Sign in to follow this  
Det Jim McLeod

Joe (1970) on DVD

5 posts in this topic

This sleeper hit film of the early 1970s was re released on DVD this week. The previous DVD is out of print. I grabbed this as soon as I saw it. It's about a square ad executive (Dennis Patrick) who kills the drug dealer boyfriend of his junkie daughter (Susan Sarandon, her film debut). He strikes up a friendship with a bigoted factory worker (Peter Boyle) and the two decide to infiltrate the hippie world of lower East Side of New York.

This is a gritty, sometimes funny look at hippie and drug culture. Peter Boyle is excellent as the loudmouth working stiff being both funny and scary at the same time. The music is good too, an excellent song sung by Jerry Butler is played over the credits and there is a hilarious country tune dedicated to the Joe character. The film is not for everyone, if you are offended by foul language, racial slurs, nudity, drugs or violence, you should stay away.

If anyone saw this or bought the DVD, I would like to hear your opinions.

I've seen this movie many times - and I do own it on dvd.

I was 20 years old in 1970 - and I was living in a house in Toronto with several other guys of my age. We had the posters and candles and incense and weed and bra-less girls thing going as much as we could arrange.

My girlfriend and I went to see 'Joe' at the theater after hearing about it from one of the girls.

From my own experiences of the time I knew that what I saw in the movie was perfectly realistic. The lifestyle of counter-culture "kids" in the College/Spadina area of Toronto was reflected unerringly in that movie.

The character of Joe was excessive - but that was to drive the story as well as to drive the point.

Peter Boyle was a newby at the time and I was amazed at how good he was in the part, having not known of him before. His performance can only be described as virtuoso. I've loved him as an actor ever since I saw 'Joe' and I've made a habit of collecting any movie he's in.

Susan Sarandon as well is wonderful in her smaller role here and has gone on to be a gifted and versatile actor in dozens of films.

'Joe' is a gem for the performances of everyone in it - especially Peter Boyle - and for its flawless realism.

Watching it is like looking into a time capsule from 1970 for me.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, darkblue said:

I've seen this movie many times - and I do own it on dvd.

I was 20 years old in 1970 - and I was living in a house in Toronto with several other guys of my age. We had the posters and candles and incense and weed and bra-less girls thing going as much as we could arrange.

My girlfriend and I went to see 'Joe' at the theater after hearing about it from one of the girls.

From my own experiences of the time I knew that what I saw in the movie was perfectly realistic. The lifestyle of counter-culture "kids" in the College/Spadina area of Toronto was reflected unerringly in that movie.

The character of Joe was excessive - but that was to drive the story as well as to drive the point.

Peter Boyle was a newby at the time and I was amazed at how good he was in the part, having not known of him before. His performance can only be described as virtuoso. I've loved him as an actor ever since I saw 'Joe' and I've made a habit of collecting any movie he's in.

Susan Sarandon as well is wonderful in her smaller role here and has gone on to be a gifted and versatile actor in dozens of films.

'Joe' is a gem for the performances of everyone in it - especially Peter Boyle - and for its flawless realism.

Watching it is like looking into a time capsule from 1970 for me.

I was only 9 when this movie came out, so I was unable to see it.

The first time I saw it was a cut version for TV, probably in the 1980s, all the nudity and language were cut, plus a few added scenes (I recall the opening was the Susan Sarandon character meeting her parents at their home, this was not in the released version on the DVD).

Peter Boyle was so good in the film that people thought he was just like the character, in reality he was the total opposite, he was offered the Popeye Doyle role in "The French Connection" but thought the bigoted, violent cop was too similar to "Joe".   

Guys exactly like that are rife in New York still to this day. Wasn't the movie the inspiration for 'All in the Family'?

My admiration for Boyle as an actor is renewed since seeing him scorch Redford in 'the Candidate'. As good as Redford is, Boyle almost steals the film away from him.

• Like 1

Totally dug this movie first time I saw it. Had a date who hated it but she was soon gone. A real classic of now and its time period.

• Like 1