TopBilled

Should TCM stop doing Memorial Day weekend marathons and "glamorizing" war?

168 posts in this topic

As the day IS centered around recognition and salutatory displays for those who died in the protection of this country and it's principles, they would have to abandon their own principles and dig up a copy of the 1981 TV movie KENT STATE. I mean if you wanna throw PEACE into the mix.

Sepiatone

16 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

As the day IS centered around recognition and salutatory displays for those who died in the protection of this country and it's principles, they would have to abandon their own principles and dig up a copy of the 1981 TV movie KENT STATE. I mean if you wanna throw PEACE into the mix.

Sepiatone

Interesting aspect.  Memorial Day  is to honor those in the military who died in conflicts.  That certainly narrows the movie choices.  Not saying the movie Kent State would not be interesting and worth showing, but it would not fit the narrow purpose of "Memorial Day."

Perhaps TCM needs to expand its Veterans Day offerings.  There are also other "days" for military.  A few are National Vietnam War Veterans Day (March 29); Gold Star Spouses Day (Apr 4); Armed Forces Day (3rd Sat in May); Veterans Day and several more to include the birthdays of each branch of the military.

Perhaps Kent State and other "peace movies" would fit into some of the other days.  I could see them as part of Veterans Day as veterans were involved to varying extent.

1 hour ago, TheCid said:

Interesting aspect.  Memorial Day  is to honor those in the military who died in conflicts.  That certainly narrows the movie choices.  Not saying the movie Kent State would not be interesting and worth showing, but it would not fit the narrow purpose of "Memorial Day."

Perhaps TCM needs to expand its Veterans Day offerings.  There are also other "days" for military.  A few are National Vietnam War Veterans Day (March 29); Gold Star Spouses Day (Apr 4); Armed Forces Day (3rd Sat in May); Veterans Day and several more to include the birthdays of each branch of the military.

Perhaps Kent State and other "peace movies" would fit into some of the other days.  I could see them as part of Veterans Day as veterans were involved to varying extent.

The real point is that they don't need to air war films over five days for a one day observance. It would not hurt for TCM to broadcast films about peace during the weekend and save Monday for time-honored films that memorialize the sacrifices that were made on the road to peace. And this includes home front stories where there is no bloodshed.

• Like 1

This entire concept is ASININE SPORTS FANS-(NOTE:comments not directed to our pal TopBilled though, only this concept is to others reading this

& not to drawn on about this, what about "COMING HOME?" & of course "BEST YRS OF LIVES"

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

The real point is that they don't to air war films over five days for a one day observance. It would not hurt for TCM to broadcast films about peace during the weekend and save Monday for time-honored films that memorialize the sacrifices that were made on the road to peace. And this includes home front stories where there is no bloodshed.

Yeah, I agree with you on this point. Five day blocs to celebrate one holiday seems like over kill. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, spence said:

...what about "COMING HOME?" & of course "BEST YRS OF LIVES"

COMING HOME is a good anti-war film. So is BORN ON THE FOURTH OF JULY.

Both pictures were inspired by the life of Ron Kovic.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2018 at 1:12 PM, TopBilled said:

To be honest I dread the three and a half days that TCM devotes to war films each year at the end of May. It's not because I dislike the films per se, some of them are true classics and competently made. But it seems like overkill, pun intended.

Also wouldn't it be refreshing if they could just set those films aside one year and do a whole weekend on anti-war films or films where the main message is about peace?

Thoughts..?

Well, I have never been a fan of war films but not for the good reason of hoping wars end, but just because I don't enjoy them. Yet I think there are a lot of people who probably do like them, so I just bide my time and don't watch TCM for a few days each year when they schedule a slew of them. It's odd since I love history and would watch a documentary of Patton, or MacArthur or the Normandy Beach landing, or Eddie Rickenbacker but really can't get into these films. I might not be alone though since a friend of mine had an aunt who was elderly and lived through WWII in Japan. One day in the 1990's the film "Tora Tora Tora" came on tv, and the aunt was watching. After a while they told her it was time for dinner, and she said "I can't leave now, I want to see who wins this war."

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

After a while they told her it was time for dinner, and she said "I can't leave now, I want to see who wins this war."

She was a historical revisionist at heart.  :)

3 minutes ago, FilmSnob said:

She was a historical revisionist at heart.  :)

Isn't that funny and I get your drift!

I found that story so funny, and it proves that for some, movies are not about real life maybe?

7 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

and it proves that for some, movies are not about real life maybe?

Could be. People never cease to amaze me!

On 5/13/2018 at 1:06 PM, TopBilled said:

He also repeated this "coup" with his Oscar victory for HIGH NOON...that time he was the so-called common man in an allegory about a different kind of war (the McCarthyist war against communism). So he was used twice and awarded Oscars twice for movies that had at their core radical reactionary American aggression.

Sorry TB, but I'm feeling the need to clarify this comment you made earlier in regard to Gary Cooper's Will Kane character in High Noon.

In fact, Will Kane was NOT modeled after a "radical reactionary American" character, and the overall theme of High Noon is in no way a "glorification" of McCarthyism. It is in fact a repudiation and an "object lesson" against the idea of people not taking a stand against the McCarthyistic practice of blacklisting which was taking place during the time of this film's production.

(...why do you think John Wayne turned down the role of Will Kane?...it was because even that big lug was smart enough to figure out what screenwriter Carl Foreman's piece was so subtly and allegorically suggesting...and despite Foreman's later halfhearted protestations to the contrary)

5 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Yeah, I agree with you on this point. Five day blocs to celebrate one holiday seems like over kill. 

GERSHWIN FAN,-(marvelous handle pal "RHASODY IN BLUE" is among my overall top # fav. numbers!!!  I know you musta' seen "Manhattan" right?)   (TRIVIA: What is basically the earliest film in war?  I'll give it to you *Lancaster's very good & somber 1977 "Go Tell the Spartans" My dad joined marine's just afterward, entire company was killed & this was before it really got HOT-(l966, 67 & 1968-(YET) only my grandfather lived, but died in a reg plane crash back here. My dad almost lost his arm, but built it back up, strangely dying in a car crash abiout 6yrs back  GO-FIFURE   Ever see "We Were Soldiers" (2002) ($81m.) that was '65

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TopBilled said:

COMING HOME is a good anti-war film. So is BORN ON THE FOURTH OF JULY.

Both pictures were inspired by the life of Ron Kovic.

My father then for the 1989 G. Globes kept swearing Kovic was a big HERO during that war, thing is when the Globes were announced Kovic won for writing, it won BD-Stone) & Cruise even won lead actor for it, but over the stunningly detailed work by  *D. Day in "My Left Foot???"

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, spence said:

My father then for the 1989 G. Globes kept swearing Kovic was a big HERO during that war, thing is when the Globes were announced Kovic won for writing, it won BD-Stone) & Cruise even won lead actor for it, but over the stunningly detailed work by  *D. Day in "My Left Foot???"

Did not know about him & the even superior "CH" though?   I'll never 4-get *J. Fonda was  outside D. Chandler Pavillion yelling that *"THE DEER HUNTER"-(swept 5 & richly deserved) was rascist &her own great film was not?

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, TopBilled said:

The real point is that they don't need to air war films over five days for a one day observance. It would not hurt for TCM to broadcast films about peace during the weekend and save Monday for time-honored films that memorialize the sacrifices that were made on the road to peace. And this includes home front stories where there is no bloodshed.

I agree that five days or even two is too many.  However, if the Memorial Day Marathon is supposed to be for Memorial Day and what it means, not sure that "time-honored films that memorialize the sacrifices that were made on the road to peace," whatever they are, would be appropriate.  Not sure what "home front stories where there is no bloodshed" is appropriate on Memorial Day.  You would have to connect it to a loss of life in the conflicts.

I am taking the strict viewpoint that Memorial Day is to honor those who died in conflicts.  Show other types of movies on day before, day after or other days.  Here again, I think Veterans Day would be appropriate as veterans experience all aspects of military service.

5 hours ago, spence said:

This entire concept is ASININE SPORTS FANS-(NOTE:comments not directed to our pal TopBilled though, only this concept is to others reading this

& not to drawn on about this, what about "COMING HOME?" & of course "BEST YRS OF LIVES"

This really confuses me.  Especially the reference to "sports fans."  What concept is asinine?  If the concept of movies to "memoralize war" is asinine, why are Coming Home and Best Years of Our Lives appropriate, especially BYOOL?  If I remember correctly, BYOOL is pretty positive about the war compared to Coming Home.

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Sorry TB, but I'm feeling the need to clarify this comment you made earlier in regard to Gary Cooper's Will Kane character in High Noon.

In fact, Will Kane was NOT modeled after a "radical reactionary American" character, and the overall theme of High Noon is in no way a "glorification" of McCarthyism. It is in fact a repudiation and an "object lesson" against the idea of people not taking a stand against the McCarthyistic practice of blacklisting which was taking place during the time of this film's production.

(...why do you think John Wayne turned down the role of Will Kane?...it was because even that big lug was smart enough to figure out what screenwriter Carl Foreman's piece was so subtly and allegorically suggesting...and despite Foreman's later halfhearted protestations to the contrary)

Thanks for the comment. I did not say HIGH NOON was a glorification of McCarthyism. I said it was an allegory about the war on communism. The mistake people make is in assuming it was an object lesson. It was in fact liberal propaganda against conservative monitoring of radical activities. That's why Wayne turned it down.

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

Thanks for the comment. I did not say HIGH NOON was a glorification of McCarthyism. I said it was an allegory about the war on communism. The mistake people make is in assuming it was an object lesson. It was in fact liberal propaganda against conservative monitoring of radical activities. That's why Wayne turned it down.

Well, you might call it "liberal propaganda" here if ya want TB, but tell ya what!

I'll continue think of it as more that "object lesson" I mentioned earlier, thank you very much.

(...an "object lesson" about the dangers of people forgetting that this country has a First Amendment which guarantees them the right to free speech without governmental retribution, and regardless their political leanings)

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Well, you might call it "liberal propaganda" here if ya want TB, but tell ya what!

I'll continue think of it as more that "object lesson" I mentioned earlier, thank you very much.

(...an "object lesson" about the dangers of people forgetting that this country has a First Amendment which guarantees them the right to free speech without governmental retribution, and regardless their political leanings)

I am not saying the phrase 'liberal propaganda' as something awful or distasteful. Some liberal propaganda is needed. Some conservative propaganda IS awful and distasteful. My comment was merely to reflect why Duke said no way Jose and refused to do it.

Anytime a film becomes a "lesson" it runs the risk of becoming didactic.

22 minutes ago, TheCid said:

I am taking the strict viewpoint that Memorial Day is to honor those who died in conflicts.  Show other types of movies on day before, day after or other days.  Here again, I think Veterans Day would be appropriate as veterans experience all aspects of military service.

This is interesting and I think you make an excellent point. The fetishistic way in which we adulate the military in the U.S. is not only a problem in ways often discussed, but I think it does a disservice to the actual sacrifices made by those in the military and their families. On Memorial Day, are we really remembering and honoring the dead, the people who gave their very life? Or are we just mindlessly saying rah rah go American Troops like we do the other 360+ days of the year.

No disrespect meant to anyone, but I do think the distinction made between Memorial Day and Veterans Day is a good one ... although I'm not sure it applies to films shown on TV a couple days.

I would love to live in a country where veterans can be truly honored and remembered a few days per year, and get to watch their favorite war movie marathons on TV if they want to, while at the same time every single newscast and sporting event and public event isn't turned into an exploitative militaristic theme show.

This month is awful for themes. Seems like each day, there is a bunch of films with the same name in them, or some other theme. I don't care for war films. The TV news is bad enough. So, when someone does not like war films, it is really bad to have that sort of theme running from Friday PM until Tuesday AM. Maybe I should watch RV, with Robin Williams, on Memorial Day, then go rent one for the weekend. HEY TCM! Why not show great movies like The Long, Long Trailer instead? The other side of Memorial Day Weekend is the beginning of summer vacations. How 'bout some travelin' movies?!

12 minutes ago, FilmSnob said:

This is interesting and I think you make an excellent point. The fetishistic way in which we adulate the military in the U.S. is not only a problem in ways often discussed, but I think it does a disservice to the actual sacrifices made by those in the military and their families. On Memorial Day, are we really remembering and honoring the dead, the people who gave their very life? Or are we just mindlessly saying rah rah go American Troops like we do the other 360+ days of the year.

No disrespect meant to anyone, but I do think the distinction made between Memorial Day and Veterans Day is a good one.

Thanks.  Not sure about the "fetishistic way in which we adulate the military in the U.S."  That actually is fairly recent in modern history.  Since the Gulf War primarily.  Prior to that it sort of varied, but was hardly adulation.  After WW  II, most males were opposed to joining the military and only did so because of the draft.  Men who joined the National Guard and Reserves did so to avoid active duty, especially during Vietnam.  Civilians did not really support those in military except for members of their immediate families.

While many now may claim to "adulate" the military, in action they don't.  This is one reason why the military has a serious problem in recruiting and retention.  The Army is 30,000 recruits short compared to what it needs.

Not sure where you are, but even in very conservative, red state South Carolina, I don't see any of "rah rah go American Troops like we do the other 360+ days of the year."

Thanks for the comment re: distinction between Memorial Day and Veterans Day.  It is one I have tried to make for many years here and elsewhere.  Armed Forces day is for those who are currently in uniform, although they are also considered veterans.

• Like 1

Wish they played the whole week three days to honor veterans is not enough maybe do the whole month of May for war movies

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Tjc said:

Wish they played the whole week three days to honor veterans is not enough maybe do the whole month of May for war movies

You'd like 31 Days of War (war films)...really? Why stop there? Why not 365 days?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Thanks.  Not sure about the "fetishistic way in which we adulate the military in the U.S."  That actually is fairly recent in modern history.  Since the Gulf War primarily.  Prior to that it sort of varied, but was hardly adulation.  After WW  II, most males were opposed to joining the military and only did so because of the draft.  Men who joined the National Guard and Reserves did so to avoid active duty, especially during Vietnam.  Civilians did not really support those in military except for members of their immediate families.

While many now may claim to "adulate" the military, in action they don't.  This is one reason why the military has a serious problem in recruiting and retention.  The Army is 30,000 recruits short compared to what it needs.

Thanks for the comment re: distinction between Memorial Day and Veterans Day.  It is one I have tried to make for many years here and elsewhere.  Armed Forces day is for those who are currently in uniform, although they are also considered veterans.

I have to say that I may be on the younger side around here, my adult experience doesn't even extend back to the Gulf War. I'm only familiar with the political climate since then, which has been extraordinarily pro military. But as you said, sometimes people just go through the motions.

I can certainly appreciate the other side though, and think it was a shame what happened to Vietnam Vets during and after that war.

Another reason to have varied programming during these marathons ... the conflicts and environments that service members have endured and come home to are quite different from generation to generation.