'd say Annie Oakley is one of my very favorite epic films.

Wonderfully expressed!  It can be very difficult for a man to accept being less than a woman when it comes to work and status.  The traditional societal view is always a tough force to fight.  Comparing Annie Oakley to A Star Is Born is very apt.  Nicely done!  The difference between the two is that Toby (Preston Foster) would give Annie (Barbara Stanwyck) the credit, knowing it was killing him.

Yes, there was a whole other mean spirited "Hollywood" dynamic going on in A Star is Born. Toby is not as complex as Norman. They both have hearts to be broken, but I'd say Toby was the nicer of the two, if I had to say at all. Toby was more gentlemanly. Both were heading for a "comeuppance". You have to pay the dues when you are cocky and arrogant, at least in the movies. What I like best about Annie Oakley is that the character is SUCH a good fit for Stanwyck. It's darn near a perfect film. One I can watch over and over, and never get bored. And man, the lighting, the staging and the actors really make you feel like you are in the past.

Not to diss Union Pacific here, sorry I got carried away. Isn't it funny that at first we are like "Babs' accent is kind of wonky" but then, pretty much right after you totally forget because her acting is so good. I think this is one of her most charming roles...I love her as these waif types, the ones who are feisty and down to earth, but very loving. It's a great fit for her.

You hit on it, it's Barbara's feisty love that is always a great pull with me.  I like that she'll fight and tell a guy off, only to later figure out there is something about the guy that stirs her in a way she likes.  I definitely loved her love in Union Pacific.  I also liked the mix of serious and loose with Joel McCrea.  That's my kind of guy.

Joel is just this big galoot, really he doesn't get near the appreciation of other actors because he's so dang relaxed! Pretty much right from the start of his career he's just so natural. In Union Pacific, it's kind of funny, trying to see who is the better natured one - Joel or Robert Preston! Preston's a bit of a rat here, but they are both so likable and smooth generally speaking that I enjoy seeing them go up against each other. I always get the idea that Joel doesn't take too much seriously, so people underestimate him. You are right though, when Joel gets serious, you better look out.

A film almost can't be bad when you have more than one villain - most of my favorite films have a bevy of them - Robin Hood would not be near as good if it was only Claude Rains, or only Basil Rathbone. Prisoner of Zenda is another with a slew of great villains. I like DEGREES of badness to choose from, myself. It's why I like The Devil Doll as well.

What a fascinating point!  I never thought of that!  I concur with you.  One of my favorite kind of film with Karloff is when he's been wronged and exacting revenge.  The horror western.  The Walking Dead is one of these films.

Oh that's terrific! The horror western. The wronged victim stalking the bad men. Like most of Randy Scott's westerns. The Walking Dead is like Karloff's Stagecoach!

Dang it! I think what I saw was The Mark of the Vampire. I thought it was The Devil Bat because The Vampire Bat was on right before it and I got confused. I'll have to check out the Devil Bat. Does it have Evelyn Ankers in it? Queen of B Horror? 

No Evelyn.  But she would have fit!  The Devil Bat is good, cheesy horror fun from the early-40s.

Sometimes there is nothing better than cheesy fun from the 40's! I think that's why you like the Chan movies so much too. They incorporate some of the horror genre as I recall.

I remember thinking this one was so romantic when I was a kid. I haven't seen it for a long long time. I just remember the motif of waves crashing. Yeah, I'd probably still go for it. It kind of reminds me of the Merle Oberon flick, Lydia, but maybe that's only because it has Alan Marshal too.

Is Lydia any good?

I like it, though the first time I saw it I was disappointed in the ending. I don't know if you would like it... I personally think it's quite good now I am used to the end. Merle Oberon has several suitors throughout her life. It's a catalogue of them, basically - Joseph Cotten, Alan Marshal (who is actually quite interesting here), George Reeves. It's pretty genial, but it has some darkish moments.  I think you might like it better than some other of those episodic romantic dramas. I think you'd appreciate Lydia's love and choices.

I unfortunately thought Gloria was not up to her usual standards. Her put-on accent was really getting on my nerves. The only thing I liked about her was that she was giving snively, whiny Richard Widmark what for.

Ha!  Gloria was going for the young loon to start!  That's Gloria's old tricks.  She rejects Boyer!  I got a kick out of that.

The fool! 

You can REALLY tell when Hedy is not interested in a movie. She gets this glacially bored look on her face. I think this is one of her better films. She really seems to care. Jimmy must have charmed her.

I never can tell with Hedy!  You know me, I like glacial.  Especially when the glacier looks like Hedy!  I'm sure Jimmy charmed her.  He charms me!

I guess it IS hard to tell with Hedy. I have deluded myself that I can tell... she enjoyed making the movies I like! :D

You too. I've missed you.

Awwww!  I have often thought someone telling me they miss me is second only to hearing they love me.  Sometimes, hearing "miss" is even stronger.  Thank you for saying that.  I greatly missed you, as well.  You are an important part of my life.

Mine too, my friend. My friend.

I like them all!  I say use them all at different times.  I personally love Amy.  That's my favorite.  Irena is always a great choice to me.  And I'm with you on "Mr. Self-Satisfied".  That's a good one.  Where do you get such descriptions?!  And Stymie is sweet.

WOO! Jackie, I am on the edge of my seat! ha. This is so exciting to see what you will pick! I bet the Grey Dude has a wild card he's going to throw in before it's all over. ha. :D ( I have two ideas already of what he might vote for and neither of them are even pictured yet.. ha. I almost picked one of them myself before I went with the option I chose. So I am going to wait and see if I am right) 

Meanwhile.. if you decide to stick with one of the three "Jack's" I pick Jack #1 for sure.. that's him all over! :D

Whatever you pick I know it's going to be terrific, little darlin'! :)

I am glad I could be the bearer of such suspense! You are cracking me up.

Now I am in suspense, to find out what the other two you thought of are!

OK, so if not Ann Carter, then smug Jack. Ha! :D :D

Well.. ha. was expecting the Grey Dude to chime in more specifically.. but he didn't toss that wild card option out there like I thought he would (oh that Grey Dude. he's always keeping me guessing what he'll do next, HA!) 

I figured he'd pick either something like this one  

http://www.parallax-view.us/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/gun_crazy1.jpg

OR  that he'd go with some variety of your beloved Wagon Master..  like this one: http://www.mardecortesbaja.com/WagonMasterDruGlanceBaja.JPG

(and this second idea was the other one that I almost picked myself.. but then I went w/ The Curse of the Cat People one instead) 

Ha.. then I am the one who is glad to be bringing you a smile! :D

Well.. ha. was expecting the Grey Dude to chime in more specifically.. but he didn't toss that wild card option out there like I thought he would (oh that Grey Dude. he's always keeping me guessing what he'll do next, HA!)

I love your choices for me!  I was thinking Wagon Master.  I also know her love of Ben Johnson and Joseph Calleia.  I'd love to see Sabu.  He's one of my favorites thanks to Jackie.

I like them all!  I say use them all at different times.  I personally love Amy.  That's my favorite.  Irena is always a great choice to me.  And I'm with you on "Mr. Self-Satisfied".  That's a good one.  Where do you get such descriptions?!  And Stymie is sweet.

Yeah, Amy got me too.

I'm glad to know that I CAN use all of them eventually. Right now for me, it's between Amy and Irena.

I have an animated gif of Stymie sitting on a turntable going round and round, but that would drive everyone nuts. It makes me laugh when I look at it though. :D

I figured he'd pick either something like this one  

http://www.parallax-view.us/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/gun_crazy1.jpg

OR  that he'd go with some variety of your beloved Wagon Master..  like this one: http://www.mardecortesbaja.com/WagonMasterDruGlanceBaja.JPG

(and this second idea was the other one that I almost picked myself.. but then I went w/ The Curse of the Cat People one instead) 

Ha.. then I am the one who is glad to be bringing you a smile! :D

Oh! Those are great! Darn this website. When I come on, sometimes the top two replies don't post right away... so I didn't see this back and forth before. I love Denver just a little better than Annie Laurie Starr, but it's close!

love your choices for me!  I was thinking Wagon Master.  I also know her love of Ben Johnson and Joseph Calleia.  I'd love to see Sabu.  He's one of my favorites thanks to Jackie.

Oh man, this is making me feel guilt for the ones I am cutting. Do you think anyone would get upset if I came back as 12 different screen names?

Yeah, probably not a good idea. Hahahahahahahahahahaha! :D :D :D