jakeem

70th Primetime Emmy Awards

85 posts in this topic

Among his few Westerns I just was missing something was "Appaloosa" (**-out of 4)

Ever catch 1984/85's "Alamo Bay?"

& that's a category I got wrong for 1998 when it seemed about 75% positive he'd WALKK DOWN-THE-AISLE" for THE TRUMAN SHOW & 1st time contender really upset him *COBURN in the incredibally depressing, but very good AFFLICTION  & that reminds me NOLTE is yet another undernommed actor, with only 3 nods to date

He was tremendous in 1978's WHOLL STOP THE RAIN & especially in another Sidney Lumet crime-drama from 1990 Q & A-(even *Brando after seeing that one (***) not great altogether & only sold $11m. in tickets, but he certainly was there in a powerhouse role. He said he was in agony (Nolte) because of gaining so much wgt & having to wear 5 inch lifts. *Marlon not only thought Nick deserved to be in the race as Irish Cop Mike Brennan but deserved to win too!

& I often leave out Terrence Malick's massive WW2 epic starring just about every actor alive 1998's THE THIN RED LINE ($36m.)

Some didn't get it, but I did mostly on 2nd viewing   All were comparing it to the all-time great PVT RYAN, which I understand to this day, both came out that year, both WW11, both big name filmmakers-(& as NOLTE said on an interview Malick just loves everything nature & would stare at a spider for an hour)

But of all the cast, reckon' they canceled each other out come nomination morning, though NOLTE truly was ignored again here & deserved 2 noms that year, in my own opinion

A far cry from RICH MAN, POOR MAN & others

25 minutes ago, drednm said:

I assume Hugh Grant's A VERY ENGLISH SCANDAL didn't qualify for this year's awards?

No. It aired on Amazon Prime here in America after the May 31, 2018 deadline. But it should be eligible for the 71st Primetime Emmys in the fall of 2019.

On 5/1/2018 at 1:02 PM, NipkowDisc said:

they'll have to rush to nominate michelle wolf.

:lol:

In case you were wondering, the controversial comedian Wolf has received a Primetime Emmy nomination for Outstanding Writing for a Variety Special. It's for her one-woman HBO program "Michelle Wolf: Nice Lady," which premiered in December 2017. There apparently is no category for hosting the White House Correspondents' Dinner. 

Image result for michelle wolf hbo special

I was very happy to see Barry get nominated along with Bill Hader and Henry Winkler. I'm always happy to see John Oliver get nominated. As for Westworld, I just don't like it. It's just not my thing. Maybe I should give it another try. Paterno was a complete let down for me. They get a great actor like Al Pacino in the title role and then really don't do much with him.

7 hours ago, calvinnme said:

I was very happy to see Barry get nominated along with Bill Hader and Henry Winkler. I'm always happy to see John Oliver get nominated. As for Westworld, I just don't like it. It's just not my thing. Maybe I should give it another try. Paterno was a complete let down for me. They get a great actor like Al Pacino in the title role and then really don't do much with him.

Image result for bill hader saturday night live host

Hader has been a versatile presence on television in 2018. He's nominated for Primetime Emmys in the following categories.

• Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series ("Barry").

• Outstanding Directing for a Comedy Series ("Barry," for the episode "Chapter One: Make Your Mark").

• Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series (Shared with Alec Berg for the "Barry" episode "Chapter One: Make Your Mark").

• Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series (for hosting the March 17, 2018 episode of "Saturday Night Live").

As David Canfield of Entertainment Weekly pointed out, Hader is up against another versatile performer -- Donald Glover -- in all four categories.

• Like 1