Sign in to follow this  
ILoveRayMilland

People You MUST Defend!

67 posts in this topic

No, you were right. I was giving the British title in reply to what mickee had said. I'd looked it up on IMDb and checked on his "Nivens" appearance. Since I'd looked it up, I thought I'd leave it for someone who might actually know without checking. Wanted to thank you, though, because I thought it was a nice bit of trivia and made me smile. I had had no idea Niven(s) was in Rose-Marie under any name. :)

You can say that again. When ILRM started this thread, my first thought was that there was no one I felt the need to defend, even though I do frequently play devil's advocate on one side or another. But when DTs mentioned Kim Hunter, I did think of Garfield.

John Garfield should need no defense, so I'm not sure I consider this one. If my facts are remembered correctly from, I think, a TCM documentary, Garfield tried to enlist three times at the start of the war, only to be turned down each time. Since he was unable to serve in the armed forces, he helped elsewhere. Along with Bette Davis, he founded the Hollywood Canteen. He toured with the USO. At US request, he went to Yugoslavia for an appearance, something that was later used against him. That his patriotism was questioned, worse, that it was questioned by glory-seeking politicos, whose love of country I definitely would question, is obscene.

Many careers, many good people were ruined by the blacklist. I've always put it down to anti-Communist hysteria, but considered that understandable in the circumstances following the war. The more I read of history, the better I can understand it. But the blacklist remains a tragedy.

That is So sad! anti-Communist stuff ruined a lot of lives! Anne Revere was blacklisted! Although she had time to do many great roles before that time!

Oh, and did anyone know that David Niven was in a uncredited part as one of the sailers in "Mutiny On The Bounty"?

Hi ILoveRayMilland:

there are people I am compelled to defend. Such as..................

Judy Garland

And not as much, but still............

Deanna Durbin

When I first discovered Deanna Durbin's films and was looking for more information about her, I noticed that there was a fair amount of animosity expressed against her on the internet by Judy Garland fans. You can see an example of it in the following "review" of the Durbin/Garland short "Every Sunday":

http://jgdb.com/sunday.htm

Many openly acknowledged that they hadn't ever seen Durbin in anything (other than Every Sunday), but that they resented her efforts to "steal" the short from Judy, thought her stardom was undeserved, her career negligible, etc. Or they cited Judy's later somewhat catty comment on Durbin's eyebrows as "like a catepillar" and alleged comic imitations of Durbin's slightly crooked left arm as admirable and appropriate because they were directed at "Deanna Durbin."

I've since come across many Judy fans, who, like me, either like and admire Deanna, or don't like her for more legitimate reasons, such as they don't like "sopranos" in general, or don't like classical music, or there's something in Durbin's manner/style they don't like, but the "personal" element I saw in some Judy fans' negative comments on Deanna Durbin seemed unique to me.

Have you, or anyone else, ever noticed this?

Yes, It is almost like they are trying to defend her because they know Deanna is quite wonderful!

I have never had the privilege to see the short, but I have heard the music from it! I love the duet the sing (well it's more like a duel than a duet!) "Opera Vs. Jazz". It makes me laugh because I think of later, even now because for fans it is still opera vs. jazz. Except for people like me, sometimes I want opera, but sometimes I like my jazz.

The reason they were on my list is because 1) Judy had a lot of personal problems. 2) DD has like no personal problems, but some people underestimate her talent!

I love them both, although maybe DD a little bit more. But still I adore Judy!

In her time DD was the highest paid female star in the WORLD, and the highest paid WOMAN in the U.S.

I don't know what the reasons were behind the Durbin bashing by some Judy fans, but I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who noticed it. Maybe it's because Deanna and Judy were "in competition" at one time and Deanna was the first one to become a star? Who knows?

Anyway, if you can access Youtube, you can see Every Sunday here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NbyPCZhzaE8

I agree that Deanna and Judy were both great!

I'd say Judy Holiday....I just love her in all her films. People think she was a ditz but she was far from that.

But on the other hand...I will not defend James Dean.....sorry film fans....to me he was no big deal.

There's a new book out, "The Star Machine" by Jeanine Basinger. She spends a chapter on DD and the relationship between Judy and Deanna. You might recognize Jeanine because she appears quite often on star bio's.

You're welcome. You can see many other clips of Deanna there, too.

Several of her films (MAD ABOUT MUSIC, NICE GIRL? THE AMAZING MRS. HOLLIDAY, CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY, etc.) have also been posted, but in 8-10 minute clips to fit Youtube's format. The sound is out of sync on some of these clips, but it's still nice to have the movies posted for viewing.

I like Basinger's book a lot. (After hearing about the chapter on Deanna Durbin and her comments on other stars I like, I finally managed to locate a copy.) The style is very entertaining and readable and she makes some fascinating comments and comparisons in her discussions of classic stars and how they dealt with "The Star Machine."

But, if what I've read about Durbin's career is accurate, Basinger makes several errors in her summary of Deanna's career, such as stating she was under contract to MGM when Every Sunday was filmed, and was under contract to Metro in late 1936. (She'd already been signed by Universal in June '36.)

>Had it not been for the House Un-American Activities Committee I am convinced that when we post one of those many threads on who we think (in regards to female actors) was better than someone else...Ms Hunter would have been in the mix.

I politely disagree. I think she was rather blah and not very outstanding or even noticeable. She was in 134 movies and TV shows, including all during the ?40s and ?50s. She was ok, but she just wasn?t outstanding. Not many people remember her name because she was just ok but no more than that. Neither the US House nor Senate has anything to do with who we remember and think are good actresses. There are a lot of people around this place who go bonkers over Louise Brooks, and she made only 26 films. She ruined her career by being too difficult to get along with, but people remember her in her silent films because she was an outstanding personality. The same with Clara Bow. She never made many sound films, and only a few of her silent films survive, but she was so outstanding, she?s on of the top actresses we all remember.

Yeah. I don't know if I'd go that far either. I'll say this; there was a noticeable difference in between her 40's stuff and "Streetcar". Of course she was playing the "straight man" to two colorful characters. Supposedly, she did a lot of "Playhouse 90" and other things during that period that point to her being a much better actress than we saw in her 40's stuff. In any case, here is a link to an extensive interview with Kim in which she discusses HUAC both at length and candidly. She also, in this clip, discusses "Streetcar". This had to be shortly before her death, because I believe she passed before Brando.

Who's hating who? I can say "Dracula" is one of my favorite flicks of all time. Dwight Frye upstaged just about everyone in every movie he was in. Although, in "Bride of", Una O'Conner just might've "out Frye'd" him.

And Fred, you're welcome. Her take is pretty informative.

Ok, I watched the interview.

Kim Hunter was never called before the House Committee to testify. The House Committee had nothing to do with her career.

Kim Hunter reminds me of Teresa Wright. Teresa was cute, she was a good actress, she was in several films early in her career, but almost nobody can remember her name today. She was very good but not outstanding. She made about a dozen films then she went into TV work like Kim Hunter did, but she missed several years where she made no films or TV shows:

Teresa Wright started in films in 1941, but she didn?t make any films or TV shows in 1945, 1949, 1951, 1961, 1963, 1967, 1968, 1970, 1971.

While during that same time Kim Hunter started in films in 1943, and she didn?t make any films or TV shows in 1947 and 1948 (before the ?blacklist? started) and in 1954, 1967, 1969.

So the only so-called ?blacklist year" she didn?t make any films or TV shows was 1954, but she was pregnant in that year and had a son in 1954. I don?t see any time that she was actually ?blacklisted?. She was more or less on the level with Teresa Wright, but she made many more films and TV shows in the ?50s than Teresa Wright did.

When some average actors couldn't get a lot of work in the 1950s, because they weren't in demand by the public, some of them blamed it on "the blacklist", whereas in reality, they just weren't in demand and were of little or no interest to the public or the studios.

If I may make a suggestion and anyone hasn't yet read " A Life" by Elia Kazan it is his own autobio and he speaks of Kim and Garfield and F.Tone and so many stars and director and producers of yesterday. It's a fascinating read of over eight hundred pages and brutishly honest. He speaks of HUAC and how he came to do the unspeakable and the circus around the cutting of scenes from "Streeetcar" and turmoil around "waterfront and Viva Zapata and so much more.

He was a brilliant director.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> Kim Hunter reminds me of Teresa Wright. Teresa was cute, she was a good actress, she was in several films early in her career, but almost nobody can remember her name today. She was very good but not outstanding.

Please don't compare KH to TW! She was at least maybe a little better than that (I haven't seen too much of KH) But I have seen plenty of TW! And she annoys the heck out of me! In "The Best Years Of Our Lives" I yelled to Dana "to get away before it was too late!". In "Shadow Of A Doubt" I screamed at Uncle Charlie "to kill her quick and put us out of our misery!". I am sorry to her fans, but I can't stand TW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol, am I going to have to defend cute, little, sweet, adorable Teresa Wright?

I read that Deanna had a deformed right arm, is that true?

RE Jeannine's book: I wish I had noted all the errors in it. One that stuck out was her description of a scene in Witness For The Prosecution in which she says Tyrone followed his pray to the movie theatre. Not so.

Basinger was very pithy and funny at times and I appreciated her appreciation for Irene Dunne, June Allyson, and Jean Arthur, and beautiful Barbara Lawrence who never made it big but should have.

Fred C. Yeah, pretty informative interview. She as much as says that the "blacklist" had no effect on the "NY STAGE ACTORS" of the time. That was coming from someone who has always been "identified" as defeated by HUAC. She doesn't defend HUAC, nor am I. But her interview puts it in remarkably "human terms"......ie, "We filed a petition", and so on. Definitely worth a look for others that need HUAC put in "people" terms.....as in you and me. Good stuff.

P.S. Fred....you oughta show that clip to the naive that believe all documentaries are "unopinionated". BTW, plenty more great interviews at that site. Go further, man, you'd love it, I think.

I'm wondering if Patricia Neal can be fit into the Teresa Wright/Kim Hunter discussion. Not that she needs defending.