NickAndNora34

NickAndNora34's Disney Movie Journey

81 posts in this topic

On 5/11/2018 at 6:25 AM, TikiSoo said:

speedracer said: "Unless the cheapest one has someone else's personal handwriting all over the cover (for some reason, people feel inclined to write their name on the front of the movie case in Sharpie)

A quick wipe of nail polish remover (weak toluene solution) will remove Sharpie without harming the surface.

You don't know how much I appreciate this information, Tiki Soo! I didn't think anything would remove Sharpie writing. Can't wait to try it and thanks.

#11: FUN AND FANCY FREE (1947) 

This one also deals with the musical stylings of Dinah Shore (like its predecessor, Make Mine Music), although the film starts with Jiminy Cricket singing about how he doesn't like to let things bother him, and he enjoys ignoring his problems. He stumbles upon a room in which a pair of glum children's toys (a doll & a stuffed bear) reside. To cheer them up, he plays a record entitled, "Bongo," which the audience learns is a "musical story sung by Dinah Shore." 

Related image

Bongo is a little circus bear who longs for the appreciation he thinks he deserves. He ultimately escapes his train car and rides his unicycle through the forest. He quickly learns that the wild is exponentially different from his expectations. He ends up getting harassed by a much bigger and stronger bear who wants Bongo's new girlfriend, Lulabelle, for himself. Just as I started thinking that this segment was dragging on way too long, it did not end, surprisingly. This portion ended at the 37 minute, 15 second mark. 

Related image

The second and only other animated portion of this film was the "Jack and the Beanstalk" story starring Mickey, Donald, and Goofy. Disney favorite, Luana Patten, introduced this one (she is adorable, but her acting is atrocious).

Image result for luana patten

Instead of having Luana read a storybook and make little comments to the audience every so often, she is alone in a 35 year old man's house with his 2 puppets (not including his female hand puppet). I'm just saying this is a strange way of telling a story. Also, this man is not talented in the ventriloquism department; I could very clearly see his mouth move the entire time. Basically, this man uses his puppets to assist in recounting the tale of "Mickey, Donald, & Goofy and the Beanstalk."

Related image

This entire segment was a bit boring, save for the part where Donald literally has murder in his eyes and grabs the axe to kill the cow so he can have a decent meal for once.

Related image

Fairly straight-forward interpretation of the original tale. Nothing too impressive. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NickAndNora34 said:

#11: FUN AND FANCY FREE (1947) 

Instead of having Luana read a storybook and make little comments to the audience every so often, she is alone in a 35 year old man's house with his 2 puppets (not including his female hand puppet). I'm just saying this is a strange way of telling a story. Also, this man is not talented in the ventriloquism department; I could very clearly see his mouth move the entire time. Basically, this man uses his puppets to assist in recounting the tale of "Mickey, Donald, & Goofy and the Beanstalk."

I assume you're being ironic, and have heard Edgar Bergen on radio?  (Where he was better suited than in movies.) ;)

#12: MELODY TIME (1948) 

How many of these musical revue things am I going to have to watch (it's funny how I say "have to" as if someone's forcing me to do this challenge)? This one was, surprisingly, not featuring Dinah Shore. There were 7 animated segments in this one, which differs significantly from its predecessor, "Fun and Fancy Free" (which only had 2). 

The first piece was "Once Upon a Wintertime," about a young couple who go on a sleigh ride and then go ice skating. The birds and bunnies sit around and observe the couple for some reason. It was a cute piece of animation, but definitely not something to write home about. 

Related image

2: A modern take on the classical musical piece, "Flight of the Bumblebee." This one was quite short, which I wish I could say was true about the next one. 

Related image

3: The legend of Johnny Appleseed, apparently. This one was fairly lengthy. I admit I didn't pay super close attention to it. I recognized this one, though, from seeing it somewhere in my childhood maybe? 

Image result for melody time johnny appleseed

4: The Andrews Sisters accompanied this one about a tugboat, entitled "Little Toot." I guess this was a sort of cautionary tale for children to behave? That's what I was getting from this, at least. 

Image result for melody time little toot

5: Fred Waring and his Pennsylvanians present their arrangement of "Trees," a poem by Joyce Kilmer. Trees? Really, Walt? I can't wait to get back into the more traditional animated features. Some of these segments are really killing my resolve. 

Image result for melody time trees

6: "Blame it on the Samba" (with Ethel Smith on the piano and the Dinning Sisters on the vocals). Donald, Panchito, and Jose made an appearance in this. Wonderful. As if I didn't already get enough of them in "Saludos Amigos" and "The Three Caballeros." 

Related image

7: Roy Rogers and the Sons of the Pioneers present "Pecos Bill." Perhaps this was the inspiration behind the quick-service restaurant located in Magic Kingdom in Walt Disney World in FL (Adventureland, to be exact). Bobby Driscoll & Luana Patten were featured in this, as well as Roy Rogers and his trusty steed, Trigger. 

Image result for melody time roy rogers

Overall, this movie was essentially along the same lines as "Make Mine Music" and "Fun and Fancy Free." Like I said, I can't wait to enter the classic animated period (to me, starts in 1950 with Cinderella). 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NickAndNora34 said:

#12: MELODY TIME (1948) 

How many of these musical revue things am I going to have to watch (it's funny how I say "have to" as if someone's forcing me to do this challenge)?

Just one more, and it's not a musical--

There were seven "Package" films, as Disney had to assemble shorts to get the studio back on its feet during and after wartime:  Reluctant Dragon, Saludos Amigos, Three Caballeros, Fun & Fancy Free, Make Mine Music, Melody Time, and...that leaves only Adventures of Ichabod & Mr. Toad.

Then we're back in the fairytale comfort-zone, unless you're going into the live-actions too.

• Thanks 1