jakeem

70th Primetime Emmy Awards

165 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

In the final analysis, awards are meaningless.

I guess TCM should cancel its plans for February then.

image.png.e27a20949f883ecc5459d4ba498049c4.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, jakeem said:

I so agree and I would like to give you an award for coming up with this idea, Jakeem!

I dub thee, Winner of the Golden Dawn Acknowledgement of Logic award. You will receive a faux gold-leaf statuette of Jackie Mason and a lifetime subscription to "Vanity Fair" magazine.

3 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

I so agree and I would like to give you an award for coming up with this idea, Jakeem!

I dub thee, Winner of the Golden Dawn Acknowledgement of Logic award. You will receive a faux gold-leaf statuette of Jackie Mason and a lifetime subscription to "Vanity Fair" magazine.

Now that's meaningful! 

• Thanks 1

I reckon'-(in the immortal words of both *COOP & *CLINT) they will once again be the PC show

• Like 1

On 6/21/2018 at 7:03 AM, drednm said:

They still hand out Emmy Awards? Really.

Actually, there are several Emmy Awards presentations, but only one is shown live on national television:

• Sports Emmys -- Presented in May this year. NBC's durable sportscaster Bob Costas has won 20 of them.
  • Daytime Emmys  -- Usually revealed online in May or June. Still dominated by daytime dramas, but "Sesame Street" has won many of its 170-plus Emmys here.
  • Primetime Emmys  -- Held in three parts: A Creative Arts presentation on the Saturday and Sunday before the live telecast, which is usually held in late August or September. "Game of Thrones" is the all-time scripted series champion with 38 wins. NBC's long-running late-night sketch comedy "Saturday Night Live" has collected 64. And let's not forget two venerable anthology series: "Masterpiece" (née "Masterpiece Theater") has won 83 awards. "Hallmark Hall of Fame" has received 81.
  • News and Documentary Emmys  -- Held in October. The long-running CBS newsmagazine "60 Minutes" has earned a record 145 statuettes -- including seven last year.
  • Local Emmys -- Presented to news organizations and productions by regions. The Southeast Region -- including the Atlanta area -- held its awards show last week.
  • International Emmys -- Since 1973, these awards have been presented to producers and programs for excellence in television programs created outside the United States. Usually held in November in New York City.

Hey pal!  Knew you'd be on top of these   I got a lot about them in my inbox & other places-(goldderby.com) but haven't yet had to chance to read much, are the actual nominations out yet?

(P.S. Do you agree they are now even far more PC then *Oscars?)

4 hours ago, spence said:

(P.S. Do you agree they are now even far more PC then *Oscars?)

Not when it comes to the hosts -- and some of the award winners. Stephen Colbert drew the ire of the right by savaging the president last year. 

And keep in mind that this year's hosts -- Michael Che and Colin Jost -- are the "Weekend Update" anchors on "Saturday Night Live."

I don't know ANYONE who watches TV series anymore.

24 minutes ago, drednm said:

I don't know ANYONE who watches TV series anymore.

Well, apparently somebody's watching them -- and first-run films -- on Netflix, whose worldwide profits just keep going up!

I swear by "The Crown" myself. Looking forward to Season 3, in which Olivia Colman -- a onetime Primetime Emmy nominee, by the way -- takes over as Elizabeth II.

Image result for the crown new queen actress

Of course, HBO is the usual overall awards champion at the Primetime Emmys. I was blown away by some of the episodes from Season 7 of "Game of Thrones." It'll be interesting to see if it wins Outstanding Drama Series for the third time in four years.

Related image

In exactly one week, we'll find out if Dame Angela Lansbury -- one of the great and most versatile performers of the past half century -- will receive a "last hurrah" moment at the 70th annual Primetime Emmy Awards in September.

She's a contender in the category of Best Supporting Actress in a Limited Series or a Television Movie for her performance in a British production of Louisa May Alcott's "Little Women."

The British-born Lansbury, who is 92, has an honorary Academy Award, six Tonys (five competitive, one special), six Golden Globes and an Olivier Award for the British stage. But she has never won an Emmy, despite 18 nominations (17 Primetime and one Daytime).

She was nominated 12 times for her performances as the mystery writer and amateur sleuth Jessica Fletcher in the CBS series "Murder, She Wrote," which ran from 1984 to 1996.

Needless to say, the snubs have been a source of irritation for Lansbury.

"It **** me off!" she told reporter Chris Ayres. "Because I just didn’t add up at all in Hollywood. Everywhere else in the U.S., 'Murder, She Wrote' was huge, but not in Hollywood -- no, no, no, they didn’t want to know. I wasn’t upset … well, I was upset, really. It rankled me. I can’t say it didn’t."

Image result for angela lansbury aunt march in little women

Lansbury could receive a 19th nomination for her role as Aunt March (pictured above) in the BBC 1 production of "Little Women," which aired in America two months ago on the PBS umbrella series Masterpiece.

The miniseries' teleplay was adapted from Alcott's 19th-century novel by Heidi Thomas, known for her writing and co-producer duties for the popular British television drama "Call the Midwife." The latest version of "Little Women" also starred Emily Watson, Dylan Baker, Michael Gambon and Maya Hawke -- daughter of the Academy Award-nominated actors Ethan Hawke and Uma Thurman.

13 hours ago, jakeem said:

The #Emmy nominations are less than a week away. Our TV critics make their dream picks https://bit.ly/2K7NbTD 

DhdZhnMVQAAsnZf.jpg

I'm pulling for Barry with awards to Bill Hader and Henry Winkler. I'd actually never seen Bill Hader do anything but introduce The Essentials Jr.,  and he completely nailed the character of a hit man who truly doesn't get the depravity of what he does until it becomes very personal for him and he feels true remorse.  Yet, Henry Winkler manages to help keep the show light with his comic turn as the acting coach.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 12:28 PM, jakeem said:

Though it's my own personal month on the network