jakeem

70th Primetime Emmy Awards

85 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

they'll have to rush to nominate michelle wolf.

:lol:

Don't be surprised. Her HBO stand-up comedy special "Nice Lady" certainly will be eligible. She also will launch a new weekly variety/talk show on Netflix at the end of the month.

The qualification deadline for this year's Primetime Emmys is May 31.

Image result for michelle wolf netflix

I know that *Cloris Leachman is the champ of the EMMYS winning 8 to date & both Edward Asner & Mary Tyler Moore each won 7.  But, to Jakeem, which tv series is the most honored???

20 minutes ago, spence said:

I know that *Cloris Leachman is the champ of the EMMYS winning 8 to date & both Edward Asner & Mary Tyler Moore each won 7.  But, to Jakeem, which tv series is the most honored???

When it comes to scripted series, the leader is "Game of Thrones" with 38 wins in 110 nominations. Since 1976, "Saturday Night Live" has earned 64 Primetime Emmys in 231 nominations.

Julia Louis-Dreyfus has eight Primetime Emmy Awards, too. But Leachman also has a Daytime Emmy for a total of nine.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jakeem said:

When it comes to scripted series, the leader is "Game of Thrones" with 38 wins in 110 nominations. Since 1976, "Saturday Night Live" has earned 64 Primetime Emmys in 231 nominations.

Julia Louis-Dreyfus has eight Primetime Emmy Awards, too. But Leachman also has a Daytime Emmy for a total of nine.

THANKS PAL & AS USUAL FAST REPLY!

Outrageously "The Great 0ne: Jackie Gleason"-(l9l6-l987) never won 1 single EMMY???

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jakeem said:

I bet yeah most of SNL's wins were for it's great era from 1975 to 1980?

1 hour ago, spence said:

I bet yeah most of SNL's wins were for it's great era from 1975 to 1980?

I would bet that a lion's share of SNL's Primetime Emmys have been won during the past decade or so. The late-night sketch comedy series received nine awards in 22 nominations last year. It will probably pick up a boatload of nominations in July, too.

By the way, here are the guest hosts and performers for the final three episodes of Season 43:

• May 5 -- Donald Glover (host); Childish Gambino (musical guest). Be sure to notice that the host and the musical guest resemble each other a lot.
  • May 12 -- Amy Schumer (host); Kacey Musgraves (musical guest).
  • May 19 -- Tina Fey (host); Nicki Minaj (musical guest).

Image result for black jeopardy chadwick boseman gifs

Julia Louis-Dreyfus -- tied with Cloris Leachman for the most Primetime Emmy wins by an actress with eight -- won't get a chance to set a new record this year. Her HBO comedy series "Veep" won't begin its seventh and final season until 2019.

But Louis-Dreyfus will be picking up a prestigious award in the fall, anyway. On October 21, 2018, she will be honored as the 21st recipient of the Mark Twain Prize for Humor at The Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C. 

"Merely to join the list of distinguished recipients of this award would be honor enough, but, as a student of both American history and literature, the fact that Mr. Twain himself will be presenting the award to me in person is particularly gratifying," Louis-Dreyfus said in a statement.

From 1982 to 1985, Louis-Dreyfus was a regular on the NBC late-night sketch comedy series "Saturday Night Live." In 1989, she joined the cast of the top-rated NBC sitcom "Seinfeld" as Elaine Benes. The series ran until 1998. Her comedy program "The New Adventures of Old Christine" aired on CBS for five seasons, from 2006 to 2010. 

"Veep" premiered in 2012 with Louis-Dreyfus in the role of U.S. Vice President Selina Meyer. It has won the Primetime Emmy as Outstanding Comedy Series three times -- in 2015, 2016 and 2017.

She became the first actress to win Primetime Emmys for three different sitcoms. She also has earned three Emmys as a producer of "Veep"

PRIMETIME EMMYS (as an actress)

• 1996 -- Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series -- "Seinfeld" 
  • 2006 -- Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series -- "The New Adventures of Old Christine"
  • 2012 -- Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series -- "Veep"
  • 2013 -- Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series -- "Veep" 
  • 2014 -- Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series -- "Veep"
  • 2015 -- Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series -- "Veep" 
  • 2016 -- Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series -- "Veep"
  • 2017 -- Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series -- "Veep" 

PRIMETIME EMMYS (as a producer)

• 2015 -- Outstanding Comedy Series -- "Veep" 
  • 2016 -- Outstanding Comedy Series -- "Veep"
  • 2017 -- Outstanding Comedy Series -- "Veep"

Image result for julia louis dreyfus

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jakeem said:

Julia Louis-Dreyfus -- tied with Cloris Leachman for the most Primetime Emmy wins by an actress with eight -- won't get a chance to set a new record this year. Her HBO comedy series "Veep" won't begin its seventh and final season until 2019.

But Louis-Dreyfus will be picking up a prestigious award in the fall, anyway. On October 21, 2018, she will be honored as the 21st recipient of the Mark Twain Prize for Humor at The Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C. 

"Merely to join the list of distinguished recipients of this award would be honor enough, but, as a student of both American history and literature, the fact that Mr. Twain himself will be presenting the award to me in person is particularly gratifying," Louis-Dreyfus said in a statement.

From 1982 to 1985, Louis-Dreyfus was a regular on the NBC late-night sketch comedy series "Saturday Night Live." In 1989, she joined the cast of the top-rated NBC sitcom "Seinfeld" as Elaine Benes. The series ran until 1998. Her comedy program "The New Adventures of Old Christine" aired on CBS for five seasons, from 2006 to 2010. 

"Veep" premiered in 2012 with Louis-Dreyfus in the role of U.S. Vice President Selina Meyer. It has won the Primetime Emmy as Outstanding Comedy Series three times -- in 2015, 2016 and 2017.

She became the first actress to win Primetime Emmys for three different sitcoms. She also has earned three Emmys as a producer of "Veep"

PRIMETIME EMMYS (as an actress)

• 1996 -- Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series -- "Seinfeld" 
  • 2006 -- Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series -- "The New Adventures of Old Christine"
  • 2012 -- Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series -- "Veep"
  • 2013 -- Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series -- "Veep" 
  • 2014 -- Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series -- "Veep"
  • 2015 -- Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series -- "Veep" 
  • 2016 -- Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series -- "Veep"
  • 2017 -- Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series -- "Veep" 

PRIMETIME EMMYS (as a producer)

• 2015 -- Outstanding Comedy Series -- "Veep" 
  • 2016 -- Outstanding Comedy Series -- "Veep"
  • 2017 -- Outstanding Comedy Series -- "Veep"

Image result for julia louis dreyfus

I like her, but it's strange to think she's won-(TIED) for most EMMYS.   Elaine

Can you do me another favor, how many did 1989';s tremendoius Western "Lonesome Dove" take home? I know both *Duvall & *Tommy Lee canceled each other out & *Ben Kingsley took it instead as "Simon Wiesenthal"

& how did both "Rich Man, Poor Man" & "Roots" do?

Now every single time I hear about these awards I'm reminded the stunning snobbery of "THE GREAT ONE: JACKIE GLEASON?"

Although "Lonesome Dove" was nominated for 18 Primetime Emmys, the most significant award it received was for Outstanding Directing in a Miniseries or a Special (Simon Wincer). The CBS miniseries had the misfortune of competing with ABC's World War II tale "Herman Wouk's 'War and Remembrance'."

"Rich Man, Poor Man" won four Emmys in 23 nominations. Two of the wins were for acting: Ed Asner (Outstanding Lead Actor for a Single Appearance in a Drama or Comedy Series) and Fionnula Flanagan (Outstanding Single Performance by a Supporting Actress in Drama or Comedy Series). It also won for Outstanding Achievement in Music Composition for a Series (Alex North) and Outstanding Directing in a Drama Series (David Greene).

"Roots" received nine Primetime Emmys in 37 nominations, including Outstanding Limited Series. It also won in the following categories:

• Actor in a Drama or Comedy Series, Single Appearance (Louis Gossett, Jr.).
  • Supporting Actor in a Drama or Comedy Series, Single Appearance (Asner).
  • Supporting Actress in a Drama or Comedy Series, Single Appearance (Olivia Cole).
  • Director in a Drama Series (Greene, for Part I).
  • Writing in a Drama Series (Ernest Kinoy, William Blinn, for Part II).
  • Music Composition for a Series, Dramatic Underscore (Gerald Fried, Quincy Jones, for Part I).
  • Editing in a Drama Series (Neil Travis, for Part I).
  • Sound Editing in a Series (Larry Carow, George Fredrick, Colin Mouat, Larry Neiman, Dave Pettijohn, Paul Bruce Richardson, Don Warner, for Part II).

• Thanks 1

I would really like some nominations and wins for THE AMERICANS.  This is the last season and it has been a terrific show.  I hate to see it end.  I've also been watching PATRICK MELROSE which is also good but has only been on a few weeks so I haven't formed the same attachment as I have for THE AMERICANS - six years and I haven't missed an episode.

18 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

I would really like some nominations and wins for THE AMERICANS.  This is the last season and it has been a terrific show.  I hate to see it end.  I've also been watching PATRICK MELROSE which is also good but has only been on a few weeks so I haven't formed the same attachment as I have for THE AMERICANS - six years and I haven't missed an episode.

Normally, I would expect "Game of Thrones" to dominate again, but the fantasy/drama series could be at a disadvantage because it wasn't eligible last year. Although it will contend for Primetime Emmys this year, there were only seven episodes -- aired in July and August.

Then again, the overwhelming success of the first season of "The Handmaid's Tale" makes me wonder if "Game of Thrones" would have fared well against it last year. 

This could be a good year for "The Americans," which has been championed by television critics for most of its run. 

On 5/1/2018 at 1:02 PM, NipkowDisc said:

they'll have to rush to nominate michelle wolf.

So glad to see you liked Michelle's monologue, Nip!

On 5/2/2018 at 2:13 PM, spence said:

Outrageously "The Great 0ne: Jackie Gleason"-(l9l6-l987) never won 1 single EMMY???

In the final analysis, awards are meaningless.

On 5/30/2018 at 10:31 AM, NipkowDisc said:

let Roseanne Barr take over for sarah sanders for a bit.

Would that mean that Sarah Huckabee Sanders will be singing the National Anthem at an All-Star Game?

• Haha 1