hayleyperrin

*A to Z of actresses and actors*:)

37,117 posts in this topic

Patrick, Gail: beautiful second lead in light comedies of '30's and '40's. Always played the brittle other woman or sarcastic secretary. When her career slowed down, she opened a high-end children's shop in Beverly Hills, where she dressed some of filmdom's high profile offspring. Then she produced the Perry Mason television series in the late '50's into the sixties.

She's best known for her work in two films: MY FAVORITE WIFE and STAGEDOOR, in both of which, she played essentially the same character

She died in 1980, at the age of 69.

*Ruman,Sig*:Wonderfully talented German-born actor, capable of tremendous comedic and dramatic performances.Became a favorite of the Marx Brothers, made 3 films with them. Also a played in all kinds of roles , Houdini, Border Incident and Stalag 17 as Schulz. Made over 120 films before passing in 1967 at the age of 83.

Dorothy Lamour was famous long before HURRICANE. She starred in JUNGLE PRINCESS and HER JUNGLE LOVE three or four years before HURRICANE! She stayed in her sarong thru BEYOND THE BLUE HORIZON (1940).

Olivier was certainly a fine actor, but sir john guilgud was considered the finest shakespearean actor "from the neck up". sir ralph richardson was a close second. i saw guilgud and richardson in SCHOOL FOR SCANDAL at the national theatre in d.c. in the early 60s, richardsons wife played one of the roles and was the most beautiful woman i had seen to that date!

Scott, Elizabeth - husky voiced beauty who made a lot of men

happy with her sultry good looks - Bogie captured her essence

when he called he "Cinderella with a husky voice"

Born Emma Matzo she was of Slavic extraction..and gave her

best performance in little known film called "Stolen Face"

where she played two roles, an American pianist, and a

Cocney thief...

TAYLOR, WILLIAM DESMOND

One of the best known directors of the 20's, he is well known today for his unsolved murder in 1922. Many of his young, attractive young stars were under suspicion for quite some time, but no one was ever charged.

A rumor has it that a star of the 20's, Patricia Palmer, confessed to the murder on her deathbed.

UMEKI, MIYOSHI...Petite Japanese singer, actress who came to the USA after WW11. She sang with a Jazz band, appeared on television for a season on the Arthur Godfrey Show, and then appeared in several major American films, among which was SAYONARA. She played opposite Red Buttons in the secondary leads, as the couple doomed to suffer racial prejudice. For their efforts, they walked off with the best supporting actor and actress Academy Awards for 1955, and she made her mark as the first Asian to win the award.

She only made a few more films, did a little TV work (as the housekeeper in The Courtship of Eddie's Father), and retired to raise her family. She died of Cancer at the age of 78.

Vance, Vivien - superb comedy star who began her career on Broadway

and originated the role of Olive Lashbrook in Voice of the Turtle--

sang in many operettas and came into her own when she was cast

as Ethyl Mertz on I Love Lucy...

WILLS, BEVERLY...Almost as funny daughter of the great comedienne Joan Davis. She appeared in a few movies as a child, then as her mother's sister in the popular TV series I MARRIED JOAN. Her biggest film appearance was in SOME LIKE IT HOT, as one of Marilyn Monroe's fellow band-mates.

She died in a house fire in Palm Springs, along with her two children and grandmother...the same house in which Ms.Davis died two years earlier, from a heart attack. A tragic end to a very talented young woman. She was 29.

X. Bushman, Francis. I know that is cheating, but X is a hard one to think of. He started as a silent film star and was my mother's matinee idol. Was nicknamed King of the Movies, till replaced by Clark Gable.

DEE, FRANCES...Beautiful leading lady of the thirties and into the forties. Retired from films when she married equally beautiful Joel McRea, had at least on beautiful child Jody, who did some movie work, and from all reports, had a beautiful life.

Someone in Hollywood got it right.

*Gray, Coleen* Looked great in The Leech Woman ... until she ran out of fluid

*Ireland, John* Played a baddie in both My Darling Clementine and Gunfight at the O.K. Corral