Sign in to follow this  
yanceycravat

TCM you know I love you but this is completely WRONG!

41 posts in this topic

If DVDs are dead, it would be Netflix who killed them. The only way to get the extras associated with a movie is DVD or Blu-ray. Julie Andrews and Blake Edwards did a wonderful narration of Victor/Victoria, which is only on disc, right? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jimmymac71 said:

If DVDs are dead, it would be Netflix who killed them. The only way to get the extras associated with a movie is DVD or Blu-ray. Julie Andrews and Blake Edwards did a wonderful narration of Victor/Victoria, which is only on disc, right? 

That reminds me of something - a long while back something I recorded off TCM was proceeded by a short title card, stating that the commentary audio was also been broadcast on the secondary audio channel. Since I didn't know that they were going to do that, I obviously wasn't able to setup the recording to grab that 2nd audio stream (most DVRs only record a single audio stream, regardless of how many a broadcast might include. AFAIK, that's the only time I've noted TCM do this & I wish that they'd try it again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, limey said:

That reminds me of something - a long while back something I recorded off TCM was proceeded by a short title card, stating that the commentary audio was also been broadcast on the secondary audio channel. Since I didn't know that they were going to do that, I obviously wasn't able to setup the recording to grab that 2nd audio stream (most DVRs only record a single audio stream, regardless of how many a broadcast might include. AFAIK, that's the only time I've noted TCM do this & I wish that they'd try it again.

I'm headed out this minute, but briefly I made a short memo to self based on a recent post here (or maybe elsewhere):

Check for Showboat (1936) on most recent archives HDD.  It was mentioned that TCM played a version of it recently with a secondary audio track with commentary.

So that might have been inadvertent on the main audio track for them, or for that one poster it may have been on his end.  I still need to verify what I actually recorded (just the usual Directv HD TCM feed), so I can mark that movie off or not.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, limey said:

That reminds me of something - a long while back something I recorded off TCM was proceeded by a short title card, stating that the commentary audio was also been broadcast on the secondary audio channel. Since I didn't know that they were going to do that, I obviously wasn't able to setup the recording to grab that 2nd audio stream (most DVRs only record a single audio stream, regardless of how many a broadcast might include. AFAIK, that's the only time I've noted TCM do this & I wish that they'd try it again. 

What you are remembering is either the 1929 or 1936 version of Showboat had a commentary track. At the time Warner Bros. was still planning to release all three versions in a DVD set, and I imagine this commentary track was part of this. However, the 1936 version was released through the Warner Archive with no commentary track, so I imagine this plan was scrubbed.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jimmymac71 said:

If DVDs are dead, it would be Netflix who killed them. The only way to get the extras associated with a movie is DVD or Blu-ray. Julie Andrews and Blake Edwards did a wonderful narration of Victor/Victoria, which is only on disc, right?  

I still collect DVDs - I'm embarrassed to say how many - for two reasons. One reason is that there are still some extras such as commentary provided on some DVDs, the Criterion Collection in particular.  The second reason is rather paranoid on my part, but I have seen it happen. I'm somewhat afraid that with our entire film history digitized it would be very easy to re-edit films to make them politically correct for the present era. I want the original films so I can get a feel for what was mainstream at that time.  One case in point - in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" pedantic history teacher Mr. Hand sends chronic truant and trouble maker Spicolli (Sean Penn) to the office because he is late to class. Spicolli responds "You D*ck!". By lunchtime, in the original film, one kid tells the other "Did you hear that Spicolli shot Mr. Hand?". The other student corrects her. That exchange is gone from every copy of that film sold or displayed since Columbine. I imagine studio heads are afraid some kid will hear this simple exchange, which was just inserted to show how people and in particular teens can blow up something that happened at 9AM to ridiculous proportions by lunch time, and be inspired to violence.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jimmymac71 said:

Julie Andrews and Blake Edwards did a wonderful narration of Victor/Victoria, which is only on disc, right? 

I was so looking forward to hearing that commentary. When I listened it seemed to me they hadn't seen the movie for a while and, at times, got caught up watching it. I found that kind of frustrating.

In MHO the best Director commentaries of all time are from John Frankenheimer. I feel like he has left a very lasting gift to film fans by recording them.

Almost more than the movie itself commentaries are the main reason to watch/buy a DVD or Blu-Ray. It will be a tremendous loss to film history if this component of home viewing disappears!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, calvinnme said:

What you are remembering is either the 1929 or 1936 version of Showboat had a commentary track. At the time Warner Bros. was still planning to release all three versions in a DVD set, and I imagine this commentary track was part of this. However, the 1936 version was released through the Warner Archive with no commentary track, so I imagine this plan was scrubbed.

Just an update, here is that post I was reminded of, from about a month ago:
https://www.nitrateville.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25934&p=203337#p203455

I have no more to offer than that.  It turns out this was already marked off as "done" in my DB, so I didn't record this instance.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, so great to hear all those positive comments after my flippant dismissive remark. (who buys DVDs?) Although many of you (& myself) copy movies or purchase them second hand.

Although I freely admit, many times I am happy just to view a streamed movie and not own it-my shelves are bursting! And I collect DVDs for a different reason other than revisiting a movie/old TV show: I like to share. My 89 y/o Mom was the one to get me interested in classic movies in the first place, and she looks forward to me bringing her a stack to watch at her convenience. Also, when we visit our family out of state, we gather around the TV & watch obscure oldies.
The dealers room at rare film festivals are chock full of DVDs of those incredibly rare movies & early TV shows, often not the best quality, but not found anywhere else-even streaming.

I agree 100%-"soft" commercials in between movies don't bother me, just as long as there is NO INTERRUPTION.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Just an update, here is that post I was reminded of, from about a month ago:
https://www.nitrateville.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25934&p=203337#p203455

I have no more to offer than that.  It turns out this was already marked off as "done" in my DB, so I didn't record this instance.

What I am remembering, besides hearing an announcer say live on TCM that there was a commentary track just prior to broadcast, was a periodic online conversation with George Feltenstein who was - may still be - in charge of what gets released to DVD/Blu at Warner Brothers. At one time he said there would be the three Showboat films released on HD at some time in the future - the 1929, the 1936, and the 1951 versions as  a collection. He also mentioned in 2008 that we would be getting two boxes a year of the Forbidden Hollywood collections back when they were pressed. Then came the 2008 stock market crash, the Great Depression of the 2010's, and the end of WB's great boxed sets of DVDs.

I may be telling most of you something that you already know, but I'll risk that. Have you ever wondered why WB owns the Universal versions of Showboat? The reason is that it was the custom for a long time for a studio to buy up the rights to all previous versions of a film if they decided to produce a remake. That is why  there are some odd Universals and Paramounts in the WB catalog.  It's the reason that TCM never plays "His Glorious Night" (1929) with John Gilbert. It was bought by Paramount when they remade it as Breath of Scandal. Never heard of that one? Of course you haven't! Paramount owns it, and Paramount  and Universal are where classic films enter the abyss never to be heard of again unless it is one of the tent pole classics like Sunset Boulevard.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, and Yancey, having taken your original topic way off the beaten path, I saw the commercial that you are talking about. I really don't care if the Backlot member is getting paid or not. However  I do hope that the member making the commercial really did buy that stuff from TCM shoppe and is not just hawking products that she never even used.  When TCM aired those spots on Kim PunkRock several years ago, I could tell she was the real deal. I'm not so sure about the lady in this ad.

Besides, TCM Shoppe's shipping rates are abysmal. And when you tell them that they act like they could care less if you like their shipping rates. Not very friendly customer service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, calvinnme said:

When TCM aired those spots on Kim PunkRock several years ago, I could tell she was the real deal. I'm not so sure about the lady in this ad.

Kim PunkRock!  Got that TCM tattoo practically on air. Yeah, that was the real deal alright. So long ago. Maybe 10 years or so. That's a lot different than buying a blanket.

Maybe tattoos should be the next thing TCM hawks! I've seen a number of Festival goers sporting them.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, calvinnme said:

What I am remembering, besides hearing an announcer say live on TCM that there was a commentary track just prior to broadcast, was a periodic online conversation with George Feltenstein who was - may still be - in charge of what gets released to DVD/Blu at Warner Brothers. At one time he said there would be the three Showboat films released on HD at some time in the future - the 1929, the 1936, and the 1951 versions as  a collection. He also mentioned in 2008 that we would be getting two boxes a year of the Forbidden Hollywood collections back when they were pressed. Then came the 2008 stock market crash, the Great Depression of the 2010's, and the end of WB's great boxed sets of DVDs.

I may be telling most of you something that you already know, but I'll risk that. Have you ever wondered why WB owns the Universal versions of Showboat? The reason is that it was the custom for a long time for a studio to buy up the rights to all previous versions of a film if they decided to produce a remake. That is why  there are some odd Universals and Paramounts in the WB catalog.  It's the reason that TCM never plays "His Glorious Night" (1929) with John Gilbert. It was bought by Paramount when they remade it as Breath of Scandal. Never heard of that one? Of course you haven't! Paramount owns it, and Paramount  and Universal are where classic films enter the abyss never to be heard of again unless it is one of the tent pole classics like Sunset Boulevard.

Yeah, there was someone else in that same thread who basically said the same thing about a Show Boat boxed set.  It wasn't promised though, just speculated, or something to that effect.  I haven't seen the 1929 version yet.  It is said to be missing some sections of the audio.

Another example of film rights purchased that comes to mind is the producers of Airplane! purchasing Zero Hour!, but I understand they also dumped it shortly afterwards - maybe as an in-joke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2018 at 3:45 PM, yanceycravat said:

I was so looking forward to hearing that commentary. When I listened it seemed to me they hadn't seen the movie for a while and, at times, got caught up watching it. I found that kind of frustrating.

In MHO the best Director commentaries of all time are from John Frankenheimer. I feel like he has left a very lasting gift to film fans by recording them.

Almost more than the movie itself commentaries are the main reason to watch/buy a DVD or Blu-Ray. It will be a tremendous loss to film history if this component of home viewing disappears!

The commentary for Victor/Victoria was a first for me. It could have been better. On the other hand, I've never heard a TCM host explain how the cockroach in the restaurant scene was done. I have seen the film so many times, I could tune it out and listen to Julie and Blake, and it was fun.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2018 at 3:19 AM, TikiSoo said:

Wow, so great to hear all those positive comments after my flippant dismissive remark. (who buys DVDs?) Although many of you (& myself) copy movies or purchase them second hand.

Although I freely admit, many times I am happy just to view a streamed movie and not own it-my shelves are bursting! And I collect DVDs for a different reason other than revisiting a movie/old TV show: I like to share. My 89 y/o Mom was the one to get me interested in classic movies in the first place, and she looks forward to me bringing her a stack to watch at her convenience. Also, when we visit our family out of state, we gather around the TV & watch obscure oldies.
The dealers room at rare film festivals are chock full of DVDs of those incredibly rare movies & early TV shows, often not the best quality, but not found anywhere else-even streaming.

I agree 100%-"soft" commercials in between movies don't bother me, just as long as there is NO INTERRUPTION.

My Mom is 83 and doesn't need anyone to tell her about a movie, like Ben, unless it is a previously unknown detail. She doesn't understand the DVD player all that well, and I'm not a patient instructor. So we watch plenty of TCM. We evacuated the October wild fires in Santa Rosa, CA. At my brother's house across town, nothing worked but the electricity. Having DVDs to watch was a good thing. We do collect more TV shows than movies on DVD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm surprised so many of you enjoy DVD "commentaries". Whenever I've listened to them I've been disappointed-most have been stream-of-consciousness drivel, nothing pertinent about the making of the movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I'm surprised so many of you enjoy DVD "commentaries". Whenever I've listened to them I've been disappointed-most have been stream-of-consciousness drivel, nothing pertinent about the making of the movie.

A few Christmases ago, my brother game me two months of Netflix, when it was only DVD. That combined with the first month free, gave 90 days of DVDs. We would watch every inch of the DVDs before sending them back. Many times, the additional stuff was a bit drab, but it is still kind of nice to have extras on disc that TCM and other services, don't.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us