hlywdkjk

The Annual FrankGrimes Torture Thread

12,977 posts in this topic

That goes along with what we were talking about before - gradations of villainy. I so much like laughable villains - for instance, Jack Lemmon and Peter Falk in The Great Race (again very similar to the Magnificent and Daring Men movies). And Melville Cooper in Robin Hood is such a fool that you can't help but laugh at him. 

Alec Guinness does these roles also very well. The Lavender Hill Mob (1951), The Ladykillers (1955) and Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949). 

I feel that villainy can be quite ambiguous. I remember well the comment in analysis for: The Apartment (1960) which lists the sins of the main characters and then asks: "Who are you supposed to root for?"

George Sanders' villainy in: Rebecca (1940) would seem substantial in any other movie but it is overshadowed as Judith Anderson pegs out the depth-of-evil meter.

I understand that you have many choices for avatar. I will "help" further by a new suggestion:

eLh6g7d.jpg

Hey there, Piecemaker -- Now THIS sounds more like the Frank Grimes we know and love (to torture) :P

Ha!  I seem to be back on track.  Once I watch two more films, I will be posting another list of 40 films.  I wanted to post just 20!

Still I have to give you a lot of points on just expanding your horizons so much lately. I give you credit because I know that you DO sometimes like your specific comfort zones. ha. (I remember once you told me you were only interested in seeing movies from the 30's.. see how FAR (so very far) you have come from there.

You keep confusing me with someone else!  I think it's Molo.  He loved the 30s.  In fact, I'd say the majority of those on this board would select the 30s as their favorite decade for film.  I like the 40s and 50s.  I still do.  The 30s just doesn't connect with me like the 40s and 50s.  And I definitely prefer post-WWII.  Again, this places me in the minority on the board.

I googled it, just for kicks. and read a plot summary on it (on wikipedia) ha.. I can tell you for SURE I would most likely not enjoy it. ha. Having said that. I did love the Goonies.

The feel is very "Goonies" with ParaNorman.  The film is about accepting differences but it's done in a confused 80s way.

It really was intense (albeit absurd, ha) from the thunderstorm early on in the story.. to the menacing way Muntz starts to get suspicious and knock those helmets around.. to the airplane Dog Fight (ha.. literally) It really was a nail biter there a few times.  

There is a bit of darkness with Up.  It surprised me.  It really added to the strong emotion, which is why I ended up loving the film.

I also loved the opening scenes when Ellie is a little girl and they first meet. Oh my golly. That little girl was just so well written. (ha.. It's like America.. but SOUTH!) She's hilarious! (and so his he, for that matter) Our favorite part is when she shows him her dream picture of Paradise falls and says she RIPPED that page right out of a library book) ha. So funny.. and yet so endearing. And then as they grow older together.. agh.. don't get me started. 

It's all gorgeous.  He was a shy and not-so-confident boy/man and she encourages and supports him throughout.  You could see how much he loved and needed her.  Hence the emotional wreckage!

The pants!! I remember them now. ha. thanks for posting those.. I bet you are right.. the kidling will really enjoy them (me too!) 

Since you both like dogs, I think you'll love Gromit.  I know I do!

That's a GREAT way to describe it.. and you still get that feeling in the sequel too.. but there is more as well. It's also a lot about family.. and other stuff. I don't want to give too much away.. but agh.. it is very emotionally intense in places. 

At least you are bracing me for the emotional trouble. :)

Well. again... it would probably only make sense to me, but it was sort of a double whammy. PART of it has to do with my youngest stepson and some of the issues we had to deal with for him. (too much emotion and water under the bridge to go there) but ANOTHER aspect that I really get turned off by is the way that the little girl is portrayed.. in the dentist office. This has a lot to do with the reason I don't like Wall-E either. I really have a hard time with the commentary that is being made about how much more "human" the creatures (and/or robots.. whatever) are versus the actual HUMANS in the story. They make too many "sweeping" commentaries sometimes in movies like that.. but I do confess that it has been a LONG time since I saw either of those two movies.. but that is what I am remembering most about both of them. (and that is saying a lot, especially for Finding Nemo because if I recall there really ISN"T much to do with humans in that story.. but for whatever reason.. the bit with the little girl (and how horrid she is) is the part I remember most. 

I don't think there is a sweeping commentary with Finding Nemo and the little girl.  I think she's a stand alone kind of character.  She's simply a threat to those in the fish bowl.  In Wall-E, there is commentary on our society becoming fat and lazy, being slaves to our electronic devices.  I agree with that one.  And I'm one of these guilty slaves.

As it was.. it really was a nice mix of "girl power" and just the power of love. But not TOO "girl power" ha. More "SISTER" power I guess.

That's correct.  It makes for a lovely end.

I like that Anna never gave  up on loving her.. even after all those years of being shut out (and not knowing why) Poor Elsa.. I crack up when I think of that "how it should have ended" clip I posted.. but her parents really DID make some very big mistakes. I wonder if they had lived if they would have seen it happening and stopped her from being so shut off from everyone. That "Let it Go" song to me was just heartbreaking. To see her finally "letting go" and yet.. really just giving in and imprisoning herself worse than before.. all at the same time. As a mother. it broke my heart. 

My brother gets upset over the stupidity of the parents solving the problem by banishing their own daughter.  Such great parenting!  He was especially bothered by the mother not saying a darn thing.  His criticisms are valid.  Of course, there are many relationships where the mother is silent and submissive.

And ha.. as a SIDE note.. I can tell you that while I love the song.. and it is PERFECT for the movie itself.. for that moment in the movie.. it has ALSO become the "anthem" for just about every preteen and teenage girl I know (and I know dozens.. because of our scouting ministry at church) and AGH!! Taken out of context.. if you sing that song.. and they almost all do.. it sounds like the MOST belligerent and disrespectful nonsense ever to be spouted out of the mouth of any child.. ever. HA! :D

I completely agree.  I heard the song before I saw it in context with the film.  It sounded too vain and self-righteous.  Within context, it works.  But I do think the song is a woman's anthem of doing whatever she wishes to do.  To many, that is frightening. :D

It makes me bristle.. a bit, because they are singing it without even REALIZING how it sounds coming out. (if you take it out of context) I don't say too  much.. because I don't really THINK most of them are thinking that way (more likely they are thinking they are ELSA) ha. But still.. oh me. I will be glad when THAT phase is over for most of them. Fortunately the kidling seems to enjoy singing "For the First Time in Forever" and Olaf's "Summer" song more.. ha. (but every now and then.. she'll belt out "Let it go.. let it go" and oh me.. the eye rolling will commence. :D

The fear of parental control being lost!  I think we all reach that point in our life.  Some turn really bad.  Others do minor rebellions.  I'm a minor rebellion type.  Although my thinking is terribly rebellious. :D

But overall.. I was just so bowled over by being FOOLED. I have never seen that done in a Disney before. I may have overlooked one.. or just not have seen one where that was the case.. but they are very "open" about revealing the villian.. because they are usually so much FUN in the story. This was very "non-traditional" spin on Disney villainy.. maybe they are entering a new era for bad guys now, or something. 

Oh, no, no, no.  I didn't explain myself well enough.  I really dislike the turn in Frozen.  I think it made it much too easy.  I wish Anna had to face a real decision.  But instead, the decision is made for her and us.  Blah!  But it's Disney.  I should never expect tough decisions to be made.  It's about happy princess endings, after all.

OR.. it could have been the fact that when this was first written.. ELSA was the villain. (I read on this a while back) They originally had her much different... but when the song writers sat down to write the Let it Go song.. it actually CHANGED the way they looked at her character and she (and the story) got a complete overahaul. So it MAY be that this is why the "bad guy" was so subtle.. maybe he was only originally supposed to be a side character... or he was added later as an after thought once they rewrote the story. Whatever happened.. it worked for me.

I would have greatly preferred Elsa as the villain!  That would have really pushed the film over the top.  The ending would have been even stronger if that were the case.

It really doesn't. I don't think there is a more beautiful animated film... except for maybe parts of Bambi.

That's high praise for both Pinocchio and Bambi.

I thought Tangled was pretty great. But I'd really like to know your opinion of James and the Giant Peach. Not a Disney film, but an early and quite fascinating Tim Burton film, I believe. It's a favorite of mine. When Alice was in nursery school, we decorated her school bag with pictures of all James' insect friends. I still have it somewhere.

I'm afraid I'm at the mercy of my sister-in-law with having that film and something tells me she doesn't.  She's Disney.  But I will find out.

It happened to be on the other night so I watched it again. I got bored in the middle section, but the beginning and end are really quite good. While the animation itself is not up to the others you've been watching, I felt that the design of the film is still quite beautiful and interesting.

I'm very curious to see Sleeping Beauty.  It's the one princess film that is drawing me in the most.

Exactly! Have them come in and out through the whole movie, not that one extended section that just goes on and on... I didn't like the stupid way they were portrayed it borders on manic to me.  Maybe this is a time period thing - like watching some late twenties, early thirties films where the comedy just seems kind of creepy to me. I very much try to put myself into the time frame of the movie I am watching, but here, ugh. I just don't like the dwarves seeming so.... and this is very un-PC of me to say.... they border on having mental issues in my eyes.  And I don't find that funny.

Now you made me laugh!  For me, the dwarfs are just "too much".  Too cute and on screen for too long.  If I could escape them for a while, I would be handle them more.  But I'm stuck with them forever!  Bring in the evil Queen!  Save me!

I agree, though Warner Brothers and the muppets were doing that way back. Still, it had been a long dry spell for cartoons before Toy Story came out. I love it still. And I felt bad for Woody doll too! She started taking Buzz to bed after that. Almost mirrored the movie! :D

Excellent point!  You are right, The Muppet Show and their subsequent films were a good mix for the grown-ups and kids to both enjoy.  I loved them.  Still do.

That's terrific. And don't we all? A British friend of mine said that the voice in your head is yor dad's.... the voice in your heart is your mom's. I don't know if I agree or not.

I think in the traditional days of the past, that was probably true.  I know it's far less true today.  I'm a product of divorce and my dad is much more loving and caring than my mom.  I also think women have a much stronger voice in the home today than in the past.  In more and more households, it's the woman who wears the pants.  I see it all the time.

Yes, there was a whole other mean spirited "Hollywood" dynamic going on in A Star is Born. Toby is not as complex as Norman. They both have hearts to be broken, but I'd say Toby was the nicer of the two, if I had to say at all. Toby was more gentlemanly. Both were heading for a "comeuppance". You have to pay the dues when you are cocky and arrogant, at least in the movies.

At first, Toby was threatened by Annie and her being a better shot than he.  He then fell in love with her and he would want her to have the glory she deserved.  But he didn't want her to know what happened to him.  He knew she'd worry about him.  I think I'm remembering this correctly.  It's been a few months since I watched it.  I like the ending to the film.

annieoakley1_zpsdc289fbe.jpg

What I like best about Annie Oakley is that the character is SUCH a good fit for Stanwyck. It's darn near a perfect film. One I can watch over and over, and never get bored. And man, the lighting, the staging and the actors really make you feel like you are in the past.

I didn't know you liked the film that much.  That's great!  It definitely surprised me.  I wasn't expecting to like it.

Joel is just this big galoot, really he doesn't get near the appreciation of other actors because he's so dang relaxed! Pretty much right from the start of his career he's just so natural.

That's great!  It's true!  Joel is very "non-threatening".  He's rather warm and pleasing.  I believe what hurts him is that he wasn't in one defining film that was serious.  The revered films he starred in are comedies.  His career path is quite similar to Randolph Scott's.  This makes their pairing in Ride the High Country genius.  And I'd say Joel had the more memorable career because of those Preston Sturges comedies and his Hitch appearance.  I feel Randy's westerns are better because of his pairing with Budd Boetticher.

In Union Pacific, it's kind of funny, trying to see who is the better natured one - Joel or Robert Preston! Preston's a bit of a rat here, but they are both so likable and smooth generally speaking that I enjoy seeing them go up against each other. I always get the idea that Joel doesn't take too much seriously, so people underestimate him. You are right though, when Joel gets serious, you better look out.

Your analysis is right on point.  Joel's manner is so easy-going that he can be underestimated in serious roles and situations.  But that sometimes works in his favor.  Robert Preston really is a rat in Union Pacific.  But he's the kind of rat Quiet Gal likes because of where he goes.

unionpacific1_zpsca9b2e01.jpg

Oh that's terrific! The horror western. The wronged victim stalking the bad men. Like most of Randy Scott's westerns. The Walking Dead is like Karloff's Stagecoach!

Or it's his Seven Men from Now.

Sometimes there is nothing better than cheesy fun from the 40's! I think that's why you like the Chan movies so much too. They incorporate some of the horror genre as I recall.

You are exactly right.  They are mysteries with some horror and comedy mixed in.  Very "Scooby Doo". :)

I like it, though the first time I saw it I was disappointed in the ending. I don't know if you would like it... I personally think it's quite good now I am used to the end. Merle Oberon has several suitors throughout her life. It's a catalogue of them, basically - Joseph Cotten, Alan Marshal (who is actually quite interesting here), George Reeves. It's pretty genial, but it has some darkish moments.  I think you might like it better than some other of those episodic romantic dramas. I think you'd appreciate Lydia's love and choices.

The multiple suitors interests me a lot.  I usually like those kind of films.

Ha!  Gloria was going for the young loon to start!  That's Gloria's old tricks.  She rejects Boyer!  I got a kick out of that.

The fool! 

Hilarious!  I can't say that Gloria always makes the best decisions. :D

I guess it IS hard to tell with Hedy. I have deluded myself that I can tell... she enjoyed making the movies I like! :D

Stick with the delusions!  You are usually right.

Mine too, my friend. My friend.

curseofthecatpeople1_zpsa1b8faea.jpg

I am sorry that you did not find this more entertaining.

I did find Robin Hood to be entertaining.  It's a very fun film.  I tend to value emotional impact more unless I'm completely entertained by a film.

It does not have great emotional depth but it is in this way similar to other movies of its ilk. I believe that the same could be said of: The Sword in the Stone (1963), The AristoCats (1970) and Lady and the Tramp (1955).

I haven't seen the first two, but what separates Lady and the Tramp from Robin Hood for me is the romance.  In terms of fun and humor, I prefer Robin Hood.

I feel that casting Terry-Thomas as: Sir Hiss was a stroke of genius. It is nearly type-casting as he does snake-in-the-grass roles so very well. He was strikingly similar characters in: Those Daring Young Men in Their Jaunty Jalopies (1969).and Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines (1965).

He really is excellent in the film.  There's a creepy seriousness to him that counter-balances the blind buffoonery of Kind Richard (Peter Ustinov).

By the way, I loved your analysis of comedic villainy.  I thought that was brilliant.  I just started watching Alec Guinness in the past two years and I find him to be magnificent.

HELLOOO Mr. Grey: 

Once I watch two more films, I will be posting another list of 40 films.  I wanted to post just 20!

Ha.. movies are your "Lays Potato Chips"  you can't watch just one.. or TWENTY! :D

Since you both like dogs, I think you'll love Gromit.  I know I do!

We are already officially Wallace and Gromit-aholics. ha. We watched The Wrong Pants the other night.. and that one is officially our "favorite" now. She also liked the one where they went to the moon to get cheese. (oh me, ha)  We are trying to watch all the other "shorts" we can find on youtube.. I saw that The Curse of the Were-Rabbit is on youtube, but that is a pretty long one. So far we've just had enough time for her to watch a short one a few nights last week.. as a "before bedtime" treat. ha. Will have to see if we can block out enough time to do a big long stretch.. but not likely. Maybe will have to watch the were-rabbit in "spurts" ha.. but I am thinking if we start.. we won't WANT to stop. :D

I don't think there is a sweeping commentary with Finding Nemo and the little girl.  I think she's a stand alone kind of character.

Oh no.. you are right. I should have worded more carefully... because yes.. Wall-E is the one making that "sweeping" commentary (in a huge.. oh so huge.. and utterly offensive way.. at least to me) ha. But UGH.. that little girl in Nemo just REALLY put me off.. I think my bigger issue with that movie was the other stuff I mentioned.. the little girl just sort of put a cap on me not liking it at all. 

My brother gets upset over the stupidity of the parents solving the problem by banishing their own daughter.  Such great parenting!  He was especially bothered by the mother not saying a darn thing.  His criticisms are valid.  Of course, there are many relationships where the mother is silent and submissive.

This part of the story actually sparked a very good discussion with the kidling. Because I asked HER what she thought of the parents' decision.. and she really struggled with her answer. (because she does respect the concept of "parental authority" and she really doesn't like to see kids being disrespectful to their parents... so she was sort of on the fence as to how to answer me.. ha. (it was actually very sweet) But I could TELL she wanted to say something about how she disagreed with them.. so I let her off the hook because I took the opportunity to remind her that mamas and daddies are not perfect. We do the best we can but we make mistakes all the time because we are human. But if we LOVE our kids.. we try our best to FIX those mistakes as soon as we see them and do better. And I said we may never KNOW how Elsa would have ended up if her parents had been able to be there to SEE what was happening to her as she continued to grow up.. but their decision really did set off a chain of events. And it all ended in that whole "Let it go" moment because Elsa had been held back so long, she completely "rebelled" at last. She literally had to "let it go" because she couldn't "hold it back anymore".  

Her parents were afraid for her safety and for the safety of others too. They worried that other people would be so afraid OF her they might hurt her.. and they were afraid that she'd hurt someone else again too.. so they did what they thought was best both for her and to protect everyone else too.. and it was done out of love. But still it was a mistake and they did the wrong thing. They made a HORRIBLE choice.. and I like to think (because I truly believe they did it for good) they would have realized how wrong they were as they saw how it was hurting her over time and they'd have done something to correct it and to help her help herself. Maybe then she would not have had the big "let it go"  MOMENT that she did.. but ha.. then we would have had a WHOLE other movie, wouldn't we?? :D

I completely agree.  I heard the song before I saw it in context with the film.  It sounded too vain and self-righteous.  Within context, it works.  But I do think the song is a woman's anthem of doing whatever she wishes to do.  To many, that is frightening. :D

The fear of parental control being lost!  I think we all reach that point in our life.  Some turn really bad.  Others do minor rebellions.  I'm a minor rebellion type.  Although my thinking is terribly rebellious

I think we ALL reach and age where we want to have our independence. It's not wrong and and is actually a GOOD thing if done with respect (toward the authority we are seeking to become more independent from) Eventually.. we all grow up and move on from our parents and their supervision over us (agh.. the piercing of every mother's heart.. and yet every mother's hearts desire.. if she truly loves her child.. again I say.. agh!!)   :)

And ps:  I also think a "little" rebellion now and then can be a good thing (sometimes) because if handled properly.. it can either  A) teach you to understand how to stand up for yourself (so long as you can control your own behavior responsibly and respectfully while you do it) or B ) it will teach you how easy it is to WRECK your life if you don't learn how to control your own behavior.

Both are valuable lessons.. one is harder than the other to clean up after, though.

What I am NEVER for is all out fit-pitching. I have no use, time or patience for the "I just want my own way because I am selfish and I don't care what others think" sort of rebellion. That to me is both very self destructive to the one who rebels.. and very hurtful and disrespectful to the one being rebelled against (and can also hurt "innocent" bystanders too.. it's never a good choice.

So.. getting back to that song.. if taken out of context.. to me it sounds like all-out fit-pitching.. ha. very off-putting if you don't have the right context of the story to go with it. 

But maybe that 's just me. :D

I would have greatly preferred Elsa as the villain!  

And NOW.. you have just broken the hearts of MILLIONS of little girls all over the world in that one single sentence.. Great job, Mr. Black Hat. HA!   :D

OH.. and PS: Regarding Union Pacific:

Jackie says: Union Pacific, it's kind of funny, trying to see who is the better natured one - Joel or Robert Preston! Preston's a bit of a rat here, but they are both so likable and smooth generally speaking that I enjoy seeing them go up against each other. I always get the idea that Joel doesn't take too much seriously, so people underestimate him. You are right though, when Joel gets serious, you better look out.

The Grey Dude replies: Your analysis is right on point.  Joel's manner is so easy-going that he can be underestimated in serious roles and situations.  But that sometimes works in his favor.  Robert Preston really is a rat in Union Pacific.  But he's the kind of rat Quiet Gal likes because of where he goes.

And Rohanaka exclaims; AGH!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish (oh how I wish) I could find the vhs tape I made of this film.. or could find a copy elsewhere. You guys are really making me wish I could see it all again.. it has been so many years but you BOTH are saying exactly what I remember (as for my feelings toward Preston and McCrea!)

Silly me and my poor tape recording skills.. (Meanwhile; Videotaping Tip of the Day:  when one makes a tape of a movie.. one should always remember to LABEL the stupid tape if one wants to FIND the stupid tape years later when people are talking about the movie on the TCM message board.)  

May  I just  add.. Bah!   :D

Ha.. movies are your "Lays Potato Chips"  you can't watch just one.. or TWENTY! :D

Pretty much!

We are already officially Wallace and Gromit-aholics. ha. We watched The Wrong Pants the other night.. and that one is officially our "favorite" now. She also liked the one where they went to the moon to get cheese. (oh me, ha)  We are trying to watch all the other "shorts" we can find on youtube.. I saw that The Curse of the Were-Rabbit is on youtube, but that is a pretty long one. So far we've just had enough time for her to watch a short one a few nights last week.. as a "before bedtime" treat. ha. Will have to see if we can block out enough time to do a big long stretch.. but not likely. Maybe will have to watch the were-rabbit in "spurts" ha.. but I am thinking if we start.. we won't WANT to stop. :D

That's terrific!  I'm glad you both like Wallace & Gromit. They are silly fun.  Gromit's expressions are hilarious.  You have watched the three half-hour shorts that I have seen, it sounds like.  I also watched the ten mini-shorts in "Cracking Contraptions".

I would put time aside to watch the film.  I think you'll both like it a lot.

This part of the story actually sparked a very good discussion with the kidling. Because I asked HER what she thought of the parents' decision.. and she really struggled with her answer. (because she does respect the concept of "parental authority" and she really doesn't like to see kids being disrespectful to their parents... so she was sort of on the fence as to how to answer me.. ha. (it was actually very sweet) But I could TELL she wanted to say something about how she disagreed with them.. so I let her off the hook because I took the opportunity to remind her that mamas and daddies are not perfect. We do the best we can but we make mistakes all the time because we are human. But if we LOVE our kids.. we try our best to FIX those mistakes as soon as we see them and do better. And I said we may never KNOW how Elsa would have ended up if her parents had been able to be there to SEE what was happening to her as she continued to grow up.. but their decision really did set off a chain of events. And it all ended in that whole "Let it go" moment because Elsa had been held back so long, she completely "rebelled" at last. She literally had to "let it go" because she couldn't "hold it back anymore".  

Wow!  What a fascinating discussion that must have been.  I liked that you could tell she was struggling with the decision of the parents.

Her parents were afraid for her safety and for the safety of others too. They worried that other people would be so afraid OF her they might hurt her.. and they were afraid that she'd hurt someone else again too.. so they did what they thought was best both for her and to protect everyone else too.. and it was done out of love. But still it was a mistake and they did the wrong thing. They made a HORRIBLE choice.. and I like to think (because I truly believe they did it for good) they would have realized how wrong they were as they saw how it was hurting her over time and they'd have done something to correct it and to help her help herself. Maybe then she would not have had the big "let it go" MOMENT that she did.. but ha.. then we would have had a WHOLE other movie, wouldn't we?? :D

I definitely understand their worry of people getting hurt, but banishment?  That's a harsh one.  But it's Disney.

I think we ALL reach and age where we want to have our independence. It's not wrong and and is actually a GOOD thing if done with respect (toward the authority we are seeking to become more independent from) Eventually.. we all grow up and move on from our parents and their supervision over us (agh.. the piercing of every mother's heart.. and yet every mother's hearts desire.. if she truly loves her child.. again I say.. agh!!)   :)

And ps:  I also think a "little" rebellion now and then can be a good thing (sometimes) because if handled properly.. it can either  A) teach you to understand how to stand up for yourself (so long as you can control your own behavior responsibly and respectfully while you do it) or B ) it will teach you how easy it is to WRECK your life if you don't learn how to control your own behavior.

Both are valuable lessons.. one is harder than the other to clean up after, though.

What I am NEVER for is all out fit-pitching. I have no use, time or patience for the "I just want my own way because I am selfish and I don't care what others think" sort of rebellion. That to me is both very self destructive to the one who rebels.. and very hurtful and disrespectful to the one being rebelled against (and can also hurt "innocent" bystanders too.. it's never a good choice.

So.. getting back to that song.. if taken out of context.. to me it sounds like all-out fit-pitching.. ha. very off-putting if you don't have the right context of the story to go with it. 

But maybe that 's just me. :D

I agree with you with all of that.  I do believe independent thought is important.  It's how it's done, as you say, that is the key.  We are agreeing too much!

And NOW.. you have just broken the hearts of MILLIONS of little girls all over the world in that one single sentence.. Great job, Mr. Black Hat. HA!   :D

I have a reputation to uphold!

And Rohanaka exclaims; AGH!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish (oh how I wish) I could find the vhs tape I made of this film.. or could find a copy elsewhere. You guys are really making me wish I could see it all again.. it has been so many years but you BOTH are saying exactly what I remember (as for my feelings toward Preston and McCrea!)

Silly me and my poor tape recording skills.. (Meanwhile; Videotaping Tip of the Day:  when one makes a tape of a movie.. one should always remember to LABEL the stupid tape if one wants to FIND the stupid tape years later when people are talking about the movie on the TCM message board.)  

May  I just  add.. Bah!

:D  Don't worry.  We are soon moving to your film.  And I know others enjoy it, as well.

I am sorry that you did not find this more entertaining.

I did find Robin Hood to be entertaining.  It's a very fun film.  I tend to value emotional impact more unless I'm completely entertained by a film.

I am sorry that I misinterpreted your analysis. I believed that your ranking it number twenty-two in a list of twenty-five which placed it long after several movies which I consider absolute snoozers indicated that you did not enjoy it greatly.

I was forced to make choice between buying DVD of: The Sword in the Stone (1963) or DVD of: Robin Hood (1973) at closing-out sale of local video store because I did not have money with me to buy both. I choose: The Sword in the Stone (1963). It is sad to say: Robin Hood (1973) DVD was gone when I returned the next day to purchase it. This disappointment has led to slight enhancement of my opinion of good qualities of the movie.

I just started watching Alec Guinness in the past two years and I find him to be magnificent.

I feel that his range is exceptional! He can be lovable or loathsome. He can be ingenious or indolent. I know of few other actors who acquit so well in roles of high drama and in roles of broad comedy.

I will add to those movies of his mentioned previously:
Malta Story (1953)
The Prisoner (1955)
Our Man in Havana (1959)
Brother Sun, Sister Moon (1972)

I would put time aside to watch the film.  I think you'll both like it a lot.

I am pretty sure we are going to do it soon. Ha. Gromit is definitely  on our latest list of "must sees" ha. I am with you, his expressions are the best part. (that and how utterly OBTUSE Wallace is most of the time.. pretty much all of it. ha.

Wow!  What a fascinating discussion that must have been.  I liked that you could tell she was struggling with the decision of the parents.

Ha..  you should hear some of the "deep" chats we get into. That kid is a thinker for sure. But she really is very black and white" (she is more like me than ME, sometimes. ha) So I like these "moral dilemma" conversations because it gets her to stretch her brain a bit and see the world less one (or even two) dimensional (I know.. you can't believe it is ME saying this can you?? ha) :D One of the things she said (regarding Elsa and her parents) was that she thought they should  have at least sent her to someone who could teach her to use her powers for "good" ha.. and then not long after that we saw the "How it Should Have Ended" video where she is sent to become part of the X-Men.. ha. And I reminded her of what she had said, and she cracked up.. "Yeah!! But not with THEM!!!!!!!!!" (she is no sort of X-Man" fan. ha. Too creepy for her, I think.. but she did think it was funny that they "copied" her idea. :D

She thought they should have sent her to stay with the trolls for a while. ha. (oh that kidling.. always thinking) :D

I agree with you with all of that.  I do believe independent thought is important.  It's how it's done, as you say, that is the key.  We are agreeing too much!

I KNOW. we need a mud fight. ha. This has to be some sort of mix up or SOMETHING. (maybe all these "princess movies" have made you loopy. ha. 

I have a reputation to uphold!

Of COURSE! :D

Don't worry.  We are soon moving to your film.  And I know others enjoy it, as well

WOOO!!  Which one?? The sweet little "pig of destiny"?? Or the indestructible "comic book" hero (versus his polar opposite villian?). Or possibly the "Toon-Noir" ???  

Oh wait.. could it be.. the lovely little homicidal maniac in braids and tap shoes??? Even better!! :D

Again.. I am on the edge of my seat!   :D

I am pretty sure we are going to do it soon. Ha. Gromit is definitely  on our latest list of "must sees" ha. I am with you, his expressions are the best part. (that and how utterly OBTUSE Wallace is most of the time.. pretty much all of it. ha.

Wallace's sheer joy and delight over his contraptions and cheese are wonderful.  Gromit's exasperation just kills me.

Ha..  you should hear some of the "deep" chats we get into. That kid is a thinker for sure. But she really is very black and white" (she is more like me than ME, sometimes. ha) So I like these "moral dilemma" conversations because it gets her to stretch her brain a bit and see the world less one (or even two) dimensional (I know.. you can't believe it is ME saying this can you?? ha) :D One of the things she said (regarding Elsa and her parents) was that she thought they should  have at least sent her to someone who could teach her to use her powers for "good" ha.. and then not long after that we saw the "How it Should Have Ended" video where she is sent to become part of the X-Men.. ha. And I reminded her of what she had said, and she cracked up.. "Yeah!! But not with THEM!!!!!!!!!" (she is no sort of X-Man" fan. ha. Too creepy for her, I think.. but she did think it was funny that they "copied" her idea. :D

Your daughter is definitely at the "black and white" and literal stage of development.  That will eventually start to shift.  She may be delayed more due to her schooling situation, though.

She thought they should have sent her to stay with the trolls for a while. ha. (oh that kidling.. always thinking) :D

If I was Elsa, I would freeze the trolls!

I KNOW. we need a mud fight. ha. This has to be some sort of mix up or SOMETHING. (maybe all these "princess movies" have made you loopy. ha. 

You may have something there!

Well, here is my next group of films:

Ann Vickers (1933)

The Bad Seed (1956)

The Beast of the City (1932)

The Caine Mutiny (1954)

Carrie (1952)

Casanova Brown (1944)

Cash on Demand (1961)

Chandu on Magic Island (1935)

Conflict (1945)

The Court Jester (1955)

Cry 'Havoc' (1943)

A Dangerous Profession (1949)

Enchantment (1948)

Framed (1947)

Funny Girl (1968)

Gambling Lady (1934)

Good News (1947)

High Wall (1947)

The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1939)

I Bury the Living (1958)

Indiscretion of an American Wife (1953)

Just This Once (1952)

The Lawless (1950)

Major Dundee (1965)

The Man in the Net (1959)

The Naughty Nineties (1945)

Prisoners of the Casbah (1953)

Ruby Gentry (1952)

Ruggles of Red Gap (1935)

The Sea Hawk (1940)

Song of India (1949)

Stop Me Before I Kill! (1960)

Swing High, Swing Low (1937)

The Suspect (1944)

These Are the Damned (1963)

13 West Street (1962)

The Vampire Bat (1933)

A Woman Rebels (1936)

Woman Wanted (1935)

Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942)

Any thoughts from anyone?  Favorites?  Not-so favorites?  Care to guess my favorite ten from the list?  I will watch another group of contemporary films while we discuss these.

Alec Guinness does these roles also very well. The Lavender Hill Mob (1951), The Ladykillers (1955) and Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949). 

I feel that villainy can be quite ambiguous. I remember well the comment in analysis for: The Apartment (1960) which lists the sins of the main characters and then asks: "Who are you supposed to root for?"

George Sanders' villainy in: Rebecca (1940) would seem substantial in any other movie but it is overshadowed as Judith Anderson pegs out the depth-of-evil meter.

I understand that you have many choices for avatar. I will "help" further by a new suggestion:

eLh6g7d.jpg

Oh, you've hit on some of my very favorite performances! I love Guinness, and especially the Ealing comedies - probably BECAUSE they have so much ridiculous villainy in them! Perfect. The Ladykillers and The Man in the White Suit are my favorites, but Kind Hearts and Coronets is way up there, and then Lavender Hill Mob comes in right after that.

As far as ambiguous, I think you hit on the right word... in The Apartment for instance, there are some terribly unpleasant characters = Mr. Dobisch and Mr. Eichelberger are bad enough... but then Sheldrake takes the cake... and all in a button down, home in New Rochelle kind of way.

As for my avatar, I think little Amy wins the prize. but I will DEFINTELY be using Irena and Georgie bad boy in future.

Sir Francis:

Some highlights - 

The Caine Mutiny - great performances. This is where I found out Fred MacMurray could be a twit.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame - great film. Edmund O'Brien was a handsome man.

The Sea Hawk - terrific adventure film.

Ruggles of Red Gap - Laughton is great.

Odd film -

Swing High, Swing Low - Lombard and MacMurray have a fun first half (Swing High) and a rather depressing second half (Swing Low.)

Other films go in the middle of the road.

GAD! How many musicals did you WATCH? and how did you survive? :D

My favorites from your list in order are:

Yankee Doodle Dandy - it's got everything. I love the comedy, the patriotism is spot on, and the lighting is terrific for the musical stage numbers. Cagney so deserved the Oscar. A terrific movie. Best of so many kinds.

Woman Wanted - I love the butler, I love Maureen, I love Joel. I love eveyrthing about this one. I like the lightness of it.

Ruggles of Red Gap (one of the BEST character actor movies EVER) Another very patriotic film, disguised as a comedy. Even though it's got Charlie Ruggles and Mary Boland, I find I like Maude Eburne the best. My cuppa tea.

Beast of the City - I LOVE this one. Wallace Ford, Jean... who would have thought?

The Court Jester - I am not sure you would like this one... but man I just love it! The pellet with the poison...

Good News - What I love about it is that it's a reboot from the 1920's, so it doesn't take itself seriously... that being said, it's a terrifically upbeat, youthful film for post war audiences. It can actually make me cry because it's so full of hope for the future after the horror of WWII. And it has Joan McCracken. And Ray McDonald. This movie was one of my dad's great faves. I believe he had a crush on Pat the school femme fatale.

Enchantment - a lovely film, one of my favorite Niven performances.

Funny Girl -she really is funny. I like the mix of comedy/drama. Best scene and song for me is the Roller Skate Rag/I'd Rather Be Blue. And after that the seduction in the hotel scene. I like Fanny's love in this one. I hate the song People, which was the biggest hit from the movie, but Jule Styne is one of my favorite composers... I like all the other songs.

Caine Mutiny - I honestly haven't seen the whole thing at one sitting, but what I have seen is terrific! Great cast, great script. Love the dressing down of MacMurray at the end. I like multi-character casts. Again, gradations of culpability here.

The Suspect - A really neat little thriller... atmospheric

Carrie - I like it a lot, but so terribly painful to watch. Not something I enter into lightly. Olivier is just superb here. I like that Carrie is not a villain. I like Romantic Fatalism.

Indiscretion of an American Wife - It touches on a theme I like and is so well filmed. Plus Jennifer is terrific. I find Clift so much more likeable here than Warren Beatty in The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone. 

Man in the Net - I really really enjoyed this film. A good how-to-get-out-of-it (as opposed to a whodunnit). I even liked the kids!

Framed - a nice little noir. I very much enjoyed Janis Carter and the twists here.

The Bad Seed - the best! The actor-y performances just heighten the mood. Love it. It kind of goes into a genre of it's own - maybe Dead RInger is stuck in there too... not quite horror, murder films

Hunchback of Notre Dame - I don't know why, but I don't care for either version of this story much, though this one is very very well done. Maureen never looked lovelier (that's saying a lot) and Laughton is terrific. For me, the only reason I watch is to see Edmond O'Brien as a good looking young man! A great example of gradations of evil, though. Evil priests are the worst. Ugh!

Swing High Swing Low - here's one where I didn't care for the mix of comedy and drama. In fact, I hate the drama. Such a promising start...should be better. Luckily the combo of stars is a genial one. Go watch Blues in the Night for a great light film about musicians that suddenly goes all dark.

Major Dundee - Pretty good for Chuck. But needed more Ben, less Chuck.

Conflict - Another in the creepy atmospheric murder films. I love the creep factor, but I like it less than The Two Mrs. Carrolls and Cry Wolf and The Suspect. Basically, a little less than most others in this genre.

The Sea Hawk - Great movie, don't care much for Brenda Marshall. Somehow, I can't sit still for this one. A little darker Flynn coming out here. The incredibly beautiful ship footage was from the 1924 version, reused.

A Woman Rebels - it should be good. It's a dry slog though. Never can get into it, surprisingly. And I'm the queen of Kate's poison period. I like almost all her other films from this time.

The Vampire Bat - pretty rough. Some good lighting is about all. So stodgy in that early sound way.

I remember liking Casanova Brown quite a bit as a young woman, Can't remember a thing about it now except it's light tone. .

I am probably the only person here who LIKES MacDonald Carey, so I'd really like to see The Lawless.

I think I saw part of A Dangerous Profession... I love Ella and mostly I like George Raft, especially at about this time period. I didn't see enough to make an educated assumption about it. Alice was blown away after watching SCARFACE with me that SPATS from Some Like it Hot (her latest favorite classic film) was ever young. And oh so good looking. She was positively drooling over him. Like the rest of us. :D

I've seen parts of Ann Vickers but not enough to know what was going on.

I haven't seen Cry havoc in a long long time, so I felt it would be unfair to try and rank it. I remember it being very good. ANd I think I was surprised at it being so good. But it's not a film I would revisit often.

Wendy! YAY!

GAD! How many musicals did you WATCH? and how did you survive?

That would be my fault once again. and he hasn't let me forget it!! I told him I am NEVER recommending a film to him again, but he always asks me! Honest!!

Wendy! YAY!

GAD! How many musicals did you WATCH? and how did you survive?

That would be my fault once again. and he hasn't let me forget it!! I told him I am NEVER recommending a film to him again, but he always asks me! Honest!!

Well, great choices. little wifey! I think I might have recommended Yankee Doodle Dandy.... what did I do that for? He'll probably chew it up and spit it out....

HELLO Mr. Grey (ha.. or I am with Ms. Favell.. maybe we should call  you the Music Man.. ha. Hey! Now THERE's another movie, ha.. have you seen THAT one??) :D

my next group of films:

Now THAT is a list that looks more like the ones I am used to.. sort of. kind of.. ha.(because yeah.. there are a lot of "not-so" you looking ones on there.. but I see a few that I have seen that I really enjoy too. 

There are a lot on here I have never seen (ha.. nothing new about THAT) but from what I read online, i think I would enjoy several of them. (And ha.. there is even ONE on here I have consciously AVOIDED pretty much my entire life.. every time I have ever seen it aired.. I have made sure I watched anything but that. ha. You MIGHT even be able to guess what it is.. but I wonder... hmm.. ) :D

The Caine Mutiny (1954)  Enchantment (1948)  Enchantment (1948)

These three I know I have watched.. but it's been so long I can't comment much. I DO remember liking Enchantment.. but i somehow doubt you did, ha

The Bad Seed (1956)

Ah  yes.. Rhoda, sweet RHODA!!!!!!!! Such a pretty little thing, isn't she?? ha. :D Hmmm.. I HOPE you will rate that one higher than some. But I confess.. is is a bit of an acquired taste, ha. (and probably one you can't take TOO seriously or you won't like it much) It is one of those movies where some of the actors are a bit "campy" and yet SOME of then are superb. (Oh that LeRoy.. and poor Mrs DAGLE!!)  But the whole movie is just a lot of fun (albeit in a bone-chilling and utterly disturbing and unsettling kinda way.) The QT introduced this movie to me a year or so after we got married. ("What? You've never seen The Bad Seed??" Ha.. and then of course he started singing the little tune she plays (over and over) on the piano. And then I had to see it.. and ha.,. we have laughed over this film (and shuddered over it) ever since. I will be waiting to hear what you thought of our beloved Rhoda, for sure. 

Framed (1947)

I liked it! I enjoyed watching poor Glen get pulled through the wringer, ha.. and I really liked the ending. (even if it did seem to wrap up pretty easily as for catching the real criminal)

FRAMED Spoiler:  I was glad to see Paula get what was coming to her. Sort of reminded me a little bit of the ending of the Killers... but not at all the same feeling of "Oh my GOODNESS"  shock and awe that I remember having with that one (because, ha, I still remember just REJOICING over "Kitty is innocent.. No Kitty is TOAST" ha. Didn't quite get that same "thrill" out of this one. But was glad it wrapped up the way that it did. 

This movie always makes me squirm. But it is a very good film. I just have a hard time watching it. The story and the character of Quasimodo is just so pathetic.. He was so well played, he just breaks my heart too much. Having said that, Maureen was utterly lovely. A perfect contrast to his hideous features. 

I have only seen this film once a couple of  years back (or it seems that long ago) I just know I LOVED it. ha. This may be my most favorite Laughton performance of all time (and that is saying something because there are a few that I really like him in) But Oh me. The other characters too. Very fun story.. and very  moving all at the same time. Yes.. the patriotism is almost forced on  you.. but it also is making a point that sometimes we NEED  to have it pointed out to us (if we start taking it for granted) that our country and the freedoms we enjoy here ARE to be valued so highly. 

Anyway.. a very good film. I hope you liked it. You DO like to root for the "little guy" and he gets his day in this film..  but I have no idea what you will say. 

This film goes on too long for me (ha.. it may not really BE that long, but it FEELS that way) Having said that.. I do enjoy it in pieces. I really like the beginning. And I even like the ending. I just get bogged down somewhere about the middle. Having said that.. Cagney does a great job. Very entertaining. I somehow don't think it will be at the top of your list.. but ha.. if it is, I would love to hear why. 

PS: Ms Favell!!!!!!!!!!!  I see little AMY is with us today.. at last! Woo HOO! :D

First of all I want to start off by saying, I told you that you didn't have to watch Funny Girl! I'm going to please innocence with that one! I didn't think you would like it and I know how you feel about Babs! So no getting on my case with that one is allowed! Heehee!

Ann Vickers (1933) - Irene!!  Woohoo! This one is kind of weird though. I don't moind it but I get really picky about Walter Huston and I just couldn't go for him here.

The Bad Seed (1956) - This is a good thriller! It isn't typically up my alley, but I liked Patty in it! She is so convincing! It has it's corny parts, but that kind of added the charm for me.

The Caine Mutiny (1954) - EEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWW!!!!! That's all I'm going to say. Heehee!

Casanova Brown (1944) - This doesn't have the strongest story for me, but Gary is super cute in it and he is always great with Teresa Wright plus seeing Gary with a baby is the MOST adorable thing in the world! It's a cute little film.

Conflict (1945) - I can't wait to hear what you thought of this one! It's a pretty good Bogie film. I always love seeing what Sydney Greenstreet will do next.

The Court Jester (1955) - One of my very favorites! YAYYYYYY!!! I just know you liked Glynis Johns here. She is pure spitfire and gorgeousness! Plus Angela as the sheltered princess always told what to do. Poor Angela!!!

"The Duchess dove at the Duke just when the Duke dove at the Doge. Now the Duke ducked, the Doge dodged, and the Duchess didn't. So the Duke got the Duchess, the Duchess got the Doge, and the Doge got the Duke!"

Cry 'Havoc' (1943) - This one has your Joanie in it. Go figure. heehee! This one confused me. So much is going on!

Funny Girl (1968) - Don't kill me when you review this pretty please, because I just know you hated it.

Good News (1947) - I know, I know, they ruined football for you. But it's my favorite Junie movie ever! I love the ending musical number! It's one of my favorite movie endings! It just blows you out of the water!

The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1939) - I really liked Moey in this one! She is gorgeous and her part is spot on!

Indiscretion of an American Wife (1953) - There is a lot of realism in this one. I think that really surprised me when I first watched it. It has shades of Brief Encounter written all over it, but I kind of go for this one more so.

The Naughty Nineties (1945) - My favorite Abbott and Costello movie!! Every scene is a different skit! I have been laughing hysterically to this one with my momma for years and will always continue to do so. I just wanna give Costello a big kiss on the cheek and give him a big hug every time!

The Sea Hawk (1940) - Loverly Errol swashbuckling moments here! I liked Captain Blood a little more than this one, but I will say the action scenes are stronger here.

The Suspect (1944) - Charles Laughton gives an awesome performance here! Ella Raines plays a great "innocent", although they almost make her too innocent acting.

These Are the Damned (1963) - This one freaked me out!! Experimenting on children--this is a really dark one that initially made me uncomfortable, even though the acting isn't the greatest.

The Vampire Bat (1933) - I LOVED this one! But I will watch anything with Fay Wray. The whole feel was just intriguing

A Woman Rebels (1936). I went into it expecting something COMPLETELY different and was surprised to find this story. Were you surprised at all?

Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942) - I liked this film. Great performance by
Cagney and loved his song and dance numbers. I love that he branched out and didn't something out of his comfort zone. Yay for musicals!! Heehee! :P:P

Oh, you've hit on some of my very favorite performances! I love Guinness, and especially the Ealing comedies - probably BECAUSE they have so much ridiculous villainy in them! Perfect. 

As for my avatar, I think little Amy wins the prize. but I will DEFINTELY be using Irena and Georgie bad boy in future.

I believe a case could be made also for: lovable villains. Trouble in Paradise (1932) comes first to mind. Herbert Marshall can prey upon me at any time! ;)

I believe that you made the best choice for your avatar! It does seem to suit you.

Hey, SansFin -- I am sorry that I misinterpreted your analysis. I believed that your ranking it number twenty-two in a list of twenty-five which placed it long after several movies which I consider absolute snoozers indicated that you did not enjoy it greatly.

Honestly, I'm not one to really dislike many films.  I usually find something to like and appreciate.  Robin Hood certainly isn't a snoozer.

I was forced to make choice between buying DVD of: The Sword in the Stone (1963) or DVD of: Robin Hood (1973) at closing-out sale of local video store because I did not have money with me to buy both. I choose: The Sword in the Stone (1963). It is sad to say: Robin Hood (1973) DVD was gone when I returned the next day to purchase it. This disappointment has led to slight enhancement of my opinion of good qualities of the movie.

Ha!  It's funny how that works.  I know I have faced such decisions in the past and regretted missing out on a title.  I'm curious to see The Sword in the Stone.

I feel that his range is exceptional! He can be lovable or loathsome. He can be ingenious or indolent. I know of few other actors who acquit so well in roles of high drama and in roles of broad comedy.

I completely agree with your wise assessment of Sir Alec.  What a talent.

I will add to those movies of his mentioned previously:
Malta Story (1953)
The Prisoner (1955)
Our Man in Havana (1959)
Brother Sun, Sister Moon (1972)

I'm going to look to watch Our Man in Havana in the next group for you.

Hiya, Musicman -- The Caine Mutiny - great performances. This is where I found out Fred MacMurray could be a twit.

That made me laugh!  I was very surprised by the twists and turns with this one.  Both Fred and Van Johnson don't come off too well.  Impressive for both to take on such roles.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame - great film. Edmund O'Brien was a handsome man.

Did he play the Hunchback? :P  I was too focused on Maureen!

Swing High, Swing Low - Lombard and MacMurray have a fun first half (Swing High) and a rather depressing second half (Swing Low.)

To me, this is the 30s.  It's a free-for-all decade.  I believe that's part of the attraction of the decade for many.  It can be sometimes jarring for me.

Hey there, Quiet Gal -- HELLO Mr. Grey (ha.. or I am with Ms. Favell.. maybe we should call  you the Music Man.. ha. Hey! Now THERE's another movie, ha.. have you seen THAT one??) :D

I haven't seen that one.  The little bit I saw I liked, actually.

There are a lot on here I have never seen (ha.. nothing new about THAT) but from what I read online, i think I would enjoy several of them. (And ha.. there is even ONE on here I have consciously AVOIDED pretty much my entire life.. every time I have ever seen it aired.. I have made sure I watched anything but that. ha. You MIGHT even be able to guess what it is.. but I wonder... hmm.. ) :D

I'm guessing it's Funny Girl.

Ah  yes.. Rhoda, sweet RHODA!!!!!!!! Such a pretty little thing, isn't she?? ha. :D Hmmm.. I HOPE you will rate that one higher than some. But I confess.. is is a bit of an acquired taste, ha. (and probably one you can't take TOO seriously or you won't like it much) It is one of those movies where some of the actors are a bit "campy" and yet SOME of then are superb. (Oh that LeRoy.. and poor Mrs DAGLE!!)  But the whole movie is just a lot of fun (albeit in a bone-chilling and utterly disturbing and unsettling kinda way.) The QT introduced this movie to me a year or so after we got married. ("What? You've never seen The Bad Seed??" Ha.. and then of course he started singing the little tune she plays (over and over) on the piano. And then I had to see it.. and ha.,. we have laughed over this film (and shuddered over it) ever since. I will be waiting to hear what you thought of our beloved Rhoda, for sure. 

I cannot believe it was the QT who suggested it to you!  I was not prepared for it being a filmed play.  That caught me off guard.  And I'm someone who does like filmed plays.  Quite a bit, usually.

I liked it! I enjoyed watching poor Glen get pulled through the wringer, ha.. and I really liked the ending. (even if it did seem to wrap up pretty easily as for catching the real criminal)

This kind of surprised me.  I was expecting you would be mostly cold with Framed.

FRAMED Spoiler:  

I was glad to see Paula get what was coming to her. Sort of reminded me a little bit of the ending of the Killers... but not at all the same feeling of "Oh my GOODNESS"  shock and awe that I remember having with that one (because, ha, I still remember just REJOICING over "Kitty is innocent.. No Kitty is TOAST" ha. Didn't quite get that same "thrill" out of this one. But was glad it wrapped up the way that it did. 

That's a good comparison!  You are right, Kitty gets it much worse.

This movie always makes me squirm. But it is a very good film. I just have a hard time watching it. The story and the character of Quasimodo is just so pathetic.. He was so well played, he just breaks my heart too much. Having said that, Maureen was utterly lovely. A perfect contrast to his hideous features. 

I would not have guessed that with you.  Charles Laughton really does a great job in playing Quasimodo.  The guy showed quite a bit of range in his career.  Maureen was beautiful to behold.

I have only seen this film once a couple of  years back (or it seems that long ago) I just know I LOVED it. ha. This may be my most favorite Laughton performance of all time (and that is saying something because there are a few that I really like him in) But Oh me. The other characters too. Very fun story.. and very  moving all at the same time. Yes.. the patriotism is almost forced on  you.. but it also is making a point that sometimes we NEED  to have it pointed out to us (if we start taking it for granted) that our country and the freedoms we enjoy here ARE to be valued so highly.

Once again, Laughton shines in a different kind of role.  And, funny, I didn't feel as if the patriotism was forced on me.  And I usually dislike flag waving.  It's certainly pro American opportunity versus British class system.  I guess the recital of the Gettysburg Address makes it patriotic.  But I think of that speech as meaning more.

Anyway.. a very good film. I hope you liked it. You DO like to root for the "little guy" and he gets his day in this film..  but I have no idea what you will say. 

I'm glad I can keep you guessing!

This film goes on too long for me (ha.. it may not really BE that long, but it FEELS that way) Having said that.. I do enjoy it in pieces. I really like the beginning. And I even like the ending. I just get bogged down somewhere about the middle. Having said that.. Cagney does a great job. Very entertaining. I somehow don't think it will be at the top of your list.. but ha.. if it is, I would love to hear why.

You are pretty much on the mark with me with this one.  Cagney is marvelous.  Now this film is full of patriotism because the subject made his mark this way.  And, once again, I wasn't bothered by it at all.  I think it's because I like the songs.

Ciao, Denver -- Love the avatar!  It's fitting, my friend.

GAD! How many musicals did you WATCH? and how did you survive? :D

I'm being tortured by the married girl!  You would think she would be sweeter than that!

My favorites from your list in order are:

In order!  Woohoo!

Yankee Doodle Dandy - it's got everything. I love the comedy, the patriotism is spot on, and the lighting is terrific for the musical stage numbers. Cagney so deserved the Oscar. A terrific movie. Best of so many kinds.

And you are right, I did watch this because of you.  Cagney definitely deserved his Oscar.  Such brilliance on many levels.

Woman Wanted - I love the butler, I love Maureen, I love Joel. I love eveyrthing about this one. I like the lightness of it.

It's definitely light and enjoyable.  Maureen is made for these kind of films.  Your big galoot is once again pleasing. :)

Ruggles of Red Gap (one of the BEST character actor movies EVER) Another very patriotic film, disguised as a comedy. Even though it's got Charlie Ruggles and Mary Boland, I find I like Maude Eburne the best. My cuppa tea.

Maude is a riot!  Charlie is who I liked the very most.  Is there a nicer guy?

Beast of the City - I LOVE this one. Wallace Ford, Jean... who would have thought?

Jean with Wallace?!  Talk about stunned!  I never saw Wallace any younger.

The Court Jester - I am not sure you would like this one... but man I just love it! The pellet with the poison...

:D  When Danny is put under a spell by Griselda (Mildred Natwick), I laughed a lot.

Good News - What I love about it is that it's a reboot from the 1920's, so it doesn't take itself seriously... that being said, it's a terrifically upbeat, youthful film for post war audiences. It can actually make me cry because it's so full of hope for the future after the horror of WWII. And it has Joan McCracken. And Ray McDonald. This movie was one of my dad's great faves. I believe he had a crush on Pat the school femme fatale.

Pat was playing Miss G!  Your dad would have loved her, too. :P  Sweet T is gonna be thrilled to hear you like Good News.  She heard "Bad News" from me!

Enchantment - a lovely film, one of my favorite Niven performances.

Niven is almost always a delight.  Very underrated.

Funny Girl -she really is funny. I like the mix of comedy/drama. Best scene and song for me is the Roller Skate Rag/I'd Rather Be Blue. And after that the seduction in the hotel scene. I like Fanny's love in this one. I hate the song People, which was the biggest hit from the movie, but Jule Styne is one of my favorite composers... I like all the other songs.

I agree, I liked the "Roller Skate Rag/I'd Rather Be Blue" segment of the film.  The early going is pretty entertaining.  But I actually like "People" the very most in terms of songs.

Caine Mutiny - I honestly haven't seen the whole thing at one sitting, but what I have seen is terrific! Great cast, great script. Love the dressing down of MacMurray at the end. I like multi-character casts. Again, gradations of culpability here.

For not having seen the entire film, your quick synopsis is spot on.  Brave performances by Bogie, Fred MacMurray, and Van Johnson.

The Suspect - A really neat little thriller... atmospheric

Robert Siodmak sure made his mark in this area.

Carrie - I like it a lot, but so terribly painful to watch. Not something I enter into lightly. Olivier is just superb here. I like that Carrie is not a villain. I like Romantic Fatalism.

Rather similar to Funny Girl, oddly enough.  Both films switch focus.  I'm not a big fan of Olivier, but he's exceptional in this one.

Indiscretion of an American Wife - It touches on a theme I like and is so well filmed. Plus Jennifer is terrific. I find Clift so much more likeable here than Warren Beatty in The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone. 

I didn't know they were similar films!  Now I need to see The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone.  I know Miss G adores Beatty. :P  Quite a different kind of film for Jennifer and Monty.  Love their crime!

Man in the Net - I really really enjoyed this film. A good how-to-get-out-of-it (as opposed to a whodunnit). I even liked the kids!

Ugh!  The kids!

Framed - a nice little noir. I very much enjoyed Janis Carter and the twists here.

Boy, that's concise and right on!

The Bad Seed - the best! The actor-y performances just heighten the mood. Love it. It kind of goes into a genre of it's own - maybe Dead RInger is stuck in there too... not quite horror, murder films

It's heightened, all right.  But I go for such theatricality in film.  I thought it was great that they kept the majority of Broadway show together for the film.

Hunchback of Notre Dame - I don't know why, but I don't care for either version of this story much, though this one is very very well done. Maureen never looked lovelier (that's saying a lot) and Laughton is terrific. For me, the only reason I watch is to see Edmond O'Brien as a good looking young man! A great example of gradations of evil, though. Evil priests are the worst. Ugh!

Now this surprises me.  I would have definitely guessed you liked this one.  What about the story doesn't connect with you?

Swing High Swing Low - here's one where I didn't care for the mix of comedy and drama. In fact, I hate the drama. Such a promising start...should be better. Luckily the combo of stars is a genial one. Go watch Blues in the Night for a great light film about musicians that suddenly goes all dark.

I did watch Blues in the Night earlier this year.  You are right, it's excellent.  I loved it!  The comedy and drama are split into two harsh segments in Swing High, Swing Low.  It's quite jarring.

Major Dundee - Pretty good for Chuck. But needed more Ben, less Chuck.

Haha!  That's funny!  And you are right.

Conflict - Another in the creepy atmospheric murder films. I love the creep factor, but I like it less than The Two Mrs. Carrolls and Cry Wolf and The Suspect. Basically, a little less than most others in this genre.

And I'm actually the opposite with those three films.  I like Conflict the most of the three.  I can just imagine how audiences would have taken Bogie this way after his previous heroic films.  It must have been startling!

The Sea Hawk - Great movie, don't care much for Brenda Marshall. Somehow, I can't sit still for this one. A little darker Flynn coming out here. The incredibly beautiful ship footage was from the 1924 version, reused.

I was struggling with this one until halfway through.  Then it really kicked in.  I can see how Brenda would be a detriment.  I bet Miss G is going to say the same.

A Woman Rebels - it should be good. It's a dry slog though. Never can get into it, surprisingly. And I'm the queen of Kate's poison period. I like almost all her other films from this time.

I'm convinced that half the films in the 30s are "Madame X"!

The Vampire Bat - pretty rough. Some good lighting is about all. So stodgy in that early sound way.

But Melvyn Douglas!  Is that really him?!

I remember liking Casanova Brown quite a bit as a young woman, Can't remember a thing about it now except it's light tone. .

It's light but with a risque theme.

I am probably the only person here who LIKES MacDonald Carey, so I'd really like to see The Lawless.

I bet you're right!  MacDonald is quite himself in The Lawless.  I think you'd like it enough.

I think I saw part of A Dangerous Profession... I love Ella and mostly I like George Raft, especially at about this time period. I didn't see enough to make an educated assumption about it. Alice was blown away after watching SCARFACE with me that SPATS from Some Like it Hot (her latest favorite classic film) was ever young. And oh so good looking. She was positively drooling over him. Like the rest of us. :D

She watched Scarface?  I bet Quiet Gal will be showing that to the kidling. :D  I actually had the opposite reaction of your daughter because I saw George in the 30s and 40s before I saw Some Like It Hot.  It's funny to see him in that one.

I haven't seen Cry havoc in a long long time, so I felt it would be unfair to try and rank it. I remember it being very good. ANd I think I was surprised at it being so good. But it's not a film I would revisit often.

Ann Sothern and Joan Blondell!  Ann is a peach.

Hola, Snobby T -- :P

First of all I want to start off by saying, I told you that you didn't have to watch Funny Girl! I'm going to please innocence with that one! I didn't think you would like it and I know how you feel about Babs! So no getting on my case with that one is allowed! Heehee!

It's all your fault!  Poor Quiet Gal and Jackie are looking to see if I'm with an imaginary rabbit!

Ann Vickers (1933) - Irene!!  Woohoo! This one is kind of weird though. I don't moind it but I get really picky about Walter Huston and I just couldn't go for him here.

Irene sure liked to jump in bed in this one!  Ann Vickers Goes Wild, not Theodora!  :P

The Bad Seed (1956) - This is a good thriller! It isn't typically up my alley, but I liked Patty in it! She is so convincing! It has it's corny parts, but that kind of added the charm for me.

I know who the bad seed is around here!

The Caine Mutiny (1954) - EEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWW!!!!! That's all I'm going to say. Heehee!

It has Van Johnson!

Casanova Brown (1944) - This doesn't have the strongest story for me, but Gary is super cute in it and he is always great with Teresa Wright plus seeing Gary with a baby is the MOST adorable thing in the world! It's a cute little film.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Conflict (1945) - I can't wait to hear what you thought of this one! It's a pretty good Bogie film. I always love seeing what Sydney Greenstreet will do next.

Sydney and Bogie flipped roles in this one!

The Court Jester (1955) - One of my very favorites! YAYYYYYY!!! I just know you liked Glynis Johns here. She is pure spitfire and gorgeousness! Plus Angela as the sheltered princess always told what to do. Poor Angela!!!

I actually liked Angela more than Glynis.  Well, except for the barn scene. :D

Cry 'Havoc' (1943) - This one has your Joanie in it. Go figure. heehee! This one confused me. So much is going on!

No, this one doesn't have my Joanie in it.  My Joanie is Joan Bennett.  But I do like Joan Blondell.  I like Ann even more.  Thanks to Jackie, my love for Ann has gone way up because of "Maisie".

Funny Girl (1968) - Don't kill me when you review this pretty please, because I just know you hated it.

I didn't hate it, so you are safe.  I even liked Barbra.

Good News (1947) - I know, I know, they ruined football for you. But it's my favorite Junie movie ever! I love the ending musical number! It's one of my favorite movie endings! It just blows you out of the water!

Gag!  I liked "Lucky in Love".  "The Best Things in Life are Free" is pretty good, too.  June was bothering me some.  I think it's her look that I'm struggling with.

Indiscretion of an American Wife (1953) - There is a lot of realism in this one. I think that really surprised me when I first watched it. It has shades of Brief Encounter written all over it, but I kind of go for this one more so.

You like this one more than Brief Encounter?  You mustn't like Brief Encounter because I can't see you liking this one that much.  It's an interesting film.

The Naughty Nineties (1945) - My favorite Abbott and Costello movie!! Every scene is a different skit! I have been laughing hysterically to this one with my momma for years and will always continue to do so. I just wanna give Costello a big kiss on the cheek and give him a big hug every time!

More hugs and kisses!  It was great to see the "Who's on First" skit in its entirety.

The Sea Hawk (1940) - Loverly Errol swashbuckling moments here! I liked Captain Blood a little more than this one, but I will say the action scenes are stronger here.

I ended up liking The Sea Hawk more than Captain Blood.  Errol can do no wrong at this stage of his career.  Such charisma.

The Suspect (1944) - Charles Laughton gives an awesome performance here! Ella Raines plays a great "innocent", although they almost make her too innocent acting.

You are right, Ella is almost too innocent here.  She's you!

These Are the Damned (1963) - This one freaked me out!! Experimenting on children--this is a really dark one that initially made me uncomfortable, even though the acting isn't the greatest.

This one kind of fascinated me.  It's two different types of films.  I'll elaborate when I rank the films and write my thoughts.

The Vampire Bat (1933) - I LOVED this one! But I will watch anything with Fay Wray. The whole feel was just intriguing

Fay is very similar to Maureen O'Sullivan.  I love her sweetness.

A Woman Rebels (1936). I went into it expecting something COMPLETELY different and was surprised to find this story. Were you surprised at all?

I was surprised you suggested it to me!  It doesn't seem like your kind of film at all.

Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942) - I liked this film. Great performance by
Cagney and loved his song and dance numbers. I love that he branched out and didn't something out of his comfort zone. Yay for musicals!! Heehee!

I think I've seen every musical made now, so I can rest. :P

I'm curious to see The Sword in the Stone.

I do hope that you enjoy it. I find it very much a romp. I am an easy mark for saucy birds. I feel it has one of the greatest battle scenes ever in a movie! I feel that in its way that it is true to the spirit of the legend. I hesitate to say much for fear of giving spoilers.

I like Conflict the most of the three.  I can just imagine how audiences would have taken Bogie this way after his previous heroic films.  It must have been startling!

I believe that one of the reasons why I like the movie so very much is the unusual role. He does it so very well! My enthusiasm is tempered only by the thought that it should have been Claude Rains in the Sydney Greenstreet role. I would find it much more believable that he would devise such a 'gaslight' scheme to draw out the murderer.

Well, here is my next group of films:

That is a wildly diverse group!  Too many musicals even for me, ha!

My thoughts and then how I think you liked ten of them:

Ann Vickers (1933) - Sorry Mrs. Sweet T, but Walter is the main pull for me in this movie.  I like it and mainly for their unconventional romance.  The rest of it doesn't interest me.  I have the book by the way, by Lewis (whom I generally enjoy), but ended up using it as a doorstop after reading it, ha.  Still, Barney is my kind of guy. :D

The Bad Seed (1956) - The ending soothes me every time I think of all the brats out there... :D:D

The Beast of the City (1932) - I wasn't that thrilled with it but it's interesting.  The title made me expect more, ha.  Wallace and Edmond used to get the girl!

The Caine Mutiny (1954) - Not a perfect film but the individual performances are pretty darn fascinating.  I can never see strawberries without thinking of Bogie (Ro's "tomato", ha).

Carrie (1952) - Too heavy for me.  I like Olivier and love Jennifer but it's just so depressing all around.  Eddie Albert is the only character I like.

Casanova Brown (1944) - Gad, just about the nadir for me of Gary's "cutesy" movies.  Gag, gag, gag....  :angry:  

But he sure looked gorgeous, darn it!

Conflict (1945) - It's alright, a bit predictable to me.  I admit I prefer Bogie as an anti-hero but there wasn't much to sympathize with.

Cry 'Havoc' (1943) - I'd cry havoc if I was in a camp with all females! :D  I can't remember the plot at all, just sort of "stage door canteen" in a barracks; I often confuse it with "So Proudly We Hail".  All enjoyable actresses, though, so worth watching.

A Dangerous Profession (1949) - I enjoy these light noirs with Raft.  I found it very entertaining.

Enchantment (1948) - A lovely, melancholy film.  Don't care much for the Evelyn/Farley aspect though I like the linking of generations.  Very sad.  David really gave his all to the role as he would again with Separate Tables.  Poignant.  Was anyone ever a more vile "sister" than Jayne Meadows???

Framed (1947) - Very enjoyable Glenn Ford noir.  Janis Carter is terrific.

Gambling Lady (1934) - Very enjoyable warm-up for Missy's Lady Eve, I thought.

Good News (1947) - You might not believe I'm writing this but I actually rather enjoy this musical, despite my lack of enthusiasm for June.  Though I guess it's supposed to be 1920s (??) it makes me think of the "bobbie soxer" era---the colors, the optimism, the ultra-clean happiness.

High Wall (1947) - One of my favorite Taylor movies.  I think he does fine and Audrey Totter is excellent in an important role.  Anything remotely connected to Raymond Chandler gets me hooked.,

The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1939) - Like the others I don't want to watch it often but I think it's quite magnificent in every aspect.  "Toddy" is brilliant as the evil cleric!

I Bury the Living (1958) - Now I know I have to finish watching it.  I started to on YouTube because it has my guy, Richard Boone in it, but I got side tracked and the print was really bad.

Indiscretion of an American Wife (1953) - I have watched it a few times and started with: Wanting to love it and being deeply disappointed; to: liking it better each time.  I don't fault the performances (though it's hard for me to think of Monty as an Italian for some reason).  Jennifer is great.

Just This Once (1952) -Surprisingly, I most enjoyed this little bit of fluff.  Janet is so pretty and I even tolerated Peter for a change.

The Lawless (1950) - I don't remember much except thinking it mostly interesting---Gail is always worth watching.

Major Dundee (1965) - to me it is Peckinpah's "John Ford Cavalry" picture, only not as good.  Mainly because it's just too long and Chuck is too "Chuck".  It needed someone else in the role.  I'm not a huge fan of Richard Harris at all, but I prefer his character.  Senta Berger is beautiful as always but Ben needed more screen time, as did all of the John Ford Stock Company in the movie. :D

The Man in the Net (1959) - I really like this odd ball flick!  And yes, even the kids for a change.  The way Alan Ladd suddenly becomes Peter Pan/Robin Hood to them charmed me, shockingly.  It kind of hits on a lot of the crazy underbelly goings on of the 1950s.

Ruby Gentry (1952) - Of all the "bad girls" in cinema, Southern bad girls are definitely my favorite.  I had no idea this one was even on your horizon.  i watched it on TCM the other day.  i have always liked it (though I wish it had been filmed in color).  Again, I like it despite Chuck.  It's a little like Duel in the Sun in some ways, but I prefer it to that movie even though it's not techncially as good.  Maybe because I like Karl Malden a lot, and because I would love to have the power to flood out all the people who'd been mean to me. ha ha ha.  

Ruggles of Red Gap (1935) - Wonderful film, wonderful Laughton.

The Sea Hawk (1940) - You and Wendy are right, Bill Holden's wife should have stayed home.  How much better it would have been with Maureen O'Hara or Olivia!  It really does have some magnificent scenes, Errol is the whole show, though.  I still prefer the characters in Captain Blood.

Stop Me Before I Kill! (1960) - wow, this one sounds so up my alley---can't believe i've not seen it!  i really like Diane Cilento.  She has such a neat voice and look.  Not a typical British lady.  More femme fatale yet kind of earthy.  And it's set in the Cote d'Azur!   I must rent it!

Swing High, Swing Low (1937) - I watched it again because I remember enjoying it when I first saw it, liked it a little less this time.  I agree that it's the switch in tone.  I do like the first half a lot, and I especially love the scenes with the rooster. :D

The Suspect (1944) - I've always liked this film.  It's one of the most "Hitchcockian" films Hitchcock never directed (though the theme shows up in almost all his TV episodes).

These Are the Damned (1963) - Is this one of the sequels to Village of the Damned?  I've only thought the original film was good.  Georgie!  And again the idea that pretty, blonde children are evil! ha ha

13 West Street (1962) - Alan Ladd?  I'm not sure I have watched it yet.  Any good?

Woman Wanted (1935) - A fun, breezy caper with Maureen so adorable in this period.  Such a radiant smile she had.

Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942) - it's true Cagney is great but I prefer him in dramas without dancing.

Your top ten (somehow I can't see any of them cracking your top 100):

1. Framed (1947)

2. Conflict (1945)

3. The Suspect (1944)

4. Carrie

5. Indiscretion of an American Wife (1953)

6. Ruggles of Red Gap (1935)

7. The Lawless (1950)
8.Enchantment (1948)
9. The Sea Hawk (1940)
10. The Caine Mutiny (1954)

I will watch another group of contemporary films while we discuss these.

:(

Then you must watch Gladiator.   :P

Hiya Grey Dude, 

I haven't seen that one.  The little bit I saw I liked, actually.

I think you it is probably one you WOULD enjoy. (especially if you saw a bit of it and liked that much) It is not as "typical" a story for a musical as some, but it is a fun one and I think you'd like some of the humor. 

I'm guessing it's Funny Girl.

Ding-ding-ding.. ha. We HAVE a winner. :D

I cannot believe it was the QT who suggested it to you! 

Oh HE can be full of surprises now and then too. ha. He has quite a few classic favorites some we both enjoy.. and a few that he brings up now and then thatI have yet to see.

I was not prepared for it being a filmed play.  That caught me off guard.  And I'm someone who does like filmed plays.  Quite a bit, usually.

And I usually don't like that as much. It is very "over the top" in terms of the acting.. ha. But even with the "over-acting" I still love it. ha.The mom is overtly dramatic to the point she almost ruins the movie for me.. but I must confess that I love the way little RHODA is overplayed. She's utterly perfect. 

And again.. some of the characters are really well-played. To me the most believable are the two I already mentioned (LeRoy and Mrs. Dagle) and also Miss Fern. 

I would not have guessed that with you.  Charles Laughton really does a great job in playing Quasimodo.  The guy showed quite a bit of range in his career. 

He is first rate with anything I have ever seen him play. I think that the hardest part for me to watch in the film is the human cruelty. That is what I meant when I said it makes me squirm. Human nature can sometimes be an ugly thing.. no matter what one looks like. And the mistreatment of Quasimodo by SO many, over and over.. ugh.. I just can't take it. But it really is a very intriguing story. 

Once again, Laughton shines in a different kind of role.  And, funny, I didn't feel as if the patriotism was forced on me.  And I usually dislike flag waving.  It's certainly pro American opportunity versus British class system.  I guess the recital of the Gettysburg Address makes it patriotic.  But I think of that speech as meaning more.

It does mean more. And maybe the reason that I felt the patriotic theme was so "forced" was because that part of the story really stands out in my memory. He just spoke so eloquently.. reciting something with what you could tell was a reverent passion.. and yet he was standing there in a group of people that SHOULD already have had the same reverence and passion..  and yet for them, it was just a "vague" memory of some old speech by a long-gone president. It was a great moment. 

Jackie says; Alice was blown away after watching SCARFACE 

The Grey Dude replies: She watched Scarface?  I bet Quiet Gal will be showing that to the kidling.

Rohanaka busts out laughing..  hahahahahahahaha.. someday. :D

All kidding aside.. I am sure we will get to films like that one SOMEDAY.. but not yet. She is not quite as "gritty" as she needs to be for a story like that. :D  But we'll get there.. someday. 

Meanwhile.. here is one she IS looking forward to watching.. (hey Mr. Grey.. it's right up your alley! Another PRINCESS movie!!) :D

http://www.eonline.com/news/598785/cinderella-trailer-debuts-director-sir-kenneth-branagh-opens-up-about-the-live-action-disney-movie