Sign in to follow this  
ILoveRayMilland

People You MUST Defend!

67 posts in this topic

They are certain people I feel I MUST defend....their acting, there lives, and just them.

Are there any people you feel you MUST defend? There is a difference between loving a person and needing to defend them. There are people I love, but they don't need to be defended (except in certain circumstances.) Such as William Powell. Most people love him and rightly so. He was a great actor and a great person. BUT there are people I am compelled to defend. Such as..................

Frank Sinatra

Ingrid Bergman

Bobby Darin

Judy Garland

And not as much, but still............

Deanna Durbin

Ray Milland

Dana Andrews

I have more I will write later. How about you guys?

*Timothy Carey*: Scene-stealing, over-emoting, lunatic vs. improvisational surrealist acting genius.

It's the latter for me -- to my dying breath.

Well, the obvious ones for me -

Gary Cooper - from charges of being 'stiff'...and also from nasty remarks about his affair with Patricia Neal.

Rudolph Valentino - from charges of being a bad actor

Errol Flynn - from charges that he was a) gay, and B) a Nazi sympathizer.

> Errol Flynn - from charges that he was a) gay, and B) a Nazi sympathizer.

You forgot about him "killing" somebody! It annoys me that some people have nothing better to do, but make up rumors about dead people who can't defend themselves!!!!!!

The ones from my list below that I feel I must defend the most are Frank Sinatra and Bobby Darin.

They both need a lot of defending! But they both deserved to be defended!

I've never believed any of that stuff about Flynn. Killed somebody? I've never even heard that one! I guess they get even better all the time.

They definitely do! I saw that one in of all places....The Guiness Book Of World Records

I don't remember what year, but it was recent. The book had this little quiz to see how well you "knew" Hollywood. It was a match-up game with different actors (all modern, except for Errol) and "BAD" things they did. At the end it said, "Actually Errol Flynn did all these things, but was never aquitted because the studio heads covered it up."

Boy did that make me mad! I am not necessarily a Flynn champion of causes, but I do get angry when people publish rumors as "truth"!

Yeah...I've never heard the charges that Errol Flynn killed anyone....and I've read pretty much every book written about the man in English.

Maybe you are thinking of the rape trial?

I don't even bother defending that one, because no one forced that girl to sneak onto his boat for that party and lie about her age....and it was pretty apparent that she saw her proximity to Flynn and his stardom and 'deep pockets' as an opportunity to grab her 5 minutes of fame...and perhaps a stack of money.

What did she say after he was acquitted? "Well (*shrug*), there was no harm done."

A girl who was really raped would have never said that.

*Kim Hunter*

Caught up in McCarthy's blacklist....I can only dream what kind of fanastic film career she could have hadhad this not happened to her.

Message was edited by: DTsWereMe

> {quote:title=DTsWereMe wrote:}{quote}

> *Kim Hunter*

>

> Caught up in McCarthy's blacklist....I can only dream what kind of fanastic film career she could have hadhad this not happened to her.

>

> Message was edited by: DTsWereMe

I don't remember what movie she was in, but I know I saw her! Refresh me will ya?

Well, people often confuse McCarthy and the HUAC, forgetting that McCarthy was in the Senate and the "H" in HUAC means "House."

Yes.

Kim Hunter was nice, but she made almost twice as many films and TV shows as Claude Rains, but she is much less than 1/2 as well known as he is:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001375/

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001647/

She made 4 times as many movies and TV shows as Johnny Weissmuller and James Dean, but she?s not 1/4 as well known as they are:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0919321/

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000015/

True, but she did win an Oscar, something the others did not (although in Rains case, he should have).

I don't even bother defending that one, because no one forced that girl to sneak onto his boat for that party and lie about her age....and it was pretty apparent that she saw her proximity to Flynn and his stardom and 'deep pockets' as an opportunity to grab her 5 minutes of fame...and perhaps a stack of money.

What did she say after he was acquitted? "Well (*shrug*), there was no harm done."

A girl who was really raped would have never said that.

The prosecution's case collapsed when Flynn's defense attorney, Jerry Giesler, pointed out that "victim" Peggy laRue Satterlee's testimony that the moon shone through the porthole of Flynn's cabin couldn't have happened, since the yacht, Zaca, was berthed in such a way that the cabin faced away from the moon's position on the night in question.

Rich,

I spoke colloquially...I should merely have made a reference to McCarthyism rather than the Senator. You are absolutely correct.

Fred,

No doubt Ms Hunter did enjoy a great career....that is why I chose "fantastic" as my adjective. Had it not been for the House Un-American Activities Committee I am convinced that when we post one of those many threads on who we think (in regards to female actors) was better than someone else...Ms Hunter would have been in the mix.

Kim was also in the early Val Lewton film "Seventh Victim" and was David Nivens earthly love in "Stairway To Heaven". I'm pretty sure that after the HUAC thing, she stayed pretty busy on stage, and I believe she married well (meaning happily as well as securely). There has always been some debate as to who made the better Blanche; Vivien or Jessica Tandy.

There was only one Stella.

The British title for Stairway to Heaven (1946) was A Matter of Life and Death. (I looked it up). I'd name that movie but it would be cheating, having looked it up,lol. But thanks, Lafitte, I enjoyed finding that out. :)

>The British title for Stairway to Heaven (1946) was A Matter of Life and Death.

I was thinking of an earlier one, Rose Marie (1936) the Eddy-MacDonald movie. I checked imdb and it indicates that it was Nivens for that movie. Everything prior to that were uncredited roles so this might have been his first, thus the ess. RO, in one his intros notes the ess in the credits and then said that from then on it was changed to Niven---forever more. It seems strange he would once again be Nivens 10 years later. Oh well ...