Sign in to follow this  
CaveGirl

Multiple Release Versions

3 posts in this topic

Admittedly the many differing length versions of the 1973 Robin Hardy directed film, "The Wicker Man" did not all come out simultaneously. The 88 minute version was released in the UK after some criticism was given at the film being a bit long. I think Roger Corman was involved in this revamping process possibly. I've seen the 88 minute version and though good on its own merits after seeing the 99 minute version which was released in the early 2000's, in the wooden box presentation, I can say it was highly improved.

Supposedly the original 102 or 103 minute film, could be lost forever but there was also a Final Cut version that tried to combine elements of both of the above, with the best quality for sound and picture, being sought. Whichever version one sees, the tale by Anthony Shaffer about the disappearance of a child named Rowan on Summersisle, under the auspices of Christopher Lee's rule, is a mesmerizing film. Also starring Edward Woodward as one of the most repressed men extant, with Diane Cilento and Britt Eklund, the film is still a winner.

Can you think of other films with such a muddled history of differing release versions in time or sequences?

On this subject I always think of Blade Runner. I've lost track of how many versions/edits of that there have been. Criterion announced yesterday a new Blu-Ray of Terrence Malick's The Tree of Life with 50 additional minutes. There have been a few of Malick's films with multiple edits. Oliver Stone kept re-releasing Alexander with various re-edits and running times.

• Thanks 1

Oh, yes...perfect example in "Blade Runner". Watching the original version is a bit disorienting but since I've read a lot of Philip K. Dick's books I could figure it out. Haven't seen the later versions. Love Terence Malick and wow, did not realize the added minutes to that film. I wonder if there are differing versions of things like "Badlands"? Thanks, Lawrence for the sage comments.