NickAndNora34

NickAndNora34's Disney Movie Journey

153 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, EricJ said:

At least you got to see it with 80's Mickey-marketing--

Actually, I mostly saw bits and pieces of it on Disney's old TV show in the late '50's and through the '60's.  But not in it's entirety and in a theater until '77, after it's appearances in movie houses were making the rounds that year.  And I got wind of it when a preview was shown the night the ex and I went to see STAR WARS.

But too, when I took my kids to see it, they were WAY past "pre-school" age, and already used to hearing most of the music in it around the house anyway, and old enough to understand when I told them it wasn't a Mickey Mouse cartoon before I took them to the theater.  Anyway, they wound up actually enjoying it.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Yeah, look at the painting of the diamond mine and the birch trees in the OP. The artistry is really gorgeous.....I like the "modern" trend going into the 50's that Sleeping Beauty shows artistically, but nothing can beat those 40's watercolors (Dr Martin's inks, actually)

So glad DUMBO is well thought of... it was written in my town, Syracuse NY. Dumbo is "cute" but I'm OK with it-the scenes with his Mother are so heart wrenching, you need that balance.
I love Dumbo, no animators could represent fire and splashing water like Disney.

I cringe that any charactor with a southern accent is automatically perceived as "racist". I know lots of people of all shades that speak like that.
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I cringe that any charactor with a southern accent is automatically perceived as "racist". I know lots of people of all shades that speak like that.

I take it you just mean speaking with a "drawl".  Sure.  Here's a couple that backs you up-----

I worked with a guy, a black guy named Harry, who was (he said) from Mississippi.  WHERE in the state he never said, but I SWEAR, if you closed your eyes and listened to him talk, you too, would swear you were hearing ELVIS PRESLEY talking.  And remember....Elvis too, originally hailed from Ole Miss.  ;)

And another black co-worker fro GEORGIA sounded exactly like JIMMY CARTER! 

Go figure.....

Sepiatone

On 4/30/2018 at 11:11 PM, hamradio said:

Adding a little humor to this thread, about 10 years ago a member posted this and saved it.  (It's still on the internet. :huh:)

Disneyland Memorial **** from The Realist May 1967.

12.jpg

(Word filter are you KIDDING me!?:wacko:)

Wow. Disney didn't sue over this thing?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Wow. Disney didn't sue over this thing?

If they did will lose, parody is protected by the First Amendment plus the Fair use of copyright.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2018 at 3:23 PM, NickAndNora34 said:

I have decided to go back and watch/re-watch all of Disney's animated and live action movies in order by release year (except for Disney Channel Original Movies & straight-to-video sequels), so I thought I would go ahead and start a thread in case anyone is interested and wants to see my reviews and trivia as I progress. If anyone wants to contribute to this, feel free. I'm mainly just doing this, because I think it could be interesting to maybe 1 or 2 people on this site lol. 

Are you having trouble locating any of the films? I've seen Song of the South before, but I cannot find a copy to watch on YouTube.  Are you skipping the ones you cannot locate? I am trying to utilize my own personal collection, the internet and the library. I'm watching Pinocchio right now! 

11 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Are you having trouble locating any of the films? I've seen Song of the South before, but I cannot find a copy to watch on YouTube.  Are you skipping the ones you cannot locate? I am trying to utilize my own personal collection, the internet and the library. I'm watching Pinocchio right now! 

Y'know, I never even would have HEARD of Archive.org, if one of the posters didn't keep finding all his YouTubes and rentals there:

https://archive.org/details/SongOfTheSouth_Disney

29 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Y'know, I never even would have HEARD of Archive.org, if one of the posters didn't keep finding all his YouTubes and rentals there:

https://archive.org/details/SongOfTheSouth_Disney

I've heard of archive.org but always forget about it, because every time I've gone there to look for something, they never have it.  I'll check there to see if they have any of the other Disney movies that I cannot locate.  I've seen Song of the South, it was some Canadian copy that my friend's Grandma procured from somewhere.

13 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I haven't had to skip any so far between my library and my own personal collection. The ones I absolutely cannot find, I'll probably have to skip. I'm still on Reluctant Dragon at the moment...

I'm really enjoying reading through this thread, NickAndNora34!  You and the rest of the folks have made some great observations, and I love reading discussion of classic Disney.  As someone who was born in the mid 80s, I have to say it's these early classics that were on my VCR most of the time.  Ironically, I haven't seen most of the Disney  movies that were actually released during my early years (e.g. Fox and the Hound, The Great Mouse Detective, Oliver and Company).

I myself have revisited some of these classics over the last few years.  One of the most recent was Fantasia, which I watched a little over a year ago on Blu-ray.  Like you, I've always loved the "Sorcerer's Apprentice" and "Dance of the Hours" segments.  "The Night on Bald Mountain" is quite an achievement in itself as well (talk about scary!) and most of the "Nutcracker Suite."  The Chinese mushroom dance portion of that segment is another that is often viewed today as politically incorrect, but I can't hate it.  It's just too cute for words!

But what really struck me for the first time -- and I'm sure the Blu-ray transfer was a major part of this -- was just how gorgeous the live-action first half of the "Toccata and Fugue" segment is.  The musicians are shot in silhouette and illuminated with brilliantly colored light and casting multiple shadows, in effect transformed from live action to simulated animation.  These sequences were shot by the famed cinematographer James Wong Howe.

fantasia-disneyscreencaps.com-582.jpgfantasia-disneyscreencaps.com-718.jpgfantasia-disneyscreencaps.com-559.jpg

• Like 2

I'm still working on my challenge, don't worry. 

Yesterday, I went to Disneyland with my dad and was able to rent a wheelchair to help with getting around due to my ankle surgery, so it was a fun time. It was nice to go on the "Snow White" and "Pinocchio" rides while the movies were fresh in my mind.

On 4/26/2018 at 5:23 PM, NickAndNora34 said:

I have decided to go back and watch/re-watch all of Disney's animated and live action movies in order by release year (except for Disney Channel Original Movies & straight-to-video sequels)

That means you will be watching High School Musical 3: Senior Year but not High School Musical or High School Musical 2.

So I've made it halfway through Fantasia (just after the dinosaur "Rite of Spring" part).  Ugh! As a 10 year old I found this movie incredibly boring.  I thought as a 33 almost 34-year old, perhaps my opinion would have changed.  No. It has not.  This movie is so boring.  The animation is beautiful but that's about it.  The worst scenes are those with the live orchestra.  Ugh! I want to see more animation, less orchestra.  I recognized the conductor in Fantasia from a Bugs Bunny cartoon.  Perhaps if I were more of a classic music fan I would get more out of this film.  

I did enjoy the scenes with Yensid.  I also liked the dinosaur part more after I read that this scene is what eventually inspired the "Primeval World" diorama at Disneyland.  That's one of my favorite parts of the Disneyland Railroad and Disneyland Park. 

Eventually I might purchase this movie if only to complete my collection.  But it's not one that I'd want to go back to, unless I suddenly developed an affinity for classical music. 

I just picked up Snow White, Pinocchio and Bambi at one of my movie haunts-- buy 2 used get 1 for $1.  I ended up getting all three films for about $20--which is a great deal seeing that the Disney films are usually more expensive than regular movies.  I'm blaming the "Disney Vault." 

Does anyone remember the Disney commercials telling you to buy such and such re-released VHS before it goes "back into the vault" ? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Does anyone remember the Disney commercials telling you to buy such and such re-released VHS before it goes "back into the vault" ? 

Don't have to, it's still in effect:  Of a classic list of eleven, two are taken out of the "Vault" every year for one-year limited sales, to keep up their value.  It's been that way on into the days of Blu-ray.

If you hurry, you can still get Bambi, Lion King and Lady & the Tramp on Disney "Signature Blu-ray" collection, with Peter Pan to follow in June.  Think you missed last year's Snow & Pinocchio by now, though, so good thing you found the used.

2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I recognized the conductor in Fantasia from a Bugs Bunny cartoon. 

"Leopold!...Leopold!..."

92f56c08fc3025948e1e29c947d565f7.jpg.588c522a2052bb1986ec0b88915d25d2.jpg

3 hours ago, BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls said:

That means you will be watching High School Musical 3: Senior Year but not High School Musical or High School Musical 2.

And consider yourself not missing much.

Of the direct-videos, there's plenty to skip--Although if there's time enough to watch Mulan II, Pocahontas II: Voyage to a New World, Cinderella III: a Twist in Time (which story was actually taken from one of their Cruise-ship musicals) and Lilo & Stitch 2: Stitch has a Glitch, they're probably the better of the bunch, and the afternoon-cartoon TV pilot Atlantis II: Milo's Return is miles ahead of the flailing hot-mess we got in theaters...Sometimes, as with Tarzan, Hercules and Lilo, a Disney Channel TV spinoff is just the second script-draft the original movie needed.

NickandNora, great thread! I'll be happy to follow along.

Fantasia and Robin Hood are my two favorites, but I also love the 90s classics and the early animated features you just started with. I saw the live-action Beauty and the Beast last year ... but while it was nice to look at, the film was completely missing the magic of the original.

I'm curious what do you think about the digital appearances of these animated films, if anything? Some of the screencaps you posted look fine to me but others look artificial. I know this is a sensitive subject with some hardcore fans who work on restorations, but I myself have not seen many of these films in some years.

3 hours ago, EricJ said:

Don't have to, it's still in effect:  Of a classic list of eleven, two are taken out of the "Vault" every year for one-year limited sales, to keep up their value.  It's been that way on into the days of Blu-ray.

If you hurry, you can still get Bambi, Lion King and Lady & the Tramp on Disney "Signature Blu-ray" collection, with Peter Pan to follow in June.  Think you missed last year's Snow & Pinocchio by now, though, so good thing you found the used.

"Leopold!...Leopold!..."

92f56c08fc3025948e1e29c947d565f7.jpg.588c522a2052bb1986ec0b88915d25d2.jpg

The signature version of Snow White, Pinocchio and Bambi is what I just purchased.  I already have The Lion King and Lady and the Tramp.  My copy of 'Lion King' I think is "The Diamond Collection."  My Lady and the Tramp copy is a 2-disc "50th Anniversary" Platinum Collection.  When I go to the used movie stores, I don't worry so much about which collection they're from, or if it's from the most recent collection, I usually go by price.  Unless the cheapest one has someone else's personal handwriting all over the cover (for some reason, people feel inclined to write their name on the front of the movie case in Sharpie) or something else that makes the copy look crappy.  A real coup for me is if I can get a "used" copy that is still in the original vendor wrapper.  I also already have Peter Pan.  I think that one is also from the Platinum Collection.

Looking over the list of animated Disney films (because I'm missing a lot of the live action and I don't think I necessarily need all of those.  I do have all the Hayley Mills movies however)...

All I need is:

-Fantasia (Even though this movie is incredibly dull, I would need to purchase a copy to have a truly complete collection)

-The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (I had this movie but it was damaged in my basement flood.  So I technically have it, but the case and cover art are all moldy with old sewage and rainwater)

-The Aristocats

-Fox and the Hound

-The Black Cauldron

-Oliver & Company

-The Rescuers Down Under

-Pocahontas & beyond, with the exception of Pixar.

With the exception of Pixar, I think Pocahontas is the last animated Disney film that I saw in the theater.  I don't even think I've seen any of the other films past that one. Except I take that back, I watched The Emperor's New Groove on the bus on a band trip in high school once.

I'm interested in re-visiting (and seeing for the first time) these films, but I draw the line at anything with a kindergarten-aged target audience or anything that is geared toward the teeny bopper crowd.

I'm also interested in seeing The Black Cauldron.  I've heard that it is considered one of Disney's worst films, but it now has taken on a bit of a cult status.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Looking over the list of animated Disney films (because I'm missing a lot of the live action and I don't think I necessarily need all of those.  I do have all the Hayley Mills movies however)...

All I need is:

-Fantasia (Even though this movie is incredibly dull, I would need to purchase a copy to have a truly complete collection)

-The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (I had this movie but it was damaged in my basement flood.  So I technically have it, but the case and cover art are all moldy with old sewage and rainwater)

If you can get the 2-disk Ichabod Blu-ray, they'll throw in Fun and Fancy Free on the second disk, and Reluctant Dragon as a bonus feature on Disk 2.  There was definitely a sense of trying to get all the short-anthology package films "out of the way at once", since there were only seven of them in the 40's, and the others (Saludos/Three Caballeros, Make Mine Music/Melody Time) could likely be paired off on their own at some future date.

There's some question whether Fantasia is on the Vault list or not, but it disappeared after its last Blu-ray, so we'll take that as a yes.  Hopefully it'll be a better version than last time, which tried to cram 1940 and 2000 on one disk, and Disney has since abandoned the BD-Live "Virtual Vault" they thought was going to solve the problem of making more bonus-feature disks.

With the exception of Pixar, I think Pocahontas is the last animated Disney film that I saw in the theater.  I don't even think I've seen any of the other films past that one. Except I take that back, I watched The Emperor's New Groove on the bus on a band trip in high school once.

Yes, Pocahontas did rather disillusion us after the first four of the 90's Renaissance, and left all the rabid Lion King fans puzzled and confused.  There was some halfhearted effort to proclaim Hunchback of Notre Dame "bold" and "artistic", but think now we know why the audience threw such a tantrum over Hercules when it came out in theaters the next year afterwards.  Something was just sort of building out of all that feeling of betrayal, and Lion King fans had no one to blame but themselves.

(And hopefully you've at least seen the Disney films since Groove--
I'm firmly in the Frozen-is-Evil camp, but Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph and Meet the Robinsons are the cornerstones of the 21st century's Third Disney Renaissance.  When I got a hug from Vanellope Von Schweetz at the Disney Parks, it's since become the main banner on my Twitter page.  😊  )

I'm also interested in seeing The Black Cauldron.  I've heard that it is considered one of Disney's worst films, but it now has taken on a bit of a cult status. 

It's ONE of Disney's worst films now that we have DinosaurAtlantis and Chicken Little, but before then, it was the worst, beating out Robin Hood.  If some fans are about to throw fits that I implied Robin Hood was not universally loved, that gives you some idea how childhood DVD colors our memories--Black Cauldron is seen as "cool and culty" by little kids that thought they were watching a Dungeons & Dragons cartoon, but Richard Rich was no Disney director.  One viewing of The Fox & the Hound will prove that.

12 hours ago, EricJ said:

There's some question whether Fantasia is on the Vault list or not, but it disappeared after its last Blu-ray, so we'll take that as a yes.  Hopefully it'll be a better version than last time, which tried to cram 1940 and 2000 on one disk , and Disney has since abandoned the BD-Live "Virtual Vault" they thought was going to solve the problem of making more bonus-feature disks.

I have that Blu-ray release, and the two films are definitely on separate discs.  It's a four-disc set, with each film contained on its own Blu-ray disc and DVD.  But yes, the physical discs were missing many of the bonus features that were originally released in the Fantasia Anthology DVD set years before, and I'm not too optimistic that they will ever resurface in physical form.

One thing that surprised me about the new commentary recorded for the Blu-ray was that it actually discussed the history of Sunflower, the controversial centaur character who has since been erased completely from the movie.  There was a point in Disney's history when the studio denied she ever existed, and no mention was made of her in the commentary on the original DVD.

23 minutes ago, Feego said:

I have that Blu-ray release, and the two films are definitely on separate discs.  It's a four-disc set, with each film contained on its own Blu-ray disc and DVD.  But yes, the physical discs were missing many of the bonus features that were originally released in the Fantasia Anthology DVD set years before, and I'm not too optimistic that they will ever resurface in physical form.

Disney was starting to recognize the problem with "Disk clutter" by the time Blu 3D came along, and trying to cut back on expensive production. (That was one issue that caused that solo Blu3D disk of "Oz, the Great & Powerful" that raised up such a cry among paranoid Disney haters, it almost killed off Blu3D singlehandedly, and certainly did at the studio.)

They'd invented the idea that Blu-ray "had" to include the DVD--or two, for a double feature--and before Movies Anywhere, were still stuck including the Digital Copy on a separate CD-Rom disk for downloading...Which meant that any Blu release was at least a 3-disk and sometimes 4 or 5.  Before they came up with the idea of finally dropping the DC disk, the first disk they tried skimping back on was the Bonus Features disk, either giving us five-minute featurettes, or trying to put them all online, which they did with Lion King and Pocahontas at the time too, IIRC.  I knew enough to keep my "Fantasia Anthology" DVD, since there was no way I would be watching "Toot, Whistle, Plunk & Boom" on a grainy postage stamp.  😁

If anyone has the recent Signature version of Lion King, I take it the Virtual Vault was not included this time around?

17 hours ago, EricJ said:

If you can get the 2-disk Ichabod Blu-ray, they'll throw in Fun and Fancy Free on the second disk, and Reluctant Dragon as a bonus feature on Disk 2.  There was definitely a sense of trying to get all the short-anthology package films "out of the way at once", since there were only seven of them in the 40's, and the others (Saludos/Three Caballeros, Make Mine Music/Melody Time) could likely be paired off on their own at some future date.

There's some question whether Fantasia is on the Vault list or not, but it disappeared after its last Blu-ray, so we'll take that as a yes.  Hopefully it'll be a better version than last time, which tried to cram 1940 and 2000 on one disk, and Disney has since abandoned the BD-Live "Virtual Vault" they thought was going to solve the problem of making more bonus-feature disks.

Yes, Pocahontas did rather disillusion us after the first four of the 90's Renaissance, and left all the rabid Lion King fans puzzled and confused.  There was some halfhearted effort to proclaim Hunchback of Notre Dame "bold" and "artistic", but think now we know why the audience threw such a tantrum over Hercules when it came out in theaters the next year afterwards.  Something was just sort of building out of all that feeling of betrayal, and Lion King fans had no one to blame but themselves.

(And hopefully you've at least seen the Disney films since Groove--
I'm firmly in the Frozen-is-Evil camp, but Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph and Meet the Robinsons are the cornerstones of the 21st century's Third Disney Renaissance.  When I got a hug from Vanellope Von Schweetz at the Disney Parks, it's since become the main banner on my Twitter page.  😊  )

It's ONE of Disney's worst films now that we have DinosaurAtlantis and Chicken Little, but before then, it was the worst, beating out Robin Hood.  If some fans are about to throw fits that I implied Robin Hood was not universally loved, that gives you some idea how childhood DVD colors our memories--Black Cauldron is seen as "cool and culty" by little kids that thought they were watching a Dungeons & Dragons cartoon, but Richard Rich was no Disney director.  One viewing of The Fox & the Hound will prove that.

Thanks for the tip about the 2-disc 'Mr. Toad.'  I could have sworn that I owned Fun and Fancy Free, but I didn't find it in my collection.  I think it perhaps might have been one of the flood victims, along with my copies of the "Cartoon Classics." I did discover that I owned Melody Time.  I also apparently have Oliver & CompanyPete's Dragon, The Ducktales Movie and The Adventures of Winnie the Pooh which I completely forgot about.  

I do have the Saludos Amigos/Three Cabelleros collection.  I also discovered my flood ravaged copy of Donald Duck in MathMagic Land which I'll definitely have to replace.

I think I might have seen Hunchback of Notre Dame, but I honestly can't remember.  I do remember there being some sort of controversy regarding Esmeralda? 

I haven't seen Hercules, Mulan or Tarzan.  I know of the characters from the Kingdom Hearts series on Playstation/DS and from visiting Disneyland. 

I have seen some Disney films since Emperor's New Groove.  I saw: Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph, Big Hero 6, and I did see Frozen as well.  I agree that I thought Frozen was over-hyped and while I thought the animation was beautiful, I just didn't think the story was all that compelling.  I was ready to "Let it Go" pretty much after the movie ended.  This past September, I was at Disneyland and there were still enormous lines for the Anna and Elsa Meet N' Greet.  The only good thing about the event was that it took people away from other areas of the park.  I thought Tangled was a much better story and film.  My husband and I saw Wreck-It Ralph in the theater and loved it.  I'm waiting for the second one to come out.  I haven't seen Meet the Robinsons.  

I hated The Good Dinosaur.  That movie was awful and coming off the heels of Pixar's excellent Inside Out'Dinosaur' paled in comparison.  It is probably Pixar's worst film. 

The 1970s Disney era is one that I don't tend to go back to.  I like Robin Hood and The Rescuers, but compared to Disney's 1950s and late-1980s/early 1990s output, the mid-1960s to early 1980s is not Disney's finest hour.  I really enjoyed The Great Mouse Detective, however.  

Does anyone know if the color timing on all of these Disney Blu-rays is accurate to the originals?

7 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I hated The Good Dinosaur.  That movie was awful and coming off the heels of Pixar's excellent Inside Out'Dinosaur' paled in comparison.  It is probably Pixar's worst film. 

And even that was quality (but not by much) compared to Disney's first attempt at CGI, Dinosaur (2000), which for years held the Worst record until Chicken Little came out--If you don't remember it, there's good reason:

s-l225.jpg
And I'd be remiss in forgetting Treasure Planet (2002), a fairly darn good film that, like Hercules, has since been rediscovered on disk, despite being the subject of a lot of misplaced audience anger at the time, and misinterpreted for its bad marketing and even worse box-office fallout.  If you don't remember that one either, blame a lot of hysterical Lilo & Stitch fans for that.

Disney+Treasure+Planet+Jim+&+Long+John+S

8 hours ago, EricJ said:

And even that was quality (but not by much) compared to Disney's first attempt at CGI, Dinosaur (2000), which for years held the Worst record until Chicken Little came out--If you don't remember it, there's good reason:

s-l225.jpg
And I'd be remiss in forgetting Treasure Planet (2002), a fairly darn good film that, like Hercules, has since been rediscovered on disk, despite being the subject of a lot of misplaced audience anger at the time, and misinterpreted for its bad marketing and even worse box-office fallout.  If you don't remember that one either, blame a lot of hysterical Lilo & Stitch fans for that.

I'll emphatically agree about Dinosaur. Wow. What garbage. 

I also remember watching Treasure Planet and liking it a long time ago, so I'm looking forward to when I get to that particular era. 

16 hours ago, EricJ said:

s-l225.jpg

Wow.  I must have completely blocked out Dinosaur.  Even looking at the DVD cover, it still doesn't ring a bell.  I've heard of Treasure Planet but I haven't seen it.  I also haven't seen Lilo & Stitch.