skimpole

Where the hell is "Solaris"?

22 posts in this topic

OK, Solaris was supposed to have started eighteen minutes ago.  But some moron in programming thought it would be a good to run the four version of Greed as if they were running the two hour version.  And then some other moron thought they'd just ignore the fact that they booked Solaris.  So what is going on?  I don't appreciate this kind of incompetence, and I don't appreciate having to watch foreign language films in the middle of the night.

Looks like they went ahead and started Solaris late and now the first movie on the Monday schedule Spooks Run Wild is being preempted.  I guess things will synch back up with the next scheduled movie Big Jack once Solaris finishes.

Yeah, you both mentioned what happened. They showed the 4 hour reconstruction of Greed and not the 2 hour version as it says on the schedule. 

wine, pleasure cruises and blu-ray box sets are now tcm's main mission...

"a successful commercial enterprise!" -george babbitt, elmer gantry

:D

1 hour ago, Gershwin fan said:

Yeah, you both mentioned what happened. They showed the 4 hour reconstruction of Greed and not the 2 hour version as it says on the schedule. 

my on-screen guide indicated the 4-hour version.

16 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

my on-screen guide indicated the 4-hour version.

Mine did as well but the website schedule listed the two hour version.

• Like 1

Both Fedya and myself mentioned this in the "Hits & Misses" thread yesterday afternoon. Sorry to hear that some people missed the movie anyway.

I've got it on DVD. Feel free to swing by and borrow it if you want. I'll be around the house all afternoon.;)

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Both Fedya and myself mentioned this in the "Hits & Misses" thread yesterday afternoon. Sorry to hear that some people missed the movie anyway.

I've got it on DVD. Feel free to swing by and borrow it if you want. I'll be around the house all afternoon.;)

Party at Larry's!

i caught a bit of it this morning.

it was weird and arty and I felt personally wounded from a recent letdown viewing of another weird arty movie this wekeend.

it's too soon for me to trust again...

2 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Mine did as well but the website schedule listed the two hour version.

I've lost count of how many times the website schedule has been off.  It'll list a 154 minute midnight movie and show the next one as starting at 2:30.  It's not that big a deal if you're able to watch it live, but it can sure mess you up if you're trying to record consecutive movies overnight and you want to put them on separate tracks.  The mixup with Greed was only the latest example.

IMO the problem is that there's no single person to contact about these screwups, some of which can still be listed on the website right up to the point where the movie has begun.  In fact if you look at the website's schedule for last night, Solaris is STILL listed at 2:15!

Bottom line, folks:  If you're looking to watch anything on TCM, check your TV's program guide rather than simply assuming the website knows what it's doing.

My DVR uses the third party Schedules Direct service.  It captured half of Greed and then captured about the first half of Solyaris.  Oddly enough it still recorded a substantial sized block, probably big enough to fit the whole film.

Let's do this again and get it right.

2 hours ago, AndyM108 said:

Bottom line, folks:  If you're looking to watch anything on TCM, check your TV's program guide rather than simply assuming the website knows what it's doing.

Unfortunately, my TV's program guide mirrored TCM's website last night, so even this is no guarantee.  I Tivo'd Greed, but luckily for me I noticed which version was playing when it started and was able to change the settings on my recording to catch the whole thing, as it was originally set to only record a 2-hour and 15-minute block.

I've noticed this issue every Saturday morning on my TV's (Grande) guide since TCM began airing short cartoons.  A Popeye or some such cartoon will take up an hour block on the guide, while the Tarzan film airing afterword is only given a 30 minute block, or sometimes not listed at all.  This makes it very difficult to DVR programming at that time unless you manually set it, which entails trusting TCM's website to give the correct times.

1 hour ago, Feego said:

Unfortunately, my TV's program guide mirrored TCM's website last night, so even this is no guarantee.  I Tivo'd Greed, but luckily for me I noticed which version was playing when it started and was able to change the settings on my recording to catch the whole thing, as it was originally set to only record a 2-hour and 15-minute block.

I've noticed this issue every Saturday morning on my TV's (Grande) guide since TCM began airing short cartoons.  A Popeye or some such cartoon will take up an hour block on the guide, while the Tarzan film airing afterword is only given a 30 minute block, or sometimes not listed at all.  This makes it very difficult to DVR programming at that time unless you manually set it, which entails trusting TCM's website to give the correct times.

Shorts are not reliably scheduled.  Whatsoever.  50% of the time or more they get chopped in half.  Even with 2-3 minute padding before/after.  So I could see how that might happen.

• Thanks 1

Could never get through all of "GREED" &I did see where what I saw was magnicent filmmaking    A ton of critics have always viotyed in in the top ten all-timers silent or no

But, my top Silent Pictures are:

1st "MODERN TIMES"-(United Artists)=(barely cite it over below "CL" due to *Chaplin's use of "Smile" man that grand finale!!!  If *0rson starred, produced, wrote & directed, *Charlie got him beat in doing all that & even composing his own scores)

2nd "CITY LIGHTS" (l931-UA) (another all-time great finale by "The Little Tramp"

3rd "THE GENERAL" (l927) (most vote this as the tragic B. Keaton's mt. summit, however I almost rank "Seven Chances" & "Steamboat Bill, Jr" on par)

4th "THE GOLD RUSH" (l925-UA)

5th "INTOLERANCE" (l9l6) (next time check out Hollywood, blvd "Dolby Theatre" (was still "The Kodiak" when I went there in '99 & 05 though also called "Hollywood & Highland  & it's huge Elephants outside, obviously taken from this Griffith masterpiece) & along with his 1915 "Birth of a Nation" were the very 1st big event pix 24yrs priopr to the legendary *"GWTW")

6th fav. of mine silent era "THE CROWD" (l927 MGM) (Due to L.B. Mayer creating the Academy awards, he had them fixed for first few yrs-(most of all after this was 1936) He despised depression pix even if they were from his Dream Factory & wanted his studio to vote for *"Wings" instead & it worked)

7th "PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC" (l928-France) (Maria Falconetti delivers what may well be thee finest female portrayal her in cinematic history! Though don't know why the *AMPAS completely ignored her & it that year?)

8th "NAPOLEAN" (l927-French) (Abel Gance's bio of the legendary warrior & shot on many cameras,etc Yet another like #7 that was completely snubbed by HOLLYWOOD?)

9th ??? for now

PLEASE SEND YOUR OWN

25 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Shorts are not reliably scheduled.  Whatsoever.  50% of the time or more they get chopped in half.

Many reviewers of the era compared what is easily among the all-time greatest films 1948 "TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE" (WB) to "GREED" (P.S. I don't agree but *Bogey told *J. Huston he considered it a good Western after filming, who else thinks it an Adventure?  Same goes of *TRACY'S 1955 heavyweight "Black Rock" many rate that an actual Western though?)

THANK YOU

3 hours ago, AndyM108 said:

I've lost count of how many times the website schedule has been off.  It'll list a 154 minute midnight movie and show the next one as starting at 2:30.  It's not that big a deal if you're able to watch it live, but it can sure mess you up if you're trying to record consecutive movies overnight and you want to put them on separate tracks.  The mixup with Greed was only the latest example.

IMO the problem is that there's no single person to contact about these screwups, some of which can still be listed on the website right up to the point where the movie has begun.  In fact if you look at the website's schedule for last night, Solaris is STILL listed at 2:15!

Know your not talking about *Clooney's mediocre (**) remake right?

Sort of off on a tangent, but I have high respect for anyone who can watch the entire 4-hour version of Greed on TCM "live" without using a DVR.  I know I could never make it that far.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2018 at 4:47 PM, spence said:

Could never get through all of "GREED" &I did see where what I saw was magnicent filmmaking    A ton of critics have always viotyed in in the top ten all-timers silent or no

But, my top Silent Pictures are:

1st "MODERN TIMES"-(United Artists)=(barely cite it over below "CL" due to *Chaplin's use of "Smile" man that grand finale!!!  If *0rson starred, produced, wrote & directed, *Charlie got him beat in doing all that & even composing his own scores)

2nd "CITY LIGHTS" (l931-UA) (another all-time great finale by "The Little Tramp"

3rd "THE GENERAL" (l927) (most vote this as the tragic B. Keaton's mt. summit, however I almost rank "Seven Chances" & "Steamboat Bill, Jr" on par)

4th "THE GOLD RUSH" (l925-UA)

5th "INTOLERANCE" (l9l6) (next time check out Hollywood, blvd "Dolby Theatre" (was still "The Kodiak" when I went there in '99 & 05 though also called "Hollywood & Highland  & it's huge Elephants outside, obviously taken from this Griffith masterpiece) & along with his 1915 "Birth of a Nation" were the very 1st big event pix 24yrs priopr to the legendary *"GWTW")

6th fav. of mine silent era "THE CROWD" (l927 MGM) (Due to L.B. Mayer creating the Academy awards, he had them fixed for first few yrs-(most of all after this was 1936) He despised depression pix even if they were from his Dream Factory & wanted his studio to vote for *"Wings" instead & it worked)

7th "PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC" (l928-France) (Maria Falconetti delivers what may well be thee finest female portrayal her in cinematic history! Though don't know why the *AMPAS completely ignored her & it that year?)

8th "NAPOLEAN" (l927-French) (Abel Gance's bio of the legendary warrior & shot on many cameras,etc Yet another like #7 that was completely snubbed by HOLLYWOOD?)

9th ??? for now

PLEASE SEND YOUR OWN

Love silents and like your list, and though I could list many more, I'll stick with 15 of my favorites in chronological order:

1. Traffic in Souls (1913) A melodrama about a leading civic reformer who runs an abortion ring on the side

2. The Hoodlum (1919) My favorite Mary Pickford film

3. The Penalty (1921) My favorite Lon Chaney (which is saying a lot), the story of a gangster made legless as a child by a quack doctor who then spends most of the film plotting his revenge against the quack

4. Within Our Gates (1920) My favorite Oscar Micheaux film, a melodrama centered around The Great Migration

5. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1923).  Love Charles Laughton's later version, but Chaney's silent is every bit its equal

6. Lady of the Night (1925)  This one was a real eye-opener, seeing Norma Shearer for the first time in a role with a powerful dramatic punch

7. Greed (1924)  The 4 hour version only makes me wish I could see the long lost much longer film

8. Scar of Shame (1927) One of the earliest features with an all-black cast made for a black audience.  Typical melodrama but powerfully played

9. Speedy (1928)  I could watch this film over and over, if for nothing else than the scene where Lloyd breaks every traffic law there is in racing Babe Ruth in a taxi from downtown to Yankee Stadium, nearly killing the poor Babe about half a dozen times along the way

10. The Crowd (1928) Simply a beautiful film about how life can knock you down, but you just get up and keep going

11. The Racket (1928)  My favorite silent gangster movie.  Louis Wolheim (the gangster) and Thomas Meighan (the incorruptible cop) play off each other perfectly

12. A Lady of Chance (1928) A second Norma Shearer silent that's even better than Lady of the Night.  She plays a con woman who gets a case of conscience, and only perhaps Barbara Stanwyck could've ever matched her performance

13. The Godless Girl (1929) A feature film with an atheist girl as its protagonist!----Although I think you can guess the ending

14. Pandora's Box (1929) The G.W. Pabst silent German classic that put the Kansas-born Louise Brooks on the road to international stardom.  This is a film that couldn't  have possibly been made in the Hollywood of its time.

15. Diary of a Lost Girl (1929) IMO an even better pairing of director Pabst and siren Brooks, a searing look at the underbelly of Weimar Germany and its hypocritical sexual mores

One of the many beauties of this list is that EVERY ONE OF THEM was first introduced to me via TCM.

• Like 4

On 4/16/2018 at 2:35 AM, skimpole said:

OK, Solaris was supposed to have started eighteen minutes ago.  But some moron in programming thought it would be a good to run the four version of Greed as if they were running the two hour version.  And then some other moron thought they'd just ignore the fact that they booked Solaris.  So what is going on?  I don't appreciate this kind of incompetence, and I don't appreciate having to watch foreign language films in the middle of the night.

Uh, they booked my copy of "Solaris" a few months ago, but I shall have to take the blame for them playing "Greed" instead.

It was stuck way far back in my hall closet with all my other Tarkovsky films, and I went to get it last week and my doggie, Yuri grabbed it and chewed through the jewel case, and basically destroyed it just like he was a canine version of the KGB, so I could not ship it to TCM in time for the scheduled showing.

Sorry...

• Haha 1

On 4/16/2018 at 9:32 PM, cmovieviewer said:

Sort of off on a tangent, but I have high respect for anyone who can watch the entire 4-hour version of Greed on TCM "live" without using a DVR.  I know I could never make it that far.

Well, I've never watched it live in the wee hours when it's usually shown, but I have watched my DVD recording of it all the way through.  I find it a lot easier to get through in one sitting than GWTW, probably because I find the story far more compelling.  I made it through GWTW in a theater when I was in my early 20's and had no way of escaping, but ever since then I've had to chop it up into 3 or 4 parts in order to make it to IDGAD.

I do, however, have fond memories of the turnip that served as Scarlett's Bible when she swore she'd never go hungry again.  One of the great scenes in film history.

Or was it a yam?  It was a long time ago.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2018 at 9:32 PM, cmovieviewer said:

Thanks so much; I knew if I waited long enough someone would appreciate my valour!

I only like the elongated version of "Greed" though if it has the gold-tinted items on certain frames. Gee, wouldn't it be great if they finally found the missing scenes and also the spider pit scene from "King Kong"!

• Like 1