Sign in to follow this  
Moorman

The Suspect 1944

4 posts in this topic

If there is already a thread about this film, my bad. I'm a HUGE Charles Laughton fan. I will reveal why in another post, lol.  I didn't know what to expect when i decided to watch this.  I'm glad i did decide to watch this.  I will not give the ending of the film but will discuss the basis of the plot. 

Laughton plays a successful and highly regarded business man in London ( Phillip Marshall.) He is married to a shrewish woman he can't stand.  A younger lady comes to his office one day looking for work. They develop and maintain a platonic relationship but actually fall in love.  Marshall wants a divorce but his wife refuses. Marshall's wife finds out about the other woman and threatens to expose the scandal.  Marshall murder's her to stop the exposure.  The tension then builds up for the rest of the film.

Many would probably consider this a B level film noir. I rank it as a very underrated A level film noir.  The superb acting of Laughton by itself raises this film to that level.  Superbly shot and wonderfully acted by every main character, its a film worth having in your personal film collection.  Its not available at Amazon, but can be found at some smaller mom and pop retailers online.  I rank this a solid 8 out of 10.

• Like 1

It's definitely an "A" film. Universal's musical comedies and horror films of the mid-40s were typically "B" films. But in this case, we have a high profile director (Robert Siodmak) and a top-notch cast. 

Siodmak was long-time friends with Laughton and guides the actor to give one of his best motion picture performances in THE SUSPECT. Siodmak also enjoyed working with leading lady Ella Raines and had already directed her in PHANTOM LADY. A year later they would collaborate on another "A" noir at Universal, THE STRANGE AFFAIR OF UNCLE HARRY with George Sanders.

I recently reviewed THE SUSPECT in the essentials thread as part of a monthly focus on Siodmak. I agree with you that this film should be more widely known. The ending seems like something out of Columbo.

• Like 1

I'm gonna try and find your essentials thread review about this film.  I knew NOTHING about Siodmak before seeing this film.  I'm gonna check out The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry based on watching The Suspect.  I might have found me another director, lol.  Glad to know that this is a respected film. We both agree that it should be more widely known.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moorman said:

I'm gonna try and find your essentials thread review about this film.  I knew NOTHING about Siodmak before seeing this film.  I'm gonna check out The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry based on watching The Suspect.  I might have found me another director, lol.  Glad to know that this is a respected film. We both agree that it should be more widely known.

Here's the link for that thread. You might have to scroll down a bit. I reviewed it the first Saturday in April:

http://forums.tcm.com/topic/105458-topbilled’s-essentials/?page=20

• Like 1