starstricken

Dreaded ''Not Authorized" Window

6 posts in this topic

Here we go again.  Just when I thought that tcm had finally gotten its act together, I was dead wrong.  The first sign of trouble tonight occurred when I was asked to sign in with my tv provider (Verizon), a message which I haven't received in several months.  I signed in to Verizon and then clicked onto the movie of choice and then comes the dreaded box "You are not authorized by your tv carrier to view this content", which is nothing but a load of hogwash because I AM authorized to view tcm by my tv carrier, Verizon.  Unfortunately, I have been through this exercise too many times before.  I know that good ole Microsoft updated my computer last night.  If that is the cause, I can just forget about convincing them of it.  The real problem is that tcm employes no technicians who can help viewers with these problems. It's back to my old vcr collection.  You can laugh, but it never once has failed me as tcm repeatedly fails me. Anyway, I'm fed up with Mankiewicz's arrogant, "holier than thou" leftist interpretation of everything as he just assumes all tcm viewers automatically share his leftist opinions, which is entirely wrong on his part. I'm very tired of this nonsense over and over again, especially when the only network that I watch is tcm.  Tired of paying Verizon every month for this garbage. Have a nice evening. 

• Thanks 1

I had the same thing happen last night. And still the case this morning.  I've written a comment to TCM but based on this I do not expect any answer.  Extremely frustrating. 

• Sad 2

jersey: I realized that Microsoft did a windows 10 update the night before this tcm problem started. On a hunch and because I have had previous issues with these windows 10 updates before, I contacted Microsoft, and they instructed me to "undo" their update of yesterday, so I did that.  If you have windows 10 and it was updated since you used tcm normally, you might have to reverse that update in order to get tcm to work again.  To me, this sounds crazy as I write it, but it corrected the tcm issue.  Good luck.

Hope all is well in Jersey.  I left 3 years ago and never looked back.

I sure wish that tcm had actual technical assistance.  I never had problems with Million Dollar Movie back in the 50's, but I'm sure that there were too many commercials.  As the immortal Gilda Radner once said, "It's always somethin'".  I hope this helps. Very frustrating! Frank ****

• Thanks 1

This afternoon my access to the site was restored, no more unauthorized access. So now the movies load except I can't watch them as the video is freezing again while the audio continues on. Just tried Stella Dallas, Three Musketeers, Captain Kidd and Hans Christian Andersen.  Guess I'll watch a videotape. As Frank said, very frustrating. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/15/2018 at 10:08 PM, starstricken said:

Here we go again.  Just when I thought that tcm had finally gotten its act together, I was dead wrong.  The first sign of trouble tonight occurred when I was asked to sign in with my tv provider (Verizon), a message which I haven't received in several months.  I signed in to Verizon and then clicked onto the movie of choice and then comes the dreaded box "You are not authorized by your tv carrier to view this content", which is nothing but a load of hogwash because I AM authorized to view tcm by my tv carrier, Verizon.  Unfortunately, I have been through this exercise too many times before.  I know that good ole Microsoft updated my computer last night.  If that is the cause, I can just forget about convincing them of it.  The real problem is that tcm employes no technicians who can help viewers with these problems. ....

Agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments starstricken.
I happened to be checking the list of ON-DEMAND movies (to see which ones would actually begin to load and play) when this "problem began" on Monday (5/14/2018). One moment all was fine, the next minute the little "sign-in" icon in the upper right corner of the screen was greyed out.
I loaded and reloaded TCM, and my browser, even rebooted, to no effect. My download streams checked out okay, and no problem streaming anything from other sites.
I am using Win 7 Pro, and still retain controll of the updates, so, in as much as I would like to agree with you and blame this on Win 10, that wasn't determined to be the root of the problem (this time). 
Nor was it anyone's carrier.
It was a repetition of a symptomatically identical previous "problem" originating with TCM over a year ago. Only that time it persisted for well over a week before there was any resolution.
Exactly the same symptoms, of being unable to "sign-in" or receiving an "unauthorized to view" message.
Back then, there were many posted comments as it appeared to affect everyone.
And at the time, a tremendous amount of trouble-shooting was involved, because "we" are unable to get any feed back from anyone at TCM about anything, (leave off when it comes to any "problem" originating from TCM). And most carriers are always quick to "blame-the-other-guy" regardless.
So after several frustrating days, a handful of us viewer-posters (from various parts of the country) worked in cooperation to determine as best we could what and where this problem was. 
After reloading previous working versions of our browsers and Flashplayers; working with a handful of ISP and TV provider techs that appeared to be receiving the same messages at their end; using both the same and different devices and Operating Systems; the problem was ruled down to a "glitch" at TCM.
After about a week it "spontaneously resolved" when somebody at the TCM finally "woke-up" and "corrected it."

This time, after a brief period of trouble-shooting at my end, I believed that this was the same problem as happened before. I decided to lay-off TCM, and accomplish other tasks, while periodically checking back in to see if there were any comments from others about this. After about two days, I noticed that the "problem" appeared to have again "spontaneously resolved".
I am thinking that coincidentally happened around the same time that starstricken rolled-back from the latest Win 10 update, giving the impression that there was a direct correlation.

Fortunately this most recent event was not near as protracted as the previous one was.
However, TCM was again solely to blame as there was NO user update issues of any kind that required troubleshooting from my end (collaborated by a couple of others as well). One moment "it was working" and the next moment "it wasn't" in real-time at my end.

In this thread, the "No Sign-In" issue was discussed as having occurred previously.

What's Up with TCM ON-DEMAND? Again....???
August 5, 2017

And in this thread, the common issue of "NO TCM response" and "Lack of TCM communication" with any of it's viewer/subscriber/posting members is discussed.
Sadly, TCM refuses to "change for the better" regarding any of this.

Anyone else having problems with the TCM MOVIES ON DEMAND???
November 9, 2015