3. Easter Parade

4. Red River

5. I Remember Mama

6. Johnny Belinda

7. Snake Pit, The

8. Berlin Express

9. Big Clock, The

10. All My Sons

Best Actor: Clifton Webb (Sitting Pretty)

Best Actress: Olivia de Havilland (Snake Pit, The)

Supporting Actor: Walter Huston (Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The)

Supporting Actress: Claire Trevor (Key Largo)

Should have been nominated: Edward G. Robinson (All My Sons); NOT Dan Dailey (When My Baby Smiles at Me); Katherine Hepburn (State of the Union); NOT Ingrid Bergman (Joan of Arc).

It was a great year for female leads: arguments could be made for Best Actress for de Havilland, Jane Wyman, Irene Dunne and Barbara Stanwyck

Note: I did not include The Fallen Idol because it was eligible for Academy Awards the following year.

Note to TopBilled: I have your Top 10 from a previous post but was interested in your individual choices.

Titles watched: 103

• Like 1

21 hours ago, dagoldenage said:

My opinion of the year 1948

Best Actor: Clifton Webb (Sitting Pretty)

Best Actress: Olivia de Havilland (Snake Pit, The)

Supporting Actor: Walter Huston (Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The)

Supporting Actress: Claire Trevor (Key Largo)

I like your choices. I think they're all fine and worthy performers. I have chosen four different people:

Screen Shot 2018-04-27 at 7.36.27 PM.jpg

As best actor, I select Laurence Olivier for HAMLET. I think it's a career high for him.

Screen Shot 2018-04-27 at 7.36.05 PM.jpg

My choice for best supporting actor is Robert Preston in WHISPERING SMITH. He's so good at playing the rogue we forget it's really Alan Ladd's picture. It becomes Robert Preston's picture. An example of supporting work by an actor that transcends a somewhat formulaic script.

Screen Shot 2018-04-27 at 7.38.08 PM.jpg

Best actress? I go with Vivien Leigh. She's heartbreaking in the British version of ANNA KARENINA. Supreme performance from start to finish. 

Screen Shot 2018-04-27 at 7.32.19 PM.jpg

And my selection for best supporting actress is marvelous Florence Eldridge as a doomed wife in AN ACT OF MURDER. 

I am not as much of an aficionado of the late 1940s as I am of the 1930s and early '40s, but I think this lady gave the best performance by a supporting actress in a 1948 film. This character terrified me (and my dreams) when I first saw the film on television as a child; in later years, I merely marveled at the performance. It's Lucy Pavey in The Fall of the House of Usher, directed by Ivan Barnett. (Btw, I would definitely pick Irene Dunne for Best Actress for that year.)

Fall-of-the-House-of-Usher-1949-2.jpg

1948? I'm afraid there was only one movie released that year.

A&CMEET.JPG

• Haha 3

Thanks TopBilled.

Wow, I watched more than 100 titles in 1948, but only Hamlet among your individual choices.

• Like 1

If Act of Violence, The Fallen Idol, and Saraband for Dead Lovers belong in dagoldenage's and Oscar's 1949 US releases, and Secret Beyond the Door belongs back in 1947, then these are probably my top ten:

The Red Shoes

Letter from an Unknown Woman

Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Johnny Belinda

Raw Deal

The Snake Pit

So Evil My Love

The Lady from Shanghai

The Search

Red River/Silver River (tie)

Without Ralph Richardson as a competitor, it's a toss-up between Bogart and Anton Walbrook. However, Mary Astor (Act of Violence) and Flora Robson (Saraband for Dead Lovers) are much better than any competitor I can find for supporting actress.

Best Actor: Humphrey Bogart, Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Best Supporting Actor: Walter Huston, Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Best Supporting Actress: Career award to either Agnes Moorehead or Claire Trevor (for Raw Deal more than for Key Largo)

Best Actress: Tie between Olivia De Havilland for The Snake Pit and Joan Fontaine for Letter for an Unknown Woman. Since ties are not permitted, the two sisters have a Hunger Games fight to the death.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, kingrat said:

Best Supporting Actress: Career award to either Agnes Moorehead or Claire Trevor (for Raw Deal more than for Key Largo)

While I agree that Trevor is great in both Raw Deal and Key Largo,  if she is best supporting actress in Raw Deal, does that mean there was no leading actress in the film?    I ask because Marsha Hunt doesn't have a bigger role than Trevor (I would say they are about equal);  i.e. this is one of those cases where there are either two leading actresses or none at all,  which often leads to no nominations in either category.   

1948 was a great year in films. You could find 10 more great movies that aren't on any of the prior lists.

• Like 1

Here are a few more good selections: Force of Evil is a taut gangster picture about the numbers racket, starring John Garfield.  And Bicycle Thieves, the great Italian neorealist drama, was released in Italy in 1948, but here in the States in 1949.

• Like 1

I would have given Best Actress to Olivia for THE SNAKE PIT, easily. 

Hard to argue against Olivier for Best Actor in HAMLET, great actor that he is. But truth be told I think Bogart in THE TREASURE OF SIERRA MADRE and John Garfield in FORCE OF EVIL, were just a little bit better.

Huston was great in TREASURE, so I say he was deserving of his win. But I just adore Edward G. in KEY LARGO, his Johnny Rocco is one character you can't forget.

Totally believe that Claire Trevor deserved her Oscar as well as Rocco's mistreated mistress in the latter film. She is so pitiful but also has a bit more cunning near the end than you would have expected when you first meet her character at the beginning of the movie.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I would have given Best Actress to Olivia for THE SNAKE PIT, easily. 

Hard to argue against Olivier for Best Actor in HAMLET, great actor that he is. But truth be told I think Bogart in THE TREASURE OF SIERRA MADRE and John Garfield in FORCE OF EVIL, were just a little bit better.

Huston was great in TREASURE, so I say he was deserving of his win. But I just adore Edward G. in KEY LARGO, his Johnny Rocco is one character you can't forget.

Totally believe that Claire Trevor deserved her Oscar as well as Rocco's mistreated mistress in the latter film. She is so pitiful but also has a bit more cunning near the end than you would have expected when you first meet her character at the beginning of the movie.

I think it's interesting that we tend to remember Robinson and Trevor from KEY LARGO more than we do Bogart & Bacall. The supporting players clearly had the flashier roles.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

I think it's interesting that we tend to remember Robinson and Trevor from KEY LARGO more than we do Bogart & Bacall. The supporting players clearly had the flashier roles.

Yes,  those supporting roles were flashier roles;   As for Robinson,  I don't view the role as a leading one,  but a supporting one,   and he should have been nominated for best supporting actor.  (but Walter Huston deserved to win the award).

• Like 1

Bethluvsfilms:

I'm right with you on your individual picks. 

1) Olivia

2) Huston deserved the win; and agree Robinson should have been nominated

3) And Trevor

But I chose Clifton Webb because I think he made what would have been a bad movie watchable.

TopBilled:

You are right about Key Largo and the supporters thought of more than the leads. 

I read an interview from Bacall once that she didn't like the film because she didn't consider it a Bogart/Bacall movie. I understand what she's saying, but it's my favorite movie of the ones they made together.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dagoldenage said:

TopBilled:

You are right about Key Largo and the supporters thought of more than the leads. 

I read an interview from Bacall once that she didn't like the film because she didn't consider it a Bogart/Bacall movie. I understand what she's saying, but it's my favorite movie of the ones they made together.

I think she's right. But I also agree with you that it's their best film. 

KEY LARGO:  It's one of my favorites, too.  I almost always watch it when it's on.  It's more of an ensemble film than Bogie/Bacall.  Eddie should have been nominated although I think Huston deserved his win and I've said before that I think Claire Trevor gives one of the great performances as an alcoholic.  

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 12:00 AM, dagoldenage said:

TopBilled:

I love KEY LARGO but I too understand Lauren's point of view on this one. She did seem to get overshadowed by everyone, by Robinson, Trevor, Lionel Barrymore.

Even Bogey had a bit more to do than she did.

Still I love that scene where Bacall spits in Robinson's face after he whispers something naughty in her ear. Her character could indeed be a wildcat when pushed to her limits.

• Like 2

On 5/12/2018 at 10:46 AM, Bethluvsfilms said:

I love KEY LARGO but I too understand Lauren's point of view on this one. She did seem to get overshadowed by everyone, by Robinson, Trevor, Lionel Barrymore.

Even Bogey had a bit more to do than she did.

Still I love that scene where Bacall spits in Robinson's face after he whispers something naughty in her ear. Her character could indeed be a wildcat when pushed to her limits.

Yes what a memorable scene. She's sidelined for much of the action, but she does have that one excellent moment in the film.

Screen Shot 2018-05-13 at 11.25.14 AM.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:44 PM, TopBilled said:

I like your choices. I think they're all fine and worthy performers. I have chosen four different people:

As best actor, I select Laurence Olivier for HAMLET. I think it's a career high for him.

My choice for best supporting actor is Robert Preston in WHISPERING SMITH. He's so good at playing the rogue we forget it's really Alan Ladd's picture. It becomes Robert Preston's picture. An example of supporting work by an actor that transcends a somewhat formulaic script.

Best actress? I go with Vivien Leigh. She's heartbreaking in the British version of ANNA KARENINA. Supreme performance from start to finish. 

And my selection for best supporting actress is marvelous Florence Eldridge as a doomed wife in AN ACT OF MURDER. 

& all p6ts of handiccaoping is sad gecw

uretty much like that book & my own "Alternate Oscars" file. & like the Danny Peary book I & many others own-(NOTE: Mr. Peary we need a revised/updates edition, yours stopped of for 1991?)

Best Film of 1948:

Treasure Sierra Madre"-(NOTHING IS CLOSE>thogh *Scorsese would be to differ  & vote for "The Red Shoes")

Actor of '48:

I agree with Hollywood this time with Olivier in "Hamlet"-(but in no way share or form shoulda' defeated one of the greatest flix ever made in "Sierra Madre" for the biggie?

Best Actress: *Olivia De Havilland in "The Snake Pit"

S. Actor:*Walter Huston by a landslide in "Treasure..."-(though many call his a co leading role)

S. Actress: Claire Trevor in "Key Largo"

& Best Director:

*J. Huston for "Sierra Madre
  Plus it's score is monumental by thee greatest ever *Max Steiner

57 minutes ago, spence said:

& all p6ts of handiccaoping is sad gecw

Do disagree with you on *Olivier's perfect rendition of "Hamlet" However, many historians & myself included rate his finest work in '56's "Richard III"-(also must be among all-time greatest performances in history!)

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:31 PM, dagoldenage said:

Bethluvsfilms:

I'm right with you on your individual picks. 

1) Olivia

2) Huston deserved the win; and agree Robinson should have been nominated

3) And Trevor

But I chose Clifton Webb because I think he made what would have been a bad movie watchable.

Thing is Edward G., would never gone for a s. actor nomination. He was said to have a lg ego too

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:44 PM, TopBilled said:

The sad & tragic *Vivien was among the 5 all-timers, but suffered from chronic bi-polar, they didn't know what that meant in that era. & maybe why *Olivier left her? She only made it to age 53 in 1967  (TRIVIA: NATALIE WOOD'S OWN IDOL WAS *LEIGH & ALWAYS KEPT A LG PORTRAIT OF HER IN HER LIVING ROOM(

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 2:26 PM, TopBilled said:

Yes what a memorable scene. She's sidelined for much of the action, but she does have that one excellent moment in the film.

Screen Shot 2018-05-13 at 11.25.14 AM.jpg

TOP, some of that superb crime-drama was shot down in in Key Largo as well & of course back in Burbank at WB"s  For decades the motel had photos of it's stars hanging up