TopBilled

Should TCM stop doing Memorial Day weekend marathons and "glamorizing" war?

168 posts in this topic

Just now, FilmSnob said:

I have to say that I may be on the younger side around here, my adult experience doesn't even extend back to the Gulf War. I'm only familiar with the political climate since then, which has been extraordinarily pro military. But as you said, sometimes people just go through the motions.

I can certainly appreciate the other side though, and think it was a shame what happened to Vietnam Vets during and after that war.

For reference, I served in Vietnam and the Gulf during those wars and retired from the Army.  So, I have seen the full range of support vs. non-support vs. outright opposition.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I am not saying the phrase 'liberal propaganda' as something awful or distasteful. Some liberal propaganda is needed. Some conservative propaganda IS awful and distasteful. My comment was merely to reflect why Duke said no way Jose and refused to do it.

Anytime a film becomes a "lesson" it runs the risk of becoming didactic.

True, quite often.

However, in the case of High Noon, one of its attributes and a reason it is so highly regarded is because it steers clear of being didactic.

(...hence my use of the word "subtly" in an earlier post of mine to you)

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dargo said:

True, quite often.

However, in the case of High Noon, one of its attributes and a reason it is so highly regarded is because it steers clear of being didactic.

Until I joined this site, I never realized that High Noon had a moralistic or political message.  Just thought it was a really good movie.  Probably true about a lot of movies I enjoy.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Thanks.  Not sure about the "fetishistic way in which we adulate the military in the U.S."  That actually is fairly recent in modern history.  Since the Gulf War primarily.  Prior to that it sort of varied, but was hardly adulation.  After WW  II, most males were opposed to joining the military and only did so because of the draft.  Men who joined the National Guard and Reserves did so to avoid active duty, especially during Vietnam.  Civilians did not really support those in military except for members of their immediate families.

While many now may claim to "adulate" the military, in action they don't.  This is one reason why the military has a serious problem in recruiting and retention.  The Army is 30,000 recruits short compared to what it needs.

Not sure where you are, but even in very conservative, red state South Carolina, I don't see any of "rah rah go American Troops like we do the other 360+ days of the year."

Thanks for the comment re: distinction between Memorial Day and Veterans Day.  It is one I have tried to make for many years here and elsewhere.  Armed Forces day is for those who are currently in uniform, although they are also considered veterans.

Your thoughts here Cid bring to mind how it presently seems(YEP, I'm gonna just come right out and say it here) that every person who is in active military service is now called "a hero" by many and in the media.

(...and is something that my WWII veteran father, who btw served in Patton's Third Armored Division in the North African, Sicily, Italy campaigns and The Battle of the Bulge, would have scoffed at being called) 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Your thoughts here Cid bring to mind how it presently seems(YEP, I'm gonna just come right out and say it here) that every person who is in active military service is now called "a hero" by many and in the media.

(...and is something that my WWII veteran father, who btw served in Patton's Third Armored Division in the North African, Sicily, Italy campaigns and The Battle of the Bulge, would have scoffed at being called) 

Over 26 years in the Army and I met a lot of people who were anything but heroes.  Also a lot who were or came close, but would have refused the designation.  I am not a hero.  While all did make sacrifices to some extent or another, that doesn't make them a "hero."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was not in the military, and my eyesight was the biggest reason. I respect our men and women in uniform. Like anyone else, I hate to see innocent lives lost, but that is war. Kind of like Classical Music, I can handle war movies in small doses. I come from the old days in radio when a disc jockey could actually decide what to play. While I don't suggest TCM does that, I don't like this constant theme stuff. In radio, we had the best songs for our format. All the songs were winners. Same goes for TCM. We like some stuff and not others, but the films are pretty much all good, if not great. My opinion, and perhaps I'm alone here, segue a couple of movies that go well together, but don't spend all day doing that. "That's My Story And I'm Stickin' To It."

28 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Over 26 years in the Army and I met a lot of people who were anything but heroes.  Also a lot who were or came close, but would have refused the designation.  I am not a hero.  While all did make sacrifices to some extent or another, that doesn't make them a "hero."

Yep. As I'm sure you know, the present situation is of course most likely a societal overreaction to how you Vietnam vets were often mistreated and/or underappreciated by much of the public and in the media back in the day, Cid.

(...gee, imagine that...Americans overreacting to somethin'...naaaaah) ;)

LOL

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jimmymac71 said:

I was not in the military, and my eyesight was the biggest reason. I respect our men and women in uniform. Like anyone else, I hate to see innocent lives lost, but that is war. Kind of like Classical Music, I can handle war movies in small doses. I come from the old days in radio when a disc jockey could actually decide what to play. While I don't suggest TCM does that, I don't like this constant theme stuff. In radio, we had the best songs for our format. All the songs were winners. Same goes for TCM. We like some stuff and not others, but the films are pretty much all good, if not great. My opinion, and perhaps I'm alone here, segue a couple of movies that go well together, but don't spend all day doing that. "That's My Story And I'm Stickin' To It."

Actually I dislike marathons, be they movies or TV series.  Some channels now show 10-15 shows from one TV series in a row.  Boring after 2 or 3.  Same for movies.  Tomorrow on TCM it's Andy Hardy on and on and on.  Particularly bad since I don't like Andy Hardy at all.

5 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Actually I dislike marathons, be they movies or TV series.  Some channels now show 10-15 shows from one TV series in a row.  Boring after 2 or 3.  Same for movies.  Tomorrow on TCM it's Andy Hardy on and on and on.  Particularly bad since I don't like Andy Hardy at all.

I agree.   Even if I like a series I would rather see no more then 2 movies from that series in a row.  Then show 2 more the following week.    Of course if one doesn't like a series at all,  one is too many (I do like some of the Andy Hardy films,  because I'm a sucker for Rooney,  but I also can see why the Mickster isn't for everyone).

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I agree.   Even if I like a series I would rather see no more then 2 movies from that series in a row.  Then show 2 more the following week.    Of course if one doesn't like a series at all,  one is too many (I do like some of the Andy Hardy films,  because I'm a sucker for Rooney,  but I also can see why the Mickster isn't for everyone).

I think many people here on the forum could program an element of TCM. I enjoy Jazz. Give me a full album and that is good, but we are programmed to listen that way. So, an album of Jazz is 10-12 songs. Give me an hour of Jazz and I could be ready for some Swing. A movie, +/- 120 minutes is different. I say Jazz, as our James can play it or listen. How much of any one thing is too much? I have a feeling TCM doesn't know. I too love Rooney, and could dig some classic Huck Finn right about now. I could watch him in Black Beauty again in the not too distant future.

Also: I've noticed many occasions lately where TCM is airing a particular film twice within just a few days. And we're not talking "tentpole" top-tier classics, but as far as I can tell, middle-of-the-road fare. What's the deal with that?

3 minutes ago, Arbogast said:

Also: I've noticed many occasions lately where TCM is airing a particular film twice within just a few days. And we're not talking "tentpole" top-tier classics, but as far as I can tell, middle-of-the-road fare. What's the deal with that?

Do you have any examples? I ask because you may be noticing the double showing of the week's Noir Alley feature. Those are shown Saturdays at midnight and then again Sunday mornings at 10 AM Eastern Time. This change was made after a lot of complaints about Noir Alley's Sunday morning broadcasts being too early/wrong day because of church/inappropriate for the timeslot.

Two thumbs up! TCM PRIMETIME - WHAT'S ON TONIGHT: TRACY & HEPBURN IN THE 50s. That works flawlessly for me. Not just Tracy and Hepburn, but the 50s. A well focused theme with just two flicks. A double feature. Thanks TCM. This Saturday 5/19. PERFECT!

I found these online, when I typed 'TCM Memorial Day' on Google images. 

You can see these are older ones and the programmers have continued to extend the marathons.

At one point it was just two days (my guess is Sunday & Monday):

screen2.jpg

Then it expanded to three days (probably Saturday, Sunday & Monday):

screen1 2.jpg

But now it starts on Friday evening and goes through Tuesday morning, for a total of 82 hours.

• Like 1

Okay. A copy of The Declaration of Independence for the first person who can name the actor shown between McQueen and Garner in this still from The Great Escape, and who played one of the three fictionalized American POWs in that film...

screen21.jpg

However to win it, you can not use the internet in order find this info. You must know it already.

(...btw, and re the aforementioned copy of this document if you DO know it and ARE the first person to correctly respond, I'm just kiddin' here...there's no way I'm sendin' one to ya...and besides, you know how the USPS is now days, doncha?!...heck, even if I DID send ya one, it'd probably get lost in the mail anyway, right?!...and besides again, most of you around here would probably be surprised to learn that the first few words in that document are NOT "We the people..." but ARE in fact "When in the course of human events...", and so there's THAT too!!!) ;)

That was Jud Taylor, who played the American lieutenant who reunites Hilts ("The Cooler King" played by Steve McQueen) with his baseball glove during the final moments of the movie.

3 minutes ago, jakeem said:

That was Jud Taylor, who played the American lieutenant who reunites Hilts ("The Cooler King" played by Steve McQueen) with his baseball glove during the final moments of the movie.

DING DING DING DING DING!

We have a winner here, folks!

I had a feelin' either you or Lawrence would probably know this, jakeem. ;)

(...good job)

3 minutes ago, Dargo said:

DING DING DING DING DING!

We have a winner here, folks!

I had a feelin' either you or Lawrence would probably know this, jakeem. ;)

(...good job)

He later became a director and helmed one of my favorite "Star Trek" episodes: "Wink of an Eye," which guest starred Kathie Browne. It was about an alien race that moved faster than the crew of The Enterprise.

Image result for star trek wink of an eye

• Like 1

Taylor also directed the acclaimed 1977 NBC TV-movie "Tail Gunner Joe," in which Peter Boyle portrayed the infamous U.S. Senator Joseph McCarthy.

Image result for tail gunner joe

7 minutes ago, jakeem said:

He later became a director and helmed one of my favorite "Star Trek" episodes: "Wink of an Eye," which guest starred Kathie Browne. It was about an alien race that moved faster than the crew of The Enterprise.

YEAH!

I've always loved stories about "fast women" TOO! ;)

(...and yep, Taylor's primarily television directorial career would become quite extensive, also) 

• Haha 1

On 5/15/2018 at 6:25 PM, Dargo said:

True, quite often.

I've always thought Dargo's posts are way too didactic and need to be expurgated.

I really don't come here to learn anything which should be obvious.

• Haha 1

It starts tonight on TCM:

screen3.jpg

8:00 p.m. The Guns of Navarone (1961)

11:00 p.m. The Dirty Dozen (1967)

1:45 a.m. Operation Crossbow (1965)

4:00 a.m. The Memphis Belle: A Story of a Flying Fortress (1944)

4:45 a.m. Wings for the Eagle (1942)

On 5/24/2018 at 2:46 PM, jakeem said:

Like her costume 😉