hayleyperrin

*A to Z of actresses and actors*:)

23,133 posts in this topic

W.......Wayne, John. An Academy Award winning actor, who personified the American hero, through his many westerns and adventure films. Avery kind person in real life, who was loved by all who knew him!

Good Job, finding the X thing! I though we were going to have to resort to Xavier Cugat!

Y........Young, Loretta. Great actress who was famous for many roles especially her sweet, girl next door roles. Such as in "The Farmers Daughter" and "The Bishops Wife".

Z - EFRIM ZIMBALIST, JR.

They(you know "they", whoever "they" are") tackily dubbed him the Jewish

Cary Grant. :(

I, personally, liked him. Unfortunately, the movie parts he was given were not

that great.

He,however, found his "calling" in television series: F.B.I and 77 SUNSET STRIP

Message was edited by: Bargar

Astor, Mary ~ superb character actress who started in silents with John Barrymore, and

continued with Bogart in Maltese Falcon, then her Oscar winner as spoiled pianist Sondra Kovak

in "The Great Lie" with Bette Davis, till her last film "Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte" again with Davis, she excelled in mother roles in the forties, her best being Lizabeth Scott's mom in Desert Fury...

BELITA...Ice skating star from England who tore up the screen in several Hollywood poverty row films that were quite good. Her career was short but interesting...Mid Forties.

Costello, Lou - funny half of forties comedy team Bud Abbott and Lou Costello, top box office draws during WWII in films like Hold That Ghost and Africa Screams, then their MEET series

Abbott and Costello Meet THE INVISIBLE MAN, THE KILLER ,BORIS KARLOFF, CAPTAIN KIDD

DR. JECKYL AND MR. HYDE....

D.......Dean, James. A great actor from the mid-fifties. His career was cut short by a tragic car accident after only three films:

"East Of Eden"

"Rebel Without A Cause"

"Giant"

He was nominated for an Oscar for the first and last film, becoming the first actor to be nominated after he died.

He is always listed on "the best actor" lists. For only making three films that is quite a feat!

james%20dean%2011x14%20canvas%20giant.jpg

E - JACK ELAM

Great character actor: vicious killer, gruesome sidekick, comical character. Name it

he did it. I read that the immoveable eye was caused by a pencil-jabbing when he

was 12 yrs. old. (OUCH!)

Fleming, Rhonda - gorgeous red-haired actress, who has the most beautiful profile in the business

received an Oscar nomination the first time she appeared on the screen in Hitchcock's

Spellbound - and played one of the victims in The Spiral Staircase...

H - REX HARRISON

Suave, debonair, versatile.

Fav films - BLITHE SPIRIT, UNFAITHFULLY YOURS, THE KING OF SIAM,

and, of course, MY FAIR LADY!!

"The Great Lie" with Bette Davis, till her last film "Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte" again with Davis, she excelled in mother roles in the forties, her best being Lizabeth Scott's mom in Desert Fury..."

Just loved you mentioning Lizabeth Scott on the thread. Astor & Scott did a great job in this great color noir flick. Though you're a rebel not wanting to do last names. Now, me as a rule follower:

Johnson, Van -

Freckled faced, red haired attractive-looking 1940's boy-next-door. Light comedies & musicals and wonderful diversion while the men were away serving in the war. Enjoyed him in "Easy to Wed" "Command Decision" "The Good Ol' Summertime" and "A Guy Named Joe" among other films.

Kerr, Deborah..British beauty known for her lady- like roles in Prisoner Of Zenda and the Mother Superior in Black Narcissus, went against type as the nynphomaniac in From Here To Eternity

her most challenging role was as the governess in The Innocents, her performance was so convincing , one wondered if the children were guilty, or the governess was slightly dotty...

Lake, Veronica - gorgeous blonde very popular during WW2 -wore her long blonde hair falling over one eye which proved to be very sexy,,starred in wonderful noirs with Alan Ladd also made top-notch comedy I Married a Witch...Best performance in war drama So Proudly We Hale as

nurse who blows herself up to save platoon..

M.....Milland, Ray. An AMAZING actor who is too often under-rated, or simply remembered for his "horror" films. Won an Best Actor Oscar in 1945 for "The Lost Weekend". Also gave great performances in "The Big Clock", "The Major And The Minor", "Three Smart Girls", and too many more to count!!!!

RayMilland.jpg

Okay, I know that picture is kind of weird, but it was the best I could find!

note to I Love Ray Milland, check out film Alias Nick Beal, to see superb performance by Milland

as the Devil, who plays his part to show Satan not evil, just mis-understood...

Nash,J. Carroll - great character actor seen in many films playing ethnic types. played Garfield's father in Humoresque..

Powell, Dick - Perennial juvenile in Warners' musicals of the '30s (42nd Street, Golddiggers of 1933, Footlight Parade, etc.) transformed into hard-boiled gumshoe in the '40s (Murder My Sweet, Johnny O'Clock, etc.) transformed again into TV producer/host in the '50s.

Not to forget 'Christmas in July' (1940) - "It isn't the coffee, it's the bunk!"

"Qualen,John" - One of the best and most familiar character actors of the first four decades of sound films, although few who knew his face also knew his name. Usually plays a Swede in films like (His Girl Friday, The Grapes of Wrath, The Searchers, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance,The Shepherd of the Hills and Out of the Fog )

With over 175 films.

Sampson, Will

Best remembered as Chief in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" usually playing American Indians in films like "The Outlaw Josey Wales", "Buffalo Bill and the Indians" "Poltergeist II: The Other Side" and "Firewalker"

He was A Native American actor of the Creek Nation. But will always be remembered as The Chief in Cuckoo's Nest, with his line: Mmmmmm, Juicy Fruit.