Sign in to follow this  
Bethluvsfilms

Actors/Actresses in dual roles.....

90 posts in this topic

and who did them brilliantly IMO are....

Edward G. Robinson in THE WHOLE TOWN'S TALKING

Jeremy Irons in DEAD RINGERS

Bette Davis (who did it twice in two different films, A STOLEN LIFE & DEAD RINGER)

No doubt there's some more out there, but whenever I think of actors who can pull off two different kinds of characters in the same film, these are the three I most often think of the most.

• Like 2

tumblr_ms6fgii2Pe1sr1ki0o1_500.gif

Ronald Colman shaking hands with himself in Prisoner of Zenda

The-Corsican-Brothers-2.jpg

Doug Fairbanks Jr as twins separated at birth in The Corsican Brothers (must be rough to be a three foot version of your six foot brother; actually that wasn't the case here, one of them is just sitting)

cw44-twins1b.jpg?w=640

Twins: Good Maria Montez meets Bad Maria Montez in Cobra Woman

• Like 4

When you consider multiple roles in the same film, nobody beats Sir Alec Guinness in "Kind Hearts and Coronets." 

Image result for alec guinness kind hearts and coronets gifs

• Like 4

Don't know how I could have forgotten Peter Sellers as the title character in DR. STRANGELOVE, as well as  President Muffley and Captain Mandrake.

Great choices you all have put on here. 

• Like 1

I think we can all agree that no actor has been so transcendent in tackling dual roles as the Belgian thespian extraordinaire Jean Claude Van Damme.

Whether in 1991's Double Impact 

20154398.jpg

1996's Maximum Risk

4596-2.jpg

2001's The Order

the_order23.jpg

or 2001's Replicant

v1.bjszMjQ0ODc7ajsxNzY4ODsxMjAwOzE4Mjk7M

few actors have enjoyed playing with themselves as much as JCVD.

• Haha 2

mhs-twins.jpg

They might have been supporting roles but they made an impression: Peter Whitney as Bert and Mert, the homicidal hillbilly twins in Murder He Says. (Bert's the one with a weak back. Or it is Mert?)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mike Myers playing multiple roles in the Austin Powers movies.

gallery-1492529881-austin-powers.jpg

Eddie Murphy in "The Nutty Professor II - The Klumps"  That one is a riot! :lol:

maxresdefault.jpg

( the YOUNG lady in the middle is NOT him! :ph34r:)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

and who did them brilliantly IMO are....

Edward G. Robinson in THE WHOLE TOWN'S TALKING

Jeremy Irons in DEAD RINGERS

Bette Davis (who did it twice in two different films, A STOLEN LIFE & DEAD RINGER)

No doubt there's some more out there, but whenever I think of actors who can pull off two different kinds of characters in the same film, these are the three I most often think of the most.

2 Bette Davis'-- I know of no one who did it better or more convincingly. I could have gone for that in every movie she ever made!

What I find funny is that Glenn Ford in the first one, A Stolen Life and Karl Malden in the second one, Dead Ringer, couldn't figure it out. And they were 2 very good actors.

But pretty boy Peter Lawford, who sure could act in a pinch, saw right through my girl in Dead Ringer.

Too bad he could not out run the Doberman though.

• Like 1

Both "Parent Trap" movies playing identical twins.

Hayley Mills

6-49218-1_parent_trap_1961_12-1376071502

Lindsey (can't stay out of trouble) Lohan

Parent-Trap-e1405336007189.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mel Brooks played Moses, King Louis XVI, Comicus, Torquemada and Jacques in HISTORY OF THE WORLD PART 1.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

2 Bette Davis'-- I know of no one who did it better or more convincingly. I could have gone for that in every movie she ever made!

What I find funny is that Glenn Ford in the first one, A Stolen Life and Karl Malden in the second one, Dead Ringer, couldn't figure it out. And they were 2 very good actors.

But pretty boy Peter Lawford, who sure could act in a pinch, saw right through my girl in Dead Ringer.

Too bad he could not out run the Doberman though.

I agree that one one did duel roles better than Bette.   While both Malden and Ford were good actors,  they obviously were not very good detectives (especially Malden, since that was his job in Dead Ringer).

I assume Lawford caught on when making love to her.    Hard to do 'that' just like your twin would.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TomJH said:

mhs-twins.jpg

They might have been supporting roles but they made an impression: Peter Whitney as Bert and Mert, the homicidal hillbilly twins in Murder He Says. (Bert's the one with a weak back. Or it is Mert?)

Ha! Whitney later played Officer Courtney, the desk sergeant of the Sparta, Mississippi police department in the 1967 Oscar-winning drama "In the Heat of the Night." Courtney apparently had a lookalike brother who worked the day shift at the department -- a source of confusion for Chief Bill Gillespie (Rod Steiger).

012%2BPeter%2BWhitney%2Bas%2BGeorge%2BCourtney.jpg

• Like 2

Tony Randall played seven roles in THE 7 FACES OF DR LAO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dick Van Dyke played Bert and the old man at the bank in Mary Poppins

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I agree that one one did duel roles better than Bette.   While both Malden and Ford were good actors,  they obviously were not very good detectives (especially Malden, since that was his job in Dead Ringer).

I assume Lawford caught on when making love to her.    Hard to do 'that' just like your twin would.  

Watch a soap opera sometime.  The twin/imposter always fools his bed partner.  ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The Pythons did it all the time. In "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" (1975), for example, John Cleese appeared as several characters -- including the sorceror Tim the Enchanter, Sir Lancelot and The Black Knight.

Image result for monty python john cleese dual roles

• Like 2

Georgian actress Sofiko Chiaureli played six roles, both male and female, in Sergei Parajanov's seminal masterwork, "The Color of Pomegranates" (1968), a visually dazzling and idiosyncratic portrait ostensibly about eighteenth-century Armenian poet Sayat-Nova.

unknown.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 4/30/2018 at 2:09 AM, VanNorden05 said:

Georgian actress Sofiko Chiaureli played six roles, both male and female, in Sergei Parajanov's seminal masterwork, "The Color of Pomegranates" (1968), a visually dazzling and idiosyncratic portrait ostensibly about eighteenth-century Armenian poet Sayat-Nova.

unknown.jpg

Those are five very interesting faces!

• Like 1

Lon Chaney played dual roles five times ( seven, if you count both UNHOLY THREE films, but I don't, because the part of Mrs. O'Grady was a disguise.)

Chaney played two characters in:

A BLIND BARGAIN

TREASURE ISLAND

THE FLASHLIGHT

MR. WU

OUTSIDE THE LAW

• Like 1

My favorite dual performance is Lee Marin as Kid Shelleen and Tim Strawn in Cat Ballou"

Lee+Marvin+Cat+Ballou.jpg

• Like 4

Conrad Veidt played dual roles nine times!

DIE NACHT AUF GOLDENHALL

DER JANUSKOPF

DIE BRUDER SCHELLENBERG

DER STUDENT VON PRAG

CARLOS AND ELISABETH

THE MAN WHO LAUGHS

NAZI AGENT

SATANAS - multiple roles

UMHEIMLICHE GESCHICHTEN- multiple roles

• Like 2