Sign in to follow this  
LawrenceA

July Schedule is up

22 posts in this topic

I never expected to see Funny GamesDreamscapeand Mandingo on TCM, let alone in the same month.

29 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I never expected to see Funny GamesDreamscapeand Mandingo on TCM, let alone in the same month.

Funny Games was shown during the Story of Film: an Odyssey presentation a few years ago.

Steve McQueen is okay I guess, I don't dislike him, but he doesn't tend to be in movies that interest me.  I do like The Thomas Crown Affair and The Blob.  

The Spotlight theme states "50 states in 50 movies." I'm waiting to see what the Oregon movie will be.  

Just perusing the schedule...

7/1 is a daytime tribute to Olivia de Havilland. I think it's funny that they scheduled The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, that's such a nothing role for her.  At first, I couldn't figure out why Armored Car Robbery was scheduled as that didn't seem like the type of movie de Havilland would appear in, then I figured out that 7/1 was a Sunday and that was the Noir Alley series entry.  Of all the de Havilland films, Devotion sounds interesting.  It co-stars Ida Lupino. 

7/2 appears to be a Joan Blondell theme.  I'll have to read through all the description to see which ones to record.  Right now Stage Struck and The Traveling Saleslady look interesting. 

7/3 Musicals.  Kissin' Cousins. These Elvis movies are so absurd, but I really like Viva Las Vegas and Jailhouse Rock, we'll see what happens with this one.  lol. 

7/3 Meet the People.  I want to see this Lucille Ball/Dick Powell film again.  I think this movie is airing another month too. 

7/4 Star Spangled Rhythm. I've never heard of this film and it features many of Paramount's biggest stars.

7/7 Party Girl.  I had this film recorded at one point but never watched it.  I don't think it's on my DVR. 

7/8 Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.  I've never seen this movie.  For the longest time I thought it was a Disney movie, until I found out it wasn't.

7/10 Twenty Plus Two.  The plot of this movie sounds intriguing and I like Jeanne Crain.

7/11 Zero Hour! The plot of this film sounds interesting.

7/12 Steve McQueen movies: Soldier in the Rain, I'm curious about the pairing of McQueen with Jackie Gleason.  Baby, the Rain Must Fall,  I love the title, and I like Lee Remick.  The synopsis also sounds interesting. The Horizontal Lieutenant, this film pairs up Tim Hutton and Paula Prentiss.  I've seen two films in the last couple of weeks featuring Hutton and Prentiss and they make a good duo. 

7/13 You Belong to Me,  This is a Barbara Stanwyck film that I haven't seen.  Doctor Monica, this film sounds like it could be interesting.

7/16 Barbara Stanwyck birthday tribute. These are the ones I haven't seen yet: The Woman in Red, These Wilder Years, Ever in my Heart, Lady of Burlesque. 

I kind of ran of of things that piqued my interest.  The Oregon film is Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.  That's a decent film, so I guess I'm satisfied with that selection.  I wish that they had scheduled Love and the Proper Stranger for the Steve McQueen SOTM.  I'd like to see that film again.

Oh well.  Next month we should find out who the SUTS selections are for 2018. 

3 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Of all the de Havilland films, Devotion sounds interesting.  It co-stars Ida Lupino. 

Devotion is a good film,  even if it is very unfaithful to history.   Olivia and Ida give fine performances.

• Like 2

I'm pleased they're doing a night of Republic films on the 27th. Hopefully Martin Scorsese will help introduce these four titles. They've all been beautifully restored by Paramount and there is a retrospective at MoMA in August.

Screen Shot 2018-04-21 at 10.44.15 AM.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

I wish that they had scheduled Love and the Proper Stranger for the Steve McQueen SOTM.  I'd like to see that film again.

Oh well.  Next month we should find out who the SUTS selections are for 2018. 

I also wish Love With The Proper Stranger was scheduled. I've been wanting to see it for awhile.

I can't believe we are so close to finding out who the SUTS selections are. (Where has the time gone?) Maybe Dorothy Malone, John Gavin, or Robert Vaughn will be selected, and the Academy will (hopefully) realize what a huge mistake they made.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

7/11 Zero Hour! The plot of this film sounds interesting.

It's the movie whose plot was used for Airplane! with Dana Andrews playing the Ted Striker role.

It's actually a good movie, except that everybody's seen Airplane! first so it can be a bit hard to take Zero Hour! seriously.

53 minutes ago, Fedya said:

It's the movie whose plot was used for Airplane! with Dana Andrews playing the Ted Striker role.

It's actually a good movie, except that everybody's seen Airplane! first so it can be a bit hard to take Zero Hour! seriously.

"Zero Hour" was based on a 1956 Canadian teleplay by Arthur Hailey, who later wrote the 1960s best-selling novel "Airport."

Image result for arthur hailey images

• Thanks 1

And Hotel, which I thought of with the current Starbucks kerfuffle.

(If memory serves, the scene in question has the labor union sending a black couple to the hotel [in New Orleans] specifically to create a news story when the couple's bad treatment is revealed.)

10 minutes ago, Fedya said:

And Hotel, which I thought of with the current Starbucks kerfuffle.

(If memory serves, the scene in question has the labor union sending a black couple to the hotel [in New Orleans] specifically to create a news story when the couple's bad treatment is revealed.)

And that was interesting timing because "Hotel" was released in 1967 -- almost three years after LBJ signed the Civil Rights Act into law.

July 1 is a Sunday. Anyone remember TCM having birthday tributes on the weekend? I can't. {And don't just say, "OH, it's Livvy so that's ok.", please}

27 minutes ago, cinemanut said:

July 1 is a Sunday. Anyone remember TCM having birthday tributes on the weekend? I can't. {And don't just say, "OH, it's Livvy so that's ok.", please}

Are you saying they have their favorites?

I still can't get over the fact there was no tribute for Kirk Douglas on his 100th birthday. 

• Thanks 1

Lots of great classics in July, including my all-time favorite film: Anthony Adverse.

And a rather sweet animal film makes an appearance:

Killer-shrew-1-1.jpg

Lucille Ball got a SUTS salute on her centenary, which was a Saturday.

Another year without a Canada Day celebration on July 1.   A missed opportunity to showcase some of the dozens of big stars and directors who were born in Canada.

I want to see The Sand Pebbles.  Of the three 1966 Best picture nominees I haven't seen, it sounds like the most interesting.  Well it's an action movie, and it has Steve McQueen, and that sound better than two dated comedies.  (Caine is a good actor, of course, but he's also been in rotten movies.)

Pretty much ever actor has been in rotten movies.

Well, maybe not Maria Falconetti.