17 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Screen Shot 2018-05-15 at 4.10.24 PM.jpg

My favorite sports movies:

1. THE PRIDE OF THE YANKEES (1942)
2. ROLLERBALL (1975)
3. THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME (1932)
4. ROCKY (1976)
5. MAN'S FAVORITE SPORT? (1964)

I also love The White Shadow television series starring Ken Howard.

Whoa, whoa, whoa!!! "The Most Dangerous Game" is a "sports" movie?

To who, Count Zarkoff?

Oops, that should be Count Zaroff! I got my Counts confused. 

17 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Hey, that is funny.    I guess it can be classified in many different ways,  but to me it is still more of a love story and a biography then it is a sports \ baseball movie.   (because the game of baseball is NOT the focus of the film like Moneyball,  Bull Durham, or even Bang the Drum Solely).

You made a new movie, with "Bang the Drum Soley"! Which is okay because I love that movie, and of course I also even love the song, "Bang the Drum Slowly" which I researched once and it was based on an English folk song about a soldier, who was not shot, but had syphilis, which is why he is "wrapped in white linen" which doesn't sound much like a cowboy song does it? DeNiro gives his most winning performance of all time in that film, since he is so un-DeNiro like. A totally beautiful piece of acting by all in the movie for sure. Thanks for mentioning it, James.

16 hours ago, Dargo said:

Btw, I'd say one of my favorite films with a sports theme would be Angels in the Outfield.

(...yep, even us agnostics like a good baseball movie now and then) ;)

I thought your favorite sports movie was "Son of Flubber", Dargo.

9 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

I thought your favorite sports movie was "Son of Flubber", Dargo.

LOL

Well, any movie that contains a successful 98 yard field goal as the final gun is sounded, is always worth watching ya know, CG! ;)

9 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa!!! "The Most Dangerous Game" is a "sports" movie?

To who, Count Zarkoff?

Oops, that should be Count Zaroff! I got my Counts confused. 

Big game hunting is a sport. In this case it's quite sinister.

I also like THE MACOMBER AFFAIR and THE SNOWS OF KILIMANJARO.

32 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Big game hunting is a sport. In this case it's quite sinister.

I also like THE MACOMBER AFFAIR and THE SNOWS OF KILIMANJARO.

Now TB! Did I NOT just earlier correct the assumption in this thread that Hunting is NOT a "sport"??? 

And, I don't care if it's the "Big Game" variety or NOT!

Look dude, even in those two flicks, NOBODY is involved in any sort of "athletic competition" are they? Hence, once again, AND I don't care WHAT any hunters out there may tell you, Hunting is NOT a "SPORT"! It's an "ACTIVITY"!!!

HECK dude! I'd LOVE to get just ONE of those many overweight and out of shape hunters out there on the tennis court(a REAL sport, btw) and run their fat butts around for an hour or two! THEN they'd know what a real sport IS!!!

(...ya know, I'll expect to hear from SanFins any time now!) ;)

LOL 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Now TB! Did I NOT just earlier correct the assumption in this thread that Hunting is NOT a "sport"??? 

And, I don't care if it's the "Big Game" variety or NOT!

Look dude, even in those two flicks, NOBODY is involved in any sort of "athletic competition" are they? Hence, once again, AND I don't care WHAT any hunters out there may tell you, Hunting is NOT a "SPORT"! It's an "ACTIVITY"!!!

(...ya know, I'll expect to hear from SanFins any time now!) ;)

LOL 

Funny, Dargo. But what would you say about fishing? That's not exactly athletic, or is it?

I should add that in THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME, Fay Wray & Joel McCrea get quite a workout staying one step ahead of death. LOL

Golf: CaddyshackThe Greatest Game Ever Played

Bowling: The Big LebowskiKingpin

Ping Pong: Balls of Fury

Hockey: Slap ShotMystery, AlaskaMiracle

Running: PrefontaineWithout Limits

Bicycling: Breaking AwayThe Flying Scotsman

Skiing: Better Off DeadEddie the Eagle

Soccer: VictoryBend It Like BeckhamMean MachineShaolin Soccer

Curling: Men with Brooms

Drag racing: Fast CompanyHeart Like a Wheel

Roller derby: Whip ItKansas City BomberUnholy Rollers

Dodgeball: Dodgeball

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Funny, Dargo. But what would you say about fishing? That's not exactly athletic, or is it?

I should add that in THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME, Fay Wray & Joel McCrea get quite a workout staying one step ahead of death. LOL

Well first, I also mentioned earlier that along with Hunting, that Fishing isn't a real sport either.

And secondly, for some reason the "sport" of "Human Hunting", and where it WOULD of course BE of some use to BE "athletic" IF you were or are somehow the prey, never really "caught on" much, ya know, and for obvious reasons.

(...nobody ever wants to be the prey...just ask Fay and Joel...oh, and Cornel Wilde too!) ;)

LOL

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Well first, I also mentioned earlier that along with Hunting, that Fishing isn't a real sport either.

And secondly, for some reason the "sport" of "Human Hunting", and where it WOULD of course BE of some use to BE "athletic" IF you were or are somehow the prey, never really "caught on" much, ya know, and for obvious reasons.

(...nobody ever wants to be the prey...just ask Fay and Joel...oh, and Cornel Wilde too!) ;)

LOL

I had missed your earlier post in the thread which you keep referencing. As for the old sports vs. activity debate, it reminds me of the category in Trivial Pursuit called Sports & Leisure (where they're sort of grouped together).

14 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I had missed your earlier post in the thread which you keep referencing. As for the old sports vs. activity debate, it reminds me of the category in Trivial Pursuit called Sports & Leisure (where they're sort of grouped together).

Top, did you see that (REVISED) list posted by Rolling Stone yet? Go check it out please   "B. Durham" was about #4th

I just posted that updated list by Rolling Stone.com the one's that truly should be conducting these sports polls are Sports Illustrated instead

LET ME KNOWE IF YOU FIND IT OK

15 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

1998 cult flick "Big Lebowski" actually only took in $17m., at the time, but has as you know gained as huge cut following  (TRIVIA: When I went to Venice Beach in 05, Jim Morrison Murals were every where & mostly where they shot it too!

7 minutes ago, spence said:

Top, did you see that (REVISED) list posted by Rolling Stone yet? Go check it out please   "B. Durham" was about #4th

I just posted that updated list by Rolling Stone.com the one's that truly should be conducting these sports polls are Sports Illustrated instead

LET ME KNOWE IF YOU FIND IT OK

Okay, thanks Spence!

15 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Great list,  but no boxing?    I ask because there have been many films on Boxing and I assume some,  like Raging Bull,  are consider to be at the top of any list of greatest sports movies.

27 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Great list,  but no boxing?    I ask because there have been many films on Boxing and I assume some,  like Raging Bull,  are consider to be at the top of any list of greatest sports movies.

I didn't include any of the chief American sports that are most frequently filmed: boxing, baseball, football, basketball. I agree that boxing is the most cinematic sport, followed closely by baseball. 

The first listed for each is my favorite, the rest in no particular order, only that I liked them all.

Boxing: Raging Bull, CreedKid Galahad (1937), They Made Me a CriminalBody and SoulChampionGentleman JimThe Set-UpThe Great White HopeFat CityAliMillion Dollar BabyThe Fighter (2010)

Baseball: The NaturalMajor LeagueBang the Drum SlowlyThe Pride of the YankeesFear Strikes OutBull DurhamMoneyball42

Football: North Dallas FortyThe Longest YardThe FreshmanHorse FeathersBrian's Song

Basketball: Hoop DreamsHoosiersTeen WolfWhite Men Can't JumpHe Got Game

MMA (Mixed Martial Arts): WarriorRedbelt 

• Like 2

I don't get the BULL DURHAM thing either.  To me, it didn't live up to all the hype.

IMHO, a good "sports movie" works better if it has a "feel good" and "triumph over obstacles"  vibe to it. one or the other or both.  Which is why THE NATURAL and the 1st ROCKY works for me too.  Plus, if you don't like the sport, you're likely not to care for a MOVIE centered around it or the players.  Which is why Basketball movies don't move me.  

And maybe too, a well made docudrama about an actual sporting event that contains the elements I mentioned.  Like 2004's MIRACLE, about the 1980 U.S. men's Olympic hockey team's defeat of the Soviet team.  Both "feel good" AND "triumphant".

Sepiatone

Throw rocks all you want, but one of my favorite sports movies is "Major League". It is ridiculous, it is crude, and I love it. It makes me appreciate "Wild Thing" more than I did in the first place, and the showgirl made owner of the Cleveland Indians by widowhood has the classic line - "I hate that ******* song". Another great line - "Are you trying to tell me that Jesus Christ can't hit a curve ball?". Plus there  is Wesley Snipes before he tried to be Sylvester Stallone, and Charlie Sheen decades before he looked like a living corpse.

• Like 1