[[Template core/front/global/tcmTabBar is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
spence

Bull Durham voted #1 all-time best sports movie

46 posts in this topic

I saw this either online or the net, month  ago but felt is fairly silly to post here   There was a fairly big orginization & had lots of current pro athletes, spots buffs, columnist & more voting on the top 3 to 5 all-time great sports pictures. I immediately thought "R. Bull" would take it in a walk, as it did with all the polls on cinema at end of the 1989's, but it was voted as 1988's fun & terrific "Bull Durham" ($41m.) instead???

I was dumbfounded to say the least

 

& they counted them down to from 0-to10   Yeah "R. Bull" was close, but off outing to ladies' "Field of Dreams" "The Natural" & others

But of course nothing old w/th4ese types, such as "Pride of the Yankees?" As for me '99's pretty good (**1/2) "Any Given Sunday" was missing from it's overall ten & especially the greatest football film yet produced "North Dallas Forty" was nada???

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, spence said:

I saw this either online or the net, month  ago but felt is fairly silly to post here   There was a fairly big orginization & had lots of current pro athletes, spots buffs, columnist & more voting on the top 3 to 5 all-time great sports pictures. I immediately thought "R. Bull" would take it in a walk, as it did with all the polls on cinema at end of the 1989's, but it was voted as 1988's fun & terrific "Bull Durham" ($41m.) instead???

I was dumbfounded to say the least

I'm with you on this one, Spence. I thought BULL DURHAM was awful the first time I saw it as a teen and I still think it's awful.

I'd pick something like THE PRIDE OF THE YANKEES as the best sports movie of all time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Bull Durham, but then it is set in area near where I live.  Still a good movie regardless of where it is set.

I think Kevin Costner's best movies are the ones where round balls figure into it.

Tried to find this list, but apparently there are hundreds of different Best or Top XXX sports movies.  Regardless, impossible to determine a best as so many are different categories to begin with.  Dramas, comedies, biographical, inspirational, etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TheCid said:

I like Bull Durham, but then it is set in area near where I live.  Still a good movie regardless of where it is set.

I think Kevin Costner's best movies are the ones where round balls figure into it.

Tried to find this list, but apparently there are hundreds of different Best or Top XXX sports movies.  Regardless, impossible to determine a best as so many are different categories to begin with.  Dramas, comedies, biographical, inspirational, etc. 

Maybe Bull Durham ranked as 'best' by this poll because it was a combination of drama, comedy and was inspirational.    I also liked it but I'm wouldn't say it is my favorite sports movie.

Note that I don't view Pride of the Yankees as a sports movie,  but instead a biography of a sports figure that died a major death.   To me a sports movie has to revolve around the sport and Pride of the Yankees is mostly a love story (and one that packs a powerful punch,,,and where I always cry at the end).   Also my wife is moved by POTY and she doesn't like sport movies.

Just off the top of my head I would say Moneyball is my favorite sports movie.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Maybe Bull Durham ranked as 'best' by this poll because it was a combination of drama, comedy and was inspirational.    I also liked it but I'm wouldn't say it is my favorite sports movie.

Note that I don't view Pride of the Yankees as a sports movie,  but instead a biography of a sports figure that died a major death.   To me a sports movie has to revolve around the sport and Pride of the Yankees is mostly a love story (and one that packs a powerful punch,,,and where I always cry at the end).   Also my wife is moved by POTY and she doesn't like sport movies.

Just off the top of my head I would say Moneyball is my favorite sports movie.   

On wiki THE PRIDE OF THE YANKEES is listed under the tab for "Sports films based on actual events."

The Genre tab on the TCM database page for the movie classifies it six ways-- 

Screen Shot 2018-05-15 at 4.02.34 PM.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Screen Shot 2018-05-15 at 4.10.24 PM.jpg

My favorite sports movies:

1. THE PRIDE OF THE YANKEES (1942)
2. ROLLERBALL (1975)
3. THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME (1932)
4. ROCKY (1976)
5. MAN'S FAVORITE SPORT? (1964)

I also love The White Shadow television series starring Ken Howard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

On wiki THE PRIDE OF THE YANKEES is listed under the tab for "Sports films based on actual events."

The Genre tab on the TCM database page for the movie classifies it six ways-- 

Screen Shot 2018-05-15 at 4.02.34 PM.jpg

Hey, that is funny.    I guess it can be classified in many different ways,  but to me it is still more of a love story and a biography then it is a sports \ baseball movie.   (because the game of baseball is NOT the focus of the film like Moneyball,  Bull Durham, or even Bang the Drum Solely).

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Hey, that is funny.    I guess it can be classified in many different ways,  but to me it is still more of a love story and a biography then it is a sports \ baseball movie.   (because the game of baseball is NOT the focus of the film like Moneyball,  Bull Durham, or even Bang the Drum Solely).

 

Wait! THAT'S not a movie about Baseball EITHER, James!

THAT one's about some dude who's in the percussion section of an orchestra who erroneously thinks his talents lay more with his questionable violin playing and so keeps attempting to break into the orchestra's string section, but keeps getting his aspirations stifled by the conductor's continual admonition to stick with what he's best at, isn't it??? And hence the title of that movie!

Well, at least that's how I remember that little remembered movie's plot went anyway. Of course it HAS been many years since I've seen that flick and so my memory might be a bit sketchy here, you understand.

(...sorry, just couldn't resist...as I'm sure you really know, the title of the movie you've referenced is "Bang the Drum Slowly")  ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Btw, I'd say one of my favorite films with a sports theme would be Angels in the Outfield.

(...yep, even us agnostics like a good baseball movie now and then) ;)

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favorite sports movie (hands down) is Hoosiers!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two of Paul Newman's films rank high on my list--The Hustler and Slap Shot.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Screen Shot 2018-05-15 at 4.10.24 PM.jpg

My favorite sports movies:


5. MAN'S FAVORITE SPORT? (1964)

 

One of my favorite movies, but I never thought of it as a sports movie.  Of course, fishing is a sport.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I'm with you on this one, Spence. I thought BULL DURHAM was awful the first time I saw it as a teen and I still think it's awful.

I'd pick something like THE PRIDE OF THE YANKEES as the best sports movie of all time.

I had at first thought it would have *Coop's film in there, that site was obviously gearing for younger readers though?

 

& in this pathetic era Boxing is not in thesedays?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To al, I apologize on my citing the marvelous 1988 "Bull Durham" ($41m.)-(P.S.*Sarandon was snubbed in not getting another shot & went into a funk afterward)

 

Just about 3 minutes ago I listed the so called top 30 all-time greatest sports pix on Rolling Stone.com & I think they moved "Durham": down a bit though?

 

Here they are & again to most nothing from classic Hollywood?

1st place "Hoop Dreams" (l994)

2.*"ROCKY" (l976)

3. "Bad News Bears?" (l976)

4th place & outrageously so far down RS' list "Raging Bull" (l980)

5th place in it's voting & editing team is "Caddyshack" (l980)

6.  "Bull Durham" (l988)-(& as I said at one time on this famed site it was A #1)

7. "Slap Shot" (l977)

8. "When We Were Kings" (l996-*Oscar winning docu & tremendous!)

9. "Sienna' (YOU GOT ME?)

& 10th place was/is for now anyway "Friday Night Lights" (04)-(the terrific 1986 "Hoosiers" I think came in at #11th or #12th place

 

I cross checked on about 5 websites trying to locate these

 

AS USUAL PLEASE SEND YOUR VIEWS

 

(P.S. Not my top #10 favs, but the top #5 candidates are> WHERE IS LENI RIEFENSTHAL'S 2 "Olympia docu's?"

"R. Bull"-(& easily among the overall greatest films ever produced! & only grossed $13m. inititially  *De Niro tried to tell *Scorsese that poster would turn off the ladies & obviously it did))

*"Rocky"

*Million Dollar Baby" (04)

"Pride of the Yankees" (l942)

"Cinderella Man" (05)

 

THANK YOU!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree & can't believe it that I also forgot about that 4 time *Oscar sweeper-(deserved too)

 

Matter of fact-(though I;m a boxing buff all the way since the mid 1970's, when we had true giants ALI, FRAZIER, FOREMAN & NORTON!)

 

But have a problem with the ladies boxing-(there was another that got strong reviews "Girlfight")

 

But I'd go so far as rating *"MDB" my runner-up favorite release of the 2000's

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, spence said:

To al, I apologize on my citing the marvelous 1988 "Bull Durham" ($41m.)-(P.S.*Sarandon was snubbed in not getting another shot & went into a funk afterward)

 

Just about 3 minutes ago I listed the so called top 30 all-time greatest sports pix on Rolling Stone.com & I think they moved "Durham": down a bit though?

 

Here they are & again to most nothing from classic Hollywood?

1st place "Hoop Dreams" (l994)

2.*"ROCKY" (l976)

3. "Bad News Bears?" (l976)

4th place & outrageously so far down RS' list "Raging Bull" (l980)

5th place in it's voting & editing team is "Caddyshack" (l980)

6.  "Bull Durham" (l988)-(& as I said at one time on this famed site it was A #1)

7. "Slap Shot" (l977)

8. "When We Were Kings" (l996-*Oscar winning docu & tremendous!)

9. "Sienna' (YOU GOT ME?)

& 10th place was/is for now anyway "Friday Night Lights" (04)-(the terrific 1986 "Hoosiers" I think came in at #11th or #12th place

 

I cross checked on about 5 websites trying to locate these

 

AS USUAL PLEASE SEND YOUR VIEWS

 

(P.S. Not my top #10 favs, but the top #5 candidates are> WHERE IS LENI RIEFENSTHAL'S 2 "Olympia docu's?"

"R. Bull"-(& easily among the overall greatest films ever produced! & only grossed $13m. inititially  *De Niro tried to tell *Scorsese that poster would turn off the ladies & obviously it did))

*"Rocky"

*Million Dollar Baby" (04)

"Pride of the Yankees" (l942)

"Cinderella Man" (05)-(NOTE: Many put down the *Crowe, *Zellewger & *Ron Howard bio, I musta seen it around 30 times since the theatre & found it pitch perfect on every level) Paul Giamatti was it's only shot?

 

THANK YOU!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TheCid said:

One of my favorite movies, but I never thought of it as a sports movie.  Of course, fishing is a sport.

But what then about *Tracy's epic 1958 "Old Man and the Sea?"

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OUTRAGEOUS FOR RS to even include the fun "Bad News Bears" in there?

 

& where in the hell is *"CHARIOTS OF FIRE?"

 

I 4-get is "Field of Dreams" or "North Dallas Forty" in it's top ten from 30?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By far in Tinsel-Town has there been a ton more on the most viscous sport of them all BOXING!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(TRIVIA/FUN: reason you see ever so many sports films helmed by Ron Shelton is he started with the games  "Field of Dreams" "White Men Can't Jump" "Cobb" "Tin Cup" & others, he got hitched to Lolita Davidovich when shooting the good (***) "Blaze"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't say BULL DURHAM is a favorite of mine. I don't exactly hate it, but it's certainly not what I would call 'the best sports movie ever'.

An underrated movie that I appreciate very much is EIGHT MEN OUT. It deals with the infamous White Sox scandal of 1919, and it does such a superb job of recreating the period, plus many fine performances all around (especially by John Cusack as Buck Weaver).

Also love MILLION DOLLAR BABY and CINDERELLA MAN, and I generally don't like boxing as a sport at all.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surprised A League of Their Own isn't showing up.  Another of my favorite movies.  I am opposed to boxing and any movies/TV shows about boxing.  It is not a sport.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheCid said:

Surprised A League of Their Own isn't showing up.  Another of my favorite movies.  I am opposed to boxing and any movies/TV shows about boxing.  It is not a sport.

Sorry Cid, but I'm gonna have to disagree with ya here.

You see, while you may have personal qualms against it due to its brutal nature, Boxing IS a sport, as it's an athletic endeavor. 

But, because fishing and hunting in most cases usually doesn't involve any athletics, those are NOT "sports", and so I consider them just "activities".

(...although of course, there will be some who will disagree with me about this too)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I'm with you on this one, Spence. I thought BULL DURHAM was awful the first time I saw it as a teen and I still think it's awful.

I'd pick something like THE PRIDE OF THE YANKEES as the best sports movie of all time.

TB, don't you think "Hoosiers" should be up there and on the list?

Also maybe "The Great White Hope" about Jack Johnson.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us