[[Template core/front/global/tcmTabBar is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
spence

POLL: your favs. VS. actual best? PART #1

36 posts in this topic

(*-always denotes an *Oscar winner) I already tried posting this possible funlittle poll/survey, but it was difficult, SO PLEASE JUST TAKE A FEW MNINUTES & VOTES FOR YOUR OWN FAVORITE ACTORES & ACTRESS VS. WHO ARE THE GREATEST PERFORMERS You've YET TO SEE ON "THE SILVER-SCREEN?"-(if a success I'll do films next & maybe even directoirs & hope to add these up for winn😎ers in both)>

(as you know there's usually a difference) (& not separate by eras either combined)

(EXAMPLE: I'm not fooling myself when I say my fav. lady today in cinema is Winona Ryder vs. say *Streep)

& Feel free to cast votes up to ten on each side-(P.S. Do most of you remember AFI's top 25 or 10 winners from '99 poll?)

I'll start the ball:

my top 5 all-time favorite motion picture actors:

1. *Spencer Tracy-(l900-l967)

2, *Frank Sinatra-(l9l5-98)

3. *James Cagney-(l899-l980)

4. *Charles Chaplin (l889-l977)

5th fav. Steve McQueen-(l930-80)

VS.

my top five all-time greatest actors:

1st place *Tracy

2nd *Chaplin

3rd *Marlon Brando-(924-2004)

4th *Laurence 0livier-(l907-89)

& 5th best (TIE) *Anthony Hopkins and *Daniel Day-Lewis (l957-)

my top five favorite actresses in silver-screen history:

1st Natalie Wood-(l938-8l)

2.  Greta Garbo-(l905-l990)

3. *Katharine Hepburn (l907-2003)

4. Winona Ryder-(l97l-)

& 5th favourite Michelle Pfeiffer (l958-)

(P.S. Stanwyck close behind)

top 5 greatest I've ever seen:

1st *Meryl Streep-=(l949-)

2. Greta Garbo (l905-90)

3. *Kate Hepburn (l907-2003)

4. *Ingrid Bergman-(l9l5-82)

& 5th *Vivien Leigh-(l913-67)

(P.S. *Bette Davis a close runner-up)

WELP, THERE ARE MINE, YOU CAN MAKE JOKES IF YOU LIKE, BUT PLASE CAST & JOIN IN   Hope to conduct MOVIES-(which will be much longer), FILMMAKERS & MAYBE EVEN COMPOSERS sometime

THANK YOU

& especially to TopBilled, LawrenceA, Jakeem & all others please cast your very intelligent pix

WELL, that's a drag on this oe, appears not 1 wanted to throw their views in for some reason???

WHAT DO YOU MEAN?

ONCE AGAIN A HUGE STUNNER ON THIS POST!?    I had faith ibn fellow TCM-ITES & the knowledge they have above all, that at least 1 persona would not only enjoy readsing these, but mostly want to submit their very own choices

WHAT A DRAG

& to me buddies here I most of all you fellas would throw your hand in & either just comment on this-(took over a hour) & of course cast own separate races???

(P.S. to Top, Jakeem, Lawrence & rest, was this topic dull or not, let me know please?)

5 minutes ago, spence said:

& to me buddies here I most of all you fellas would throw your hand in & either just comment on this-(took over a hour) & of course cast own separate races???

(P.S. to Top, Jakeem, Lawrence & rest, was this topic dull or not, let me know please?)

Not sure if everyone saw it Spence. You create a lot of threads so it takes time for people to read them all. Be patient. I've created my share of flop threads. LOL

Part of it may be repetition, spence. You've created similar "list your faves" threads several times, so some people may be tired of repeatedly doing so. 

There's also a whole section of the Message Boards, entitled "Your Favorites", where people make lists of favorite stars, movies, etc. and discuss them. So many people have already made these kinds of lists, perhaps several times.

http://forums.tcm.com/forum/5-your-favorites/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Part of it may be repetition, spence. You've created similar "list your faves" threads several times, so some people may be tired of repeatedly doing so. 

There's also a whole section of the Message Boards, entitled "Your Favorites", where people make lists of favorite stars, movies, etc. and discuss them. So many people have already made these kinds of lists, perhaps several times.

LawrenceA, I know about that other tcm section, but wanted to reach a broader audience

14 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Not sure if everyone saw it Spence. You create a lot of threads so it takes time for people to read them all. Be patient. I've created my share of flop threads. LOL

Will attempt to post such favs & such in favs section   (CAN YOU PLEASE VOTE THOUGH?) Respoect your opinion

This is from my profile:

FAVORITE STARS
Male 
1. Dick Powell
2. James Garner
3. Fred MacMurray
4. Jack Lemmon
5. Frank Sinatra

I list Powell first because I think if you have hit records and hit movies, then you are already a cut above other performers because your talent makes you a double-threat. But Powell was actually a triple threat, since he also directed hit movies. He later became a producer of hit television shows. Nobody covered as much ground as he did. There wasn't anything he couldn't do in Hollywood. But if we just stick to his acting, nobody has that kind of range, appearing in popular musicals, popular comedies AND popular noir.

Garner is second for me, because his personality makes him very accessible and easy to like. Nobody else was able to switch from movies to TV back to movies back to TV, etc. There were no barriers for him. He was never restricted to one medium.

MacMurray was equally likable. And what's great about him is that he played some very corrupt characters yet people remember him for the wholesome roles. So his charm exceeded any studio assignment or script given to him. He worked across all genres and he costarred with almost all the top female actresses of his generation.

Lemmon is a character actor who was able to fool producers into thinking he was a leading man. He gave many remarkable performances. He was at his best opposite Judy Holliday, Doris Day, Sandy Dennis and Anne Bancroft. And of course opposite his buddy Walter Matthau.

Sinatra is like Powell in that he was a hit with music fans as well as film and TV audiences. At a certain point Sinatra IS the story and the characters he plays serve his larger-than-life persona. I remember around 2000 I went to the wake for a coworker's father who had recently passed away. They were Italian and the mortuary played Sinatra songs over the loud speaker because her dad loved Sinatra. An Italian-American wanted his idol with him in life and in death. This told me how timeless Sinatra is for that culture. For all of us.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

This is from my profile:

FAVORITE STARS
Male 
1. Dick Powell
2. James Garner
3. Fred MacMurray
4. Jack Lemmon
5. Frank Sinatra

I list Powell first because I think if you have hit records and hit movies, then you are already a cut above other performers because your talent makes you a double-threat. But Powell was actually a triple threat, since he also directed hit movies. He later became a producer of hit television shows. Nobody covered as much ground as he did. There wasn't anything he couldn't do in Hollywood. But if we just stick to his acting, nobody has that kind of range, appearing in popular musicals, popular comedies AND popular noir.

Garner is second for me, because his personality makes him very accessible and easy to like. Nobody else was able to switch from movies to TV back to movies back to TV, etc. There were no barriers for him. He was never restricted to one medium.

MacMurray was equally likable. And what's great about him is that he played some very corrupt characters yet people remember him for the wholesome roles. So his charm exceeded any studio assignment or script given to him. He worked across all genres and he costarred with almost all the top female actresses of his generation.

Lemmon is a character actor who was able to fool producers into thinking he was a leading man. He gave many remarkable performances. He was at his best opposite Judy Holliday, Doris Day, Sandy Dennis and Anne Bancroft. And of course opposite his buddy Walter Matthau.

Sinatra is like Powell in that he was a hit with music fans as well as film and TV audiences. At a certain point Sinatra IS the story and the characters he plays serve his larger-than-life persona. I remember around 2000 I went to the wake for a coworker's father who had recently passed away. They were Italian and the mortuary played Sinatra songs over the loud speaker because her dad loved Sinatra. An Italian-American wanted his idol with him in life and in death. This told me how timeless Sinatra is for that culture. For all of us.

ONCE AGAIN COOL BEANS-(a longtime fmr girlfriend-("Stripper" But dig this Gwen looks just like Sean Young!) always said that)  I knew your favs & immediately put them in with my files-(dating back & of course growing ever since 1980/81)

Mostly hope to get your views on what the S & S did 6yrs ago. This was so important-(due to the "KANE" losing finally) it was everywhere.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

This is from my profile:

FAVORITE STARS
Male 
1. Dick Powell
2. James Garner
3. Fred MacMurray
4. Jack Lemmon
5. Frank Sinatra

thanks again buddy!  Was wondering if anyone would take part  I put a few in favorite's too, but this topic belongsin general

OUR BIGGEST DSAGREEMENT Dick Powell though   Heard the famed story from June Allyson on a tcm bite, that she was torn between him & Alan Ladd?

OOPS, MORE KUDOS ARE OWED  *S.I.N.A.T.R.A!!!

• Like 1

Spence;  What are some of the specific criteria you use for 'greatest' as it relates to acting?     Now one's favorite is easy to define and 100% subjective,  but for greatest one needs some criteria.    E.g. ability to do comedy?   Play a historical character?  etc....

I never judge 'greatest' when it comes to acting since I'm NOT an actor,   I lack knowledge of related to the art of acting, and I feel that any criteria is too subjective. 

When the topic is Jazz Guitar,  I'll 'play ball' because I have played jazz guitar for decades and there is some objective skill criteria one can use, like use of complex chord voicing,  double-stops,  etc... to determine the cream of the crop. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Spence;  What are some of the specific criteria you use for 'greatest' as it relates to acting?     Now one's favorite is easy to define and 100% subjective,  but for greatest one needs some criteria.    E.g. ability to do comedy?   Play a historical character?  etc....

I never judge 'greatest' when it comes to acting since I'm NOT an actor,   I lack knowledge of related to the art of acting, and I feel that any criteria is too subjective. 

When the topic is Jazz Guitar,  I'll 'play ball' because I have played jazz guitar for decades and there is some objective skill criteria one can use, like use of complex chord voicing,  double-stops,  etc... to determine the cream of the crop. 

Speaking  of the huge AFI special & poll, or me?   That's why I tried to keep all separate

Even though *FS is my #1 idol-(& a powerful actor when calls on it  see "Suddenly" "Man With the Golden Arm"-(his vote as his best work as an actor!) "Some Came Running"-(both  *Scorsese's top ten) & not far from mine, then there is the brilliant "M. Candidate"

1 hour ago, spence said:

thanks again buddy!  Was wondering if anyone would take part  I put a few in favorite's too, but this topic belongsin g

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Are you gonna' submit yours?-(speaking to JamestheGuitar)

OUR BIGGEST DSAGREEMENT Dick Powell though   Heard the famed story from June Allyson on a tcm bite, that she was torn between him & Alan Ladd?

2 hours ago, spence said:

hanks again buddy!  Was wondering if anyone would take part  I put a few in favorite's too, but this topic belongs in in  general-(way more readers)

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

This is from my profile:

FAVORITE STARS
Male 
1. Dick Powell
2. James Garner
3. Fred MacMurray
4. Jack Lemmon
5. Frank Sinatra

Hey pal, remember those must save 2 Ken Murray-(l903-88) "Hollywood, My Hometown" & "Hollywood, Without Make-up?" Ken visited Fred M during shooting of his "Flubber" & "Son of Flubber" of course at *WALT DISNEY STUDIOS in Burbank, Most of them seem to be based in Burbank

(P.S. Keep eye out for my follow-up)

2 hours ago, spence said:

4 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Speaking of "Flop Threads" I would like to propose a competition to see who can write the best "Flop Thread", TB though I highly doubt you would be good at it.

I hate to brag but I think I am highly talented in this area and could win. 

Spence, some of us are extremely old and decrepit and don't have long attention spans as we have to get our walkers every few minutes to go to the medicine cabinet and dole out some medicinal support, and perhaps this is why we cannot respond to your threads, which can be consuming. Also I might not have long to live, being a total couch potato who can barely move to hit the remote button for my tv, and my brain is addled so I got a bit confused reading all the requirements of your post on this spot. I wanted to answer but my brain was unable to totally comprehend the question of my choices being both a favorite performer and a talented one, with both needs met.

Perhaps you could make the questions a bit easier for those of us who are failing rapidly? Also, less CAPS would help as my eyesight goes in and out as I read, which means I have to reach constantly for my spectacles.

Enjoy your posts, Spence but take some pity on those of us in the geriatric mold who can't see, can't move much and can't type well or fast enough to satisfy your hopes and aspirations.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

Speaking of "Flop Threads" I would like to propose a competition to see who can write the best "Flop Thread", TB though I highly doubt you would be good at it.

I hate to brag but I think I am highly talented in this area and could win. 

Spence, some of us are extremely old and decrepit and don't have long attention spans as we have to get our walkers every few minutes to go to the medicine cabinet and dole out some medicinal support, and perhaps this is why we cannot respond to your threads, which can be consuming. Also I might not have long to live, being a total couch potato who can barely move to hit the remote button for my tv, and my brain is addled so I got a bit confused reading all the requirements of your post on this spot. I wanted to answer but my brain was unable to totally comprehend the question of my choices being both a favorite performer and a talented one, with both needs met.

Perhaps you could make the questions a bit easier for those of us who are failing rapidly? Also, less CAPS would help as my eyesight goes in and out as I read, which means I have to reach constantly for my spectacles.

Enjoy your posts, Spence but take some pity on those of us in the geriatric mold who can't see, can't move much and can't type well or fast enough to satisfy your hopes and aspirations.

Thanks for the laugh. The part about heading to the medicine cabinet was hilarious!

• Thanks 1

Below is what I posted in another thread that was created by Spence on the exact same topic:

First,  I'm not going to list 'greatest' actors or actresses because I don't have enough knowledge of the acting profession to do so (but hey, ask me about the greatest guitar players and you will get a list that can't be questioned,  ha ha).

So here are my favorite actors and actresses.    Clearly favorites since some like Errol Flynn or Alan Ladd are not as solid as actors as Spencer Tracy (hey I know that much),  but they are the lead in some of my favorite films.

Leslie Howard

Humphrey Bogart

Cary Grant

Robert Mitchum

William Powell

James Cagney

Gary Cooper

Errol Flynn

Alan Ladd

John Garfield

Bette Davis

Barbara Stanwyck

Olivia DeHavilland

Jean Arthur

Carol Lombard

Audrey Hepburn

Katherine Hepburn

Rosalind Russell

Myrna Loy

Joan Crawford

• Like 1

POLL: your favs. VS. actual best?

Isn't that the eternal Hollywood question ?

There are those who are considered to have great acting skill. And then there are those who can sell lots of tickets at the box office. Who depends on whom ? I have nothing against award shows, I watch them sometimes. But, I wouldn't proclaim a film good because it got awards or bad because it doesn't.

There are so many genres of film, so many different reasons why a person will watch a film. Who is to which is the best ? We all certainly know which are our favorites.

I look at the films in the theaters passing a billion dollar gross with ease. I don't see too many best acting nominees there. Doesn't mean the films are any less important in the development of the medium.

And with old Hollywood, I'm getting afraid to make lists because I am still finding actors I either never knew about or am now seeing their performances in a new light. And of course there are those whom are regarded as greats whom I don't care for.

Its all subjective really. But, I do enjoy reading others' lists. 🙂

33 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

POLL: your favs. VS. actual best?

Isn't that the eternal Hollywood question ?

There are those who are considered to have great acting skill. And then there are those who can sell lots of tickets at the box office. Who depends on whom ? I have nothing against award shows, I watch them sometimes. But, I wouldn't proclaim a film good because it got awards or bad because it doesn't.

There are so many genres of film, so many different reasons why a person will watch a film. Who is to which is the best ? We all certainly know which are our favorites.

I look at the films in the theaters passing a billion dollar gross with ease. I don't see too many best acting nominees there. Doesn't mean the films are any less important in the development of the medium.

And with old Hollywood, I'm getting afraid to make lists because I am still finding actors I either never knew about or am now seeing their performances in a new light. And of course there are those whom are regarded as greats whom I don't care for.

Its all subjective really. But, I do enjoy reading others' lists. 🙂

Well said;   I also very acting to be very subjective but not something like playing jazz guitar.   At the jazz guitar forum there is also this same "eternal question".    The difference is that there is somewhat of an agree upon criteria for 'greatness' and many of the posters there are top notch guitar players (e.g. I have their albums),  and I feel their opinions are somewhat more meaningful then us amateurs.     

It would be great if some of the top actors living today participated in this forum and provided their opinions but of course that isn't going to happen.    

16 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

However, this was a fine-line between favs & gen.  

AND, as I promised you TCM-ITES, I'd later try & post the same AFI's100 Years 100 Stars" (l999 poll) & was also on CBS-TV, simultaneously with the forementioned actors votes (June of 1999) (*-Oscar marker)

AFI's 100yrs...100 Stars" (Actresses) & again all winners must have been born on or before 1950 to qualify)

1st place *Katharine Hepburn (l907-2003) (WINNER, but she wouldn't have cared

15 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Thanks for the laugh. The part about heading to the medicine cabinet was hilarious!

What is a Flop Thread pal?

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 8:42 AM, spence said:

AND, as I promised you TCM-ITES, I'd later try & post the same AFI's100 Years 100 Stars" (l999 poll) & was also on CBS-TV, simultaneously with the forementioned actors votes (June of 1999) (*-Oscar marker)-(NOTE: WHERE ARE THOSE I ALREADY POSTED BY THE WAY?) Because these are not really favorites, but surveys of others???)

AFI's 100yrs...100 Stars" (Actresses) & again all winners must have been born on or before 1950 to qualify)

1st place *Katharine Hepburn (l907-2003) (WINNER, but she wouldn't have cared)

2 *Bette Davis (l908-89)

3. *Audrey Hepburn (l929-93)

4. *Ingrid Bergman (l9l5-l982)-(nowadays the *AMPAS usually votes for *Kate as #! ever, but historians, critics & such still say it's GARBO)

5th place Greta Garbo (l905-90)-2nd greatest I've ever seen on "The Silver-Screen") & I know she's an acquired taste of course

6. Marilyn Monroe (926-62)

7. *Elizabeth Taylor (932-2011)

8. Judy Garland (l922-69)

9. Marlene Dietrich (l90l-92)

10th place in voting *Joan Crawford

(ALSO-RANS):

11th Barbara Stanwyck (l907-90)

& 13th *Claudette Colbert (l903-96)

& LIKE SOME OF YOU FOLKS My own personal all-time fav. ladies of the movies:

1stly Natalie Wood-(even over a yr before she went way) OR NATASHA NIKLOLAEVNIA ZAKHERENKO

2. Garbo

3. *K. Hepburn

4. Winona Ryder

5th fav today Michelle Pfeiffer-(barely over *Streep & Stanwyck or *Ingrid)-(TRIVIA: *Tracy's fav. actress to work with ever, except one)

VS. 

& finest "ALIVE"

1st place in my voting *Meryl Streep-(her *Oscar records have only started & at age 49!)

2nd Greta Garbo

3rd *Katharine Hepburn

4th greatest *Bergman

& 5th *Vivien Leigh

HOPE TO COVER THOSE MAREVELOUS FILMMAKERS/DIRECTORS BEHGIND THE CAMERAS   Problem being & it's asinine AFI has never had a special on them yet

They even did a massive 2006 "100yrs..of Movie Music" in the Hollywood Bowl with *J. Williams conducting no less-(got very little coverage. Though I have entire print out for those interested?

NOTHING OF MY FAV ALL-TIME LADY NATALIE I RECKON'

(ATTENTION FOR BELOW, What is a Flop Thread buddy?

What is a Flop Thread pal?

Flop threads are threads that are not very popular with other posters. Meaning they don't get much response. Most of us have created threads that didn't catch on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Below is what I posted in another thread that was created by Spence on the exact same topic:

First,  I'm not going to list 'greatest' actors or actresses because I don't have enough knowledge of the acting profession to do so (but hey, ask me about the greatest guitar players and you will get a list that can't be questioned,  ha ha).

So here are my favorite actors and actresses.    Clearly favorites since some like Errol Flynn or Alan Ladd are not as solid as actors as Spencer Tracy (hey I know that much),  but they are the lead in some of my favorite films.

Leslie Howard

Humphrey Bogart

Cary Grant

Robert Mitchum

William Powell

James Cagney

Gary Cooper

Errol Flynn

Alan Ladd

John Garfield

Bette Davis

Barbara Stanwyck

Olivia DeHavilland

Jean Arthur

Carol Lombard

Audrey Hepburn

Katherine Hepburn

Rosalind Russell

Myrna Loy

Joan Crawford

Okay, so "greatest guitar player' might be Django Reinhardt or Jimi Hendrix? 

Remember, Django was operating under that disability of having fused fingers from the fire...