NickAndNora34

NickAndNora34's Disney Movie Journey

214 posts in this topic

Nora,

If I may ask, if you liked The Parent Trap, why did you only rate it 5/10 ?? I love this movie.  Hayley Mills is one of my favorites.  I hope you enjoy The Moon Spinners and In Search of the Castaways when you get to them.

3 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Nora,

If I may ask, if you liked The Parent Trap, why did you only rate it 5/10 ?? I love this movie.  Hayley Mills is one of my favorites.  I hope you enjoy The Moon Spinners and In Search of the Castaways when you get to them.

Oops, thanks for pointing that out. I was tired when I posted it, and must have put a different score than I meant to. I write some of the reviews out before typing them, and must have input the wrong movie. Will go back and fix it. 

2 hours ago, NickAndNora34 said:

Oops, thanks for pointing that out. I was tired when I posted it, and must have put a different score than I meant to. I write some of the reviews out before typing them, and must have input the wrong movie. Will go back and fix it. 

I saw that you changed your scale from x/5 to x/10.

Regardless, I'm glad that you liked The Parent Trap.  That's one of my favorite Disney films. I also enjoy the theme song. I always laugh at the part in the beginning where the camp counselor is introducing herself. "And my name is (turns card over) Miss Inch. (Looks confused and turns card over again, then turns it over again) Oh yes, Miss Inch."

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I saw that you changed your scale from x/5 to x/10.

Regardless, I'm glad that you liked The Parent Trap.  That's one of my favorite Disney films. I also enjoy the theme song. I always laugh at the part in the beginning where the camp counselor is introducing herself. "And my name is (turns card over) Miss Inch. (Looks confused and turns card over again, then turns it over again) Oh yes, Miss Inch."

I changed my scale to include more factors in rating a film, to make it more fair for movies that might have had a great cast, but a weak script (& vice versa). And yes, Miss Inch cracks me up whenever she's on screen. Although I also get a kick out of the little girl begging her father to let her keep a skunk she captured over the summer 🤣

#51: MOON PILOT (1962) *SCORE: 4.5/10* (that's being generous)

Starring: Brian Keith, Tom Tryon, Edmond O'Brien, Dany Saval, Bob Sweeney, Kent Smith, Tommy Kirk, Simon Scott, Bert Remsen, Sarah Selby, Dick Whittinghill. 

After a chimp astronaut successfully returns from orbit, the government is eager to send a human subject, although there doesn't seem to be very many volunteers, until Talbot accidentally volunteers himself after trying to stop the chimp's bad behavior. I don't know how probable the events of this movie are. Talbot wants to go home and see his mother before "Iron Giant-ing" into space, and threatens the General and his associates that unless he gets to see his mommy, he won't go up into space. Fine. They have plenty of other young men at their disposal, so this shouldn't be an issue. Also, I'm pretty sure this type of behavior isn't normally tolerated in the military. This boy is about a strike away from a dishonorable discharge. 

Related image

Of course this numskull Talbot gets his way, and he gets 3 days' leave so he can go home. He flies home, and on the plane, he meets this "French" girl who gives him something for his air sickness. After he takes the pills, he starts to think that maybe this girl is an enemy spy and has poisoned him. He finds out from the stewardess that the girl's name is Lyrae (against airline regulations),and then tries to discern whether or not she is a friend or a foe (also, Talbot doesn't know what the word "beatnik" means). 

Tommy Kirk shows up for about 3 minutes as Talbot's brother, and later that evening, Talbot is left to his own devices, because both is brother and mother have plans. He decides to go for a walk by himself around the neighborhood, which is good. Maybe some fresh air will help him clear his head, and straighten out his priorities. 

Lyrae keeps following Talbot around, and he manages to shake the FBI agents who have been protecting him from spies, and meets Lyrae in the park, where she tells him she's from the planet "Beta-Lyrae,"  and she's trying to make sure Talbot stays safe on his space mission. She is simultaneously cute and annoying. 

Related image

The movie tales a break from Lyrae and Talbot, and their forced relationship, and shows Edmond O'Brien and Brian Keith screaming at each other for what seemed like 10 minutes. Then, it's back to Talbot and Lyrae. Lyrae gives Talbot a set of plans that will ensure a safe trip for him, and he then tries to make another deal with the General before going to space. The best part of the movie was around the 1:25:00 mark, where the FBI brings in a few "beatnik" women to see if Talbot can identify any of them as the female "spy" and the girls are lined up and dancing, reciting poetry, and making speeches about overthrowing the patriarchy, etc. It was entertaining to say the least. 

This boy finally gets launched into space, and frankly, I couldn't care less at this point. Talbot tells the General that he's decided to go to Beta-Lyrae BEFORE FULFILLING HIS MILITARY-SANCTIONED MISSION. Forget "dishonorable discharge." This boy is going straight to prison upon his return. Unacceptable. Also,the acting, script, and characters were all sub-par, and it seemed like the Disney company was making a film about something they knew next to nothing about.

Image result for moon pilot 1962

"Hi hi hilarious," my eye. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

#51: MOON PILOT (1962) *SCORE: 4.5/10* (that's being generous)

Of course this numskull Talbot gets his way, and he gets 3 days' leave so he can go home. He flies home, and on the plane, he meets this "French" girl who gives him something for his air sickness. After he tales the pills, he starts to think that maybe this girl is an enemy spy and has poisoned him.

Lyrae, in the plot point you should be expecting by now, falls into the role of playing Jeannie to Tryon's Major Nelson, but...Dany Saval is no Barbara Eden.  No matter how badly the movie needs her to be.

He finds out from the stewardess that the girl's name is Lyrae (against airline regulations),and then tries to discern whether or not she is a friend or a foe (also, Talbot doesn't know what the word "beatnik" means).

The best part of the movie was around the 1:25:00 mark, where the FBI brings in a few "beatnik" women to see if Talbot can identify any of them as the female "spy" and the girls are lined up and dancing, reciting poetry, and making speeches about overthrowing the patriarchy, etc. It was entertaining to say the least. 

It's funny once, with a five-ring circus of five actresses (including an early uncredited Sally Field?) all competitively hamming up 60's-sitcom stereotypes of "Beatnik types" for the aforementioned bad definition--Unfortunately, each instance goes on forever, and they do the gag three times, with three lineups. IN A ROW.  

Chimps aside, this was why "Disney comedy" became such a dirty word by the end of the 60's.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, EricJ said:

Lyrae, in the plot point you should be expecting by now, falls into the role of playing Jeannie to Tryon's Major Nelson, but...Dany Saval is no Barbara Eden.  No matter how badly the movie needs her to be.

It's funny once, with a five-ring circus of five actresses (including an early uncredited Sally Field?) all competitively hamming up 60's-sitcom stereotypes of "Beatnik types" for the aforementioned bad definition--Unfortunately, each instance goes on forever, and they do the gag three times, with three lineups. IN A ROW.  

Chimps aside, this was why "Disney comedy" became such a dirty word by the end of the 60's.

I TOTALLY thought that was Sally Field, but I forgot to mention that in my write-up. I agree with everything you listed above. The multiple beatnik line up would have maybe worked if there had been some kind of an escalation involved. 

On 6/4/2019 at 10:19 AM, NickAndNora34 said:

This boy finally gets launched into space, and frankly, I couldn't care less at this point.

😄

• Haha 1

#52: BON VOYAGE! (1962) *Score: 5.5/10* 

Starring: Your-Favorite-Flubber-Boy Fred MacMurray, Jane Wyman, Tommy Kirk, Kevin Corcoran, Michael Callan, Deborah Walley, Jessie Royce Landis, Francoise Prevost. 

This live action film surrounding an American family who travels to France was adapted from a novel of the same name, written by a married couple: Joseph and Merrijane Hayes. The couple was inspired to write the novel after their own trip across the Atlantic. 

Related image

Apparently, Universal made plans to do this film with Esther Williams and James Cagney. Personally, that would have been really interesting to see. I almost wish these two had been cast instead. Then, Disney made plans to make the film with Karl Malden and Disney favorites James MacArthur and Janet Munro. I guess all those options fell through or something, because instead of Esther Williams, we got Jane Wyman. I hope I don't sound too bitter; I've just never really been much of a fan of Wyman. Tommy Kirk and Kevin Corcoran always do a great job of playing brothers; sometimes I forget they weren't brothers in everyday life. Something I was unaware of: apparently, Tommy Kirk and Jane Wyman didn't get along too well (as illustrated by the following quote)

"I thought Jane Wyman was a hard, cold woman and I got to hate her by the time I was through with Bon Voyage! (1962). Of course, she didn't like me either, so I guess it came natural. I think she had some suspicion that I was gay and all I can say is that, if she didn't like me for that, she doesn't like a lot of people." -Tommy Kirk 

Patriarch Harry Willard is a worrywart who thinks all he's going to have to worry about are navigating France and not contracting a disease or something, but he gets more than he bargains for when two of his three children fall in love. Willard starts to feel rather intimidated by the changes occurring within his family unit, while his wife, Katie, serves as the voice of reason and helps to reassure him that everything will be alright. 

I liked the scene with the erratic French taxi driver. The whole family was packed into the car like sardines, and tried to remain calm as their driver plowed full steam ahead through the busy streets, nearly hitting pedestrians and other vehicles. Overall, one of the more enjoyable live action films I've seen so far. It's no "Ugly Dachshund," but it'll do. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/4/2019 at 2:52 PM, NickAndNora34 said:

I TOTALLY thought that was Sally Field, but I forgot to mention that in my write-up. I agree with everything you listed above. The multiple beatnik line up would have maybe worked if there had been some kind of an escalation involved. 

I was reading the trivia for this film and I believe that it is Sally Field.  Moon Pilot is noted as her film debut on imdb (even if it may not be the most reliable source at times).

Despite your negative review of this film, I think it inspired me to want to see it. Even if it isn't The Ugly Dachshund, but what is? 

I also now want to see Bon Voyage! My library doesn't have either of these films.  Hmm.

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

I also now want to see Bon Voyage! My library doesn't have either of these films.  Hmm.

Again, while I prefer library rental to Digital except in emergencies, Vudu VOD is probably one of the greatest cultural treasure-troves of obscure 60's-90's Disney movies, from back when they tried to put the entire collection on disk--

https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/details/Bon-Voyage-/37014

https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/details/The-Ugly-Dachshund/40008

(I'm assuming most folks by now have some form of set-top streaming?)

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I was reading the trivia for this film and I believe that it is Sally Field.  Moon Pilot is noted as her film debut on imdb (even if it may not be the most reliable source at times).

Despite your negative review of this film, I think it inspired me to want to see it. Even if it isn't The Ugly Dachshund, but what is? 

Both films were entertaining, even if they weren't my favorites. I suggest you give them a try... Does your public library use the Hoopla website/app? That's what I use for a lot of these live action ones. You can check them out digitally for 3 days and watch them on your laptop/phone. 

#53: BIG RED (1962) *Score: 6/10* 

Starring: Walter Pidgeon, Gilles Payant, Emile Genest, Janette Bertrand. 

Pidgeon stars as James Haggin, a wealthy dog-shower and sportsman who is convinced by his right hand man, Emile, to apprentice a young orphaned French boy, Rene Dumont. Rene shows a strong affection for Haggin's red pointer dog, and he spends a lot of his free time playing with the dog. Unfortunately, Big Red gets injured, and Rene and Emile have to work with him in an attempt to get him back to his showdog status. 

Image result for big red 1962

I had never heard of Gilles Payant before this film, and I must say he seemed pretty natural on screen. Apparently, this and a French tv show were the only things he acted in. He died back in 2012... 

This was a nice change of pace from the previous ridiculous "Moon Pilot," thank the Maker. That movie was utterly baffling, so it was nice to be able to watch something that was a whole lot more believable. Another plus, was the fact that this film was shot in Quebec, Canada, thus resulting in glorious scenery. 

Image result for big red 1962

• Like 1

#54: ALMOST ANGELS (1962) *Score: 3.5/5*

Starring: Vincent Winter, Sean Scully, Peter Weck, Hans Holt, Bruni Lobel, Fritz Eckhardt, Denis Gilmore. 

A charming story that centers around a the Vienna Boys Choir in the early 1960's. The protagonist is young Tony Fiala (Vincent Winter), whose dream is to one day sing with the choir. His mother is very supportive of his talents and dreams, while his father wants Tony to learn how to be a train conductor (or at the very least, some other trade). Tony's mother takes him to the choir audition, and he ends up getting into the group. He will have to live at the academy and continue his studies, as well as practice with the choir. 

Related image

Tony becomes friends with a lot of the other boys at the academy, except for veteran singer, Peter. Peter is a few years older than Tony, and is the lead singer of a lot of the choir's numbers; he begins to resent Tony after Tony is awarded a few solos. Eventually, Peter comes around and befriends Tony, though. 

There really isn't much to this one, other than the choir boys rehearsing and studying, but I enjoyed the subject matter, as performing is right up my alley. I was impressed with the boys' performances in this. All of them seemed quite natural, and not over-the-top like some child actors I could mention (Little Richie, right Speedy)? 

Image result for almost angels 1962

• Like 1

Just bumping this thread in the hopes you haven't given up your quixotic quest.  :huh:  And as a little bit of motivation:

A shoutout to my most recent YouTube discovery, tuber Eric Stran, whose channel has--I say this with awe and admiration--archived, indexed, separated, and categorized by theme EVERY Gene Siskel & Roger Ebert review from their four-year stint on PBS's "Sneak Previews", 1978-1982...Yes, the original, from the Yes/No days before the culture-iconic Thumbs, with Dogs of the Week included.

And thanks to the miracle of home-edited compilation, one half-hour "virtual episode" of Disney's new-release live-action movies from '79-'82, to give you some idea of what's ahead:

(And the link, for our one resident low-techie.)

I add the following disclaimers, of course:  1) North Avenue Irregulars wasn't really that bad, and 2) no, nitpickers, "C.H.O.M.P.S." was not a late-70's Disney movie, it was only panned for looking like one.

...Don't give up!  Although, as mentioned earlier, giving up after 1983 wouldn't be a bad idea at that.  😛

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, EricJ said:

Just bumping this thread in the hopes you haven't given up your quixotic quest.  :huh:  And as a little bit of motivation:

...Don't give up!  Although, as mentioned earlier, giving up after 1983 wouldn't be a bad idea at that.  😛

Thank you, Eric. I'll admit I've been in a weird mood about having to get through all of these 50s and 60s live action movies; trying to remind myself of all the good things ahead. 

• Haha 1

Nora,

I love your avatar of Niles and the Cockatoo. That picture represents my relationship with my green cheek conure. 

• Thanks 1

#55: THE LEGEND OF LOBO (1962) *Score: 2.5/5*

The only cast in this consisted of Rex Allen and the Sons of the Pioneers; they chronicled the life of Lobo, the wolf, through the use of narration and song. 

Long time Disney favorites Oliver Wallace and Richard M. Sherman & Robert B. Sherman worked on the music and title song, respectively, but even that couldn't spice this up. The scenery really made me think of the Thunder Mountain ride at Disneyland, so that was definitely a high point for me. 

This was really just a huge nature documentary/zoology lesson in film form, but I'd rather have this than any more costume pictures. 

Image result for legend of lobo 1962

• Like 1

I always enjoy the Disney "nature documentary" style films, just to see the animals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Those always amazed me.  HAD to be greatly patient camera operators, as to me it always seemed as if the animals were following a script and taking direction!  :huh: :P  And no doubt, the editing had a lot to do with that illusion.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 2

#56: IN SEARCH OF THE CASTAWAYS (1962) *Score: 3/5*

Starring: Hayley Mills, Maurice Chevalier, Keith Hamshere, Wilfrid Hyde White, Jack Gwillim.

Rather straight-forward story about Mills and her brother (Hamshere), who are searching for their missing father. Along for the ride is Maurice Chevalier, who kind of befriends them and helps them in their quest. This film is loosely based on "Captain Grant's Children," by Jules Verne. 

Image result for in search of the castaways 1962

I'd seen this a while ago, and remembered the majority of the plot, which is no great feat, considering how simple and right-to-the-point the plot was. I am a fan of Hayley Mills, and she was charming in this, as per usual. I am only familiar with Wilfrid Hyde White due to my love for ("obsession with") 'My Fair Lady,' and I of course was previously aware of who Maurice Chevalier was. I don't think I have seen him in anything; I am quite familiar with his rendition of the "Aristocats" title song from the Disney film of the same name, but that's about it. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

#56: IN SEARCH OF THE CASTAWAYS (1962) *Score: 5.5/10*

Starring: Hayley Mills, Maurice Chevalier, Keith Hamshere, Wilfrid Hyde White, Jack Gwillim.

Rather straight-forward story about Mills and her brother (Hamshere), who are searching for their missing father. Along for the ride is Maurice Chevalier, who kind of befriends them and helps them in their quest. This film is loosely based on "Captain Grant's Children," by Jules Verne. 

I'd seen this a while ago, and remembered the majority of the plot, which is no great feat, considering how simple and right-to-the-point the plot was. I am a fan of Hayley Mills, and she was charming in this, as per usual. I am only familiar with Wilfrid Hyde White due to my love for ("obsession with") 'My Fair Lady,' and I of course was previously aware of who Maurice Chevalier was. I don't think I have seen him in anything; I am quite familiar with his rendition of the "Aristocats" title song from the Disney film of the same name, but that's about it. 

I love In Search of the Castaways. I've always loved Hayley Mills though.  My favorite aspect of this film however is that there are two actors named Wilfrid.  What are the odds of that?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

#57: SON OF FLUBBER (1963) *Score: 2.5/5*

Starring: Fred MacMurray, Nancy Olson, Keenan Wynn, Ed Wynn, Tommy Kirk, Charlie Ruggles, Leon Ames, Paul Lynde, William Demarest. 

Image result for son of flubber 1963

This is the sequel to "The Absent Minded Professor;" both were filmed in black and white, but were later colorized upon their VHS releases. 

Ned is back and (better than ever?) and has a new invention that is based upon his original "Flubber" putty, but this time, it's in the form of a gas that can essentially change the weather. The government (more specifically, the Pentagon) want to shut Ned down due to security reasons, but he will not be stopped. To add to the "fun," Ned's wife, Betsy, is completely stressed out with Ned and his shenanigans, and is filing for divorce, (which drags ex-beau Shelby back in) so Ned also has that whole mess to deal with on top of trying to invent something monumental. 

Overall, I didn't really love this, but, then again, I didn't love the original either. There were certainly some cute and funny moments, but on the whole, it wasn't my favorite. 

Image result for son of flubber 1963

• Like 1

#58: MIRACLE OF THE WHITE STALLIONS (1963) 

I'm skipping this one most likely indefinitely; I can't find it online anywhere, and I'm not paying for a DVD. I used to have the VHS tape for this, and remember thinking it was one of the most boring things I'd ever seen in my entire life. 

That is all. 

• Haha 1