Sign in to follow this  
ILoveRayMilland

People You MUST Defend!

67 posts in this topic

It was Deanna's left arm, not her right, that was slightly crooked. Most of the material I've seen says that this was due to a broken arm injury she had as a very young child that never healed properly, but some say it was a birth defect.

Among the errors Basinger makes in her chapter on Deanna are her statement that Deanna was under contract to MGM in late 1936 (she'd been signed by Universal in June of that year before EVERY SUNDAY was shot), that MGM gave "Edna May Durbin" her stage name of "Deanna" (she didn't get it until after she'd signed with Universal), that the working title of Deanna's 1943 film THE AMAZING MRS. HOLLIDAY was FOREVER YOUNG (it was FOREVER YOURS) and that Jane Powell was originally under contract to Universal but later signed with MGM. (Jane was always under contract to MGM, from 1943 until 1955, but MGM loaned her out to United Artists for her first two films, SONG OF THE OPEN ROAD and DELIGHTFULLY DANGEROUS.)

I remember the comment about the WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION scene you mentioned, I also remember Basinger saying on one page that there were 14 ANDY HARDY films produced, and, a couple of pages later, saying 16 were produced.

But, these errors are relatively minor ones. I still like the book a lot and would recommend it highly to film fans. I agree that it was nice to see talented and significant performers like Durbin, Tyrone Power, Irene Dunne, Jean Arthur, Errol Flynn and Betty Hutton getting some well-deserved and long overdue recognition. Also, with the exception of her write-up on Abbott and Costello (who seem to have really scared Basinger when she was a child), I appreciated that Basinger treated her subjects with real affection as well as admiration. I also liked the way she put their lives and careers into the context of how each subject handled the "star machine" process.

"That is So sad! anti-Communist stuff ruined a lot of lives! Anne Revere was blacklisted! Although she had time to do many great roles before that time!"

Umm, it was the communist stuff that not only ruined a lot of lives, but ENDED them - around 100 MILLION in the 20th century. Somehow being blacklisted seems like a small thing by comparison, esp. when you acknowledge that many of the listees were in fact communist.

Btw, I love Anne Revere. An amazing actress. Damn shame she was blacklisted, but looking back at the era and the historical circumstances (which practically none of the blacklist boo-hooers ever do), communism WAS a huge deal. Something about nuclear weapons and conquering all those european countries.

Do they still make history books that movie buffs can read?

>Do they still make history books that movie buffs can read?

No they don't. You've got to go back to the original sources, newspaper articles, old magzine articles, old books, etc.

I've got some old Newsweeks and US News and World Reports that say in regular news reports of the era that the House Committee learned during its 1947 hearings that Communists were the ones who started the "blacklists". These are 1947 issues of the magazines that were published long before the counter-blacklists started in the '50s. The Communists would get together in their regular meetings and decide who could and could not work on certain film projects. This is one reason they later became so hated by so many workers and actors in Hollywood. They were the original conspirators. They were the ones who blacklisted liberals and conservatives. They were the ones who thought they could "take over" Hollywood for Uncle Joe. And they finally got their butts whipped by the very people they originally blacklisted.

The super-fabulous Gale Sondergaard also suffered because of the Communist witch hunt. After 1949, she didn't appear in another film until 1969!

I know Communism was (and is) a HORRIBLE thing! They were trying to protect our country! BUT I do think that some of the stuff they did got OUT OF HAND!!!

I am torn between the black-listed and the black-lister witnesses! I think many on both sides were RIGHT! but it is the few who were in fact Communists that made (or almost made!) all the hearings worth it!

Message was edited by: ILoveRayMilland

>but it is the few who were in fact Communists that made (or almost made!) the whole witch-hunt worth it!

There was no "witch hunt".

There was no "witch hunt".

And I'm sure you believe waterboarding isn't torture, and that all the "reasons" Bush/Cheney & Co. cited to send the boys into Iraq (4000 dead, and counting) were valid.

Hey, lets not let this thread fall into politics!

(It's the weirdest thing! My threads always seem to get into politics!!!)

I am tempted to reply to you, but I don't want to fuel the politics!!!!!

"Hey, let's not let this thread fall into politics!"

Shucks, that's where I wanted to go.

I'll save it for a Merian C. Cooper post somewhere (great guy, btw).

I will say, however, that most people avoid history with the same alacrity they do black and white movies or letterboxing.

And thank Fred for that bit on the old Newsweeks. Made me laugh and made my day.

It's the latter for me -- to my dying breath.>

I've seen a lot of Timothy Carey talk lately. Is the movie he wrote, directed and starred in, *The World's Greatest Sinner* (1962) ever shown anywhere anymore? I know it's not on dvd; did it get a vhs release?

Whoa, if I hear another thing about "Beyond The Sea" I am going to be very angry.

Bobby Darin is the person I feel most compelled to defend and that movie just angers me, so what if much of it is true...the thought of it still makes me MAD! (I have never seen the movie it has more swearing then I care to see, but I have heard quite a bit about the plot.)

I know this is VERY random, but I was just reading something and they thought Bobby Darin's life was exactly like the movie...so I had to vent.

If I ever seen Kevin Spacey...beware! LOL!

One of my best friends developed and produced BEYOND THE SEA, and it wasn't the film he had envisioned and tried to get made over a sixteen-year-period. While the circumstances of Darin's life as depicted in the film are largely accurate, the dramatic construction was re-worked by Spacey into something all-but unrecognizable. I think I probably read every single draft of the script, and it's a shame that my friend's vision didn't reach the screen (I think you'd have been a lot less aggrieved by it than by Spacey's version).

> {quote:title=ILoveRayMilland wrote:}{quote}

> I know Communism was (and is) a HORRIBLE thing! They were trying to protect our country! BUT I do think that some of the stuff they did got OUT OF HAND!!!

>

> I am torn between the black-listed and the black-lister witnesses! I think many on both sides were RIGHT! but it is the few who were in fact Communists that made (or almost made!) all the hearings worth it!

>

> Message was edited by: ILoveRayMilland

ILRM:

For a fair explanation of what happened in Hollywood during that time, I would recommend to you the following book:

Hollywood Party: How Communism Seduced the American Film Industry in the 1930s and 1940s, by Kenneth Lloyd Billingsley. You'll find it a most interesting read, and it will confirm much of what Fred told you in an earlier post.

I feel I must always defend Tyrone Power against several charges. One is that he was a bad actor, which he was not, and #2, anything in Hector Arce's book. I am not in any way saying that Power wasn't bisexual or that he didn't experiment as so many of them did. Anyone who looks like that is bound to get hit on by both sexes, and he had problems saying no to people. So he said yes. Probably all the time. But Arce's book is ridiculous. He changes and leaves out things in order to fit his theories and then uses anonymus sources. The Guiles book is better, but both of them are very incomplete biographies.

What really gets me is that getting a story 20, 30, 40 years after it happened is going to mean plain and simple that it's a) inaccurate and B) exaggerated. I've told this story before - someting happened in my office that I witnessed. Fifteen minutes later, the incident had been so blown out of proportion it involved the FBI! Which it never did. Just today my aunt told my sister that my mother didn't go to college in Washington because she was in love with my father and didn't want to leave him. Now, this woman has all of her marbles, but my mother never met my father until she was out of college. Rewriting history and getting things wrong is what happens 60 years later.

There are many people who would like to say they slept with a Hollywood hunk or hunkette or that so and so made a pass. Once the person is dead, they're free to say it. And there's always some moron who will print it as fact. It's like having Elvis' baby or living with him over a bowling alley in 1979.

Similar gay charges have now been levied against everyone - Clark Gable, Gary Cooper, Robert Taylor, Tyrone Power, Errol Flynn, Spencer Tracy yada yada yada. Flynn has definitely been the most maligned. It's such a shame to me that once someone is dead, people are free to say anything they want about them without fear of a lawsuit.