Det Jim McLeod

Finally! I Have Seen All Of Cary Grant's Films

71 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Stephan55 said:

...Haha, I finally found a couple of those commercials...  :D
The host's name was Chick Lambert, and in S. Calif. he worked for Ralph Williams Ford.
He was a precurser to Cal Worthington

Yep, I remember ol' Chick alright, Stephan.

And, I believe Worthington started his whole "Here's Cal Worthington and his dog Spot" thing using a variety of different animals in his commercials as a parody of Chick.

(...and speaking of SoCal car dealerships...you might also remember seeing actor Leon Ames doing commercials for his Ford dealerships back in the day...one of his dealerships was even in our old neck of the woods there in Hermosa Beach, right where Pier Ave met PCH)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dargo said:

Yep, I remember ol' Chick alright, Stephan.

And, I believe Worthington started his whole "Here's Cal Worthington and his dog Spot" thing using a variety of different animals in his commercials as a parody of Chick.

(...and speaking of SoCal car dealerships...you might also remember seeing actor Leon Ames doing commercials for his Ford dealerships back in the day...one of his dealerships was even in our old neck of the woods there in Hermosa Beach, right where Pier Ave met PCH)

I agree, and yes, now that you mention it I seem to recall Leon Ames Ford, in Hermosa. :)
Also a Fred Astaire Dance studio either on Imperial Hwy, or Century Blvd.

Hey,
Did you check out either of those "Chick" clips?
I posted them just for you and expected to see at least 1 ha ha emoticon :(

What sticks out for me in The Howards of Virginia is the wig Cary had to wear.

1 hour ago, Stephan55 said:

I agree, and yes, now that you mention it I seem to recall Leon Ames Ford, in Hermosa. :)
Also a Fred Astaire Dance studio either on Imperial Hwy, or Century Blvd.

Hey,
Did you check out either of those "Chick" clips?
I posted them just for you and expected to see at least 1 ha ha emoticon :(

Actually Stephan, no, I have to admit I hadn't watched those old Chick Lambert ads you earlier posted until just now and after reading this latest posting of yours here!

And, now I AM laughing big time after watching 'em! I didn't know or remember Chick being that hilarious!

LOL

But of course, THOSE particular commercials were never to be "for public consumption".

(...btw, I'm sure you also remember his boss Ralph Williams also doing his own commercials back in the day too...in fact, I used to do a pretty good Ralph Williams impression myself back in the day...he had a very distinct manner of speaking as you may recall...almost as if the guy suffered from lockjaw!)

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Dargo said:

Actually Stephan, no, I have to admit I hadn't watched those old Chick Lambert ads you earlier posted until just now and after reading this latest posting of yours here!

And, now I AM laughing big time after watching 'em! I didn't know or remember Chick being that hilarious!

LOL

But of course, THOSE particular commercials were never to be "for public consumption".

(...btw, I'm sure you also remember his boss Ralph Williams also doing his own commercials back in the day too...in fact, I used to do a pretty good Ralph Williams impression myself back in the day...he had a very distinct manner of speaking as you may recall...almost as if the guy suffered from lockjaw!)

"Hi, I'm Ralph Williams of Ralph Williams Ford, and I want to sell you a car or truck." :D
I can see his face and hear his voice now, but damn, I can't find one of his commercials on the net....
His voice reminded me of somebody who was talking with a mouth full of ****.
Maybe his tongue was just to big for his mouth.
Can you imagine him doing a TCM intro??? :P

Hey, Remember that Stanley Chevrolet commercial... That damn little jingle is burned into my mind forever... :blink:

"Stanley, Stanley, Stanley Chevrolet,
Two blocks off the Santa Ana Freeway,
11980 East Firestone,
Stanley Chevrolet
."  doo doo

• Like 1

On 5/9/2018 at 7:57 AM, Det Jim McLeod said:

This is in my top five favorites of his films. That scene with the judge is still very moving today and one of Grant's greatest moments on film. I like the way the film starts as romantic comedy, then gets into some family fun, (the scene where Grant is trying to keep the baby from crying is hilarious) and later the dramatic and tragic moments work equally well. 

The first time I saw it I was shocked that it went in a totally different direction. I completely bawled my eyes out and was more shocked at how that scene got me.  Maybe it was the little girl how precious she is in the angel scene, reminding me of my own kids and how much you hurt when they hurt.   Watching Grant and Dunne sit their with ridiculous pride on their faces over the littlest things a child does, so true and convincing.  I have to sit down and watch every time it's on. 

• Like 1

Super to hear from a REAL FAN (of anyone!)

(IMHO, i'm sick of star "biography" writers who don't even bother to watch their subject's movies!)

Great to read your post.

I would have to say FATHER GOOSE, because that role was the hardest for him to film and to "sell" to an audience, and still make wonderful after many years.

A selfish, hermit, alcoholic who has hidden away in Micronesia, and who is still wonderful to watch and to get to know.

Cary nails it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 12:14 AM, speedracer5 said:

One thing I've found with Cary Grant, is that I don't think he is particularly that good in costume pictures.  Some actors, like Errol Flynn, for example, are fantastic in costume films.  Cary Grant's persona however is so modern, so contemporary, that he just seems awkward and miscast.  Whereas some actors, like Flynn again, for example, seem at ease in a costume picture and contemporary films.  I'm not exactly sure why that is, but some actors' personalities are very modern and very "now." Bogart is another one who I couldn't picture in a costume picture.  He is horribly miscast in Virginia City, a western. I think Cary Grant would be ridiculous in a western. 

I agree, costume period films was one genre that Cary just wasn't cut out for.

Don't think Bogey was ever in a film set in the 17th or 18th century, was he? I certainly can't see him in powdered wigs, fancy costumes, and ponytails either.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Don't think Bogey was ever in a film set in the 17th or 18th century, was he? I certainly can't see him in powdered rigs, fancy costumes, and ponytails either.

Well actually Beth, and believe it or not(and I wouldn't if I were you) that word is Bogie looked pretty darn dapper in that Beau Brummell outfit he wore during that Halloween party he and Betty Bacall threw back in '52, anyway!

(...in fact, they say during this little soiree, Liberace especially was so impressed with how well Bogie pulled off that whole look that it would become the basis for his own later stage apparel)

;)

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Don't think Bogey was ever in a film set in the 17th or 18th century, was he? I certainly can't see him in powdered wigs, fancy costumes, and ponytails either.

I'd say however, that Grant would be more convincing as an 18th or 19th century British aristocrat  than RICHARD WIDMARK ever was as a VIKING!  :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I'd say however, that Grant would be more convincing as an 18th or 19th century British aristocrat  than RICHARD WIDMARK ever was as a VIKING!  :rolleyes:

I agree with you about CG, but counter, that at least Widmark had the "blond" Nordic "look" of a viking. ;)

Just imagine if Grant had starred in movies he turned down.

He was the first choice for James Bond in "Dr. No."

He might have co-starred earlier with Audrey Hepburn in the films "Roman Holiday," "Sabrina" and "Love in the Afternoon" (poor Billy Wilder could never persuade Grant to work with him).

He might have been George Bailey in "It's a Wonderful Life," but it never worked out.

He could have been Holly Martins in "The Third Man."

George Cukor wanted him for the Norman Maine role in the 1954 version of "A Star Is Born." Grant also turned down a chance to star as Professor Henry Higgins in Cukor's Oscar-winning musical version of "My Fair Lady."

He had a chance to play William Holden's role in "Bridge on the River Kwai."

He was offered the role of Don Quixote in the film version of the stage musical "Man of La Mancha." But he refused to come out of retirement.

Warren Beatty wanted him to play Mr. Jordan in "Heaven Can Wait." Grant once again stuck to his decision to retire.

Related image

Grant and Hepburn might have teamed up earlier if things had worked out

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:56 AM, TopBilled said:

Your thread brings home the truth that even the most well-regarded film stars have obscure films. So unless someone is a completist, chances are they will never know the full film output of their favorite stars.

Making it easier for you, Jim, is the fact Grant didn't guest star on TV. But a lot of his contemporaries did, and some of them did roles on short-lived programs that were never syndicated or sold on home video. So often it's rather difficult to see all of a person's screen work.

As usual TOP, hate to bust his bubble too, but all books always cite 1966 flat (**) "Walk, Don';t Run" as his last, He says he simple got board   Once a grand pal of whom I met on these forums, must be 15yrs ago HOLLY KRAP, got to accidental meet her fav & idol *CAGNEY once at his Verney Farms, NY estate-(much longer story)  He gave her a thick blanket because he figured they may have to wait until a longtime fore mechanic cannot get back & it wassd really getting closed Her made her keep that blanket as obviously a souvenir

Anyway, Holly also worked on Masdison ASve & when Grant later sold cosmetics, she'd see him in the place couple times weekly, but just wasn't one of fans   GO-FURE

• Confused 1

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:43 AM, Det Jim McLeod said:

All 72 of them. He is my favorite actor. Due to purchasing Cary Grant The Vault Collection DVD and checking on youtube, I have now seen every film he has done.

These are the ones that were on the DVD that I hadn't seen before

This Is The Night

Woman Accused

Kiss And Make Up

Ladies Should Listen

Enter Madam

Wings In The Dark

The Last Outpost

Wedding Present

These are two I was only able to find on youtube,Grant only has bit parts in them

Sinners In The Sun

Merrily We Go To Hell

I thought these two are the best:

Kiss and Make Up (1934) a still timely comedy about cosmetics and woman striving for youth and beauty. Grant is a plastic surgeon with huge clientele. Edward Everett Horton is a man who loses his wife to Grant after she gets a makeover. The wife is played by Genevieve Tobin, a Joan Blondell look a like. Grant also has a secretary who is also in love with him, she is played by dark haired Helen Mack, a good actress with a quirky kind of beauty. Her most famous part was probably in the inferior "King Kong" sequel, "Son Of Kong". There are some good laughs in this one and Grant even gets to sing a catchy tune "Love Divided By Two".

The Last Outpost (1935) This is a war film with soap opera thrown in.Claude Rains is the co star and he is great as always. Rains and Grant end up in a romantic triangle with Gertrude Michael. There are some twist and turns to this story so I don't want to reveal too much. This is well worth seeking out.

Nearly all of these early Grant films were Pre Code so that gives them an extra edge. All are watchable, though none are all that great. His first "This Is The Night" (1932) is Ok but has an unbelievable story. Grant is married to Thelma Todd and she is cheating on him with Roland Young(!). Grant has a star making entrance though.

I believe my favorite Grant films ever are

Bringing Up Baby (1938) the greatest screwball comedy ever

Gunga Din (1939) the greatest action/adventure film ever

Arsenic And Old Lace (1944) the greatest black comedy ever

Has anyone else seen all of Grant's films? What are your favorites?

I take it Archie Leach is you A No. 1 in cinema history, am I right?

A short item on the fella & his love of getting (72) dvd's or whatec

ver on the legendary Alexader Archibalnd Leach

& only my top 5   "ESSENTIAL CARY GRANT CHOCES"-(just like a tcm "GP")

1st fav. "Bringing Up Baby"-(only Cary & *Spence could handle outright comedy & then dangerous drama)

2. "His Girl Friday"

3. "Gunga Din"-(& shot in Lone Pine, 115 in the shade & where yrs later M-G-M shot the superb "Bad Day at Black Rock" (l955)

4. "North by Northwest"-(after the $financial$ failure of "Vertigo"-(*Jimmy got the last laugh on Hitch, in 2012 unseated "Kane" as a the A #1 greatest picture ever made & after 50yrs at the top) & then Hitch blamed "Veritgo" lower $B.O.$ he publicly said it was due to his appearing older? Cary was 4yrs older though?

5th "Only Angels Have Wings"

(HONORABLE MENTION: Not only me but others truly thought he not only deserved a 3rd nod for 1944's "Arsenic and Old Lace" & WIN AS WELL! He wasn't go do the film, saying J. Benny woulda' been better)

Tony Curtis always swore duriung WW2 after watching his idol Cary Grant in 1944's Destination Tokyo" (***1/2)

& then 15yrs later the 2 did "0peration, Petticoat"

& I've long said that thee epitome of what a golden Age of Hollywood should look like is Mr. Leach (P.S. don't know what cable to have, but a docu is on a lot over last few moths to "Becoming: Cary Grant" (***1/2)

& despite AFI snubbing him outrageously for it's annual lifetime award, strangely in it's  "!00yrs...100 Stars" (l999 poll)  & dig this,  was only a runner up to *BOGEY!

THANX & LET ME KJNOW IF SOME OF THIS HELPED YOU. (Elizabeth Allen of reelclassic.com) her a goof photo at his Bristol birthplace, or she did?)

3 hours ago, spence said:

As usual TOP, hate to bust his bubble too, but all books always cite 1966 flat (**) "Walk, Don';t Run" as his last, He says he simple got board   Once a grand pal of whom I met on these forums, must be 15yrs ago HOLLY KRAP, got to accidental meet her fav & idol *CAGNEY once at his Verney Farms, NY estate-(much longer story)  He gave her a thick blanket because he figured they may have to wait until a longtime fore mechanic cannot get back & it wassd really getting closed Her made her keep that blanket as obviously a souvenir

Anyway, Holly also worked on Masdison ASve & when Grant later sold cosmetics, she'd see him in the place couple times weekly, but just wasn't one of fans   GO-FURE

Well not everyone is going to be a fan.

My expression when I am in the mood for a CG movie is: "Car(r)y me back to Cary Grant."

On 5/14/2018 at 6:16 AM, spence said:

need English translation on this

To Jim, a bit of trivia for ya did you know *CAGFNEY chose same cemetary as real lie gangster "Dutch" Schultz? But Babe Ruth also chose it

*TRACY on the other hand choose a huge mtn (318 acres all up mammoth hills to the top where he is & 3 family members)  I wasn't as sick yet then-(SPINE,etc) So like a big dummy I marched all way up on first visit!!! & fell down a hill landing on *D. Crisps' modest grave & a huge hill, again

That is GELENDALE-=(not to be confused with the one in HOLLYWOOD HILLS) "FOREST LAWN, CEM.)

Flynn is closest star near his fancy garden grave, only about 35ft away, but was so broke, couldn't even afford a marker? Flynn's fan club Zaccha installed one yrs later  THEY DUBBED THIS PLACE THE DISNEYLAND OF GRAVEYARDS" But if you go be warned staff vis rude  Got to stay at same motel on all 3 trips-(777 n. vine) & could see Paramount water tower RKO once shared same lot

& THANX TO SOCIETY H. BLVD IS NOWHERE TO BE COSE TO AFTER SUN GOES DOWN

Hope to hear from ya

J.S.

WELP, TCM IS AT IT'S NONSENSE ONCE AGAIN??? I attempted to add more of not only Jr. Grant but more of tat glorious era & got cut off, AGAIN?   It was mainly about him, Holly, *Cagney & Holly  PLEASE DROP ME A REGULAR LINE EITHER  BY E-MAIL OR EVEN A PHONE   Seem to have a lot to talk about  & I even compiled by own top5 "Essential Cary Flix"-(BYE, BYE)

& ASFI's snobbery & of course *Oscars towards the man

& of course wat to see your top 5-10 favs of his 66 flix???

THANX