[[Template core/front/global/tcmTabBar is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Sign in to follow this  
MovieMadness

Please dump the blacklisting reminders

104 posts in this topic

At the end of another movie they just had to remind everyone about blacklisting again. Someone post the violins please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MovieMadness said:

At the end of another movie they just had to remind everyone about blacklisting again. Someone post the violins please.

It's a huge liberal cause, which TCM supports. So I doubt they will stop mentioning it.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

It's a huge liberal cause, which TCM supports. So I doubt they will stop mentioning it.

I wouldn't call it, a liberal cause-- I would call it a big part of post-War Hollywood history. However, on this particular point, they may be overdoing it.

But I'm a big proponent of learning all I can about the behind-the-scenes people who actually made these films. 

It would be even better if they could extend this procedure to other topics and issues in Hollywood history.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

I wouldn't call it, a liberal cause-- I would call it a big part of post-War Hollywood history. However, on this particular point, they may be overdoing it.

But I'm a big proponent of learning all I can about the behind-the-scenes people who actually made these films. 

It would be even better if they could extend this procedure to other topics and issues in Hollywood history.

It actually IS a liberal cause. It taps into all that anti-censorship stuff. But by labeling it a liberal cause, I am not saying it's a wrong cause to take up. Just that it's glaringly obvious in its political origins, and TCM is certainly in favor of promoting it. They've become very didactic about it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only if you think liberals today still oppose censorship.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fedya said:

Only if you think liberals today still oppose censorship.

Oh no...I see stormy political waters ahead. LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Fedya said:

Only if you think liberals today still oppose censorship.

I assume there is a "wink" behind this post.    Clearly many liberals are pushing for private business to practice self-censorship;   e.g. The theater in Atlanta that will no longer show Gone With The Wind due to political pressure.

As far as we know TCM hasn't bent to political pressure as it relates to what films it shows (but some people believe TCM does,  and cite no Charley Chan films as an example).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

It actually IS a liberal cause. It taps into all that anti-censorship stuff. But by labeling it a liberal cause, I am not saying it's a wrong cause to take up. Just that it's glaringly obvious in its political origins, and TCM is certainly in favor of promoting it. They've become very didactic about it.

I think it's an American US Constitutional cause. Human Rights and freedom of speech and all that sort of thing.

That's what we call the American way.

 I don't think you should label human rights or people fighting for human rights as being from any one political affiliation-- that's what America is all about. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Princess of Tap said:

I think it's an American US Constitutional cause. Human Rights and freedom of speech and all that sort of thing.

That's what we call the American way.

 I don't think you should label human rights or people fighting for human rights as being from any one political affiliation-- that's what America is all about. 

Sorry but while I like the overall sentiment of what you are saying, I cannot agree. That's because I think some groups use human rights issues to promote a certain type of politics.

When the OP came on and created this thread, we knew he didn't like the blacklisting stuff. But my thought was he didn't understand why TCM is not going to stop doing this. TCM has a business model but also it is a very political-driven machine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I assume there is a "wink" behind this post.    Clearly many liberals are pushing for private business to practice self-censorship;   e.g. The theater in Atlanta that will no longer show Gone With The Wind due to political pressure.

As far as we know TCM hasn't bent to political pressure as it relates to what films it shows (but some people believe TCM does,  and cite no Charley Chan films as an example).

 

 I love Charlie Chan films very much.  But on the other hand I can see how they may be offensive to some people.

Since I'm not Chinese American or Chinese anything, I don't think it's my call as to say what would be offensive to a certain group of people. But I think we've been through all this before a while back.

Yeah, when talking about anything whether it's Birth of a Nation or Gone with the Wind-- it's always best to keep primary sources alive and well and shown when possible with the caveats that you have a discussion and you're open to all viewpoints on the issue.

TCM is not a university or any kind of academic organization, so they're here to make money. I imagine a lot of their policies have to do with not offending a lot of people and being profitable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

Sorry but while I like the overall sentiment of what you are saying, I cannot agree. That's because I think some groups use human rights issues to promote a certain type of politics.

When the OP came on and created this thread, we knew he didn't like the blacklisting stuff. But my thought was he didn't understand why TCM is not going to stop doing this. TCM has a business model but also it is a very political-driven machine.

Well as I said in my second post I think any business is there primarily for the profit and you learned a long time ago in any kind of a business that you got to know your audience. It's profit-driven and they're pleasing Their audience or they would not have one.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TCM is about film history. Blacklisting is a part of that history.  Just as they talk about pre-code, and the Hays code, and how that influenced films, they can't ignore a major influence on the industry and the careers of many of the actors.

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Blacklist did damage to the whole Film Industry in the 1950s.  It hit hard the screenwriters, directors and many actors.  A good portion of the Blacklisties were Jewish.  Big hint of Anti Semitism.

Let me list some of the people who were Blacklisted.  Actors John Garfield, Charlie Chaplin ,Zero Mostel , Ann Revere and other lesser known actors and actresses, Directors Joseph Losey, Jules Dassin, John Berry, Screenwriters Dalton Trumbo and others. You can get a glimpse of the draining of the talent pool.

One more issue, The Supreme Court eventually deemed the Blacklist as Unconstitutional after, the victims sued the studios for their discriminatory practices. By 1957, the blacklist was breaking.

I hope nothing like that ever happens again.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Hollywood" conveniently blacklists people today for political views just like they did back then, but no word on that from TCM. It's called selective amnesia on history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MovieMadness said:

At the end of another movie they just had to remind everyone about blacklisting again. Someone post the violins please.

Do you feel the same about the Jews and the Holocaust, or Blacks and the Jim Crow South and Segregation?

People who get f'ed by another group of people aren't gonna forgedaboudit.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, MovieMadness said:

"Hollywood" conveniently blacklists people today for political views just like they did back then, but no word on that from TCM. It's called selective amnesia on history.

Who is being forced to leave the country and live in exile? Comparing no one wanting to watch God's Not Dead 3 to Chaplin being forced to live in exile is just ludicrous. :rolleyes: 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taking away someone's job is blacklisting. Again it's happening today, and no crying over those actors, so thanks for proving my point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nowadays, it is ageism that affects actresses more than actors.  Unless you are Meryl Streep, an actress' shelf life is less than 10 years.

Daphne

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, MovieMadness said:

Taking away someone's job is blacklisting. Again it's happening today, and no crying over those actors, so thanks for proving my point.

Instead of making a vague allegation, MM, please provide a list of those blacklisted actors today to prove your point.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Instead of making a vague allegation, MM, please provide a list of those blacklisted actors today to prove your point.

He's probably afraid to, because he knows others will rip his list to shreds and upend any other point of view he espouses. He knows that when someone says please give me a list, it could lead into less respectful differences of opinion.

There's this habit people have of not just letting a comment slide. I think the political fights in the off-topics forum are spilling over on to threads in these other forums. TCM is creating a monster by not getting rid of those political threads and by not throwing that whole off-topics forum on to the trash heap. In my opinion it's making everyone quarrel more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If a person makes an allegation that actors are being blackmailed today it is not unreasonable to ask for a list of a few names. If he refuses to provide those names he's all hot air trolling the boards.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

He's probably afraid to, because he knows others will rip his list to shreds and upend any other point of view he espouses. He knows that when someone says please give me a list, it could lead into less respectful differences of opinion.

There's this habit people have of not just letting a comment slide. I think the political fights in the off-topics forum are spilling over on to threads in these other forums. TCM is creating a monster by not getting rid of those political threads and by not throwing that whole off-topics forum on to the trash heap. In my opinion it's making everyone quarrel more.

No, it's because he has no list and just wants to whine about everyone who isn't conservative. TB, do you seriously believe any Hollywood actors today go through anything close to what Chaplin and his friends did? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since we're in the midst of a new era of blacklisting show biz people (but not politicians) for sexual misbehaviors (real and imagined), I would say it's a damned good idea to keep reminding people that this sort of this has happened in the past and is happening now. Yes, some were guilty as charged in the 1940s/50s but many were not. Rumor, innuendo, and lies stoked by revenge do not prove guilt. They didn't then, and they do not now.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Instead of making a vague allegation, MM, please provide a list of those blacklisted actors today to prove your point.

Mel Gibson would be one.   Other actors like Jon Voight have said they can't get work because of their political views but in the case of Voight I never accepted that;  instead he just aged poorly and like a lot of older actors can only get lower budget films.

But even if one accepts the premise that conservative actors have a more difficult tasks of getting 'gigs' in liberal Hollywood,   I fail to see how that relates to TCM mentioning the blacklist period.  TCM is focused on movies from the era associated with the blacklist period and not on recent movies \ current actors.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us