Sign in to follow this  
jaragon

Gays in Marvel

10 posts in this topic

I just saw "Avengers: Infinity War" which I thought was ok- but I kept thinking about the lack of gay characters

the marvel cinematic universe.  There are teases of course- Captain America and Bucky...Thor and Loki...but nothing real

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, jaragon said:

I just saw "Avengers: Infinity War" which I thought was ok- but I kept thinking about the lack of gay characters

the marvel cinematic universe.  There are teases of course- Captain America and Bucky...Thor and Loki...but nothing real

Well, Thor and Loki are brothers, so that would be...weird.

There are jokes about Captain America being a 90 year old virgin, since it's never been established that he's had a relationship with anyone, just some longing looks at Hayley Atwell (and maybe Bucky).

The only gay Marvel comics characters that I can recall were Northstar, who was in Alpha Flight, which is owned by Fox as part of the X-Men universe, and the Rawhide Kid, an old western character.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"North Star" did come out as gay- the Thor - Loki bromance comes out because the way Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddeston play the characters.  Steve Rogers also flirted with The Falcon in "Winter Soldier" which is still one of the best Marvel movies.  My point is this that in such an overcrowded movie there was room for at least one gay character- I did not believe the big romance between Vision and the Scarlett Witch- they had no chemistry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jaragon said:

"North Star" did come out as gay- the Thor - Loki bromance comes out because the way Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddeston play the characters.  Steve Rogers also flirted with The Falcon in "Winter Soldier" which is still one of the best Marvel movies.  My point is this that in such an overcrowded movie there was room for at least one gay character- I did not believe the big romance between Vision and the Scarlett Witch- they had no chemistry.

No, they didn't, although the Vision + Scarlet Witch romance is iconic in the Marvel world, not just for the oddity of a person married to an android, but there's a major plot development wherein Scarlet Witch ends up pregnant (her unpredictable powers made it possible) resulting in no small amount of chaos. It's been predicted that this storyline from the comics may become the plot of a future Avengers movie.

I like both Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany. Olsen's Scarlet Witch isn't bad considering the restrictions on her character (in the comics she's the daughter of Magneto, the X-Men arch-villain, and that's a big part  of her story, but it couldn't be included in the MCU due to Fox owning the rights to Magneto). But I didn't care much for the Vision as depicted in the films. He lacked the unearthly, discomfiting quality of the comics character. But his comic book origin was way too convoluted to try and tackle in one movie, and his appearance, with pupil-less eyes, would probably be considered too restrictive in a live action environment.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

No, they didn't, although the Vision + Scarlet Witch romance is iconic in the Marvel world, not just for the oddity of a person married to an android, but there's a major plot development wherein Scarlet Witch ends up pregnant (her unpredictable powers made it possible) resulting in no small amount of chaos. It's been predicted that this storyline from the comics may become the plot of a future Avengers movie.

I like both Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany. Olsen's Scarlet Witch isn't bad considering the restrictions on her character (in the comics she's the daughter of Magneto, the X-Men arch-villain, and that's a big part  of her story, but it couldn't be included in the MCU due to Fox owning the rights to Magneto). But I didn't care much for the Vision as depicted in the films. He lacked the unearthly, discomfiting quality of the comics character. But his comic book origin was way too convoluted to try and tackle in one movie, and his appearance, with pupil-less eyes, would probably be considered too restrictive in a live action environment.

 

Thanks for the Marvel history lesson- yes those comic book plots can be amazingly convoluted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, jaragon said:

Thanks for the Marvel history lesson- yes those comic book plots can be amazingly convoluted.

I haven't been an active reader of comics for about 20 years, although I'll hear or read about stories online occasionally. I looked up LGBTQ comic characters and was surprised to see so few. It seems that most of them in Marvel are all associated with the X-Men.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These two should play gay lovers they do have a great chemistry...

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us