spence

Movies that changed your life?

6 posts in this topic

May have previously been written about, just in case.  What true cinefan has seen at least 1 new release & it not only gave you the goosebumps, but made you shake a wee-bit, because our were ever so transfixed on said MOVIE?

& it carried over, even after watching it many times again over the years, that actually gave you a new look on life & or even altered your life because you were so enamored with it???

(F00TNOTE: My local talk radio station did such a survey of callers & there were LOTS, the one that stood out was some young fella & without pause or humility said "GOODFELLAS"

Plus several young dancers-(GIRLS) said a certain film also inspired them enough to change their life & a lot more

THERE ARE MILLIONS OUT THERE THAT MOVIES HAD THAT EFFECT ON THEM AS WELL

The Mark of Zorro (1940). It set me on the path to exploring the world of movies and becoming who I am today.

• Like 2

• My Fair Lady (1964) was one of the first musicals I was ever exposed to, and I was obsessed with it from age 3 to age... now. It started my obsession with Broadway musicals. 
  • That's Entertainment: got me back on the path of watching old movies in high school after a long hiatus. 

1. Star Wars Trilogy

My parents babysat me with these movies and I had seen them dozens of times before I can even remember watching them, plus dozens if not hundreds of times since. They were my favorite movies growing up and in many ways shaped my ethos and moral character. Looking back as an adult, The Empire Strikes Back ranks as the best.

2. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

I also grew up in middle America, where it was laughed at if the people in the movies couldn't speak English. The idea of watching subtitles was ... a joke? One summer when I was 18 or 19 we finally had the ability to order movies through the TV at home. This film was the top release so I watched it and loved every minute. A truly excellent film and suddenly, I had no problem watching movies with subtitles. In the following years, I would watch other foreign films or anime that had optional subs or English dubs. I discovered that watching films and TV shows in their natural language was a far superior experience. Before long I was watching more foreign films, more classic Hollywood films, even silent pictures too. This one helped me escape that narrow pop-culture world.

3. Late Spring

This has been the film that has had the most profound impact on me as an adult. I've seen plenty of good and bad movies before, but Late Spring is the most perfect and its elusiveness is its defining characteristic. You spend your whole life watching and studying filmmaking, learning that stories are made of dramatic moments, that we come to know our favorite characters better than we know ourselves -- and yet, here is an extraordinarily profound and moving motion picture that has virtually none of that. Just hearing the title music over the opening credits is enough to make my heart beat faster and my eyes water. Truly love at first sight.

I think regardless, one thing I've learned from my years of watching films is that I appreciate depth, subtext, and extraordinarily meticulous mise-en-scene. There is no better praise that I can bestow upon a film than it adheres to unity of composition, and that each re-watch brings with it new discoveries and new pleasures.

• Like 1

There are two movies that I would say changed my life in that I came to appreciate what film could be by watching them. This was back in the early 80’s and I spent way too much money to buy a VCR so I could record Letterman every night since I was working or studying most nights. One weekend, I rented and made bootleg copies of Videodrome and 2001. I watched them both over and over again and would try to get my friends to appreciate them. VHS movie rentals were like magic to a farm kid that grew up with 3 channels on the TV. 

• Like 2