Sign in to follow this  
midnight08

Blondie tonight at 8pm

16 posts in this topic

Just a reminder for those who are fans of  Blondie that TCM will be showing the first six films of the series tonight starting at 8pm. I'm not only happy that TCM is showing these films but also happy that they are being shown in prime time. They are a TCM premiere.

It will be interesting to see if TCM shows them with their original opening titles or if they'll be shown with the opening titles tacked on later by King Features Syndicate. If I remember correctly they were shown on AMC (when it was truly American Movie Classics) with the original opening titles and credits. Either way I hope TCM will eventually show the remainder of the 28 films in this series. 

• Like 1

Fortunately, I managed to tape the entire series on AMC. Since then, the films have reverted back to their King Features versions. Here's one of the original title sets:

• Like 2

Quite a few of the Blondie films have been added to Prime Video, so if you are an Amazon Prime customer you can stream them. This is not a commercial-- LOL-- just saying in case anyone misses them on TCM, or wants to see them again.

• Haha 1

Just checked prime.

Unfortunately many if not most Blondie titles are listed as not currently available and the rest are only available for rental/purchase.

2 hours ago, wonderbar said:

Just checked prime.

Unfortunately many if not most Blondie titles are listed as not currently available and the rest are only available for rental/purchase.

You're right. There are eleven of them on that were available on Prime Video a few days ago. I guess they took them off while TCM is airing them. Maybe they will become available again later in the month.

All hands on deck for tonight's Blondie marathon...check
no conflicting plans...check
all DVRs ready to go...check
line power in good condition, haven't had any recent outages...check
no storms in the forseeable forcast...check

Not exactly a pre-flight checklist, but it's the next best thing, I'm not going to be flying any aircraft.  What could possibly go wrong.  ninja.gif

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wonderbar said:

Update

A number of Blondie movies are  again available on Amazon prime.

Thank you for the info. I figured they'd be re-added after the TCM broadcasts.

These titles are currently on Amazon's Prime Video streaming service:

BLONDIE
BLONDIE MEETS THE BOSS
BLONDIE HAS SERVANT TROUBLE
BLONDIE GOES LATIN
BLONDIE TAKES A VACATION
BLONDIE IN SOCIETY
BLONDIE ON A BUDGET
BLONDIE PLAYS CUPID
BLONDIE BRINGS UP BABY
BLONDIE GOES TO COLLEGE

45 minutes ago, rayban said:

Were the "Blondie" movies the bottom half of a double bill?

Not sure. They were enormously popular, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were the top half, paired with another B film from Columbia. They made a lot of money for the studio and were a huge draw. In fact I read where Penny Singleton quipped that the profits from these "bread and butter" pictures were used by Cohn to finance Rita Hayworth's Technicolor musicals.

• Haha 1

Excited to find many who like this series. The director was a relative of a friend of mine who aspired to be a director himself. I suppose being the director of the BLONDIE movies isn't the worst thing to be known for. But all these years as a classic film fan, I have never seen one.

For a while now, the Movies! channel has been showing Blondie movies every Saturday afternoon.  Oh, sure, they do have commercial breaks, but as I GREW UP watching movies on TV with commercial breaks, it doesn't bother me so much.  It only bothers me with AMC due to them going from showing flicks WITHOUT them to showing movies with TOO MANY of them.  :(

Sepiatone