Sign in to follow this  
yanceycravat

TCM you know I love you but this is completely WRONG!

41 posts in this topic

Tonight I saw a spot for the TCM Shop. These change monthly with new themes.  This month it's "Classic Movie Night".

TCM should not have Backlot members hawking items from the TCM Shop under the guise of some kind of special event.  Something doesn't seem right about this to me.

I admit I don't like it when the hosts are peddling wine. They're under contract by TCM so maybe that comes under official duties.

I'm not sure if having Backlot members promoting items is a violation of Screen Actors Guild regulations but I do know it feels wrong.

I sure hope this particular Backlot member was compensated for being a spokesperson!

Yancey

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If they ARE doing something wrong with this endorsing/advertising (and I am not saying they are), who's to stop them from doing it? It's their channel, it's their set of rules...and nobody's forcing the Backlot members to go along with it. 

I've written reviews on this site in the past, where I tell my readers if the DVD can be bought at Shop TCM. Nobody is forcing me to do that. I mention it as a courtesy in case someone is interested in buying a copy of the movie. 

• Like 2

I understand completely what you're saying.

And yes, it is their channel to do as they like. Agreed.

However, I don't agree having a Backlot member act as a spokesperson is the same thing as your recommendation. Now it becomes, Maybe I should join Backlot because if I tell everyone how great their blankets, coffee mugs, etc are they'll have me on too.

One then questions are they being sincere or are they saying these things just to be on TCM.  I believe a recommendation from a person on line can be helpful. Unless, of course, that person is being paid under the table to do so. (Please understand I am not saying that about you. Just generally speaking.) Your recommendations are sincere and appreciated.

At the very least TCM should have a disclaimer that the person involved was not compensated for their opinion. Otherwise why not hire a real spokesperson to do the job?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, yanceycravat said:

I understand completely what you're saying.

And yes, it is their channel to do as they like. Agreed.

However, I don't agree having a Backlot member act as a spokesperson is the same thing as your recommendation. Now it becomes, Maybe I should join Backlot because if I tell everyone how great their blankets, coffee mugs, etc are they'll have me on too.

One then questions are they being sincere or are they saying these things just to be on TCM.  I believe a recommendation from a person on line can be helpful. Unless, of course, that person is being paid under the table to do so. (Please understand I am not saying that about you. Just generally speaking.) Your recommendations are sincere and appreciated.

At the very least TCM should have a disclaimer that the person involved was not compensated for their opinion. Otherwise why not hire a real spokesperson to do the job?

We can also question how sincere Ben and the others have been when they're pushing wine. It's salesmanship and part of the job. 

Do you think people would join the Backlot just so they can get on air to hawk TCM's products? Seems silly to me, but I guess if people live for that kind of stuff and they're not harming anyone, more power to them.

19 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Do you think people would join the Backlot just so they can get on air to hawk TCM's products?

Yeah, I have to admit I think there are some who would join just to hawk products. But I also think someone would join hoping it would get them on TCM in some fashion. That one fellow on the Backlot commercial says, He's a big fan and anything that gets him behind the scenes is number one for him. I'm sure he's being very sincere but he did join hoping for something bigger than just having access to archived content.

As an example, perhaps a bad one, how much money would someone pay if they thought they'd be able to get an at bat in the World Series? Have a speaking part in a Marvel Comics movie?

I think of TCM as a classy operation however allowing Backlot members to backhandedly hawk their products seems cheesy.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, yanceycravat said:

Yeah, I have to admit I think there are some who would join just to hawk products. But I also think someone would join hoping it would get them on TCM in some fashion. That one fellow on the Backlot commercial says, He's a big fan and anything that gets him behind the scenes is number one for him. I'm sure he's being very sincere but he did join hoping for something bigger than just having access to archived content.

As an example, perhaps a bad one, how much money would someone pay if they thought they'd be able to get an at bat in the World Series? Have a speaking part in a Marvel Comics movie?

I think of TCM as a classy operation however allowing Backlot members to backhandedly hawk their products seems cheesy.

Yes, I see your point of view. I hope others will chime in on this conversation because it's not exactly a cut-and-dried issue. TCM is blurring the line between old school fandom and advertising. What the eventual outcome will be, who knows at this point.

8 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

TCM is blurring the line between old school fandom and advertising.

Most definitely.  Someone figured out a way to monetize the average TCM viewer's affection for the network under the guise of making them feel they're a bigger part of things. The line is blurred and, as you say, where it leads remains to be seen.

I too would like to hear what others think.  Maybe I see something that's not there.

• Like 3

viewers are not supposed to cater to tcm's idiosynchrasies but rather tcm is supposed to cater to viewers.

that's why I bought myself a portable DVD player so I doan hafta put up with tcm's one-way their-way BS.

:D

On 5/2/2018 at 12:30 PM, yanceycravat said:

Most definitely.  Someone figured out a way to monetize the average TCM viewer's affection for the network under the guise of making them feel they're a bigger part of things. The line is blurred and, as you say, where it leads remains to be seen.

I too would like to hear what others think.  Maybe I see something that's not there.

On 5/2/2018 at 12:30 PM, yanceycravat said:

Though I can definitely see the good points, TB makes I probably am more the cynic that you are,  Yancy. And the lines crossed seem a bit murky. Kind of like Doctor Phil not telling people for ages that all the books he pushed on his show were done by his son's publishing house. That's different, but has a similar feel. I bet you might be one like me who always reads the small print on tv ads, that say things like "Actor portrayal" or "This stunt was not really performed with a monkey driving the car!"

Being that your moniker is "Cravat" my guess too is that you are an aethete sartorially, which brings me to my distaste for the authenticity or even style of some of the noirish apparel being hawked. Let's just be honest, no clotheshorse like the alluring Gloria Grahame would have been caught dead in TCM's chapeau section, with the "Smoky Fascinator" or the "Fatale Hat". She would have preferred something classy made by Oleg Cassini and not these tired imitations of Forties fashion. Get a designer who knows the era next time, TCM. Those repro cufflinks also make even inexpensive ones by Swank, look like they are personally made by Pierre Cardin or even Cartier.

Yancey Cravat was the character played by Richard Dix in Cimarron (1931).

I can't say I read the fine print on TV ads. I just dislike people and things that slyly purport to be one thing when really they aren't.

• Like 1

I remember in the first Wine Club commercial, which TCM is rerunning now, Ben mentions being afraid to smell the wine in the glass, so maybe he wasn't much of a wine person and they got Eddie.

I liked the commercial where Ben, Eddie and Tiffany sat around a table with their cocktails talking about TCM.  Guess we won't be seeing that one anymore!

As for club members hawking merchandise, maybe TCM should run a statement at the bottom of the screen "actor portrayal" or if the spokesperson was compensated or not.  I agree that its their station and they can do how they please.  Maybe the club member contacted TCM and said how she's been using their products for her movie parties and TCM took what she said and ran with it.  (By the way, that blanket is $$$ - no wonder she won't let her kids use it.  😄)

I'm OK with TCM promoting their own brand, clubs, etc. as long as it's between film showings and not during them.  I can catch up on my reading, mute, ignore or flip to another station for a moment.

Since so many people on here were apparently bent out of shape because of Tiffany's youth, I joked I was stunned neither Ben nor Eddie carded her before pouring her a shot. I got no laughing emojis, so I will pathetically throw out the joke again, hoping for better results this time!

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, yanceycravat said:

Yancey Cravat was the character played by Richard Dix in Cimarron (1931).

And Larry Cravat was his brother who was in Somewhere In The Night (1946)

On 5/2/2018 at 11:30 AM, yanceycravat said:

They're a company that don't allow commercial interruptions between films and other forms of traditional advertising. They need to hawk their products if they want to turn a profit and keep the channel going. That's just how it is. I don't like those adverts either so I usually ignore them or change the channel. There's really not much you can do.

I find televisual advertising rather distasteful (and somewhat untrustworthy) as a whole, but (wait there's more!) provided it remains TCM only & only between the movies, it remains tolerable. They already crossed a rubicon or two when they made backlot exclusively (and somewhat expensively) pay-to-play & since they've already had backlot members promoting it, getting them to speak about TCM shop products isn't really that different.

• Like 1

So, TCM is a bit like PBS. Oh wait, TCM makes income from cable and satellite subs, in addition to all the other avenues they are in. I might not find all this annoying except TCM is owned by a large corporation. It would be different if my favorite and only classic movie channel was making all this extra income for the sake of the channel. I must say, I do not love TCM, just the movies they play.

6 hours ago, jimmymac71 said:

I must say, I do not love TCM, just the movies they play.

I think that's a very rational statement!

22 hours ago, jimmymac71 said:

I must say, I do not love TCM, just the movies they play. 

I remain fond of TCM because of the movies that TCM plays & will likely remain so as long as TCM doesn't do an AMC to me. I do wish TCM would nag me a little less often about buying wine, buying backlot memberships & hiding that pile of DVD's that I didn't get from the TCM shop... 😉

• Like 1

Well I have been working on saving the recently aired jungle movies, and I do believe I have finally seen the aforementioned commercial(s).  That is a bit focused around one individual, isn't it.  Just a random case, I suppose we are to conclude.  Whatever.  Just don't change the movie format on us.  Really.

Eh...DVDs are so 90's. Does anyone actually buy them anymore?

Is this any different than the SUV/lawyer/landscaper commercials we see on PBS? I mean to the viewer.

(I know the "difference" is PBS is funded by government subsidies & donations while TCM is a privately owned, for profit station)
It's pretty difficult to turn a profit when you don't sell "air time".

On 5/7/2018 at 8:25 PM, ChristineHoard said:

...I'm OK with TCM promoting their own brand, clubs, etc. as long as it's between film showings and not during them.  I can catch up on my reading, mute, ignore or flip to another station for a moment.

I feel the same way. The only aspect that is important to me is that the films being shown are commercial free. I can use the "in between time" to do any of the 1001 things I need to get done yet ignore every day. 😄

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Is this any different than the SUV/lawyer/landscaper commercials we see on PBS? I mean to the viewer.

(I know the "difference" is PBS is funded by government subsidies & donations while TCM is a privately owned, for profit station)
It's pretty difficult to turn a profit when you don't sell "air time".

Eh...DVDs are so 90's. Does anyone actually buy them anymore? Yeah, I do. All the time. And Blu-Rays.

TCM also gets the carrier fees from the cable/satellite companies. Personally, I don't care about the in-between commercials for their own products since I never see them unless I want to. I DVR everything I want to see, and then watch/record it onto another medium whenever it's convenient. As others have stated, for years now, I'm fine with it as long as they don't start putting commercial breaks in the movies themselves.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Why abandon something that still works? Heh, I still have working Betamax equipment & Laserdiscs, which are 80's old-school! More importantly, a lot of the more obscure stuff I like has only ever legally existed for home use on DVD.

6 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Me! 

I have as of yet to get any Blu-Ray's. As long as regular DVD's are still available I am going to keep buying them. 

Though I have a feeling that may not be very much longer. But who knows?